program

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Sort of. We have some free will, but of course, circumstances may prevent us from doing what we wish. I believe we have a hand in determining our future, but that ours is not the only hand. Our choices matter.

wouldn't that be the most important part of our theology
if
we believed
that
we alone determined our ultimate fate?

TIPlatypus

No, I do not believe that it is we alone who determine our ultimate fate. We have the choice to follow Jesus or not, but whether we do depends on many things.

TIPlatypus

A major factor in whether or not we follow Jesus or not is our free will, but it is not the only one. Have I explained myself better?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
A major factor in whether or not we follow Jesus or not is our free will, but it is not the only one. Have I explained myself better?

no

you have to explain why we can't be sure of our ultimate fate
if
we choose to follow Jesus

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Also, I go to an non-denominational church.
By definition, then, you belong to a denomination. Just one that claims it is not one. :AMR:

In short, a distinction without a difference.

AMR

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I grew up in Baptist churches. From the time I was 5 to 13, the church I attended (Baptist) was a "bow your head and repeat after me" easy believism church patterned after FBC, Hammond, IN (Hyles). When I was 13, I started attending another Baptist Church that taught the Doctrines of Grace (Elect). I attended there until I was 25. I got married there and started our family. At, 25, we left and started attending a Bible Baptist Church. We are still attending that church. We've been there 17 years now.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Baptist bandwidth........

Baptist bandwidth........

I grew up in Baptist churches. From the time I was 5 to 13, the church I attended (Baptist) was a "bow your head and repeat after me" easy believism church patterned after FBC, Hammond, IN (Hyles). When I was 13, I started attending another Baptist Church that taught the Doctrines of Grace (Elect). I attended there until I was 25. I got married there and started our family. At, 25, we left and started attending a Bible Baptist Church. We are still attending that church. We've been there 17 years now.

Seems to be a wide spectrum within Baptist communities, from 'conservative' to more 'liberal', some with 'calvinistic' or 'pentecostal' leanings as well. Would that be a correct observation?

pj

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seems to be a wide spectrum within Baptist communities, from 'conservative' to more 'liberal', some with 'calvinistic' or 'pentecostal' leanings as well. Would that be a correct observation?

pj

That would be a fair observation.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
A 'program' may be no better than not having one.....

A 'program' may be no better than not having one.....

By definition, then, you belong to a denomination. Just one that claims it is not one. :AMR:

In short, a distinction without a difference.

AMR

'Denominations' might be significant to show distinction or specialness in doctrine, theology, community-ethics and culture, but what else is a 'denomination' good for, beyond communicating or expressing that? A 'denomination' is a 'denomination',...however we define such or what value such has is a matter of our own assumptions, personal belief-system and preferred community.

As we've covered here previously, a 'program' is about the same, being a 'denomination' or 'system' of sorts, running along its own course, rituals, rites, tenets of faith, meeting-patterns, etc. Many different 'programs' operate within a religious system, of one kind or another. Who determines which is better or more valuable, depends on the believer adhering to any one of those programs or traditions. Its based on subjective experience on a 'faith' level, and so many objectives outwardly.

On that note, I don't see how any claim to belong to any given 'denomination' is better than an adherence to no particular 'denomination'. The universal reality of 'God' is prior to all these denonimations anyways,...there branching out from universal consciousness so many different conceptual frames or methods of religious practice that we see around the globe. This diversity is self-evident. 'God' is the reality behind all these images and concepts, however we 'denominate' this or that.

'Programs' are created after the fact of 'God', by the evolution of intellect and in some cases revelation of spirit, or a combination thereof.

pj

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
On that note, I don't see how any claim to belong to any given 'denomination' is better than an adherence to no particular 'denomination'.

when reading a post that is not really clear
it helps to know where someone is coming from
and
we all know where you are coming from

on one hand we have this
and
on the other hand we have that
and
sometimes don't you wish you had more hands?

republicanchick

calvinist

Ask Mr. Religion
assuranceagent
beloved57
Brother Ducky
Calvinist
cellist
Colossians
Dr Bob Gonzales
drstevej
firon
g_n_o_s_i_s
grit
HisServant
Jedidiah
lee_merrill
Lon
mmstroud
Nang
nicholsmom
NickCharles
rainee
RobE
SOTK
SovereignGraceBapt
SovereigntyIsGods
student x
Sum1sGruj
ThePresbyteers
Tulipbee
WandererInFog

wow, that's a lot...

these people believe that God made certain people for Hell?? and some for Heaven?

but hey, u know.. maybe there is truth to that.. God made us ALL for Hell

unless we accept Christ

and only those who accept Him (and his teachings) will enter Heaven....

still, it just doesn't sound good the way they put it. and it is not good

__

republicanchick

I don't know what group I am in, but I believe EXCLUSIVELY in Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross of Calvary for Salvation, Sanctification, Justification, and everything else needed.

if u believed in Jesus, objectively speaking, you would be interested in Catholicism

and once u learned about it you would convert

but hey, I realize Catholicism is difficult... most people don't like difficiult

++

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
It is time for a checklist on Millennialists.

STP
St john w
Totton Linnet
Godrulz
Tams of the bora
Steko
Musterion
Grosnik?

There are a fair few more, most MADianites are chiliasts, we believe when the Lord returns He comes to reign for a 1,000 years

The Millennium is synonymous with the Kingdom of God.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Heart & Soul......

Heart & Soul......

when reading a post that is not really clear
it helps to know where someone is coming from
and
we all know where you are coming from

I come from the view of Awareness itself,...there is nothing more 'clear' :)

I Am Awareness (free of labels).

I Am.

on one hand we have this
and
on the other hand we have that
and
sometimes don't you wish you had more hands?

It matters not if I have 2,6, 24, or 1,000 hands, they would all be extensions of consciousness....in various forms.

When Jesus returns is he looking for your 'denomination'?

Does not God look at the heart, and know the innermost soul, is it not there that the Spirit searches?

God considers heart and soul.

God is 'heart' and 'soul'.

pj

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is time for a checklist on Millennialists.

STP
St john w
Tams of the bora
Steko
Musterion
Grosnik?

There are a fair few more, most MADianites are chiliasts, we believe when the Lord returns He comes to reign for a 1,000 years

They do not believe that. They believe the Bible. His reign is not 1000 years, the Saints ruling with him is 1000 years. His kingdom will have no end.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
When Jesus returns is he looking for your 'denomination'?

Does not God look at the heart, and know the innermost soul, is it not there that the Spirit searches?

the answers to your questions are no and yes

now does that improve our understanding of each other?
not much

it may be awhile before Jesus returns
and
while we are waiting
let's try to improve our understanding of God by exchanging beliefs
knowing ones denomination saves a lot of time
because
we don't have to start from the very beginning each time we have a dialogue

Last edited: