Christian censorship: Atheist billboard taken down

PureX

I find the pattern very supportive of the counter arguments that attempting to release it at Christmas time was a carefully designed snub against Christian beliefs designed to provoke a reaction.
The problem with your theory is that it is reasonable to assume that those people that the message is intended for - people who do not believe in God - would in fact be feeling most 'alone' and isolated at Christmastime, when the God-believers all around them are in a frenzy of 'holy advertising and commerce'.

So in actuality, that would be the most appropriate time for non-believers to put up such a billboard, in support of themselves, without any intent at all toward offending others.

Personally I see no reason whatever that this particular billboard should offend anyone. None.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
wow, i must have hit a nerve.
No, just answering a challenge wrapped in unsupported nonsense and name calling. So I thought I'd open a window into the distinction between your complaint, without particulars, and your practice (with).

i see what you are, and that suffices. you know too. thanks for being the "village idiot".
You're welcome. Thanks for taking the high road. I mean that figuratively.

you're pretty good at isolated quotes that i didn't post TO YOU,
That's a dodge.

in an effort to discredit me.
To set out a difference. Just as I answered your charges the first time you tried them by pointing out a great deal of difference and argument where your attempt to pigeon hole me simply fails on the face of it.

you have respect and "friends" because you PAY
Funny. I once had a poster here chase me around complaining because I don't. My current subscription is a gift, from a friend. I contribute when I can because I find the place worthwhile and get no small degree of enjoyment from it. But no one here buys friends.

, and you've been here too long.
Well, one of us has, apparently.

i get it. no need to keep convincing TOL that you are a great guy
You sound like Nang. If my goal here had been to be liked I'd have taken milk toast stands or gone hard right. Like me, don't like me, but keep our differences honest. Like Nang, you're seeing something in your own eye. You aren't seeing me.

btw, TOWN HERESY, just because you fit the bill, of those i call out, we still like you
It really comes through. :plain:

Last edited:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
kcz87QB.jpg

“a god” ?? :freak:

I don’t believe in lots of gods :idunno:

I don’t believe in no sun god

I don’t believe in no moon god

I don’t believe in Týr

I don’t believe in wodin

I don’t believe in thor

I don’t believe in frige

I don’t believe in Saturn

And that’s just the days of the week :banana:

How do you find this billboard "tasteless"?

obviously, he licked it :duh:

Holy month?

yes

all of December is henceforward reserved for the celebration of Christmas by Christians

:think: unless you’re one of those Christians like Hilston who thinks that celebrating Christmas is worse than abortion

For them, the month of December is reserved for celebrating the unearthing of the snowblower in the shed

So tell me, if I want to put up a billboard to reach out to other Atheists during the time they might most feel alone what should it say?

It should say “Atheists! Your bus is here!” :banana:

short-bus.jpg

The same sign in November is simply a thing promoting a context I differ with.

How about the same sign in April?

or on any Sunday?

would you prefer that it be covered on Sundays so as not to offend?

I find it tasteless in its timing, as I'd find someone discussing their opposition to marriage in the midst of one...

terrible comparison - unless you celebrate Christmas alongside the highway in alabama

furthermore, the billboard doesn't discuss atheists' opposition to Christianity

:think:

so, more like a singles table at a wedding reception

resodko

BANNED
Banned
You ask why having a billboard that promotes the idea that there is no God up during a Holy Day that celebrates God is controversial?

Sunday?

What do you think, that passing Christians were all so filled with rage they couldn't see where they were going and swerved off the road, leaving the area around the billboard littered with car wrecks?

remember, this is alabama we're talking about :chuckle:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Too Muslim sounding for you?

Again, Christianity is the religion of the majority of people who live in the compact. And the month begins a celebration of the birth of it's savior.

Rather, they shouldn't aim their advertising for the week of Christmas unless they mean to trade on that and when or if they do it's in poor taste.

which is it?

a month, a week, or the day of december 25th?

and how come you throw "the compact" as if it means something?

genuineoriginal

The problem with your theory is that it is reasonable to assume that those people that the message is intended for - people who do not believe in God - would in fact be feeling most 'alone' and isolated at Christmastime, when the God-believers all around them are in a frenzy of 'holy advertising and commerce'.

So in actuality, that would be the most appropriate time for non-believers to put up such a billboard, in support of themselves, without any intent at all toward offending others.
So, you are claiming that the Atheists somehow managed to produce a billboard that was not directed at offending people with religious beliefs during a prolonged campaign of billboards that were intentionally designed to offend people with religious beliefs?

Personally I see no reason whatever that this particular billboard should offend anyone. None.
Yes, it is interesting that you say "this particular" billboard out of the dozens produced.

PureX

So, you are claiming that the Atheists somehow managed to produce a billboard that was not directed at offending people with religious beliefs during a prolonged campaign of billboards that were intentionally designed to offend people with religious beliefs?

Yes, it is interesting that you say "this particular" billboard out of the dozens produced.
This thread is about this billboard. This billboard is all I've seen or know about. And this billboard is in no way offensive.

There is nothing inherently offensive about atheists promoting atheism. At least, not any more than billboards promoting religion.

I don't like billboards at all. I don't like advertising of any kind. I think it's seriously damaging to our culture to be inundated, constantly, with lies and deceits and misrepresentations and admonishments to want, want, want, everything, all the time. But in the general scheme of sick and offensive advertising, this particular billboard is very low on the scale of offensiveness.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
I disagree, the ones that show mocking like the one i posted do that, but the one in the op, imo was simply what it appears to be, and actually seems the most appropriate time - since i would think that atheists feel more alone at Christmas than any other time, especially those in this country.

I see it for what it says and nothing more, and they didnt add anything more, it looks to me just like reaching out to likeminded people who would be feeling alone at that time of year more than any other. I don't see anything more than its intent than that.

I do see other intent in some of the other ones that went up around the country this past year though...this isnt it though, imo.

:thumb:

They wanted impact, it's the only reason to wait until, in essence, the last moment. That draws eyes and ire and protest and a world of additional press of the free variety.

not from those who refuse to be insulted by it :idunno:

(or those who find it "tasteless")

So the simplest reading of the week before Christmas launch, especially in our area, was to stir free publicity. And that's tasteless.

it's "tasteless" to stir free publicity? :freak:

quip

BANNED
Banned

No, rather it was intentionally designed to reach out to an otherwise disseminated, minority group of non-believers.

Though it does indeed challenge religious belief in general, it does not specify any particular belief. The insecurity and subsequent hyper-vigilant arrogance of the average ToL Christian is certainly on display here.

Makes one seriously wonder..... :think:

zoo22

No, rather it was intentionally designed to reach out to an otherwise disseminated, minority group of non-believers.

Though it does indeed challenge religious belief in general, it does not specify any particular belief. The insecurity and subsequent hyper-vigilant arrogance of the average ToL Christian is certainly on display here.

Makes one seriously wonder..... :think:

Definitely. Well actually, it's stopped some of my wondering and cinched up some things for me. Shines a lot of light. It's been one of the more illuminating threads I've ever read at TOL.

Dialogos

It is distasteful.

But that's not a suitable justification for pulling it.

The First Amendment has to apply to everyone.

We can trust that Proverbs 13:16 holds true and that everyone with eyes to see and ears to hear will see right through the folly of the atheist.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Absolutely.

Though it does indeed challenge religious belief in general, it does not specify any particular belief.
If it challenges religious belief in general it challenges each expression of it, but that's not a problem either, really.

The insecurity and subsequent hyper-vigilant arrogance of the average ToL Christian is certainly on display here.
Because nothing says high road like name calling. :plain: What follows is more generally aimed and not particularly at you, quip, even with the above (which seems over reaching, but that's the nature of rhetoric around here I suppose).

At any rate, while I mostly only read responses to my bit, the deluge of misrepresentation and attempts at pigeon holing I've run into for simply finding a bit of timing in poor taste cements a disappointing, if not all encompassing truth, that far too many outside of the faith only find those who possess it reasonable and amiable in agreement. The moment that passes a barely restrained (when that) hostility takes its place.

Some of you are as zealous and filled with your own enlightened sense of superiority as any fundamentalist zealot. Ah, well.

Last edited:

Morpheus

I didn't waste the time it would take to read through this entire thread, but I think I picked up on the gist of it. Just one observation. If memory serves, Jesus and his early followers were pretty big on reaching out to non-believers. The only record we have of Him attacking others, the recipients of his wrath were all those claiming to be Jewish leadership bringing shame to the reputation of the Father. They spoke and visited with those theJews considered unclean. They travelled with prostitutes and visited the homes of Gentiles, Romans and Greeks. For some reason I think that if Christ were present in America today, a time when it is acceptable to follow Him publicly, He likely would use a holiday celebrating his birth to be an example of love to the unbelievers instead of looking for another excuse to alienate them. I can almost imagine him looking up at that billboard and using it to launch into a parable. I can't see him leading a protest against it though. Maybe if Christians could start learning from His examples and teachings it wouldn't be long before others followed.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I didn't waste the time it would take to read through this entire thread, but I think I picked up on the just of it. Just one observation. If memory serves, Jesus and his early followers were pretty big on reaching out to non-believers. The only record we have of Him attacking others, the recipients of his wrath were all those claiming to be Jewish leadership bringing shame to the reputation of the Father. They spoke and visited with those theJews considered unclean. They travelled with prostitutes and visited the homes of Gentiles, Romans and Greeks. For some reason I think that if Christ were present in America today, a time when it is acceptable to follow Him publicly, He likely would use a holiday celebrating his birth to be an example of love to the unbelievers instead of looking for another excuse to alienate them. I can almost imagine him looking up at that billboard and using it to launch into a parable. I can't see him leading a protest against it though. Maybe if Christians could start learning from His examples and teachings it wouldn't be long before others followed.
You know...I think there's a great deal to that. Truth be told I never intended to lead a protest and perhaps something like that is an opportunity instead of an obstacle to overcome.

One of the dangerous things about a place like this is that the insulation of anonymity can make us less ourselves and more an exaggeration of some idea we have about ourselves...and worse, begin to treat others as the extension of our ideas instead of who and what they are. When that happens I suspect we don't serve anyone or anything.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Some of you are as zealous and filled with your own enlightened sense of superiority as any fundamentalist zealot. Ah, well.

Well, it's good you've finally salvaged some common ground.

Now, about the extrication of that religous chip......or plank, as the case seems to be.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Because nothing says high road like name calling.

:thumb:
town said:
Some of you are as zealous and filled with your own enlightened sense of superiority as any fundamentalist zealot.

:darwinsm:

Why are people concerned with a silly billboard?

apparently it has something to do with alabamans' habit of licking public signage :idunno:

i believe it's one way that they celebrate the "holy month" of december :chuckle:

What was it like, growing up in the Matrix?

=M=

it was wonderful!

all the girls wore red dresses :Shimei: