Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George Affleck View Post
    I am looking forward to this.

Even though the question is not framed quite the way I would like it to be. I don't believe any individual scripture or the Bible is/was inspired so no version can be either.
    I may be off on this; but I've yet to hear or read of any MADists who are KJVO who hold that it was inspired.

That'd be perhaps informational along a different line - two MADists - one KJVO, one not: both who actually know their position; that is.

Again, though; I've yet to hear or read any on any side who have not ended up reading their view into things in some places.

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    I may be off on this; but I've yet to hear or read of any MADists who are KJVO who hold that it was inspired.

That'd be perhaps informational along a different line - two MADists - one KJVO, one not: both who actually know their position; that is.

Again, though; I've yet to hear or read any on any side who have not ended up reading their view into things in some places.
    Book 'em
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

- Psalmist
    - Desert Reign

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,671 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Your desire for one united Reformed Church with one "official Bible" is...
    You overlooked my emphasis upon the church's role in one's walk of faith. Your logic would dismantle the very thing our Lord established. I will not abide caviling by the Just Me and My Bible folk, Lone Ranger believers, and anyone else who thinks the church exists external to their faith. The two are not separable. If you think the church has nothing to say about the word of God, then you have abandoned what the Reformation was all about.

Within the church we confess what the sound patterns of Scripture teach. We confess what the "word of God" means as we come to hear it regularly. When the pastor exhorts from the word of God, I hope all holding a book in their hands actually believe it to be the word of God, and not but an academic exercise wherein the jots and tittles are regularly debated, preservation, infallibility, and inerrancy doubted, or the disagreement between this version or that version is lending more fog in the pews from the apparent mist in the pulpit by a man who thinks any translation will do.

I do not begrudge the person who uses a translation that I do not use. God can bring anyone into His Kingdom in spite of a weaker translation of His special revelation. My only point in this thread is that one should spend time understanding what the "very word of God" means to the church and act accordingly. If they and their church believes the ESV, NIV, or whatever recent translation they prefer is that very word of God, my peace is upon them.

AMR
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.

Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    ó Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?

I am Miss America because I say so, you must agree Angel4Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,633 Times in 11,137 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob E, excellent first post!
    <a href=http://theologyonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23146&d=1455650224 target=_blank>http://theologyonline.com/attachment...6&d=1455650224</a>

"Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson
    Proverbs 3:5-8

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

Tambora (July 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
    I agree.
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,904 Times in 3,490 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Having a preference for the King James personally ,and enjoying the Elizabethan English does not mean it has special inspiration. That aspect resides in the reader, not in the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    Christian theology isn't to be in Christ.

So, what?

believe it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ktoyou For Your Post:

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    I agree. Having a preference for the King James personally ,and enjoying the Elizabethan English does not mean it has special inspiration. That aspect resides in the reader, not in the book.
    Exactly so! Thou speakest truth Sister!

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    You overlooked my emphasis upon the church's role in one's walk of faith. Your logic would dismantle the very thing our Lord established. I will not abide caviling by the Just Me and My Bible folk, Lone Ranger believers, and anyone else who thinks the church exists external to their faith. The two are not separable. If you think the church has nothing to say about the word of God, then you have abandoned what the Reformation was all about.

Within the church we confess what the sound patterns of Scripture teach. We confess what the "word of God" means as we come to hear it regularly. When the pastor exhorts from the word of God, I hope all holding a book in their hands actually believe it to be the word of God, and not but an academic exercise wherein the jots and tittles are regularly debated, preservation, infallibility, and inerrancy doubted, or the disagreement between this version or that version is lending more fog in the pews from the apparent mist in the pulpit by a man who thinks any translation will do.

I do not begrudge the person who uses a translation that I do not use. God can bring anyone into His Kingdom in spite of a weaker translation of His special revelation. My only point in this thread is that one should spend time understanding what the "very word of God" means to the church and act accordingly. If they and their church believes the ESV, NIV, or whatever recent translation they prefer is that very word of God, my peace is upon them.

AMR
    I agree.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,904 Times in 3,490 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    Exactly so! Thou speakest truth Sister!
    I think the theological majority will agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    Christian theology isn't to be in Christ.

So, what?

believe it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ktoyou For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 36,413 Times in 22,747 Posts

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
    I agree.
    Me too.

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Over 6000 post club genuineoriginal's Avatar
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Post in Round 1

I haven't read Bob Enyart's opening yet, so this is an evaluation on brandplucked's post.

In my analysis of his post, there seems to be only three reasons why brandplucked believes the KJV is the only complete and inerrant words of God.

• The first reason is he desperately wants to believe that there exists a complete and inerrant word of God that can be found in a book that he can hold in his hand.

Unfortunately for his argument, God never promised that there would be a complete and inerrant Bible available for anyone. The real question for him is, "Why do you think you need a complete and inerrant Bible that you can hold in your hand?"

• The second reason is that people that do not believe that the KJV is the complete and inerrant word of God do not believe that there is any complete and inerrant word of God to be found on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by brandplucked View Post
    One of the reasons I believe the King James Bible is the inerrant words of God is the FACT that all those who are not King James Bible Only believers do NOT believe in a real and tangible Bible they can hold in their hands and read and believe is the inerrant words of the living God.
    Other people doubting your belief is not a good reason to believe something.

brandplucked says he often asks this question:
    Ask them: "Can you show us a copy of a complete and inerrant Bible NOW, let alone before the King James Bible?"
    The answer is, "No, and neither can you, since the KJV is not complete and is not inerrant."

What makes me say this?
    The KVJ Bible that brandplucked uses does not contain the Apocrypha and pseudepigrapha (is not complete) and is not the original translation made in 1611 (is not inerrant).

• The third reason is that he agrees with the doctrines that come from using the KJV.

To close out my opening statement in this debate, I believe the King James Bible is the only complete and inerrant Bible because of it’s purity of doctrinal truth.
    That is the worst reason he has given, since it implies that he judges the Bible based on the doctrines he believes instead of humbling himself enough to change his doctrines to match the Bible when he is shown his doctrines are based on a mistranslation or on verses that were added to the Bible at a later time.

The rest of his opening was nothing more than filler to expand on his three reasons.

Here is one thing I found particularly amusing:
    God waited till the invention of the printing press so that His words could be widely distributed and Bibles placed in the hands of the common people.
    The first Bible printed on a printing press was the Gutenberg Bible, written in Latin.
    It was not the King James Version.

(Next)
    Last edited by genuineoriginal; November 10th, 2015 at 11:17 PM.
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bible never says about itself that it is inspired. No translation is inspired. No words or phrases are inspired. Not even the originals were inspired.

The Biblical view of inspiration is that the authors, holy men of God, were chosen of God to be inspired and they spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. All scripture was given by this method of inspiration and the product was an inerrant body of redemptive light given progressively over many years, that is profitable for instruction in righteousness.

It was the men who were inspired, not the words themselves. They are not magic, nor were they dictated. Scripture is perfect truth transmitted by supernatural means and resonates with, and is recognized at its destination by, those who have been supernaturally born again by the same Spirit.

The question needs to be this: "Where is the inerrant product of this process to be found for English speaking people?"
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

- Psalmist
    - Desert Reign

Over 500 post club False Prophet's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does 1 John 5 about the Trinity belong in scripture like the Authorized Version seems to claim it does? 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. 1 John 5

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,671 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I believe in the verbal plenary inspiration of Scripture. God's sovereignty prepared the writers, their lives, experiences, vocabulary, so that they would write exactly what God wanted to be written.

Nothing here should be taken to assume that fallible men produced fallible writings. B.B. Warfield’s classic illustration drives home this point, wherein he speaks of a stained-glass Cathedral window. The window is not viewed as distorting the pure light, but rather is exactly fulfilling the design of the architect in producing exactly the effect that he desired. The writers of Scripture were uniquely superintended by the sovereign action of God via the Holy Spirit in all factors related to their writings.

When God uses human language so that temporal man may understand His truthful revelation, there is a supernatural warrant—it is God speaking through the writer—that the Scriptures will not be in error. Holy Scripture is not the word of God in the words of men.

Scripture is the Word and words of God as the words of men.

AMR
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.

Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    ó Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I defeated Mr. Kinney just yesterday in 15 comments or less, and that was between the 2 of us.

Thread Information