Thread: calling Pope Father.. Jesus used term "Father Abraham"

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    I leave the misinterpretation...
    Unfortunately, since your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is decidedly not that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself---and whose opinions therefore carry no binding doctrinal authority whatsoever---it's opinion about what is and is not a "misinterpretation" likewise carries no weight at all.

...to your sect of Christianity.
    You've already been categorically refuted on this claim on another thread. Here, I'll post it again:
    CM apparently cannot mentally grasp the fact that the Catholic Church is neither "man-made" (since, having been founded by Jesus Christ himself, it was not established by any mere man), nor a "sect" (since, as the original Church founded by Jesus Christ, it cannot possibly have broken away from any prior church). Thus, CM's terminology here is fundamentally irrational and essentially meaningless, somewhat like referring to a "married bachelor" or a "purple idea."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
    +T+
    "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruciform View Post
    Unfortunately, since your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is decidedly not that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself---and whose opinions therefore carry no binding doctrinal authority whatsoever---it's opinion about what is and is not a "misinterpretation" likewise carries no weight at all.

You've already been categorically refuted on this claim on another thread. Here, I'll post it again:
    CM apparently cannot mentally grasp the fact that the Catholic Church is neither "man-made" (since, having been founded by Jesus Christ himself, it was not established by any mere man), nor a "sect" (since, as the original Church founded by Jesus Christ, it cannot possibly have broken away from any prior church). Thus, CM's terminology here is fundamentally irrational and essentially meaningless, somewhat like referring to a "married bachelor" or a "purple idea."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
    +T+
    Based on your response I now that you do not dispute that the RCC willingly interprets scripture such that no means yes. Thank you for your honesty.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What are my fruits today?

Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on your response I now that you do not dispute that the RCC willingly interprets scripture such that no means yes.
    Straw Man Fallacy.

Back to Post #16. My statements stand exactly as posted.
    "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,934 Times in 2,866 Posts

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Matthew 23:9 New King James Version (NKJV)

9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    Matthew 23:9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
    Addressed here.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Straw Man Fallacy.

Back to Post #16. My statements stand exactly as posted.
    Really? God says do not bow before a statue. Do Catholics bow before any statue for any reason?

Jesus says call no man Father for you only have one Father. Do Catholics call any man father based solely on that mans position within the RCC?

If you cannot say unequivocally no to either of those question I have not created a straw man.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? God says do not bow before a statue. Do Catholics bow before any statue for any reason?
    Answered here.

Jesus says call no man Father for you only have one Father. Do Catholics call any man father based solely on that mans position within the RCC?
    Answered here.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
    +T+

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Answered here.

Answered here.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
    +T+
    So, in RCC tradition, when God says no, He really means yes. {Your links are nothing but equivocation. You cannot justify that which is unjustifiable.}

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, in RCC tradition, when God says no, He really means yes.
    In this case, it is "yes" under certain specific circumstances, and "no" under others. No doubt, however, it is just easier---and involves less actual thinking---for you to simply ignore the literary context altogether.

I suggest you enroll in a Remedial Literacy class immediately.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
    +T+

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Addressed here.
    You have no legitimate biblical basis for calling these men, father. Why not be satisfied with, Pastor, for that is the true calling of a man of the cloth?

Plus, the picture gave me the CREEPS.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this case, it is "yes" under certain specific circumstances, and "no" under others. No doubt, however, it is just easier---and involves less actual thinking---for you to simply ignore the literary context altogether.

I suggest you enroll in a Remedial Literacy class immediately.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
    +T+
    I don't know how much clearer God or Jesus could have said it.

Exodus 20:4-5 4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Matthew 23:9 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

Tell me, If your Dad had told you that you shall not go to a party and you went anyway reasoning that your Dad didn't mean that specific party, would he have been pleased with you going?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how much clearer God or Jesus could have said it.
    Post #22

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cedarbay View Post
    You have no legitimate biblical basis for calling these men, father.
    Already answered in the very post to which you're responding (#20).

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post #22
    Tell me, If your Dad had told you that you shall not go to a party and you went anyway reasoning that your Dad didn't mean that specific party, would he have been pleased with you going?

Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by republicanchick View Post
    Why the big deal over...

again: WORDS.

The liberals are into words (as opposed to substance.. as opposed to ACTION against the evils in the world)

example: "racist!" (every time conservative persons says something liberal doesn't like..)

etc

The anti-Catholics make a HUGE deal out of .. words

namely: calling the Pope Father..

but Jesus used term "Father Abraham" in a parable

and there are other instances in the Bible of "mere men" being called Father b/c they had authority..

In the end, words are just words... True, words have some level of power (depending...) but Come on... Let's attack some REAL problems..

_
    Abraham was literally a father of several children

Which priests, bishops, cardinals and popes are literally fathers of children? Which ones are publicly declaring that?
    "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

"Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind" Philippians 2:2

Pro scripture = Protestant

Thread Information