Thanks
    Thanked 4,833 Times in 2,903 Posts

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruciform View Post
    Addressed here.

Your preference for the opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is noted.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
    +T+
    Er no. It was a simple correction, like with a pellet gun to a rabbit and you are using a shotgun that obliterates the rabbit altogether. As a "Catholic" you can simply replace the word "American" and come up with a significant contribution to the questions and intent of this thread.

As it sits, you are looking like the old senile Catholic coot sitting in a rocker using a shotgun for your answer to everything disgruntling: salesman, mailman, or Protestant.

2. "What do you see as the largest problem (need, to be addressed) in Catholic churches in the United States (and perhaps elsewhere as well)???"

Not all that hard, is it?
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

LIFETIME MEMBER
    Thanks

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Interesting Q & A sessions at the Fall 2015 Ligonier Conference (approximate times shown for the linked videos):

Particularly interesting questions show in boldface below.

Special session link:
    http://www.ligonier.org/learn/confer...s-and-answers/

Message 5, Special Questions & Answers:

Representing nearly one hundred years of combined ministry experience, Drs. John MacArthur and R.C. Sproul continue to faithfully serve the cause of Christ. This session will allow attendees to join in on a conversation between two longtime friends and co-laborers in the gospel ministry.

Questions:

1. Dr. MacArthur, what are some of your early impressions of meeting Dr. Sproul? (00:19)

2. What do you see as the largest problem in the American church? (03:47)

The emphasis on money instead of on the riches of Christ. Rev.ch 3

3. Why are there so few Reformed and evangelical churches? (07:54)

4. What is the missing ingredient of preaching today? (11:55)

5. Dr. Sproul, why have you identified Christology as the pressing need for the church today? (14:16)

6. Is faith a gift or response? (22:46)

Some respond to the gift offer and others do not.7.
    Our pastor sometimes asks the Holy Spirit to “fall on us.” Is this biblical? (26:10)

Yes

8. Should I fear the Lord? (28:56)

9. How do you evangelize someone who thinks they are saved yet don’t demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit—especially if they are family members? (32:16)

By example

10. If you were to wind the clock back, what would you say to your younger self? (37:16)

Next session link:
    http://www.ligonier.org/learn/confer...ns-and-answers

Message 7, Questions and Answers:

A Questions and Answers session with Drs. Nathan Busenitz, Steven Lawson, John MacArthur, Stephen Nichols, and R.C. Sproul.

Questions:

1. What are some tips for showing mercy and grace when introducing the doctrines of grace into a church? (00:08)

2. Dr. Busenitz, can you comment on the pastoral preparation needed? (07:39)

3. Since God foreordains everything, did He ordain Satan and the fall? (09:03)

4. In regards to Romans 8:29, why is “foreknew” presented with predestination? (14:41)

5. Are we saved by Jesus’ life, death, or both? (19:10)

6. How can we explain the law and preach the gospel today? (21:10)

Psalm 119. is the aim, not the problem.

7. Dr. Sproul, can you explain the law and the gospel in the design of Saint Andrew’s architecture? (25:11)

8. Is there a minimum level of evidence to know you are saved? (28:05)

9. Can you identify a figure from church history that has impacted your ministry and theological formation? (33:45)

10. Since God is love and love does not seek its own, how do we reconcile that with God doing everything for His own pleasure? (41:06)

A righteous parent does not love the children for their own selfish pleasure, but for the children.

11. How should the church be preparing pastors to minister to the next generation? (45:02)

Stop making clones out of them.

12. How should we take passages that seemingly show that God has changing emotions? (48:12)

Jdg 10:13 Yet ye have forsaken me, and served other gods: wherefore I will deliver you no more.
    Jdg 10:14 Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let them deliver you in the time of your tribulation.
    Jdg 10:15 And the children of Israel said unto the LORD, We have sinned: do thou unto us whatsoever seemeth good unto thee; deliver us only, we pray thee, this day.
    Jdg 10:16 And they put away the strange gods from among them, and served the LORD: and his soul was grieved for the misery of Israel.

13. What is the one statement you would leave on your tombstone? (52:03)

I tried

Thanks
    Thanked 16,591 Times in 13,030 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Interesting Q & A sessions at the Fall 2015 Ligonier Conference (approximate times shown for the linked videos):

Particularly interesting questions show in boldface below.
    the link probably has the locations and pertinent details and i have been curious about your endeavors. i think your signatures state that you are the founder of Reformed Theology Institute - is that an accredited type of school or training center ? can i work for you ? lol kiddin' there, but i am curious to learn more about it - link ?

Thanks
    Thanked 40,140 Times in 20,064 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    the link probably has the locations and pertinent details and i have been curious about your endeavors. i think your signatures state that you are the founder of Reformed Theology Institute - is that an accredited type of school or training center ? can i work for you ? lol kiddin' there, but i am curious to learn more about it - link ?
    Your curiosity sounds genuine....on the face of it, but I think there is another face AMR might want to examine.

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try again.

Of course. You need to take care not to equivocate between the terms "Church" and "church."
    I am careful about the use of Church and church. the RCC definition of and use of Church is incorrect. Roman Catholicism is but one church within a much larger Church established by Christ. There are many Protestant churches within the Church. Your church is exclusive while while Christ's Church is inclusive.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What are my fruits today?

Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    http://rti.myfineforum.org/index.php

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting, AMR. Looking forward to listening to this.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    I am careful about the use of Church and church. the CC definition of and use of Church is incorrect.
    ...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway.

Roman Catholicism is but one church within a much larger Church established by Christ.
    See above. Rather, the catholic Church is this.

There are many Protestant churches within the Church.
    Rather, there are many Protestant sects within Christendom.

Your Church is exclusive...
    ...just as she has always been (e.g., Jn. 4:24; Ac. 5:1-11; Rom. 1:5; 1 Tim. 3:15).

...while while Christ's Church is inclusive.
    Does Christ's Church, then, include those who knowingly deny and reject her central and defining teachings?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
    +T+
    "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,591 Times in 13,030 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Your curiosity sounds genuine....on the face of it, but I think there is another face AMR might want to examine.
    i have nothing to hide as i always tell the truth. my opinion is also given whether wrong or right. but anything i say i would say directly to the person. please provide the text in question ! or go home

Thanks
    Thanked 40,140 Times in 20,064 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deleted.

Best wishes to you, AMR. And may your thread not be derailed because of my comment earlier.

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway.
    According to Christ. You don't seem to know Him very well.

See above. Rather, the catholic Church is this.
    Yes, that is what the RCC likes to say about itself. It does not change the fact that it is but one sect in Christendom.

Rather, there are many Protestant sects within Christendom.
    Which is fine. There were many churches during the time of the Apostles and there are many churches today.

...just as she has always been (e.g., Jn. 4:24; Ac. 5:1-11; Rom. 1:5; 1 Tim. 3:15).
    Taking verses out of context does not support your point.

Does Christ's Church, then, include those who knowingly deny and reject her central and defining teachings?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
    +T+
    There are two answers to this: Answer a where in Christ's church is viewed as the RCC, the answer is no. You can't be a member of the RCC in good standing with the RCC if you reject the RCC's doctrines and traditions.

Answer b is when Christ's Church is viewed as the body of believers that proclaim Jesus as their Lord and Savior and are saved by Him. If you do not believe in your heart and confess that He is Lord you cannot be part of His Church.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What are my fruits today?

Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    According to Christ.
    ...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your favored recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect.

Yes, that is what the RCC likes to say about itself.
    Based upon what Divine Revelation says about it. Unless you have a demonstrable alternative to propose as that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D.---your chosen man-made non-Catholic sect, perhaps? No? Didn't think so.

It does not change the fact that it is but one sect in Christendom.
    Already decisively answered---and categorically refuted---here. Don't even bother.

Which is fine. There were many churches during the time of the Apostles and there are many churches today.
    Yes, there were many local churches (parishes) of the one historic Catholic Church, just as there are today (I attend one every week). The myriad recently-invented, man-made Protestant sects, however, are sadly not part of Christ's one historic Church, and so cannot rightly be considered local "churches."

Taking verses out of context does not support your point.
    ...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your favored recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway.

There are two answers to this: Answer a where in Christ's Church is viewed as the CC, the answer is no. You can't be a member of the CC in good standing with the CC if you reject the CC's doctrines and traditions.
    Agreed.

Answer b is when Christ's Church is viewed as the body of believers that proclaim Jesus as their Lord and Savior and are saved by Him. If you do not believe in your heart and confess that He is Lord you cannot be part of His Church.
    Your claim, then, is that "Christ's Church" (in this sense) simply HAS no central and defining doctrines, given that the myriad Protestant sects are in categorical disagreement concerning even what constitutes "Christianity's" central and defining teachings, correct?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
    +T+
    "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,241 Times in 4,990 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There IS no "American church." There is Christ's one historic Church, and there are scores of recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sects that often like to call themselves "churches."
    Stupid response.
    So, what?

believe it!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    Stupid response.
    Feel free, then, to actually disprove my statements.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I thought.

Thread Information