User Tag List

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 266

Thread: Noah's Ark & post-flood speciation

  1. #76
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,800
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 648 Times in 456 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    279540
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorzhik View Post
    ok


    It doesn't matter what you are willing to accept. The various definitions make the term useless.

    What we really need to know is how adaptation works. Right now, we know very little. And it doesn't just have meaning for YEC, but just as much for common descent. The problem is that common descentists make declarative statements based on little knowledge, while YEC's make predictions based on evidence we know more about.
    YEC's make proclamations based on their faith. There is nothing wrong with that, I respect them for their faith. But YEC's cannot be considered be scientifically in their approach to the history of Earth or to the adaptation/evolution of species/kinds.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to CabinetMaker For Your Post:

    DavisBJ (June 24th, 2016)

  3. #77
    Over 2000 post club TracerBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,154
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    69848
    Quote Originally Posted by 6days View Post
    Keep in mind that it seems Noah only took land animals, birds and reptiles on the ark. As Christians we can be certain that Noah took exactly what God commanded...
    "And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark to keep them alive with you. They shall be male and female. Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground, according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you to keep them alive.’
    And,
    ‘Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and his mate, and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and his mate, and seven pairs of the birds of the heavens also, male and female, to keep their offspring alive on the face of all the earth.’
    So how did all the fish, crustaceans, microorganisms and aquatic mammals survive?

  4. #78
    Over 5000 post club 6days's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,843
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,284 Posts

    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1755215
    Quote Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
    So how did all the fish, crustaceans, microorganisms and aquatic mammals survive?
    Many didn't.
    I think your question is how they survived mixing of fresh and salt water? We would need to know salinity of oceans pre flood. The oceans would be much saltier now from water draining off the continents. Also, we would need to know genetic makeup of fish from thousands of years ago. It's quite possible many of today's organisms have lost genetic info as they are fragile and highly adapted to specific conditions.
    Without Genesis, absolutely nothing makes sense in all of Scripture.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6days For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 9th, 2018),Tambora (January 13th, 2018)

  6. #79
    TOL Subscriber George Affleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Markham, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,386
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked 891 Times in 506 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    526943
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Keep in mind that this estimate does not include the even larger numbers of species that are extinct, nor does it include the large number of species that have yet to be discovered.
    Yes, it does include the species that have yet to be discovered. That is why it must be classified as an estimate. Check it again.

    However, it does not include extinct species. But any estimate for this is bound to be flawed; possibly greatly flawed. Determining their ability to produce offspring/no offspring would be nearly impossible.
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

  7. #80
    TOL Subscriber George Affleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Markham, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,386
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked 891 Times in 506 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    526943
    Quote Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
    So how did all the fish, crustaceans, microorganisms and aquatic mammals survive?
    When trolls ask questions like this, the answers to which are freely available and which have been answered before, they leave themselves open to certain, well-deserved replies.

    Evolutionists!
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to George Affleck For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 9th, 2018)

  9. #81
    LIFETIME MEMBER Yorzhik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,910
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked 259 Times in 206 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    375397
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    YEC's make proclamations based on their faith.
    No. YEC's make predictions based on solid evidence. Common decentists make declarative statements based on wild speculation and just-so stories.

    There is nothing wrong with that, I respect them for their faith. But YEC's cannot be considered be scientifically in their approach to the history of Earth or to the adaptation/evolution of species/kinds.
    YEC's simply don't talk as much about that which we don't know. The cool thing is that as we learn more and more the YEC's turn out to have been right more and more. What that all means is that YEC's are more scientific than common decentists. Consider the most basic thing, like what the definition of science is; YEC's are more interested in the search for truth, while common decentists put truth aside to search for a natural explanation even if it is false.
    Good things come to those who shoot straight.

    Did you only want evidence you are not going to call "wrong"? -Stripe

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yorzhik For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 9th, 2018),Tambora (January 13th, 2018)

  11. #82
    LIFETIME MEMBER Yorzhik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,910
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked 259 Times in 206 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    375397
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Nothing is supposed to be dogmatic in science; rather, everything is investigated, questioned, criticized, tested
    This is a lie when it comes to common decent. If it weren't then there would be scientists begging to get a look at the layers that are covered at the Paluxy river. And there are a lot more examples. For instance, soft tissue dinos should be a big area of study, but the only studying by common decentists on the topic is how to find excuses. Same thing with carbon 14 found in... everything it shouldn't be.

    Quit it with your deification of science. Scientists are humans with biases and they ignore truth all the time.
    Good things come to those who shoot straight.

    Did you only want evidence you are not going to call "wrong"? -Stripe

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yorzhik For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 9th, 2018),Tambora (January 13th, 2018)

  13. #83
    Over 2000 post club User Name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,050
    Thanks
    470
    Thanked 418 Times in 293 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    203711
    Quote Originally Posted by 6days View Post
    If God's Word tells about the flood..which animals went on..which people ...etc etc. And if Jesus and different Bible authors treat the account as real history; why won't you?
    Outside of a few archaeological confirmations of certain historical claims, almost nothing in the Bible can be scientifically proven. The existence of God, heaven, the physical resurrection of the dead, etc. are beliefs that must be taken on, to quote Martin Luther, "faith alone". I never look to science to confirm or validate any of my religious beliefs, because to me that is impossible. The Bible says what it says. Likewise, the physical sciences reveal to us what they reveal. Many people want science to match up with their religious beliefs (including Christians, Mormons, Hindus, Muslims, etc), but that is impossible.

  14. #84
    Over 2000 post club User Name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,050
    Thanks
    470
    Thanked 418 Times in 293 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    203711
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorzhik View Post
    This is a lie when it comes to common decent. If it weren't then there would be scientists begging to get a look at the layers that are covered at the Paluxy river.
    Of course, scientists have looked at the Paluxy river tracks. See here for example: https://youtu.be/qvHII6Vv06s?t=1m10s

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorzhik View Post
    And there are a lot more examples. For instance, soft tissue dinos should be a big area of study, but the only studying by common decentists on the topic is how to find excuses.
    Here again, scientists are investigating tissue residues in dino fossils. Ever heard of Mary Schweitzer? Also, here is a link to one of many posts I've made on that very subject: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums...ue#post4347692

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorzhik View Post
    Same thing with carbon 14 found in... everything it shouldn't be.
    Here's a coupla vids on the topic of carbon 14 you might find interesting:
    Radiometric Dating

    Carbon Dating of Dinosaurs?
    Last edited by User Name; September 19th, 2015 at 07:09 AM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to User Name For Your Post:

    DavisBJ (June 24th, 2016)

  16. #85
    Over 5000 post club 6days's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,843
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,284 Posts

    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1755215
    Quote Originally Posted by username

    Outside of a few archaeological confirmations of certain historical claims, almost nothing in the Bible can be scientifically proven. The existence of God, heaven, the physical resurrection of the dead, etc. are beliefs that must be taken on, to quote Martin Luther, "faith alone". I never look to science to confirm or validate any of my religious beliefs, because to me that is impossible. The Bible says what it says. Likewise, the physical sciences reveal to us what they reveal. Many people want science to match up with their religious beliefs (including Christians, Mormons, Hindus, Muslims, etc), but that is impossible.
    Christianity is based on real history and real people and real events. God's Word tells us that we don't have a blind faith. *His Word tells us that faith is the EVIDENCE of things not seen.*


    One evidence our Bibles are divinely inspired is the internal consistency.

    *For example 40 different authors over the course of 1500 years wrote one Book that provides one cohesive, and non contradictory account of humanity's past and future. It explains our need of a savior because of sin of first Adam....and, it explains the sacrifice of our Savior, the a last Adam. Another evidence within God's Word is the accurately fulfilled prophecies. Also, it's important to note that the Bible affirms itself. Many authors refer to other books within the Bible as divinely inspired scripture. Christ Himself often used scripture as the absolute source of truth. (He often referred to what Moses wrote as real history).


    As you mentioned, Archaeology is another tool that can help determine accuracy of ancient manuscripts. Something I posted previous....

    Dr Luke (Gospel of Luke) was perhaps the world's greatest historian. The research Luke did is reflected in the accuracy of his account. The Gospel of Luke is just one of many historically accurate Books in God's Word.

    The Gospel of Luke besides numerous mentions of things with historical and archaeological significance also mentions;
    32 countries
    54 cities
    9 islands.

    Because of the numerous mention to countries and cities, Sir William Ramsay thought that this book would be the easiest one to disprove. He along with his archaeological team set out to Asia Minor to prove the Bible wrong. But... a funny thing happened. "Ramsay became so overwhelmed with the evidence he eventually converted to Christianity"

    Ramsey said "I began with a mind unfavorable to it...but more recently I found myself brought into contact with the Book of Acts as an authority for the topography, antiquities, and society of Asia Minor. It was gradually borne upon me that in various details the narrative showed marvelous truth"

    Luke is a historian of the first rank; not merely are his statements of fact trustworthy...this author should be placed along with the very greatest historians."
    http://www.bibleevidences.com/archeology.htm
    Without Genesis, absolutely nothing makes sense in all of Scripture.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6days For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 9th, 2018),Tambora (January 13th, 2018)

  18. #86
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,829
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 9,902 Times in 6,928 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147798
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
    Hilarious. Tell us another.

    Stuart
    Mr. Pidd has it all figured out.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

    Tambora (January 13th, 2018)

  20. #87
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,273
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Mr. Pidd has it all figured out.
    Don't knock it. We might have found a use for creationism after all.

    Light entertainment.

    Stuart

  21. #88
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,273
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 6days View Post
    The oceans would be much saltier now from water draining off the continents.
    You haven't really thought this through, have you.

    What would you say the salinity is of the water 'draining off the continents' right at the moment?

    Stuart

  22. #89
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,273
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 6days View Post
    Luke is a historian of the first rank; not merely are his statements of fact trustworthy...this author should be placed along with the very greatest historians."
    And who was Luke, exactly?

    Stuart

  23. #90
    TOL Subscriber George Affleck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Markham, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,386
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked 891 Times in 506 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    526943
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
    And who was Luke, exactly?

    Stuart
    ...and while you're at it 6days, what is the Bible anyways? I can't seems to found it anywheres.
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to George Affleck For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 9th, 2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us