User Tag List

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 658

Thread: WHAT ACTS 2:28 REALLY MEANS !!

  1. #16
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    15,664
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked 3,870 Times in 2,893 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1249373
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    How is it that you need that explained?

    Confess your sins to God through Jesus and repent of them.

    If you did those sins and are sorry for them, then confess them to God and repent of them.

    I hope I have explained it so you can understand.
    I still do not know what they mean to you.

    Let's try this again - what does that mean to you?

    "Confess" means what, to you, exactly?

    "Repent" means what, to you, exactly?

    "Sins" means what, to you, exactly?

    I am asking you what those mean to you?

    I am not saying I don't have an understanding of those terms, I am asking you what they mean to you?

    Here, fill in the blanks to the following.

    "What the phrase 'confessing their sins' means to me (God's Truth) is _________, and the way that works is ______."

  2. #17
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,125
    Thanks
    2,080
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    I still do not know what they mean to you.

    Let's try this again - what does that mean to you?

    "Confess" means what, to you, exactly?

    "Repent" means what, to you, exactly?

    "Sins" means what, to you, exactly?

    I am asking you what those mean to you?

    I am not saying I don't have an understanding of those terms, I am asking you what they mean to you?

    Here, fill in the blanks to the following.

    "What the phrase 'confessing their sins' means to me (God's Truth) is _________, and the way that works is ______."
    Confess your sins to God means you say forgive me Father in heaven for this sin and that sin.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  3. #18
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    15,664
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked 3,870 Times in 2,893 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1249373
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Confess your sins to God means you say forgive me Father in heaven for this sin and that sin.
    You see. Now I have a bite better idea of what that means to you.

    So, is it your understanding that that is what they did that day in the River Jordan in Matthew 3 (same as Mark 1):

    5. Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
    6. And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

    To you, that verse is saying they each laid out a long list of each their personal sins before the Father?

    Things like, say, "I didn't go to synagogue, last Sabbath..." or what have you. To you, they each laid out a long list of their personal sins to the Father?

    Again, I am just trying to get a clear picture of what exactly that passage means to you.

    Again, thank you.

  4. #19
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,125
    Thanks
    2,080
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    You see. Now I have a bite better idea of what that means to you.

    So, is it your understanding that that is what they did that day in the River Jordan in Matthew 3 (same as Mark 1):

    5. Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
    6. And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

    To you, that verse is saying they each laid out a long list of each their personal sins before the Father?

    Things like, say, "I didn't go to synagogue, last Sabbath..." or what have you. To you, they each laid out a long list of their personal sins to the Father?

    Again, I am just trying to get a clear picture of what exactly that passage means to you.

    Again, thank you.
    We do not go to anyone but to God through Jesus to confess our sins. List them all to God so that you know you know what they are and what you will stop doing.

    When we come to God to repent, we have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

    When the people came to John the baptizer, or the Apostles to repent of their sins, they confessed their sins to God, and some even openly confessed what they have done.

    Mark 1:5 The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.

    Acts 19:18
    Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed what they had done.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  5. #20
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,125
    Thanks
    2,080
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    God knows what is in our hearts and He knows if you have confessed to Him and repented.

    See Acts 15:8.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  6. #21
    Over 6000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    6,290
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 776 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    304592
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaberean View Post
    I feel Acts 2:38 definitively means water and Spirit. Take a look at Acts 10:47, when Peter heard the Gentiles speak in tongues he asked "Can any man forbid water" then he commanded them to be baptized.
    The main reason of course is to receive eternal life. It is so specific that to receive eternal life they were to "repent and be baptized in Jesus name and ye shall receive 'the gift' of the Holy Ghost'.
    Do we not realize that the 'gift' is eternal life?

    Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    It is also important to note that Peter has the keys to the kingdom, do we dare not to follow Peter's instructions so that we might pass thru those gates?

    Hi and Acts 2:38 is in the FUTURE TENSE and that speaks to when Pentecost will really happen , IN THE GREAT TRIBULATION and not until then !!

    Look at Acts 2:17 , when did Christ POUR OUT His SPIRIT upon all flesh !

    Acts 2:38 is for Israel to repent of the KILLING of Christ , verse Acts 2:36-39 , to those scattered across the Roman empire !!

    dan p
    Last edited by DAN P; August 29th, 2015 at 05:47 PM.

  7. #22
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,125
    Thanks
    2,080
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN P View Post
    Hi and Acts 2:38 is in the FUTURE TENSE and that spaks to when Pentecost will really happen , IN THE GREAT TRIBULATION and not until then !!

    Look at Acts 2:17 , when did Christ POUR OUT His SPIRIT upon all flesh !

    Acts 2:38 is for Israel to repent of the KILLING of Christ , verse Acts 2:36-39 , to those scattered across the Roman empire !!

    dan p
    Jesus saves us and gives us the Holy Spirit since Pentecost.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  8. #23
    LIFETIME MEMBER
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,198
    Thanks
    569
    Thanked 927 Times in 774 Posts

    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    122579
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    You see. Now I have a bite better idea of what that means to you.

    So, is it your understanding that that is what they did that day in the River Jordan in Matthew 3 (same as Mark 1):

    5. Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
    6. And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

    To you, that verse is saying they each laid out a long list of each their personal sins before the Father?

    Things like, say, "I didn't go to synagogue, last Sabbath..." or what have you. To you, they each laid out a long list of their personal sins to the Father?

    Again, I am just trying to get a clear picture of what exactly that passage means to you.

    Again, thank you.
    One does not have to confess every sin in order to fulfill the command.

    One has only to confess that they have sinned and lived selfishly.

    A believer can confess a particular sin and turn from it at anytime.

    LA

  9. #24
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,125
    Thanks
    2,080
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy afternoon View Post
    One does not have to confess every sin in order to fulfill the command.

    One has only to confess that they have sinned and lived selfishly.

    A believer can confess a particular sin and turn from it at anytime.

    LA
    We have to turn from all our sins.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  10. #25
    Over 6000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    6,290
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 776 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    304592
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Jesus saves us and gives us the Holy Spirit since Pentecost.

    Hi and ALL I can say , you did not and probably address Acts 2:17 so O WELL !!\

    DAN P

  11. #26
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    near Olympic National Park
    Posts
    13,718
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 719 Times in 636 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    206940
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Jesus saves us and gives us the Holy Spirit since Pentecost.


    DanP,
    you're a bit too wooden about how you read things. Look at Pentecost. Not only did people absorb the Gospel and return home from "every nation under heaven," but 3000 in Jerusalem believed. Given that there was no TV or i.net, that is about as explosive a start as you could put together in that day.

    'Until the tribulation'? Good grief, I just don't know how such wobbly conjectures ever get started!
    All Lives Matter --Marcus Sanford, youtube.com

  12. #27
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    15,664
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked 3,870 Times in 2,893 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1249373
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy afternoon View Post
    One does not have to confess every sin in order to fulfill the command.

    One has only to confess that they have sinned and lived selfishly.

    A believer can confess a particular sin and turn from it at anytime.

    LA
    Thanks for your input.

    I basically had a sense of what GT's understanding is, I just wanted to hear it from her, in her own, specific words, though.

    I have my own understanding of what that passage "confessing" their sins" is a reference to, from my own time in Scripture, and we obviously differ on it, is all.

  13. #28
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,125
    Thanks
    2,080
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN P View Post
    Hi and ALL I can say , you did not and probably address Acts 2:17 so O WELL !!\

    DAN P
    That is about Pentecost.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  14. #29
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,125
    Thanks
    2,080
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    Thanks for your input.

    I basically had a sense of what GT's understanding is, I just wanted to hear it from her, in her own, specific words, though.

    I have my own understanding of what that passage "confessing" their sins" is a reference to, from my own time in Scripture, and we obviously differ on it, is all.
    Why would you not confess and repent of every sin?

    Think about it.

    How hard can it be?

    Were you a thief? An adulterer? A violent man? A drunkard?

    Why do you have a problem with confessing all your sins?
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  15. #30
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    15,664
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked 3,870 Times in 2,893 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1249373
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Why would you not confess and repent of every sin?

    Think about it.

    How hard can it be?

    Were you a thief? An adulterer? A violent man? A drunkard?

    Why do you have a problem with confessing all your sins?
    Quit reading into my words.

    We differ in our understanding of what Matthew 3's and Mark 1's "confessing their sins" is all about, and I just thought I would hear from you what it is exactly that you understand those words to mean?

    That was all.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us