Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Jesus real?

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jzeidler View Post
    What is your opinion? Was there a historical Jesus? If so who was he? If not what evidence do you have that Jesus wasn't real. Keep the discussion civil. I look forward to reading your posts.
    How do you define "historical Jesus"?
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 Times in 1,933 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keypurr View Post
    Roman State docs.
    About the best that I know if is Tacitus, the Roman historian.

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in JudŠa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ

I don't find it all that compelling as an attestation to the historicity, being a full century after the events depicted in the Gospels, but many do.
    Global warming denialists are like gravity denialists piloting a helicopter, determined to prove a point. We may not have time to actually persuade them of their mistake.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://armariummagnus.blogspot.ca/20...ory-again.html

That basically covers what you need to know.
    Last edited by eddie17; August 10th, 2015 at 12:23 AM.

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 762 Posts

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is very likely that there was a Rabbi with somewhat different ideas who had followers. Probably were more than one of those. Hebrew names that could be translated into "Jesus" are common, so to mean it seems very likely that there was such a Rabbi Jesus.

Does this make the NT figure "Jesus" historical? Yes, but in a very limited sense.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    How do you define "historical Jesus"?

Was there at least a teacher in judea in the first century with died by crucifixion named Jesus.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus is knowable now, that's the function of the spirit of truth.

"Mortal man was never the property of the archdeceivers. Jesus did not die to ransom man from the clutch of the apostate rulers and fallen princes of the spheres. The Father in heaven never conceived of such crass injustice as damning a mortal soul because of the evil doing of his ancestors."UB

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rexlunae View Post

Originally Posted by aikido7 View Post
    The consensus of historical scholars say YES.
    I think it's interesting how often that is the line given in response to this question.
    If only those scholars would get together and take a vote on it we might know for sure
    I think it more interesting to be a Rising Ape than a Falling Angel - Terry Pratchet

---Science is the poetry of reality---

Plenty of things happen after you die but none of them will involve you.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither Tacitus, Lucian, Plini, Celsus nor Josephus were contemporaneous of the time in question, not to mention good evidence that Josephus' contribution is considered fraudulent. That video is nothing more than the usual apologetics that have been doing the rounds for centuries and do not clear up the doubt, as much as the video's author wishes it to be so.
    I think it more interesting to be a Rising Ape than a Falling Angel - Terry Pratchet

---Science is the poetry of reality---

Plenty of things happen after you die but none of them will involve you.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hedshaker View Post
    Neither Tacitus, Lucian, Plini, Celsus nor Josephus were contemporaneous of the time in question, not to mention good evidence that Josephus' contribution is considered fraudulent. That video is nothing more than the usual apologetics that have been doing the rounds for centuries and do not clear up the doubt, as much as the video's author wishes it to be so.

On this thread my desire is for people to think intellectually through this topic. Please take on the evidence he proposes and bring forth your counter argument. Please do not just ignore the argument, interact with it.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On this thread my desire is for people to think intellectually through this topic. Please take on the evidence he proposes and bring forth your counter argument. Please do not just ignore the argument, interact with it.

Thank you for this thread, I find it of interest.
    Psalm 1[/COLOR] and Job 28:28

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Joh 4:23 "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus Christ

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keypurr View Post
    Thank you for this thread, I find it of interest.

Thank you for your participation on this thread. I'm glad you like it.

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was there at least a teacher in judea in the first century with died by crucifixion named Jesus.
    Quite likely that there was. But that has no bearing on the truth of Christianity or the historicity of the stories in the New Testament. Considering the times, there were likely dozens of teachers in Judea who were crucified.

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Show us any history 2000 ago you can consider to be legitimate.

By the atheists' standard, it's none.

Mind you that paper was not yet invented 2000 years ago. Show us the scrolls at least for us to verify how accurate it's translated.

It remains the atheists' stupid game to fabricate a standard (under which no history can be deemed qualified) to deny Jesus.

As a Chinese, we have more than 5000 years of history. However, early books can hardly be verifiable. We give credit to these few books simply because they are the only books available which mention about events happened at that time. If we discredit the few books, we have none for us to access that part of history.

This is the nature of what history is. Set up a standard to qualify history is no more than lying to yourself with a self-deception. Just like any other human witnessing, history exists because an event and a figure is famous enough for certain human(s) to write about it. It always rely on later humans' faith to believe it or not. Humans don't even bother to keep the original scrolls after the invention of paper.

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    Show us any history 2000 ago you can consider to be legitimate...
    There is no difficulty in your believing that Jesus existed, or that he is the Messiah, or God, or whatever you want to believe. Go ahead, be my guest.

The problem arises when you try to convince others of your ideas. They may expect you to present evidence that you simply don't have. Evidence that doesn't exist.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be biased because I've always believed in Jesus but not so much Christianity, but one thing that occurs to me is that if the stories are frauds they aren't very good frauds. All things considered, the gospels are just as imperfect and human as one would expect from the age given all the circumstances.

"Mortal man was never the property of the archdeceivers. Jesus did not die to ransom man from the clutch of the apostate rulers and fallen princes of the spheres. The Father in heaven never conceived of such crass injustice as damning a mortal soul because of the evil doing of his ancestors."UB

Thread Information