Thanks
    Thanked 9,811 Times in 5,486 Posts

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at the time stamps.

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    anna, you used to be one of the best at this back in the day - what on earth has happened to you?
    Again - what on earth happened to you?
    What on earth happened to you Anna?
    It was pretty dramatic at the time, but worth every minute of it for the life experiences, so thank you ever so much for your (extraordinarily sincere) concern but it's not needed.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

2. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Rusha (July 10th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,441 Times in 4,930 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    It was pretty dramatic at the time, but worth every minute of it for the life experiences, so thank you ever so much for your (extraordinarily sincere) concern but it's not needed.
    People worry about me all the time...though to be fair, they're legally required to.

And with that it's time for a thought on topic.

Happy is life's way of saying you're doing it right.
    Unhappy is life's way of saying not to let it go to your head.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

Rusha (July 10th, 2019),The Barbarian (July 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    People worry about me all the time...though to be fair, they're legally required to.

And with that it's time for a thought on topic.

Happy is life's way of saying you're doing it right.
    Unhappy is life's way of saying not to let it go to your head.
    I'm afraid of the next line that will explain life's way of saying I'm doing it wrong... or maybe the line after that about when I did it wrong but I did it anyway and have no regrets.

I have a book by Brené Brown (Ph.D., L.M.S.W., gifted speaker and author) called The Gifts of Imperfection and I go back to it time and time again. Her own 2007 "breakdown" she renamed her 2007 'spiritual awakening,' but she thinks it was both, wondering whether she could have one without the other. Anyway, she says this:

People may call what happens at midlife "a crisis," but it's not. It's an unraveling--a time when you feel a desperate pull to live the life you want to live not the one you're "supposed" to live. The unraveling is a time where you are challenged by the universe to let go of who you think you are supposed to be and embrace who you are.

It's not just midlife of course, other life-altering events can precipitate an unraveling too, and she gives a list of them and I could tick off more than a few. I didn't read her book until after, but it helped a lot, in part because she's spent much of her career talking about shame - she says that "we live in a world where most people still subscribe to the belief that shame is a good tool for keeping people in line."

Among many other things she's also done some TED talks. I posted a video of hers on empathy a few years ago, and it's always worth another view:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Rusha (July 10th, 2019),Town Heretic (July 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm bringing a post over from the music thread so I don't mess the music thread up with a bunch of words even though they're related to music.

I posted my experience last month, then following, I've included a blog post I read just this morning - I'd followed a link from the blogger from a Twitter post about the current political chaos (I'll add that from Jay Rosen elsewhere when I get a chance) and ended up poking around Jim Mitchem's blog a bit. His experience is way better than mine. My best has to be hearing "silver and gold" while writing "silver and gold," not expecting either.

First:
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Flying home yesterday I settled in as the plane was boarding, put my phone on airplane mode and started a random playlist I'd imaginatively named drive () for when I'm driving, naturally... The music was mentally just kind of in the background as we taxied out to the runway and queued up for takeoff, but as we accelerated down the runway I became aware of the song that was playing. We were 47 seconds into Learning to Fly. This synchronicity happens so often to me, it's the strangest feeling but I just love it when it happens. So of course I took a screenshot to remember the moment:

Attachment 26808

Learning to Fly - Pink Floyd

From a writer named Jim Mitchem, who writes a blog called Obsessed with Conformity:

During my morning shower, I sometimes put on Apple Radio’s Classic Rock station instead of what I normally listen to. Granted, I can barely hear the music when I’m in there, but it’s good company and it keeps me from thinking about bad men walking in and shooting me during this vulnerable state. Plus, I know all the songs.

So this morning More Than a Feeling was playing as I got into the shower. When it finished it switched to something with a live audience. I couldn’t tell which song it was, so I assumed it was I Want You to Want Me by Cheap Trick–which was recorded live in Japan back in the day, and has an iconic opening with a teeny-bop crowd roaring as Robin Zander slowly sings the song’s opening line.

Anyway, I couldn’t really tell for sure, so I went with it as Cheap Trick as I shaved my head singing the song’s catchy lyrics. A couple minutes later, when I turned off the water, I realized that it wasn’t Cheap Trick—but the Allman Brothers, Statesboro Blues live at the Fillmore.

(I’m getting old and hearing is the second thing, after vision, to go.)

Oh well. I started drying off as that song ended and another began.

That’s when a roaring crowd poured out of my phone’s tiny speaker and Robin Zander slowly sang, “I want you … to want … me.”

I stood there. Naked. But for the goosebumps.

Apple Music boasts a 50 million song catalog.

I want you to want me.

A timely message. As I’ve been straying, lately.

Jim

I got his goosebumps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Rusha (August 14th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this..

Time to close a few tabs, go look for the music, and see how it goes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Rusha (August 14th, 2019)

Thread Information