User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Love your enemies

BANNED
    In front of the strange glowing screen of an inexplicable mechanism.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    you don't follow Jesus, you follow a jesus you've constructed to suit yourself
    Everyone who thinks or writes about Jesus constructs a Jesus for him/herself.

Even the gospel writers did this.
    John saw Jesus as the sinless, unblemished Lamb of God sacrificed for the world.
    John was so committed to this vision that he asserted Jesus died on the Day of Preparation instead of on Passover as the other three writers asserted.
    John also crafted an anti-Semitic Jesus because he wanted a Jesus who would denounce the Jews--simply because at that time the Jesus people were being kicked out of the synagogues.

Today’s believers have constructed a Jesus who is bigoted, full of revenge, anti-gay, anti-abortion and pro-war.

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,629 Times in 6,401 Posts

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    you don't follow Jesus, you follow a jesus you've constructed to suit yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by aikido7 View Post
    (yes, i do)

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have constructed a Jesus based on his own teachings.
    I have never arrogantly asserted that I am perfectly right about this.

We all look at reality through our own window.
    We all see the world differently.

What do YOU see?

“Aren’t the clouds beautiful? They look like big balls of cotton… I could just lie here all day, and watch them drift by,” said Lucy. "If you use your imagination, you can see lots of things in the cloud formations… What do you think you see, Linus?“

"Well, those clouds up there look like the map of the British Honduras on the Caribbean… That cloud up there looks a little like the profile of Thomas Eakins, the famous painter and sculptor… And that group of clouds over there gives me the impression of the stoning of Stephen… I can see the apostle Paul standing there to one side…"

"Uh huh… That’s very good… What do you see in the clouds, Charlie Brown?"

"Well, I was going to say I saw a ducky and a horsie, but I changed my mind!”

On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,296 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have constructed a Jesus based on his own teachings.
    Like this one?

Matthew 5:17-19
    17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I have never arrogantly asserted that I am perfectly right about this.
    And yet you constantly complain about people choosing to do and teach the commandments that Jesus is talking about?
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Like this one?

Matthew 5:17-19
    17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

And yet you constantly complain about people choosing to do and teach the commandments that Jesus is talking about?
    I see those passages as coming from the later community of believers. To me it reflects a controversy in the early Christian community over whether the Law was still binding on Christians.

If you read it carefully you might notice that the most trivial regulation [“one iota”] must be observed.

This passage, however, clearly cuts against the grain of Jesus’ passionate mission and his character.

It nullifies Jesus’relaxed sentiments against the Law--doing God’s will instead of following the letter.
    It also speaks against his love ethic.

The one time in the New Testament that Jesus speaks about the Ten Commandments he only mentions those commandments that are foundational for all the world’s faiths.

Remember, there are three different versions of the Ten Commandments in the Bible. Actually four, since Moses deliberately broke an early version.

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,629 Times in 6,401 Posts

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I see those passages as coming from the later community of believers.

that's convenient

On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,296 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you read it carefully you might notice that the most trivial regulation [“one iota”] must be observed.

This passage, however, clearly cuts against the grain of Jesus’ passionate mission and his character.
    If you believe that, then you don't know much about Jesus.
    It nullifies Jesus’relaxed sentiments against the Law--doing God’s will instead of following the letter.
    Your idea about Jesus having relaxed sentiments against the Law are very strange.

Matthew 5:27-29
    27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
    28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
    29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

The Pharisees tried to excuse looking at married women with lust by blaming it on their eyes, but Jesus said you can't even use that excuse to avoid being guilty.
    Remember, there are three different versions of the Ten Commandments in the Bible. Actually four, since Moses deliberately broke an early version.
    Remember, I already corrected you on that by proving that there is only one version of the Ten Commandments, the original one.
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    If you believe that, then you don't know much about Jesus.

Your idea about Jesus having relaxed sentiments against the Law are very strange.

Matthew 5:27-29
    27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
    28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
    29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

The Pharisees tried to excuse looking at married women with lust by blaming it on their eyes, but Jesus said you can't even use that excuse to avoid being guilty.

Remember, I already corrected you on that by proving that there is only one version of the Ten Commandments, the original one.
    Noted.

I value context and history over men’s theology.
    It’s much more important for me to come to grips with the Jesus who has been buried beneath the many layers of human interpretation that have obscured him.

Theology is important--don’t get me wrong.
    But it is a human meaning that is overlayed over real or metaphorsized events.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Does anyone else love their enemies? Are you saying that love of enemies is what sets Christians apart from others?
    That is part of being a Christian yes. If you read the words of Jesus one will find much more.

Thanks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley D View Post
    That is part of being a Christian yes. If you read the words of Jesus one will find much more.
    Very good. It is good to know that you read the words of Jesus.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Yet the flesh in Romans seven gets an unloving response from Paul who was under its guidance and will power. Why, if love your enemies is the goal?
    There are different traditions throughout the Bible.
    Paul has a different tradition.
    Matthew and Luke have another.

The Bible records both.

Thread Information