Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Love your enemies

Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Love your enemies

If you have any enemies, you are to love them.

Matthew 5:44 NASB - 44 "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Luke 6:27, 35 NASB - 27 "But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, ... 35 "But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

Perhaps the love of God in your life will be that you no longer have any enemies.

God's command to love your neighbor knows no boundary.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

in beginning he created gods the heavens and the earth

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet the flesh in Romans seven gets an unloving response from Paul who was under its guidance and will power. Why, if love your enemies is the goal?
    Trying to awaken the divine principle in the belly of the fish.

Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Yet the flesh in Romans seven gets an unloving response from Paul who was under its guidance and will power. Why, if love your enemies is the goal?
    I am not sure what your question is about Romans 7. I believe you have a misconception of it.

As for the goal being love, we have this.

1 Timothy 1:5-11 NASB - 5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, 7 wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions. 8 But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9 realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers 10 and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.

There is no instruction to hate your enemy. There is not even instruction to have an enemy. But if you do, you are to love them.

Matthew 5:43-44 NASB - 43 "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' 44 "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

You should be on God's side. Then love those who are, and love others as well. This is by your actions.

Galatians 6:10 NASB - 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

So, or rather... love all (do good to all) and know that those who love God... we ought especially to do good to them.

This says nothing of ever doing anything evil to those who are not believers.

BANNED
    In front of the strange glowing screen of an inexplicable mechanism.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s run-of-the-mill humans who hate their enemies, nurse revenge fantasies and do evil to others.
    Jesus is the ultimate disclosure of God on earth.
    He was not "just a human being."

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a Christian does not love their enemy what makes them different from others.

Love for Enemies

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:43-48).
    Last edited by Bradley D; February 24th, 2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: got put in twice.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love for Enemies

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:43-48).

Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aikido7 View Post
    It’s run-of-the-mill humans who hate their enemies, nurse revenge fantasies and do evil to others.
    Jesus is the ultimate disclosure of God on earth.
    He was not "just a human being."
    What's that?

It is not good to hate your enemies, nurse revenge fantasies, or do evil to others.

If you have seen Jesus you have seen the Father.

Jesus is the only begotten Son of God.

Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley D View Post

Love for Enemies

Does anyone else love their enemies? Are you saying that love of enemies is what sets Christians apart from others?

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,331 Times in 6,925 Posts

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    was Christ loving when He said "it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck "?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

way 2 go (February 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,421 Times in 804 Posts

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    was Christ loving when He said "it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck "?
    yes

Luk 12:47 And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating.
    Luk 12:48 But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.

Mat 11:23 And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will be brought down to Hades. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
    Mat 11:24 But I tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you."

Mar 14:21 For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born."

Thanks

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post

Perhaps the love of God in your life will be that you no longer have any enemies.
    Joh 15:18 "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.
    Joh 15:19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to way 2 go For Your Post:

glorydaz (February 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post
    Joh 15:18 "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.
    Joh 15:19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.
    Are your enemies the world?

Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    Yes. He told the truth so yes.

Thanks

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Are your enemies the world?
    do you understand Jesus statement "of the world" in the context below?

Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post
    do you understand Jesus statement "of the world" in the context below?

I believe that I do, yes.

Thread Information