User Tag List

Page 1 of 98 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,441 Posts

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

Slice it, dice it any way you want.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    I am a Trinitarian. BUT, I do not feel competent to judge the non-Trinitarian believers.
    God, in infinite mercy and love is taking care of business.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that one cannot knowingly deny or reject the Trinity and be considered a "Christian."
    "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said
    I have never seen how any one could believe in the trinity. We are suppose to bring every thought in our minds to the obedience of The new testament. And the only weapons we are to use is the verses. We are not suppose to even think beyond what is written, or add one thing to the verses or take one thing away from the verses.
    Now trinity is not even written in scripture. It takes the imagination to even think about the trinity. We are suppose to get rid of our imagination.

2 Cor 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.
    4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
    5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
    (NKJ)

1 Cor 4:6
    6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that you may learn in us not to think beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up on behalf of one against the other.
    (NKJ)

Rev 22:18-19
    18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
    19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
    (NKJ)

Jesus even said we have the very same God and very same Father that He has. Jesus even said the Father is the only true God.

John 20:17
    17 Jesus said to her, "Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.'"
    (NKJ)

John 17:1-3

1 Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: "Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,
    2 "as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him.
    3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
    (NKJ)
    Paul said there is only one God the Father. All that every verse YOU REJECT. And would have to reject in order to believe in your trinity doctrine.

1 Cor 8:6
    6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
    (NKJ)

I think satan is using you Trinitarians to glorify himself. And your letting him.
    The only three in one trinity in the whole bible is here. The dragon, devil, and satan.

Rev 12:9
    9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
    (NKJ)

You couldn't accept the Word the Way God presented it. so God sent you strong delusions.

II Th 2:10-12
    10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
    11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie,
    12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
    (NKJ)

TOL Subscriber Grosnick Marowbe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,534 Times in 21,932 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I said
    I have never seen how any one could believe in the trinity. We are suppose to bring every thought in our minds to the obedience of The new testament. And the only weapons we are to use is the verses. We are not suppose to even think beyond what is written, or add one thing to the verses or take one thing away from the verses.
    Now trinity is not even written in scripture. It takes the imagination to even think about the trinity. We are suppose to get rid of our imagination.

I'm confidant of one thing; You're ALWAYS wrong!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grosnick Marowbe For Your Post:

Tambora (May 13th, 2016)

Over 1000 post club WonderfulLordJesus's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That there are Three Persons all God in scripture, this very clear, I don't know what sort of Christian denies clear scripture. Note that it's a trait of some cults to deny the Trinity, also, which is very bad, heretical company for any such "Christians" to be keeping.

People who believe false doctrines have a real spiritual problem, no doubt. The Holy Spirit should be leading a real Christian into all truth.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosnick Marowbe View Post
    I'm confidant of one thing; You're ALWAYS wrong!
    People who have the most basic Christian principles wrong really aren't worth reading. They have no spiritual vision, and you can trust nothing they say.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 1,208 Posts

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one will be saved that does not believe that Jesus has atoned for their sins. A man that is born after Adam cannot atone for the sins of another man and the sins of the world.

Jesus is the second person of the Godhead. He came to this earth through through the virgin Mary. He embraced our humanity, perfected it and took it to heaven.

"He who knew no sin, became sin for us" 2 Corinthians 5:21.

Sinners cannot save sinners, nor can sinners save themselves.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,412 Times in 11,254 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do I believe the Bible teaches that Christ is God? Yes.

Do I believe He had to be God in order to do all that He did? Yes.

Do I see that included as part of Paul's gospel? No.

But, as always, I'm open to biblical input.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,441 Posts

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    No one will be saved that does not believe that Jesus has atoned for their sins. A man that is born after Adam cannot atone for the sins of another man and the sins of the world.

Jesus is the second person of the Godhead. He came to this earth through through the virgin Mary. He embraced our humanity, perfected it and took it to heaven.

"He who knew no sin, became sin for us" 2 Corinthians 5:21.

Sinners cannot save sinners, nor can sinners save themselves.
    So is your answer yea or nay?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

Over 3000 post club
    In front of the strange glowing screen of an inexplicable mechanism.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any believer who feels (or is made to) acknowledge the Trinity theology for "membership" in the faith probably will not change his or her mind regarding the term.

For me the Trinity is a theological meaning that was devised long after Jesus died. It serves as a handy "short cut" for summing up what Jesus' later followers thought about his life and teachings and how the presence of God is to be viewed by later followers.

I tend to focus less on a "belief-based" Christianity and more on an "action-based" Christianity.

In my view, such theological statements as "Trinity," "Son of God," "born of a virgin," etc. are still important things to remember but since they are elevated and exalted TITLES of Jesus there are less important for me than his actual teachings found in his parables.

Only by endeavoring to find out what verses in the New Testament meant to their original authors helps me make the most sense of the life, death and teachings of Jesus.

Seeing things in the original, ancient context of the times is more important than the theological meanings applied to his life after his death.

I realize such a hermeneutics might come across as disruptive and even threatening to traditional believers. Maybe if those entrusted to speak to us from the pulpit should take Jesus' actual teachings more seriously than just requiring our giving our assent to a list of ancient dogmas and theological overlays.

(STILL trying to set up conservatives and fundamentalists on blind dates with Jesus...)

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,508 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bybee View Post
    I am a Trinitarian. BUT, I do not feel competent to judge the non-Trinitarian believers.
    God, in infinite mercy and love is taking care of business.
    this is decent Christian comment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 797 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only God can save.

I think somebody could be saved not understanding that Jesus Christ is God, but I cannot see how after being saved they would not have come to a proper knowledge of who He is.....

But it seems very unlikely too that anybody would really believe He is able to save if He were only a man...why would somebody trust a man who lived 2, 000 years ago to save them?
    One lavished upon in the Beloved
    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/blog.php?u=10603

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    Only God can save.

I think somebody could be saved not understanding that Jesus Christ is God, but I cannot see how after being saved they would not have come to a proper knowledge of who He is.....

But it seems very unlikely too that anybody would really believe He is able to save if He were only a man...why would somebody trust a man who lived 2, 000 years ago to save them?
    Agree completely, that we learn the faith better in our walk in the Spirit. But given a Christian of any maturity and of the Spirit could deny simple scripture truths, that Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all God, clearly so in scripture: there is definitely something wrong there.

Such a person had better examine their salvation, because, for some reason, it appears they don't have a spiritual understanding of even God's nature, spiritual knowledge of His very Person. I would add this usually involves a heretical diminution of the deity of the Lord Jesus, the very Word of God from eternity, who is also Creator and God who communed with man of the Old Testament. This they can't or refuse to see.

What is alarming is neither do the unsaved understand these things. People can even quote a Bible they don't really understand all day long. You see this all the time on message boards, too often somebody posting streams of out of context scripture verses that don't even support a point they're trying to make. This is spiritual blindness, a symptom of one without the Holy Spirit, a fake Christian.
    Last edited by WonderfulLordJesus; July 19th, 2015 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruciform View Post
    I would say that one cannot knowingly deny or reject the Trinity and be considered a "Christian."
    Non-Trinitarians believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They believe Yahwah is the Father and only true God, they believe the Son is the Messiah from Heaven, they believe Holy Spirit is a name title for Yahwah our Holy Father.

The Catholic Encyclopedia, II, page 263:
    "The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the Catholic Church in the second century."

Thread Information