User Tag List

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 174

Thread: Repent and be Baptized...for the Remission of Sins

  1. #136
    Over 1000 post club way 2 go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    646
    Thanked 465 Times in 284 Posts

    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    260822
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Not necessary for salvation. The Lord Jesus told those of the circumcision that if they believed then they were saved:
    you know Jesus was not born yet when these words were given right

    Gen 17:14 Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."

    why do you keep backdating changes to how people were saved

  2. #137
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    9,664
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 5,978 Times in 4,035 Posts

    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147776
    Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post
    you know Jesus was not born yet when these words were given right
    Did you forget the subject of this thread which is the rite of water baptism of Acts 2:38? You do know that the Lord Jesus had said the following words to the Jews who lived under the law prior to that baptism, don't you?:

    "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).

    Why should anyone believe that those Jews had to submit to the rite of baptism to be saved since the Savior Himselfsaid that if they "believed" they were saved?

    why do you keep backdating changes to how people were saved
    Here is how Paul says that David was saved and anyone in their right mind can understand that being circumcised played no part in his salvation:

    "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin" (Ro.4:5-8).

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    Tambora (August 10th, 2017)

  4. #138
    Over 1000 post club way 2 go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    646
    Thanked 465 Times in 284 Posts

    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    260822
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Did you forget the subject of this thread which is the rite of water baptism of Acts 2:38? You do know that the Lord Jesus had said the following words to the Jews who lived under the law prior to that baptism, don't you?:

    "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).

    Why should anyone believe that those Jews had to submit to the rite of baptism to be saved since the Savior Himselfsaid that if they "believed" they were saved?
    Jews inherited salvation up until Jesus started his ministry

    Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.


    Here is how Paul says that David was saved and anyone in their right mind can understand that being circumcised played no part in his salvation:

    "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin" (Ro.4:5-8).
    David experienced grace for his adultery and murder
    2Sa_12:13 And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.


    Gen 17:14 Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."

    David was not cut off from his people

  5. #139
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    9,664
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 5,978 Times in 4,035 Posts

    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147776
    Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post
    Jews inherited salvation up until Jesus started his ministry
    You are clueless! And of course I never expected you to believe what the Lord Jesus said at John 5:24. All you are doing is trying to prove what He said there is in error.

    You refuse to believe what He said there because if you did believe it then you would have to swallow your pride and admit that the Jews only had to believe to be saved:

    "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).

    It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion with someone who will just deny the words of the Lord Jesus there.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    Tambora (August 10th, 2017)

  7. #140
    Over 1000 post club way 2 go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    646
    Thanked 465 Times in 284 Posts

    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    260822
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    You are clueless! And of course I never expected you to believe what the Lord Jesus said at John 5:24. All you are doing is trying to prove what He said there is in error.
    how your using it is in error

    kinda like people misusing

    Psa 82:6 I said, "You are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you;


    It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion with someone who will just deny the words of the Lord Jesus there.
    Gen 17:14 Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."

  8. #141
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    9,664
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 5,978 Times in 4,035 Posts

    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147776
    Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post
    how your using it is in error
    That is ridiculous and of course you offered nothing in the way of proof that they way I used it is in error:

    "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).

    I said that those words were spoken to the Jews who lived under the law. Do you deny that what I said is the truth?

    And His words spoken to them are clear. The only thing He said that was required for salvation was to believe.

    Do you deny that?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    Tambora (August 10th, 2017)

  10. #142
    Over 1000 post club way 2 go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    646
    Thanked 465 Times in 284 Posts

    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    260822
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    That is ridiculous and of course you offered nothing in the way of proof that they way I used it is in error:

    "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).

    I said that those words were spoken to the Jews who lived under the law. Do you deny that what I said is the truth?

    And His words spoken to them are clear. The only thing He said that was required for salvation was to believe.

    Do you deny that?


    1Sa 28:16 And Samuel said, "Why then do you ask me, since the LORD has turned from you and become your enemy?

  11. #143
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    9,664
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 5,978 Times in 4,035 Posts

    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147776
    Quote Originally Posted by way 2 go View Post
    1Sa 28:16 And Samuel said, "Why then do you ask me, since the LORD has turned from you and become your enemy?
    I have already quoted what the Lord Jesus said to the Jews who lived under the law but you just refuse to believe what He said:

    "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).

    I said that those words were spoken to the Jews who lived under the law. Do you deny that what I said is the truth?

    And His words spoken to them are clear. The only thing He said that was required for salvation was to believe.

    Do you deny that?

    Now I am sure that you will not answer my questions and instead you will run and hide from them. Not only that, but you try to change the subject to something that happens thousands of years before the baptism of Acts 2:38.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    Tambora (August 10th, 2017)

  13. #144
    TOL Subscriber heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colossians 3:3 KJV
    Posts
    9,182
    Thanks
    5,203
    Thanked 7,343 Times in 4,514 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147704
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    My question to you is if submitting to the rite of water baptism at Acts 2:38 was necessary for salvation?
    No, it was necessary for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38 KJV). Their salvation is future (Acts 3:19-21 KJV, Romans 11:26-27 KJV, 1 Peter 1:9-13 KJV).
    2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

    Paul defines the word of truth as the gospel of your salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Ephesians 1:13 KJV). Now, study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed by rightly dividing it!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to heir For Your Post:

    patrick jane (August 12th, 2017)

  15. #145
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    9,664
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 5,978 Times in 4,035 Posts

    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147776
    Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post
    No, it was necessary for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38 KJV). Their salvation is future (Acts 3:19-21 KJV, Romans 11:26-27 KJV, 1 Peter 1:9-13 KJV).
    Their salvation was future?

    Come on, don't you know that they were already redeemed by the blood of Jesus Christ (1 Pet.18-19)?

    Or perhaps you want to argue that even though they were redeemed by the blood of the Lamb that they were still not saved? All of them who believed were given eternal life and none of them will ever perish:

    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"
    (Jn.3:16).

    You have been given some bad information and you still cling to that false teaching even though you have already been shown that you are wrong. Now you are leading others astray.

  16. #146
    TOL Subscriber heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colossians 3:3 KJV
    Posts
    9,182
    Thanks
    5,203
    Thanked 7,343 Times in 4,514 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147704
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Their salvation was future?
    Is, not was! The evidence is overwhelming! Zechariah 13:1 KJV, Acts 3:19-21 KJV, Romans 11:26-27 KJV, Hebrews 8:8-12 KJV, 1 Peter 1:9-13 KJV
    2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

    Paul defines the word of truth as the gospel of your salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Ephesians 1:13 KJV). Now, study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed by rightly dividing it!

  17. #147
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    9,664
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 5,978 Times in 4,035 Posts

    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147776
    Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post
    Is, not was! The evidence is overwhelming! Zechariah 13:1 KJV, Acts 3:19-21 KJV, Romans 11:26-27 KJV, Hebrews 8:8-12 KJV, 1 Peter 1:9-13 KJV
    You fail to understand that the verses to which you refer are speaking of a future time when ALL Israel will be saved. But individual Jews were being saved during the first century.

    Or do you want to argue that the Jews who Peter said had been redeemed by the blood of the Lord Jesus were not yet saved?

  18. #148
    TOL Subscriber heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colossians 3:3 KJV
    Posts
    9,182
    Thanks
    5,203
    Thanked 7,343 Times in 4,514 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147704
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    You fail to understand...
    Your accusation does not change the overwhelming evidence that their salvation is future.
    2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

    Paul defines the word of truth as the gospel of your salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Ephesians 1:13 KJV). Now, study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed by rightly dividing it!

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heir For Your Post:

    Ktoyou (August 24th, 2017),patrick jane (August 23rd, 2017)

  20. #149
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    9,664
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 5,978 Times in 4,035 Posts

    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147776
    Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post
    Your accusation does not change the overwhelming evidence that their salvation is future.
    So even though Peter tells the Jewish believers that they are redeemed by the blood of the Lord Jesus they were not saved?

    And even though he told them that they were born again they were not yet saved?

    And even though John told the Jewish believers that they have been given eternal life and that life is in Jesus Christ they weren't yet saved?

    And even though the author of Hebrews tells the Jewish believers that they have been perfected forever they were not yet saved?

    And even though the same author told the Jewish believers that they have obtained eternal redemption they were not yet saved?

    You are totally confused!

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    Ktoyou (August 24th, 2017)

  22. #150
    TOL Legend Ktoyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama and Florida
    Posts
    8,863
    Thanks
    1,877
    Thanked 5,387 Times in 3,824 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147699
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    So even though Peter tells the Jewish believers that they are redeemed by the blood of the Lord Jesus they were not saved?

    And even though he told them that they were born again they were not yet saved?

    And even though John told the Jewish believers that they have been given eternal life and that life is in Jesus Christ they weren't yet saved?

    And even though the author of Hebrews tells the Jewish believers that they have been perfected forever they were not yet saved?

    And even though the same author told the Jewish believers that they have obtained eternal redemption they were not yet saved?

    You are totally confused!
    Those who believed in Christ were saved. She means those who would not receive Him as savior.
    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    Christian theology isn't to be in Christ.


    So, what?

    believe it!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us