Thread: Is it offensive?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,694 Times in 2,185 Posts

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is it offensive?

This should be a good thread that will help everyone understand why their indiscreet pictures received an infraction and or ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    You might want to start another thread if this is going much further
    Quote Originally Posted by I drank what? View Post
    So, It appears I've been WARNED about this post, because it contains

"Intentional Blasphemy"
    Spoiler

LIKE THIS? LOLZZZ ROFLBBQ

I CAN HAZ SCIUNZ?

can someone explain to me how I was being blasphemous (intentionally)?

perhaps the person who reported it? or anyone?

also are people on this site familiar with the concept of Satire?

because i've been to sites that love censorship, and very closed minded discussions, so if this is one of them, you can tell me now

saves time
    Now I'm not sure if you read 'Jesus' in your own cartoon or not...

Satire does NOT get a free pass. Before doing [satire], you should ask 1) does this make an important point (it didn't imho). 2) Is it offensive? 3) Does the point outweigh the offense? 4) and most importantly: Is it worth my inevitable infraction?

The picture "itself" was offensive and you posted it.

Here, let me make this even easier for you: Is it/was it worth it?

IOW, is it worth the inevitable infraction?

For me, I also have a TON of other things that help make this work, but less 'simple.'
    1) Can I make the point in a manner that will not 'lose' my audience (you lost your audience).
    2) Can I explain better than a cartoon? (yes again on this point)
    3) Can I find an illustration that I 'know' is acceptable to a wider audience and makes the same point?
    4) Am I after a laugh, or a serious point?

I just did a picture in 'this thread.'

There isn't anything offensive about it, and it makes an important point about the guy's thread and and his thoughts.
    The rules governing this are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post

1. Thou SHALL NOT use profanity or insinuated profanity on this forum. Crass potty humor is also discouraged here at TOL.

2. Thou SHALL NOT attempt to upload profane images or video to our website or post links to profane material on our website. Profane avatars, usernames, and profile images are also illegal and will result in instant banishment.

3. Thou SHALL NOT be intentionally blasphemous or unnecessarily disruptive. Emphasis on "unnecessarily disruptive." We will ban you if you are presenting yourself as an unneeded distraction (yes this is subjective - live with it). Be mindful of the spirit of the discussion
    Last edited by Lon; April 23rd, 2015 at 09:30 PM.
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

The Flying Ban Hammer ✈ Spam Killing Tomcat Sherman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,978 Times in 7,597 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The infraction was just and I didn't hand it out.

The Troll Shredder--Brrrtttttt!

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? More like tolerate perversity.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sherman For Your Post:

Tambora (August 10th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh we'll get to this, don't you worry

#politically correct
    #victim's society
    #precious snowflakes

#hashtaghashtag

/pet peave

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with blasphemy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sherman For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

oh we'll get to this, don't you worry

#politically correct
    #victim's society
    #precious snowflakes

#hashtaghashtag

/pet peave

If you ban him, he won't learn nothin'!

(TOL might not be interested after an attempt or two to get you to learn)

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Thanks
    Thanked 18,458 Times in 11,626 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Blasphemy -

: great disrespect shown to God or to something holy

: something said or done that is disrespectful to God or to something holy

TOLs limited rules (new member, you need to familarize yourself with these to avoid any problems with your posts):

The NEW-UPDATED 10 TOL Commandments

1. Thou SHALL NOT use profanity or insinuated profanity on this forum. Crass potty humor is also discouraged here at TOL.

2. Thou SHALL NOT attempt to upload profane images or video to our website or post links to profane material on our website. Profane avatars, usernames, and profile images are also illegal and will result in instant banishment.

3. Thou SHALL NOT be intentionally blasphemous or unnecessarily disruptive. Emphasis on "unnecessarily disruptive." We will ban you if you are presenting yourself as an unneeded distraction (yes this is subjective - live with it). Be mindful of the spirit of the discussion.

4. Thou SHALL NOT call other TOL members names without cause. Appropriately identifying the wicked is not only allowed but encouraged. Again, TOL is a right-wing Christian forum and therefore our bias is not hidden.

5. Thou SHALL NOT hijack threads or be a "thread pest" (Hijacking a thread means intentionally changing the subject of a thread to discredit the thread's purpose. And being a "thread pest" means you pop into random threads just to make a mocking comment with no other purpose than to marginalize the discussion). If you are not interested in the topic of a thread, you might just want to stay out of it.

6. Thou SHALL NOT post copyrighted material on our website (without prior approval). Plagiarism is also a bannable offense - If you are posting material written by others, make sure to give them credit.

7. Thou SHALL NOT troll our forums. If you are here to make outlandish, crazy statements merely to get a rise out of the membership and cause trouble, please save yourself the time and leave.

8. Thou SHALL NOT attempt to redirect members to another forum, website, or blog. (Profile and signature links may be allowed with administrator approval.) Using our PM system to redirect members to other forums or websites is also a bannable offense.

9. Thou SHALL NOT disrespect TOL moderators and admins (if you are asked by a TOL moderator to alter a post, your signature, avatar, or other input on TOL, please respect that request). If you have been banned, please wait-out your ban. Please do not re-register using a new username unless you have made a special arrangement with the TOL staff.

10. Thou SHALL NOT advocate or encourage criminal behavior on TOL. Personal threats and/or advocating criminal behavior will result in an instant ban. Making racist comments and other unnecessary personal comments may also cause banishment.

All of the above commandments are subjective in nature and will be determined on a case by case basis by the TOL staff.

Other things to avoid... These items may or may not cause TOL banishment.

Please do not stalk another TOL member. If you do not agree with a TOL member, do not follow that member around the TOL forum engaging them in every thread (even unrelated to the disagreement). If we determine you are a forum stalker we will ban you.

Please do not post in ALL CAPS or in all bolded text.

Please do not post SPAM unless its by our design, and even then please be creative and keep spamming to a minimum. Do not make it your obsession or you will be banned. Spam is making posts with just a word or two or just a smilie in an attempt to boost your post count.

Please do not make posts that are extremely long. Anything over 6 short paragraphs may be considered too long. Don't attempt to make your whole argument in one post. (Battle Royale's are exempt from this rule.)

Please do not copy and paste your previous papers and writings (like high school or college papers) without prior approval. TheologyOnLine is for dialogue.

Please do not marginalize TOL threads or TOL members, the topics and threads that interest some TOL members might not interest you. Just ignore threads and TOL members that do not interest you.

"Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson
    Proverbs 3:5-8

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,346 Times in 13,287 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you ban him, he won't learn nothin'!
    But we'll have one less clown to deal with.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course this thread is offensive, EVERYthing is offensive

you're offensive i'm offensive, we're all offensive here...

this pic is offensive to cats, and madness

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, members of the body of Christ are not offensive to me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
    Blasphemy -

: great disrespect shown to God or to something holy

: something said or done that is disrespectful to God or to something holy

TOLs limited rules (new member, you need to familarize yourself with these to avoid any problems with your posts):

The NEW-UPDATED 10 TOL Commandments

3. Thou SHALL NOT be intentionally blasphemous or unnecessarily disruptive. Emphasis on "unnecessarily disruptive." We will ban you if you are presenting yourself as an unneeded distraction (yes this is subjective - live with it). Be mindful of the spirit of the discussion.

4. Thou SHALL NOT call other TOL members names without cause. Appropriately identifying the wicked is not only allowed but encouraged. Again, TOL is a right-wing Christian forum and therefore our bias is not hidden.

5. Thou SHALL NOT hijack threads or be a "thread pest" (Hijacking a thread means intentionally changing the subject of a thread to discredit the thread's purpose. And being a "thread pest" means you pop into random threads just to make a mocking comment with no other purpose than to marginalize the discussion). If you are not interested in the topic of a thread, you might just want to stay out of it.

6. Thou SHALL NOT post copyrighted material on our website (without prior approval). Plagiarism is also a bannable offense - If you are posting material written by others, make sure to give them credit.

7. Thou SHALL NOT troll our forums. If you are here to make outlandish, crazy statements merely to get a rise out of the membership and cause trouble, please save yourself the time and leave.

8. Thou SHALL NOT attempt to redirect members to another forum, website, or blog. (Profile and signature links may be allowed with administrator approval.) Using our PM system to redirect members to other forums or websites is also a bannable offense.

9. Thou SHALL NOT disrespect TOL moderators and admins (if you are asked by a TOL moderator to alter a post, your signature, avatar, or other input on TOL, please respect that request). If you have been banned, please wait-out your ban. Please do not re-register using a new username unless you have made a special arrangement with the TOL staff.

10. Thou SHALL NOT advocate or encourage criminal behavior on TOL. Personal threats and/or advocating criminal behavior will result in an instant ban. Making racist comments and other unnecessary personal comments may also cause banishment.

All of the above commandments are subjective in nature and will be determined on a case by case basis by the TOL staff.

Other things to avoid... These items may or may not cause TOL banishment.

Please do not stalk another TOL member. If you do not agree with a TOL member, do not follow that member around the TOL forum engaging them in every thread (even unrelated to the disagreement). If we determine you are a forum stalker we will ban you.

Please do not post in ALL CAPS or in all bolded text.

Please do not post SPAM unless its by our design, and even then please be creative and keep spamming to a minimum. Do not make it your obsession or you will be banned. Spam is making posts with just a word or two or just a smilie in an attempt to boost your post count.

Please do not make posts that are extremely long. Anything over 6 short paragraphs may be considered too long. Don't attempt to make your whole argument in one post. (Battle Royale's are exempt from this rule.)

Please do not copy and paste your previous papers and writings (like high school or college papers) without prior approval. TheologyOnLine is for dialogue.

Please do not marginalize TOL threads or TOL members, the topics and threads that interest some TOL members might not interest you. Just ignore threads and TOL members that do not interest you.
    subjective being the key word...

indeed

i feel like this post in blasphemous, therefore you and whoever wrote it should be banned :P

Thanks

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
    Blasphemy -

Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    But we'll have one less clown to deal with.
    Yeah, you can't teach everybody... IDW? Try "uneccessarily" offensive or "inappropriately" offensive, or "rudely" offensive or "disrespectfully" offensive or especially "blasphemously" offensive...

You go ahead and determine how long you want to be here.

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TOL Rules
    Careful what you say IDW. Those rules were written by the forum owner. Don't like them, go post someplace else.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sherman For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    No, members of the body of Christ are not offensive to me.
    the words 'members' and 'body' are offensive to me, ESPECIALLY when used in the same sentence

have you no shame?!

i... i... fell faint....

*faints*

you better just not post anything, it's the only way to be sure...

/nuke it from orbit?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    TOL Rules
    Careful what you say IDW. Those rules were written by the forum owner. Don't like them, go post someplace else.
    are you threatening me?!

I dare you to ban me

you will only prove my point...

i like when people learn

narrowminded, censoring, snowflakes.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the words 'members' and 'body' are offensive to me, ESPECIALLY when used in the same sentence

have you no shame?!

i... i... fell faint....

*faints*

you better just not post anything, it's the only way to be sure...

/nuke it from orbit?
    I love offending those who claim people have to perform some work, albeit "insignificant" work in order to be saved. So, rest assured I will be posting where you can see it. Or, you can block me and then I can talk about you behind your back. Either way.....

22. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

Thread Information