Thread: MLB - 2017

Over 1000 post club Mocking You's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saved.One.by.Grace View Post
    I grew up watching Bob Gibson and Steve Carlton pitch against Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax and Juan Marichal. Baseball doesn't get any better than that.
    I grew up at the tail end of that era. My favorite player as a kid was Brooks Robinson. I watch baseball nowadays and as far as the players performing the fundamentals of the game it is pathetic.

For those who don't know who Don Drysdale is:
    Drysdale used a sidearm fastball and brushback pitches to intimidate hitters, and was not afraid to throw inside, as Orlando Cepeda described “The trick against (Don) Drysdale is to hit him before he hits you”. Upon his retirement from the game, Drysdale’s 154 batters hit by a pitch were a modern National League record. As he put it “My own little rule was two for one—if one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team”.
    That's real baseball.
    No, that's stupid baseball. Nothing wrong with a brushback pitch, but to deliberately hit two batters for each teammate that was hit is gross headhunting and I'm glad the game has cleaned this up.
    "Anarchy is better than no government at all."

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mocking You View Post
    I grew up at the tail end of that era. My favorite player as a kid was Brooks Robinson. I watch baseball nowadays and as far as the players performing the fundamentals of the game it is pathetic.

No, that's stupid baseball. Nothing wrong with a brushback pitch, but to deliberately hit two batters for each teammate that was hit is gross headhunting and I'm glad the game has cleaned this up.
    Not so. If the other team is intiminated before the game starts, that's an edge. Also, a brushback pitch is not necessarily a high pitch inside at eye level. You are making assumptions without facts. This is how the game was played. Pitchers didn't miss a turn for a blister on a finger. Bob Gibson pitched much the same way as Drysdale. The difference was Gibson was also a .300 hitter.
    Eph 2:8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift --
    Eph 2:9 not from works, so that no one can boast.
    Eph 2:10 For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them. [HCSB]

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so. If the other team is intiminated before the game starts, that's an edge. Also, a brushback pitch is not necessarily a high pitch inside at eye level. You are making assumptions without facts. This is how the game was played. Pitchers didn't miss a turn for a blister on a finger. Bob Gibson pitched much the same way as Drysdale. The difference was Gibson was also a .300 hitter.
    And pitchers didn't make $150 million either. Teams try to protect their assets now. The LA Dodgers once had Sandy Koufax throw 150 pitches in a spring training game. Thankfully, teams today are not that myopic.
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so. If the other team is intiminated before the game starts, that's an edge. Also, a brushback pitch is not necessarily a high pitch inside at eye level.
    I wasn't necessarily meaning head-hunting meant throwing at eye level, though it seems to convey that thought. I guess I should have said that hunting two guys for the one teammate that was hit was stupid baseball--careers can be ruined. I don't go to baseball games to see someone get beaned, just like I don't go to hockey games to see fights.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    And pitchers didn't make $150 million either. Teams try to protect their assets now. The LA Dodgers once had Sandy Koufax throw 150 pitches in a spring training game. Thankfully, teams today are not that myopic.
    Most teams are not that myopic. However, years of Jim Leyland abusing Justin Verlander pitch counts has resulted in Verlander missing his opening day start because he's on the DL for the first time in his career. His average pitch velocity has dropped from 95.5 to 93.1 mph. Verlander is guaranteed $140 million over the next 5 years.

Also, the Texas Rangers under Nolan Ryan's guidance decided they would have starters go deeper into games. I think they lost 3 starting pitchers last year for the whole year, or most of it, and this year Yu Darvish is out for the year.

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mocking You View Post
    I wasn't necessarily meaning head-hunting meant throwing at eye level, though it seems to convey that thought. I guess I should have said that hunting two guys for the one teammate that was hit was stupid baseball--careers can be ruined. I don't go to baseball games to see someone get beaned, just like I don't go to hockey games to see fights.
    The only serious injury I can remember happened in Cleveland when Herb Score was hit in the eye with a batted ball. Doctor's were able to save his eye but he was never the same pitcher after that. My father told me about that. It happened sometime in the mid 1950s. One year, Bob Gibson broke his leg early in the season. (Roberto Clemente hit a line drive off his leg fracturing his right leg. Unaware, he pitched to three more batters before his right fibia snapped above the ankle forcing him to leave the game.) This was the age of a four-man rotation so innings were high. The game was changed forever in 1968 with what Bob Gibson and Denny McLain did. Both won Cy Young's and MVP's that year. The mound was then lowered in 1969 to give batters a better chance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Gibson
    Last edited by Saved.One.by.Grace; April 8th, 2015 at 07:35 AM.
    Eph 2:8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift --
    Eph 2:10 For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them. [HCSB]

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    The Cubs have not won the World Series since 1908 (106 years).

The Cubs have not been to the World Series since 1945 (69 years)

I'm glad I'm not a Cubs fan.
    I was a Cubs fan until 1994. I have watched very few major league games since.

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    The Cubs have a lot of elite young talent, Chris Bryant being the big kahuna. Plus their GM is Theo Epstein, who ended the Red Sox 86 year World Series title drought in 2004. His goal is to do the same in Chicago.
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    Was it the strike in 1994 that turned you away from the game?
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,548 Times in 5,536 Posts

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it the strike in 1994 that turned you away from the game?
    Saint John W

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    Only 6 teams have won more World Series' than the Pirates.

The Pirates have the best winning percentage (.714) of any team that has played in more than two World Series'.
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,577 Times in 10,926 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

cards/cubs shows up on the guide, but no baseball on fox sports or wgn ? hockey instead
    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -

Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -

13. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick jane For Your Post:

Mark M (March 4th, 2016)

Thanks

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only 6 teams have won more World Series' than the Pirates.

The Pirates have the best winning percentage (.714) of any team that has played in more than two World Series'.
    And a broken clock is correct twice, every 2 hours. The last time that sad excuse for a baseball "team"(loosely used here) won a World Series, was when disco was in, and you had a backbone, and hair.
    Saint John W

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my family took us to baseball games, Lou Brock was my favorite player to watch. He invented new ways to steal basis. He'd just casually walk off first base and when the pitcher thru to the first baseman, he'd hightailed it to second base ... safe. Hey Cub fans, how'd that Brock for Broglio plus two others trade work out for you in 1964? Seems like I remember the Cardinals beating the Yankees that year in the World Series.

Thanks

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Cards, despite having lost "one in a row," are only a 1/2 game out of first.
    Saint John W

Thread Information