Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Should voting be mandatory?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PureX View Post
    I would respect not voting if those who do not vote would go to the polls and encourage others not to vote, in protest. But just sitting on your butt and doing nothing ...
    What he is doing on this thread is akin to what you would respect him for doing at the polls.
    "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Nobody is free when others are oppressed Rusha's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,912 Posts

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1PeaceMaker View Post
    I will not dignify the voting process because it is not only fundamentally broken, it is run by thieves who stole our government and now want to force us to pretend we run it
    While I don't believe anyone should be required to vote, those who shrug their shoulders and don't wish to voice their concerns and preferences by voting, get exactly the system they deserve.
    Women have been taught that, for us, the earth is flat, and that if we venture out, we will fall off the edge. ~ Andrea Dworkin

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusha View Post
    While I don't believe anyone should be required to vote, those who shrug their shoulders and don't wish to voice their concerns and preferences by voting, get exactly the system they deserve.
    Do you get a system you don't deserve by voting?

I'm looking to get the system I deserve.
    "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elohiym View Post
    Do you get a system you don't deserve by voting?
    I see what you are *trying* to do there. The difference with voters as compared to those who stick their heads in the sand and pull it out long enough to complain is that voters have actually earned the right to complain.
    Women have been taught that, for us, the earth is flat, and that if we venture out, we will fall off the edge. ~ Andrea Dworkin

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you are *trying* to do there. The difference with voters as compared to those who stick their heads in the sand and pull it out long enough to complain is that voters have actually earned the right to complain.
    This idea that we earn rights through voting is new to me. Perhaps you can elaborate.

Thanks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps you can elaborate.
    Simple ... voting is an activity for responsible grown ups who are concerned about society as a whole rather than just what is going on in their own little world.

Of course those irresponsible non-voters have a legal right to complain. It's called free speech. Just as it's free speech when when others say "Who cares about the whinings of non-voters?"

There are two camps: Part of the problem ... and Part of the solution

Non-voters are always part of the problem.

As pointed out before, I don't want mandatory voting because quality is always superior to quantity.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What he is doing on this thread is akin to what you would respect him for doing at the polls.
    Yeah, but this thread has almost zero 'reach', politically. And we are all still just sitting on our butts, here, aren't we. Whereas if people started showing up at the polls and encouraging others not to vote, in protest; that would likely get some real local attention. And that attention would cause others to think a bit, about the value of their own votes, and about how to send the messages that they want to send to their political representatives.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    Abstaining as a result of laziness is foolish.
    Abstaining because no available candidate represents me or mine, because the system is inherently flawed to a ludicrous degree, because the system is manipulated by people whose names are never reported and whose faces never pass in front of a camera, is simply acting as conscience demands.
    Unless you make this difference known to the people who matter (other voters and the politicians), there is no effective difference. That's what you seem to be working at not recognizing. Doing nothing is just doing nothing. It's not doing something (being conscientious) until you actually do something.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't insult those who keep them accountable, see my promotion of blackboxvoting.org !
    I say you did

I will not dignify the voting process because it is not only fundamentally broken, it is run by thieves who stole our government and now want to force us to pretend we run it.
    a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Resident Rocket Surgeon rocketman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,090 Posts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    Do you not look to your own experiences when making decisions?
    If your experience with voting was a straight line of disappointment, disillusionment, and generally being screwed over no matter who won, would you continue spinning your wheels expecting to get somewhere?
    Yes, and I do...vote that is, even though the system may be all the above mentioned but, not voting at all also means you have no right to complain about what you get, given you have shirked your duty out of apathy. Your vote in essence is that you get exactly what you put into it ...nothing, ergo you have waived your right to complain over a process that you freely choose to not take part in. If you have given up that means you concede which also means you should refrain from complaining about it.
    The winner of the 2011 Truthsmacker of the Year Award

Help Take Back Our Country from Washington D.C.. with the Convention of States

Thanks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Yes, and I do...vote that is, even though the system may be all the above mentioned but, not voting at all also means you have no right to complain about what you get, given you have shirked your duty out of apathy. Your vote in essence is that you get exactly what you put into it ...nothing, ergo you have waived your right to complain over a process that you freely choose to not take part in. If you have given up that means you concede which also means you should refrain from complaining about it.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...voters have actually earned the right to complain.
    This idea that we earn rights through voting is new to me. Perhaps you can elaborate.
    Simple ... voting is an activity for responsible grown ups who are concerned about society as a whole rather than just what is going on in their own little world.
    That doesn't answer the question. You need to explain how my vote allegedly gives me a right to complain I otherwise don't have. Since you have belligerently conceded the fact that I have a right to free speech, your point fails like your political system.

The rights I am concerned about are inalienable and should be unaffected by voting, and the system I deserve should protect those rights whether I vote or not. Furthermore, the issues I am most concerned about cannot be changed through voting at this time, if ever.

Have you been able to vote abortion out of existence, or is it just a talking point you argue during an election cycle prior to you casting a vote for another corporate lackey and patting yourself on the back for thinking you've made a difference?

Thanks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That doesn't answer the question.
    It answers the question to *my* satisfaction. That is all that is necessary.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Your vote in essence is that you get exactly what you put into it ...nothing, ergo you have waived your right to complain over a process that you freely choose to not take part in. If you have given up that means you concede which also means you should refrain from complaining about it.
    What did military service in combat for the U.S. earn me? Do I get to complain about wars but not you? And if I chose to not vote for corporate lackeys, have I somehow lost the rights I believed I was risking my life to defend for the both of us?

Thread Information