Thread: Should voting be mandatory?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 708 Posts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagster01 View Post
    According to the article only 37% of Americans voted in last year's mid-term. 144 million Americans skipped out.

Is this a road we want to travel?
    Most of us live in districts that have been drawn to make it almost impossible to change the winner. People correctly perceive that their vote doesn't make much difference, and they stay home. It is actually perfectly rational behavior as far as that goes, and I think the right way to address it is not to try to punish people for making that rational decision, but to change the elections to give people meaningful choices at the polls.

I think the only way to do that that makes sense is STV.
    Global warming denialists are like gravity denialists piloting a helicopter, determined to prove a point. We may not have time to actually persuade them of their mistake.

Over 500 post club Word based mystic's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by republicanchick View Post
    I think this whole topic is COMICAL

b/c when I first heard this, I KNEW the reason (who wouldn't?)

WHY the pres wants this..

he knows (as most of us do) that the LOW info people, the ones who don't read factual books (only fiction) and ... well, let's call them Watter's World voters... would vote for people like HIM!!

Wow... it's funny (LOL) how he insults his own party...

people like this would vote for people like him!

LOL

hey, but u gotta give the dude credit... he's even willing to INSULT HIMSELF

to get his party into office...

____

image and charisma/charm

not character and long term planning.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathca View Post
    To be clear in Australian mandatory voting is is NOT mandatory to vote, it is mandatory to show up to the voting station and have your name ticked off. It is quite fine to show up to the voting station, get your name ticked off and then rip up the voting card in the officials face if you so wanted.
    So it's basically a pointless exercise where the government is saying, "See, we can make you show up and get your name ticked off." That's not freedom, in my opinion.
    "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Word based mystic View Post

image and charisma/charm

not character and long term planning.
    you mean with libs only Appearances matter?

I know...

__

Over 1500 post club 1PeaceMaker's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
    ...I know how it works. I also know that it would provide a stable alternative to our current system of third-party candidates "stealing votes" from one or the other oligarchical party.

To quote the article:
    "How voters cast their subsequent preferences is far more difficult to ascertain—or even to influence. None of the mainstream parties wish to be associated with, for example, extremist parties. Nor are they likely to appeal to such voters to gain their subsequent preferences."

This sounds pretty close to ideal to me, especially after decades of watching the Republican party continue to plow toward the cliff at the conservative end of the political spectrum.
    The problem, Buzz, is not voting style as much as an honesty and trust issues. On both sides there is voting fraud. Until they make it an honest affair they will encounter resisters. Unless they push the issue; then there will be more than resisters, they will suffer an influx of politically active reformers breathing down their necks the rest of the way.

You do realize the majority of voters in this country aren't "thinkers," right?
    The majority are uneducated compared to what is needed for responsible citizenship, and are easily swayed by the indoctrination of their childhood.
    They still rely on the mainstream media, which masquerades as "journalism," and hasn't been "free" (read: objective) in a generation or two.

And thus under your system will be just as easily swayed to the candidate the wealthy want them to support as they are under the current system, and nothing would change.
    There is a large contingent of sincere, passionate non-voters. Force them to come to the polls and that minority will be found to be quite vocal and influential.

They will meddle and mess up the plans of the vote-fraudsters.
    Got Eternal Life?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,145 Times in 4,085 Posts

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If everybody over the age of 18, citizen or not, was supposed to make a critical decision, then that is how the constitution would have been written. High voter turn out in fact favors the wicked.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

I am Miss America because I say so, you must agree Angel4Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,450 Times in 9,780 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obama thinks so. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politi...ing/index.html

I've heard this idea kicked around a few times on this board.

How do we offset the influence of big money in politics while fixing the country's abysmal voter turnout rate?

President Barack Obama suggests it might be time to make voting a requirement.

"In Australia and some other countries, there's mandatory voting," Obama said Wednesday in Cleveland, where he spoke about the importance of middle-class economics.

"It would be transformative if everybody voted -- that would counteract money more than anything."

The clout of millionaires and billionaires in campaign funding has been enormous, and many claim the uber wealthy have undue leverage in politics.

"The people who tend not to vote are young, they're lower income, they're skewed more heavily towards immigrant groups and minority groups," Obama said. "There's a reason why some folks try to keep them away from the polls."

At least 26 countries have compulsory voting, according to the Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance. Failure to vote is punishable by a fine in countries such as Australia and Belgium; if you fail to pay your fine in Belgium, you could go to prison.

According to the article only 37% of Americans voted in last year's mid-term. 144 million Americans skipped out.

Says the president who spent more money on campaigning than any other in history.

No, it should not be mandatory.
    <a href=http://theologyonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23146&d=1455650224 target=_blank>http://theologyonline.com/attachment...6&d=1455650224</a>

"Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

Tambora (July 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I refuse to vote. Last time I voted was 2010, and will not vote again. I refuse to vote for the "lesser of two evil" because however I vote, I would be voting for evil.

Resident Rocket Surgeon rocketman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 962 Posts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obama thinks so. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politi...ing/index.html

I've heard this idea kicked around a few times on this board.

How do we offset the influence of big money in politics while fixing the country's abysmal voter turnout rate?

President Barack Obama suggests it might be time to make voting a requirement.

"In Australia and some other countries, there's mandatory voting," Obama said Wednesday in Cleveland, where he spoke about the importance of middle-class economics.

"It would be transformative if everybody voted -- that would counteract money more than anything."

The clout of millionaires and billionaires in campaign funding has been enormous, and many claim the uber wealthy have undue leverage in politics.

"The people who tend not to vote are young, they're lower income, they're skewed more heavily towards immigrant groups and minority groups," Obama said. "There's a reason why some folks try to keep them away from the polls."

At least 26 countries have compulsory voting, according to the Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance. Failure to vote is punishable by a fine in countries such as Australia and Belgium; if you fail to pay your fine in Belgium, you could go to prison.

Should have made this a poll Shaggy...and no, voting should not be mandatory. Voting is a privilege that is extended to all citizens but, it is not, nor should it ever become a legally mandated duty, liberty kind of works that way. I do find it curious though that the same man that opposes voter identification to vote wants to mandate that all legally have to vote...without I.D. how will they assure all vote? How does that work?
    The winner of the 2011 Truthsmacker of the Year Award

Help Take Back Our Country from Washington D.C.. with the Convention of States

Resident Rocket Surgeon rocketman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 962 Posts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathca View Post
    It seems most of you objecting to this are objecting on irrelevant grounds. Obama seems to be quite clear in suggesting an Australian like "mandatory" voting system which makes most of your objections moot.

To be clear in Australian mandatory voting is is NOT mandatory to vote, it is mandatory to show up to the voting station and have your name ticked off. It is quite fine to show up to the voting station, get your name ticked off and then rip up the voting card in the officials face if you so wanted. Most who truly don't want to vote however just do whats called a "donkey vote", hand a blank (or fill it in with a joke/invalid way) card in. On the whole though most people having shown up tend to vote.

(Note : I am Australian)
    Than what is the point?
    The winner of the 2011 Truthsmacker of the Year Award

Help Take Back Our Country from Washington D.C.. with the Convention of States

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    It was mandatory in Iraq and Hussein got 100% of the vote as a result.
    Only 100% - rumor has it that the 2016 presidential votes in Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach Counties in Florida have already been counted.

101% in favor of Jeb Bush!
    Last edited by jgarden; March 19th, 2015 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel1611 View Post
    I refuse to vote. Last time I voted was 2010, and will not vote again. I refuse to vote for the "lesser of two evil" because however I vote, I would be voting for evil.
    You realize you can vote for more than the two parties, right?
    Having the right to do something does not automatically make it the right thing to do.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.”~Founding Father Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,

Thanks
    Thanked 6,145 Times in 4,085 Posts

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You realize you can vote for more than the two parties, right?
    I do it often.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Than what is the point?
    Come on.... Is this really so hard to grasp? The result is high voter participation, most people don't donkey vote or throw the ballot away. Do I need to spell this out further? Please don't try and argue facts are wrong because they disagree with your ideology though...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 733 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO - I don't want people who don't care forced to vote. It would be meaningless marks on paper.
    Jesus Christ Is God - See My Blogs

e-Sword - Great & Free Bible Study Software
    Official e-Sword download site (Freeware):
    http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

Thousands of FREE add-on modules for e-Sword:
    http://www.biblesupport.com/

Romans 10:9-10 KJV That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Thread Information