Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324

Thread: Fast Personality Test

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffreeloader View Post
    Are you trying to say an innkeeper sits and sighs and worries about people he has no reason to know exist? You're once again trying to create something that does not exist.

It might or might not exist.

On what basis do you claim that this does not exist?

You (we) don't have enough information to make such an assessment.

You're assuming this individual thinks like you do thus you project your particular interpretation of this scenario onto the innkeeper. (As opposed to empathizing with.)

You've no grounds for doing so. You must broaden your palate...understand and examine how other's alternate (albeit alien to you) ways of emotionally experiencing a situation may differ from yours.
    Last edited by quip; November 19th, 2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Clarification
    _/\_

Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

Over 500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quip View Post
    It might or might not exist.

On what basis do you claim that this does not exist?

You (we) don't have enough information to make such an assessment.

You're assuming this individual thinks like you do thus you project your particular interpretation of this scenario onto the innkeeper. (As opposed to empathizing with.)

You've no grounds for doing so. You must broaden your palate...understand and examine how other's alternate (albeit alien to you) ways of emotionally experiencing a situation may differ from yours.
    It seems to me that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. That I can't see a hypothetical that you insist exists, but the scenario gave to no evidence for, means I cannot understand or empathize with an innkeeper. That is just plain old false. But, you'll see it as you desire.

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. That I can't see a hypothetical that you insist exists, but the scenario gave to no evidence for, means I cannot understand or empathize with an innkeeper. That is just plain old false. But, you'll see it as you desire.

What doesn't exist that I keep insisting does exist.....the particular subjective experience of the innkeeper?

Are you solipsistic?
    _/\_

Over 500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What doesn't exist that I keep insisting does exist.....the particular subjective experience of the innkeeper?

Are you solipsistic?
    You keep on insisting that I need to empathize with the innkeeper. As this entire conversation has been about empathizing with those who are hurting your insistence that I empathize with somone to whom no harm was done, and has no reason for greiving in this scenario, is you insisting that something exists for which there is zero evidence. If anything, the innkeeper has reason to rejoice for his business is as successful as it is possible for it to be at this particular moment.

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You keep on insisting that I need to empathize with the innkeeper. As this entire conversation has been about empathizing with those who are hurting your insistence that I empathize with somone to whom no harm was done, and has no reason for greiving in this scenario, is you insisting that something exists for which there is zero evidence. If anything, the innkeeper has reason to rejoice for his business is as successful as it is possible for it to be at this particular moment.
    How do you know that no harm was done? (From the innkeeper's POV)

There is a whole spectrum of emotions this innkeeper can feel regarding this scenario.

You seem to take a logical approach to the innkeeper's situation, though the innkeeper may approach the situation completely different than you...as each individual is unique.

It's about possibilities not (what you project as to) what should exist or doesn't exist. Think of the innkeepers response to the situation as a variable, say X. You may sympathize with them logically and see that the innkeeper should not feel bad (because that's how you would view the situation.) But to empathize with him or her you need to understand the possibility of alternate responses. Accept that his or her X may drastically differ from your X.
    _/\_

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    _/\_

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's so special about this one? (I took it BTW)
    The full article is here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...one-that-isnt/

The gist of it is this:

The most popular — used by the vast majority of scientists who study personality — is called the Big Five, a system that organizes personality around five broad clusters of traits: extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism and openness to experience.

The idea behind the Big Five is that everyone’s personality has a little of all five trait groups. What the test does, essentially, is tell you where you fall on the spectrum of each of the clusters.

The Big Five, [Vazire] told me, has produced results that can be shown to remain largely consistent across a person’s lifespan and that can be used to predict at least some part of a person’s likely academic achievement, dating choices and even future parenting behavior. It has also been validated cross-culturally to some extent.

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    The full article is here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...one-that-isnt/

The gist of it is this:

The most popular — used by the vast majority of scientists who study personality — is called the Big Five, a system that organizes personality around five broad clusters of traits: extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism and openness to experience.

The idea behind the Big Five is that everyone’s personality has a little of all five trait groups. What the test does, essentially, is tell you where you fall on the spectrum of each of the clusters.

The Big Five, [Vazire] told me, has produced results that can be shown to remain largely consistent across a person’s lifespan and that can be used to predict at least some part of a person’s likely academic achievement, dating choices and even future parenting behavior. It has also been validated cross-culturally to some extent.
    Seems similar to the HEXACO profiler.
    _/\_

Thread Information