User Tag List

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 142122232425 LastLast
Results 346 to 360 of 364

Thread: Fast Personality Test

  1. #346
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,832
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 909 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ffreeloader View Post
    Are you trying to say an innkeeper sits and sighs and worries about people he has no reason to know exist? You're once again trying to create something that does not exist.

    It might or might not exist.

    On what basis do you claim that this does not exist?

    You (we) don't have enough information to make such an assessment.

    You're assuming this individual thinks like you do thus you project your particular interpretation of this scenario onto the innkeeper. (As opposed to empathizing with.)

    You've no grounds for doing so. You must broaden your palate...understand and examine how other's alternate (albeit alien to you) ways of emotionally experiencing a situation may differ from yours.
    Last edited by quip; November 19th, 2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Clarification

  2. #347
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 714 Times in 479 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    175161
    Quote Originally Posted by quip View Post
    It might or might not exist.

    On what basis do you claim that this does not exist?

    You (we) don't have enough information to make such an assessment.

    You're assuming this individual thinks like you do thus you project your particular interpretation of this scenario onto the innkeeper. (As opposed to empathizing with.)

    You've no grounds for doing so. You must broaden your palate...understand and examine how other's alternate (albeit alien to you) ways of emotionally experiencing a situation may differ from yours.
    It seems to me that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. That I can't see a hypothetical that you insist exists, but the scenario gave to no evidence for, means I cannot understand or empathize with an innkeeper. That is just plain old false. But, you'll see it as you desire.

  3. #348
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,832
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 909 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ffreeloader View Post
    It seems to me that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. That I can't see a hypothetical that you insist exists, but the scenario gave to no evidence for, means I cannot understand or empathize with an innkeeper. That is just plain old false. But, you'll see it as you desire.


    What doesn't exist that I keep insisting does exist.....the particular subjective experience of the innkeeper?

    Are you solipsistic?

  4. #349
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 714 Times in 479 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    175161
    Quote Originally Posted by quip View Post


    What doesn't exist that I keep insisting does exist.....the particular subjective experience of the innkeeper?

    Are you solipsistic?
    You keep on insisting that I need to empathize with the innkeeper. As this entire conversation has been about empathizing with those who are hurting your insistence that I empathize with somone to whom no harm was done, and has no reason for greiving in this scenario, is you insisting that something exists for which there is zero evidence. If anything, the innkeeper has reason to rejoice for his business is as successful as it is possible for it to be at this particular moment.

  5. #350
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,832
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 909 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ffreeloader View Post
    You keep on insisting that I need to empathize with the innkeeper. As this entire conversation has been about empathizing with those who are hurting your insistence that I empathize with somone to whom no harm was done, and has no reason for greiving in this scenario, is you insisting that something exists for which there is zero evidence. If anything, the innkeeper has reason to rejoice for his business is as successful as it is possible for it to be at this particular moment.
    How do you know that no harm was done? (From the innkeeper's POV)

    There is a whole spectrum of emotions this innkeeper can feel regarding this scenario.

    You seem to take a logical approach to the innkeeper's situation, though the innkeeper may approach the situation completely different than you...as each individual is unique.

    It's about possibilities not (what you project as to) what should exist or doesn't exist. Think of the innkeepers response to the situation as a variable, say X. You may sympathize with them logically and see that the innkeeper should not feel bad (because that's how you would view the situation.) But to empathize with him or her you need to understand the possibility of alternate responses. Accept that his or her X may drastically differ from your X.

  6. #351
    Over 2000 post club User Name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,312
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 504 Times in 356 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    238449

  7. #352
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,832
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 909 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

  8. #353
    Over 2000 post club User Name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,312
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 504 Times in 356 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    238449
    Quote Originally Posted by quip View Post
    What's so special about this one? (I took it BTW)
    The full article is here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...one-that-isnt/

    The gist of it is this:

    The most popular — used by the vast majority of scientists who study personality — is called the Big Five, a system that organizes personality around five broad clusters of traits: extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism and openness to experience.

    The idea behind the Big Five is that everyone’s personality has a little of all five trait groups. What the test does, essentially, is tell you where you fall on the spectrum of each of the clusters.

    The Big Five, [Vazire] told me, has produced results that can be shown to remain largely consistent across a person’s lifespan and that can be used to predict at least some part of a person’s likely academic achievement, dating choices and even future parenting behavior. It has also been validated cross-culturally to some extent.

  9. #354
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,832
    Thanks
    707
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 909 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    The full article is here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...one-that-isnt/

    The gist of it is this:

    The most popular — used by the vast majority of scientists who study personality — is called the Big Five, a system that organizes personality around five broad clusters of traits: extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism and openness to experience.

    The idea behind the Big Five is that everyone’s personality has a little of all five trait groups. What the test does, essentially, is tell you where you fall on the spectrum of each of the clusters.

    The Big Five, [Vazire] told me, has produced results that can be shown to remain largely consistent across a person’s lifespan and that can be used to predict at least some part of a person’s likely academic achievement, dating choices and even future parenting behavior. It has also been validated cross-culturally to some extent.
    Seems similar to the HEXACO profiler.

  10. #355
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13,698
    Thanks
    7,830
    Thanked 9,844 Times in 5,514 Posts

    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147750
    This one could be fun.

    This is an interactive version of the Right-wing Authoritarianism Scale.

    Introduction: Following World War II there was a significant amount of interest in what was termed the "authoritarian personality". Psychologists wanted to understand the psychologies of fascist regimes and their followers. This line of research produced the California F-scale (F for fascist) in 1947. The Right-wing Authoritarianism Scale was developed by Bob Altemeyer in 1981 as a revision of the F-scale that improved its statistical properties.

    Procedure: The test consists of twenty two opinions and for each you must indicate how much you agree with it. The test should take 3 - 5 minutes to complete.

    Participation: This test is provided for educational use only. It should not be used as psychological advice of any kind and comes without any guarantee of accuracy or fitness for any particular purpose. Also, your responses may be recorded and anonymously used for research or otherwise distributed.

    START

    Source:
    Altemeyer, Bob. Right-wing authoritarianism. University of Manitoba press, 1981.
    Altemeyer, Bob (2007). The Authoritarians. University of Manitoba.
    https://www.theauthoritarians.org
    Last edited by annabenedetti; June 8th, 2019 at 07:31 PM.

    Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    quip (June 17th, 2019),Town Heretic (June 8th, 2019)

  12. #356
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    10,259
    Thanks
    252
    Thanked 3,402 Times in 2,306 Posts

    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    417219
    Got a 24 on the authoritarian test. Somewhat surprised it was that high.
    This message is hidden because ...

  13. #357
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    21,124
    Thanks
    3,943
    Thanked 8,467 Times in 4,944 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147842
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    This one could be fun.

    This is an interactive version of the Right-wing Authoritarianism Scale.

    Introduction: Following World War II there was a significant amount of interest in what was termed the "authoritarian personality". Psychologists wanted to understand the psychologies of fascist regimes and their followers. This line of research produced the California F-scale (F for fascist) in 1947. The Right-wing Authoritarianism Scale was developed by Bob Altemeyer in 1981 as a revision of the F-scale that improved its statistical properties.

    Procedure: The test consists of twenty two opinions and for each you must indicate how much you agree with it. The test should take 3 - 5 minutes to complete.

    Participation: This test is provided for educational use only. It should not be used as psychological advice of any kind and comes without any guarantee of accuracy or fitness for any particular purpose. Also, your responses may be recorded and anonymously used for research or otherwise distributed.

    START

    Source:
    Altemeyer, Bob. Right-wing authoritarianism. University of Manitoba press, 1981.
    Altemeyer, Bob (2007). The Authoritarians. University of Manitoba.
    https://www.theauthoritarians.org
    For some reason I got a blank page that wouldn't load. Maybe it's the weather.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  14. #358
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13,698
    Thanks
    7,830
    Thanked 9,844 Times in 5,514 Posts

    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147750
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    For some reason I got a blank page that wouldn't load. Maybe it's the weather.
    I've had both wifi issues and trouble logging into TOL today, but the blank page is all on me, I'll go fix the link.

    It's fixed. Let me know what you get.

    Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Town Heretic (June 8th, 2019)

  16. #359
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    21,124
    Thanks
    3,943
    Thanked 8,467 Times in 4,944 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147842
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    I've had both wifi issues and trouble logging into TOL today, but the blank page is all on me, I'll go fix the link.

    It's fixed. Let me know what you get.
    24%, mostly over the wording of a few.

    Also, I went into extra innings where they asked me to respond to statements made for me by indicating if I agreed or disagreed across a range.

    One that stumped me went, "I see myself as anxious and easily upset."

    I had to wonder if I responded "Strongly Disagree," would I be arguing against myself?
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    annabenedetti (June 8th, 2019)

  18. #360
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13,698
    Thanks
    7,830
    Thanked 9,844 Times in 5,514 Posts

    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147750
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    24%, mostly over the wording of a few.

    Also, I went into extra innings where they asked me to respond to statements made for me by indicating if I agreed or disagreed across a range.

    One that stumped me went, "I see myself as anxious and easily upset."

    I had to wonder if I responded "Strongly Disagree," would I be arguing against myself?

    It's always the wording, but at least this Likert scale has a neutral option, which I'd rather have, although opinions vary. Plus I'm already aware of what happens if I consistently pick "very strongly" over "strongly," so I can't even be sure I'm not biasing myself when I take it even if I try to just go with the first natural response.

    Anyway. I took the test twice a few hours apart, the first time it was 15.15 IIRC, and the second time it was 20.45, and I think the difference was the second time I shifted to "strongly" from "very strongly" a couple times since I thought maybe I overreacted with a couple "very strongly disagree" based on personal animosity - and then a couple questions I answered with neutral because I didn't like the wording of the question, so I'm probably not the best test subject.

    Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Town Heretic (June 8th, 2019)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us