User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: "Christendom" Defined

  1. #1
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanks
    1,260
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,649 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    277393

    "Christendom" Defined

    Where in the N.T. is "Christendom" defined? Or is it?

    What is the Dispensational definition of "Christendom?"



    Nang
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  2. #2
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    16,068
    Thanks
    14,699
    Thanked 22,089 Times in 12,533 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147716
    Maybe you could give us a hint as to what you are talking about. I use the term in the pejorative sense when I talk about the majority view of mixed up "Churchianity".
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  3. #3
    Over 6000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    6,309
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 782 Posts

    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    304594
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang View Post
    Where in the N.T. is "Christendom" defined? Or is it?

    What is the Dispensational definition of "Christendom?"



    Nang

    Hi , and will you know what DIATHEKE/COVENANT means in Eph 2:12 and many will see and compare its meaning for today !

    dan p

  4. #4
    TOL Subscriber heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colossians 3:3 KJV
    Posts
    9,711
    Thanks
    5,775
    Thanked 9,906 Times in 6,053 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147734
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang View Post

    What is the Dispensational definition of "Christendom?"


    Christendom: dom, religious, but lost people who call themselves Christens that are in a denominational system of bondage courtesy of the mystery of iniquity that doth already work as a result of their believing not the word of truth and their failure or flat out refusal to rightly divide it

    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Maybe you could give us a hint as to what you are talking about. I use the term in the pejorative sense when I talk about the majority view of mixed up "Churchianity".
    Yep! That's it!
    2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

    Paul defines the word of truth as the gospel of your salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Ephesians 1:13 KJV). Now, study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed by rightly dividing it!

  5. #5
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanks
    1,260
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,649 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    277393
    Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post


    Christendom: dom, religious, but lost people who call themselves Christens that are in a denominational system of bondage courtesy of the mystery of iniquity that doth already work as a result of their believing not the word of truth and their failure or flat out refusal to rightly divide it

    Yep! That's it!


    Who and what was Jesus teaching about in Matthew 13:1-52?
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    7,277
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 822 Times in 713 Posts

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Everything within Christianity both orthodox and heretical.

  7. #7
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanks
    1,260
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,649 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    277393
    Quote Originally Posted by intojoy View Post
    Everything within Christianity both orthodox and heretical.
    So you believe Christ was teaching in Matthew 13, that the "Kingdom of Heaven" is both true and false?
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  8. #8
    LIFETIME MEMBER steko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    13,800
    Thanks
    29,632
    Thanked 22,287 Times in 12,165 Posts

    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147730
    When I hear the word 'Christendom' I think of the Augustinian concept of God's Kingdom being the present church on earth, which in Augustine's time was well on its way to becoming a merger of church and state. This gave rise first to a postmillennial view and then later when things weren't turnin' out so good, to an amillennial view.

    Also, when I hear the word 'Christendom', I think of all those lost souls who call themselves Christians who believe that Christianity all boils down to the Sermon on the Mount, and then try to use it for a Marxist social reform.

    There is one true Body of Christ and believers are baptized by one Spirit into the one Body. If one has not the Spirit of GOD, that one is none of His.

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    7,277
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 822 Times in 713 Posts

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang View Post
    So you believe Christ was teaching in Matthew 13, that the "Kingdom of Heaven" is both true and false?
    Is that a question?
    Jesus made a literal offer of the kingdom to Israel. A literal earthly kingdom.

  10. #10
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanks
    1,260
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,649 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    277393
    Quote Originally Posted by steko View Post
    When I hear the word 'Christendom' I think of the Augustinian concept of God's Kingdom being the present church on earth, which in Augustine's time was well on its way to becoming a merger of church and state. This gave rise first to a postmillennial view and then later when things weren't turnin' out so good, to an amillennial view.
    Did Augustine or the early church fathers, ever teach that the one church of Jesus Christ; described as the "Kingdom of Heaven" by Christ Himself, was only temporary and would eventually corrupt in its inherent wickedness?

    Such is Scofield's definition of "Christendom."

    Also, when I hear the word 'Christendom', I think of all those lost souls who call themselves Christians who believe that Christianity all boils down to the Sermon on the Mount, and then try to use it for a Marxist social reform.

    There is one true Body of Christ and believers are baptized by one Spirit into the one Body. If one has not the Spirit of GOD, that one is none of His.


    MADists have different ideas on this subject, due to the bad influence and commentaries of Darby, Scofield, Bullinger, et.al.
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    7,277
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 822 Times in 713 Posts

    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    The false doctrines within Christiandom are explained by the parables. Roman Catholicism, Greek Orthodox and Protestantism each have degrees of false doctrine.

  12. #12
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanks
    1,260
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,649 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    277393
    Quote Originally Posted by intojoy View Post
    Is that a question?
    You betcha!


    Jesus made a literal offer of the kingdom to Israel. A literal earthly kingdom.
    You believe the parables of Matthew 13, were an "offer" of the Kingdom of Heaven?

    To whom?

    And if literal and "earthly," why is the teaching about a kingdom of HEAVEN?"

    Upon what basis, do you see it being "offered" rather than being proclaimed, revealed, and taught?
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  13. #13
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanks
    1,260
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,649 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    277393
    Quote Originally Posted by intojoy View Post
    The false doctrines within Christiandom are explained by the parables. Roman Catholicism, Greek Orthodox and Protestantism each have degrees of false doctrine.
    O.K.

    If you say so, please explain how Matthew 13 describes all the above.
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  14. #14
    LIFETIME MEMBER steko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    13,800
    Thanks
    29,632
    Thanked 22,287 Times in 12,165 Posts

    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147730
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang View Post
    Did Augustine or the early church fathers, ever teach that the one church of Jesus Christ; described as the "Kingdom of Heaven" by Christ Himself, was only temporary and would eventually corrupt in its inherent wickedness?

    Such is Scofield's definition of "Christendom."





    MADists have different ideas on this subject, due to the bad influence and commentaries of Darby, Scofield, Bullinger, et.al.
    I'm not entirely Mad.

    I came to my understanding of scripture through much study and prayer over thirty-five years. Somewhere during the middle of that stretch, I found that others had arrived at a similar understanding and I found that to be labeled under the category of Dispensational.
    I arrived at my conclusions, not by studying prominent Dispensational teachers, but by simply reading the word with a literal, historical, grammatical hermeneutic. I reject the super-imposed allegorical hermeneutic of Origen>Augustine>Covenantalism. One definitely has to learn that from others and would never find it by simply reading the Bible literally.

  15. #15
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanks
    1,260
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,649 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    277393
    Quote Originally Posted by steko View Post
    I'm not entirely Mad.

    I came to my understanding of scripture through much study and prayer over thirty-five years. Somewhere during the middle of that stretch, I found that others had arrived at a similar understanding and I found that to be labeled under the category of Dispensational.
    I arrived at my conclusions, not by studying prominent Dispensational teachers, but by simply reading the word with a literal, historical, grammatical hermeneutic. I reject the super-imposed allegorical hermeneutic of Origen>Augustine>Covenantalism. One definitely has to learn that from others and would never find it by simply reading the Bible literally.
    Well, I came to the Covenantal view, by simply and repeatedly reading the Bible promises repeated from Genesis to Revelation.

    The emphasis of my OP is questioning the definition of "Christendom" and directed to MAD advocates.

    My OP has been viewed by almost 1100 souls, and how many MAD believers have answered?

    I would almost think 1100 views, to a direct question, in a specific Forum, garnering only a handful of responses, must be a TOL record of some sort.

    ???
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us