User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: James White Contradicts Himself on God the Son's Natures

  1. #16
    TOL Subscriber musterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22,202
    Thanks
    4,465
    Thanked 20,981 Times in 11,988 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147772
    This thread is weird.

  2. #17
    Patron Saint of SMACK Delmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,613
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 871 Times in 725 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    751543
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    As usual, you answer NOTHING. As usual, you just IGNORE everything in the Bible which contradict your preconceived ideas.

    Why don't you grow up?
    I think you were looking in the mirror.

  3. #18
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,725
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 8,729 Times in 5,725 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147838
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    I think you were looking in the mirror.
    I have answered every objection to my view on this subject so your assertion is baseless.

  4. #19
    Journeyman One Ugly Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    219
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    3553
    I think some of the confusion with the Scripture on this is because God was "flesh" before He was incarnated as Jesus. Genesis points out that Adam walked with God in the Garden and Abraham saw "three men" of which one he "recognized as the Lord." Notice the word "men" as in the Lord appeared as a man. There are several other examples like this in the Old Testament also. Whether Jesus/God time traveled back to those times in the body of Jesus or if he created a "temporary" body (or who knows--He's God and can do most anything), the fact remains that He did "occupy" a body before the time of the New Testament.

    However, it's beyond question that at some point Jesus the Son (the Word) BECAME FLESH (John 1). Last I looked, became meant became (and I checked with Bill Clinton on this to make sure

  5. #20
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,725
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 8,729 Times in 5,725 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147838
    Quote Originally Posted by One Ugly Christian View Post
    However, it's beyond question that at some point Jesus the Son (the Word) BECAME FLESH (John 1). Last I looked, became meant became (and I checked with Bill Clinton on this to make sure
    So?

    Is not the Lord Jesus now in the kingdom of God without a flesh and blood body?:

    "And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption" (1 Cor.15:49-50).

    That demonstrates that a flesh and blood body is nor essential to being a man. Here Paul speaks of the very essence of a man:

    "That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man" (Eph.3:16).

    In fact, Paul speaks of bodies as something with which we are clothed upon:

    "For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life" (2 Cor.5:1-4).

  6. #21
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,725
    Thanks
    1,182
    Thanked 13,385 Times in 10,249 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147886
    Quote Originally Posted by One Ugly Christian View Post
    Last I looked, became meant became (and I checked with Bill Clinton on this to make sure


  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    LoneStar (April 23rd, 2016),Tambora (April 23rd, 2016)

  8. #22
    Over 500 post club revpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Wales UK
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    25082

    James White Contradicts Himself on God the Son's Natures

    This thread is a complete waste of time. You are basing your entire argument on one verse (Jn. 6:62) which you have misunderstood in a way that I have never seen before 😹

    Pete👤

  9. #23
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,886
    Thanks
    1,251
    Thanked 2,287 Times in 1,644 Posts

    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    277390
    Quote Originally Posted by revpete View Post
    This thread is a complete waste of time. You are basing your entire argument on one verse (Jn. 6:62) which you have misunderstood in a way that I have never seen before 😹

    Pete👤
    This thread is premised on the faulty and poor "theology" of Open Theism.

    Such goes nowhere . . .
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  10. #24
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,725
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 8,729 Times in 5,725 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147838
    Quote Originally Posted by revpete View Post
    This thread is a complete waste of time. You are basing your entire argument on one verse (Jn. 6:62) which you have misunderstood in a way that I have never seen before.
    Then tell me exactly how I misrepresented what is said here:

    "What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?" (Jn.6:62).

    Here the pronoun "he" must refer to "the Son of Man" so before He came to earth He was in heaven as the Son of Man. You are unable to explain why the Lord Jesus would say such a thing if He wasn't Man before He came to the earth.

    We can also see the same teaching here:

    "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven" (Jn.3:13).

    The Lord Jesus came down from heaven as the Son of Man.

    So tell me exactly how I misrepresented what is said in those two verses.

  11. #25
    TOL Subscriber musterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22,202
    Thanks
    4,465
    Thanked 20,981 Times in 11,988 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147772
    You misrepresented nothing and he knows it.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

    [most will be very surprised]


    Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

  12. #26
    TOL Subscriber Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,886
    Thanks
    1,251
    Thanked 2,287 Times in 1,644 Posts

    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    277390
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Then tell me exactly how I misrepresented what is said here:

    "What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?" (Jn.6:62).

    Here the pronoun "he" must refer to "the Son of Man" so before He came to earth He was in heaven as the Son of Man. You are unable to explain why the Lord Jesus would say such a thing if He wasn't Man before He came to the earth.

    We can also see the same teaching here:

    "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven" (Jn.3:13).

    The Lord Jesus came down from heaven as the Son of Man.

    So tell me exactly how I misrepresented what is said in those two verses.

    Jesus Christ descended from heaven and assumed humanity, when He was conceived in the womb of Mary by the Holy Spirit.

    It is theologically dangerous to skip the fact that He was born into this world as a Babe, and grew in wisdom, prior to His ministry as the Son of Man.
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  13. #27
    Over 500 post club revpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Wales UK
    Posts
    585
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    25082

    James White Contradicts Himself on God the Son's Natures

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    Then tell me exactly how I misrepresented what is said here:



    "What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?" (Jn.6:62).



    Here the pronoun "he" must refer to "the Son of Man" so before He came to earth He was in heaven as the Son of Man. You are unable to explain why the Lord Jesus would say such a thing if He wasn't Man before He came to the earth.



    We can also see the same teaching here:



    "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven" (Jn.3:13).



    The Lord Jesus came down from heaven as the Son of Man.



    So tell me exactly how I misrepresented what is said in those two verses.

    I apologise, think I mixed up my posts. But as been as you bring it up I do have a question. You are correct I believe when you say the pronoun "He" must refer to The Son of man. However, The Lord, I believe was speaking of Himself in His then present incarnation. If He was man in heaven how could God become man in the incarnation if He was already man in heaven before He came to earth?

    In the second verse you quote (Jn.3:13). I believe The Lord is describing His mindset, He dwells in heaven because He had an unbroken relationship/fellowship with His Father. Just as it is true that every true believer is seated together with Him in heavenly places far above etc... Even though we still dwell on the earth in this natural realm. I wish I could explain that more eloquently.

    I do think I mixed up my posts though 😳

    Blessings: Pete 👤

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us