User Tag List

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omnibox: all things television

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,809 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Saw those and they had good reviews. Went with an amplified Flatwave HD antenna by Winegard. It came today, hooked it up and turned on the channel search. Ended with 25 channels. Eliminated several non HD and a couple of Spanish channels, plus a couple of fleece the sheep religious channels and one QVC wanna be.

If anything the locals and PBS are even sharper...and free. I'm calling Dish to tell them to terminate service at the end of this billing. Then I'm ordering the Roku 2 and when it comes in adding Netflix and Hulu P.

By the 6th of next month I'll be watching HD tv for a grand total of sixteen dollars a month.
    Wonderful!

I recently had to move my antenna a mere seven inches to the left from its position near the ceiling to get best reception of CBS which kept pixelating during prime time. Could have saved myself some Amazon Prime Video fees for some CBS episodes had I not been so lazy.

I also noted that the direct HD channels are clearer than the ones bundled up on a cable or satellite delivery system. The channelization used by these systems forces some sacrifice of full bandwidths of the broadcast signal to get "50 gallons of water in a 40 gallon bucket".

AMR
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.

Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't seen that one, though I believe it's on Netflix and if so I'll rectify that before long. Did you see the Exodus movie?
    I have not yet, no

Thanks
    Thanked 6,353 Times in 3,729 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Wonderful!

I recently had to move my antenna a mere seven inches to the left from its position near the ceiling to get best reception of CBS which kept pixelating during prime time. Could have saved myself some Amazon Prime Video fees for some CBS episodes had I not been so lazy.

I also noted that the direct HD channels are clearer than the ones bundled up on a cable or satellite delivery system. The channelization used by these systems forces some sacrifice of full bandwidths of the broadcast signal to get "50 gallons of water in a 40 gallon bucket".

AMR
    Ah, so I'm not crazy...well, not for that reason at any rate. I'd told the wife it seemed to me that the local channels were actually sharper than with the sat...makes sense. Have to make the call today for the cut off tomorrow. It will be a little irksome for a few days because we're holding the Roku order until the next billing cycle, but I'm really excited about cutting the cord with middle men. It's a shame they didn't do an a la carte. I'd have paid them twenty or twenty five for what I actually watch. Locals, espn and TCM, my wife with CNN in the morning. But I've watched most of the classics I meant to and can wait out the inevitable shift. If they don't take care of that it's only a matter of time before they and Directv and other providers are the next Blockbuster store on the corner.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Have to admit I'm enjoying Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee series. I ran across it online, so it's not exactly a tv bit (though it may be on tv, I don't know).

I have a great twenty something Samsung monitor that gives me an HD picture and I watched a few of the episodes (usually between eleven and twenty minutes in length) and enjoyed the heck out of it, which surprised me since I don't care for Seinfeld as a comedian, never liked the show and find his attitude about people disappointing (he mostly doesn't care for what they have to say) but both he and the presentation in this are very entertaining.

His bit with Alec Baldwin, whom I normally wouldn't be interested in hearing from outside of a role, made me like both of them a bit more and the episode with Letterman, driving a Volvo with a racing engine gifted by Paul Newman, felt like being the quiet friend listening in on a good conversation. That's really the vantage and charm in most of what I've seen so far and I recommend it.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The Roku is up and Netlix is streaming. Locals are looking great in free HD and I'm wishing I'd dropped my sat company a year ago.

Pro-Life

Thanks
    Thanked 5,758 Times in 4,088 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Programming, Technology and more...

What's on my HD DVR subscribe list at present:

Elementary, Longmire, Justified, Percpetion, The Mentalist, Archer, The Blacklist, Doctor Who, Person of Interest, The Strain, Welcome to Sweden.
    Do you mean DVD, I like Blu-ray. I never heard of any of those movies?
    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    Christian theology isn't to be in Christ.

So, what?

believe it!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The Roku is up and Netlix is streaming. Locals are looking great in free HD and I'm wishing I'd dropped my sat company a year ago.
    Nice!

I had the same regrets.
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.

AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    Why?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    Do you mean DVD, I like Blu-ray. I never heard of any of those movies?
    No, all shows recorded by my old dvr in HD. I've left that behind now for better, less expensive venues. I have my Winegard HD antenna pulling in crystal clear local channels and I have my Roku streaming Netflix and Youtube and the Smithsonian and Hulu Plus and a lot more into my living room for less than twenty dollars a month (Net and Hulu cost nine and eight dollars, respectively, with Netflix being higher because I wanted the larger HD content).

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Nice!

I had the same regrets.
    Amazing. I took advantage of the free first month of Netlfix and Hulu Plus and even with the cost of the antenna and Roku 2 I'm only about eleven dollars more in the hole this month and seventy two to the good each month thereafter while having a lot more content that interests me.

Really amazing. Just finished watching Odd Thomas. Have a number of movies and series I want to look through. Couldn't be happier with the choice or the savings. I think it's only a matter of time before Direct and Dish and the cable boys end up like the Blockbuster store that was, unless they learn fast and start offering a la carte, which they don't appear to have the vision to do.

Pro-Life

Thanks
    Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,104 Posts

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Anyone else thinking about that sort of thing or have experience with it they'd like to share?
    It took me awhile to convince my family that we could be happy with Netflix, Hulu, and an aerial antennae.

So, I made them a deal: Try it for one month, and if you don't like it, I'll change it back. We set up originally with Netflix, then Hulu on a trial basis. We were watching enough regular television and Netflix, that we let the Hulu subscription slide. That was a year and a half ago.

Shows I/we like:

Blue Bloods - life of a strong Catholic/cop family. The time given to God and prayer is very appealing to me.

Psych - Quirky cop show with good use of humor and friendship

Everybody Loves Raymond - At times it crosses the line for me, but I appreciate the family values. It reminds me of Home Improvement which I also watched a lot of. I tend to like well done family sitcoms.

Twilight Zone - This is perhaps the series I'd want if I could only have one because it was different every episode. It usually upheld and taught about morality and a lot of Christian values. It was creative, human-interest, and had an as sundry of memorable actors and characters.

I like family shows quite a bit as well, including reruns:

Dick Van Dyke Show

Andy Griffith Etc.

The Christian programming is good too:

Ken Davis series

Thou Shalt Laugh series

The Apostles of Comedy

And a dramatic war series called Saints and Soldiers

The cost per month leaving cable and satellite is about $50 a month that includes internet and phone (we were over $120 a month with Dish and higher with cable). It is really a lot better than paying for that overpriced premium package. I don't get some of the shows the rest of you get, but haven't really missed them. It is cheaper to buy a series than to pay that extra $70-110 more a month or use that thousand or so, someplace else. It has been a great switch for us.
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

On the Roku get this (one time $4 fee) to make searching and adding content to your Netflix to be watched profile much easier:

http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/instant-watch-browser

Also, Netflix has run Geek programming fests to improve its algorithms that suggest content based upon viewing habits. The algorithms used weight heavily your own rankings of movies, so spend time tweaking your ratings of movies ( http://www.netflix.com/RateMovies ) to improve what Netflix serves up as suggestions for future viewings. I have rated around 3,000 movies so I usually like what Netflix suggests. So when you are bored out of your mind, just go to the ratings link above and click away and soon you will see better recommendations.

AMR
    Last edited by Ask Mr. Religion; June 10th, 2015 at 01:18 AM.

AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    Why?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    It took me awhile to convince my family that we could be happy with Netflix, Hulu, and an aerial antennae.

So, I made them a deal: Try it for one month, and if you don't like it, I'll change it back. We set up originally with Netflix, then Hulu on a trial basis. We were watching enough regular television and Netflix, that we let the Hulu subscription slide. That was a year and a half ago.
    Hulu is for the wife since the Mindy Project will be moving to it. I didn't see much there that really grabbed my interest. Netlfix is amazing and I like the Smithonian channel, have my heart radio going when I'm writing. Just scratching the surface at this point.

The cost per month leaving cable and satellite is about $50 a month that includes internet and phone (we were over $120 a month with Dish and higher with cable). It is really a lot better than paying for that overpriced premium package. I don't get some of the shows the rest of you get, but haven't really missed them. It is cheaper to buy a series than to pay that extra $70-110 more a month or use that thousand or so, someplace else. It has been a great switch for us.
    We were trying to trim expenses and here's how it played out. The indoor HD antenna ran about fifty. The Ruko 2 only set us back about the same because of a Prime discount. We have HS internet so that's an ongoing. Dish ran close to ninety a month. So we lose ten dollars the first month. Month two is a free preview month for both subscriptions and every other channel I've subscribed us to is free. So that takes care of he ten dollars and saves us nearly eighty. From there on it's about seventeen dollars for the two subscriptions instead of the old near ninety.

Pretty good deal. So we could tack on a couple of paid channels for the fun of it and content if we ever want it (like for ESPN or maybe the BBC stuff) and still not come near half the expense we carried prior.

We're very happy.

Pro-Life

Thanks
    Thanked 5,758 Times in 4,088 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, all shows recorded by my old dvr in HD. I've left that behind now for better, less expensive venues. I have my Winegard HD antenna pulling in crystal clear local channels and I have my Roku streaming Netflix and Youtube and the Smithsonian and Hulu Plus and a lot more into my living room for less than twenty dollars a month (Net and Hulu cost nine and eight dollars, respectively, with Netflix being higher because I wanted the larger HD content).

Oh I see now.
    Most of the little bu-ray players will stream Netflix, and more. Some use wyfi and some use the Ethernet cable, and some have both.
    Oppo BDP-103D Darbee Edition is one of the best players, but not cheap, nor is the 105D
    A little Sansung 5100 has netflix and hulu; their top 7500 has 4K , 7.1 and 2 HDMI, a lot less than Oppo

I had the mail form of Netflix, some years back

I had the Sony ,(?) model, a silver unit which had problems after TV guide menus stopped. They are free, no monthly fee, but are a pain without cable.

I have not had cable in , oh I can't remember when?

I find is easier to buy Blu-rays
    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    Christian theology isn't to be in Christ.

So, what?

believe it!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Watched the first few episodes of Daredevil on Netflix. Took until the second before I was on board. The fight scene at the end to save a kidnapped little boy was one of the best I've seen. Not flashy and ridiculous...brutal and tired and perfect.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The BBC can really nail a series and I love the way they don't over produce a thing that's popular. Just so with Luther, the tale of a brilliant, troubled, honorable man up to his elbows in the worst criminal filth of London.

Idris Elba's turn as the detective/protagonist is by itself worth the price of admission, but he's far from the only thing this series has going for it. Ruth Wilson, as the psychopath who can't resist Luther's gravitas, the goodness and complexity drawing her back to salvage and save him...a couple of interesting bosses, with the latest being a perfectly troubled sort of father figure, and, of course, the naive young up and comer struggling to reconcile what John does with the inarguable good he accomplishes.

And this is a show that won't shy from taking surprising corners (and the odd character you've grown fond of) for the sake of the narrative.

Highly recommended.

Pro-Life

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,264 Posts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Humans".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4122068/?ref_=nv_sr_1

IMO one of the best series (so far at least) that I've seen over the last few years. An intelligent, thoughtful take on the 'Artificial Intelligence' phenomenon that immerses and involves with the characters involved. Based on a venerated Swedish series but handles well in its own right. The balance of drama, tension, ethics, quandaries, action etc has been first rate along with the performances of all involved. I wish TV would offer a lot more like this as 'standard viewing' instead of having to hang about for something decent to come along...

IMNSHO of course...

Well this is fun isn't it?

Thread Information