Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omnibox: all things television

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Hadn't heard of it and I had Pivot turned off because I only enable HD programming. I know that it's in HD on On Demand for at least a few episodes.
    All that HD talk, you sound like the guys in my family.
    Don't want to scare you but I don't think we got any of the episodes in HD.
    The film itself is not high grade - try not to scream or curse when you see it.
    We did and do have trouble making things out - lots of backing up and pausing, sigh.
    Yet we are still hanging in there even when we've pressed on time and again admitting we had no idea what they just showed us..
    Not sure if Dish will have all of them. I have everything but episode 2 and 6 through the first ten episodes. For some strange reason Pivot has omitted them so far in rebroadcast. I'll probably suffer through a non HD presentation of the pilot to see what I think about it and go from there.
    When the pilot first aired it was a double whammy of it and the second episode together - so maybe look for that.

I'm cautious with new shows. I've had too many axed that I was enjoying (see: Lie to Me).
    Yes, we watched and lost that and others.

Saw that. Good way to become familiar with the players.
    Maybe.. or they will be about something else...my lips are sealed.

It's recording and I've watched the first two, but I have a feeling it's going to lean heavily into the "nutter religious fanatics attempt to bring about the end of the world" with the heroic characters being outside the faith. Maybe they'll surprise me. So far...
    Yes, sigh, but I just have to subject myself to it.
    I've kept the Mentalist finale.

yessireebob

Thanks
    Thanked 6,353 Times in 3,729 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rainee View Post
    All that HD talk, you sound like the guys in my family.
    Don't want to scare you but I don't think we got any of the episodes in HD.
    My tv will upscale it to some extent, but it's limited. As is my patience for non HD programming.

The film itself is not high grade - try not to scream or curse when you see it. We did and do have trouble making things out - lots of backing up and pausing, sigh. Yet we are still hanging in there even when we've pressed on time and again admitting we had no idea what they just showed us.
    So it's like Meshak tv.

When the pilot first aired it was a double whammy of it and the second episode together - so maybe look for that.
    As I said, I only lack two episodes out of the first ten.

Yes, sigh, but I just have to subject myself to it.
    Do what you gotta do.

yessireebob
    One of the better endings to a series of late. The last one that felt that satisfying for me was probably...Everybody Loves Raymond, but I may be passing over a few I've simply forgotten.

That would be a good subtopic...best series ending.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Justified's season finale was satisfying, if not in the traditional wild west sense. There was a climatic gun battle between Givens and the younger version of the man he might have been with a different nudge, but it couldn't involve us the way a long standing character like Boyd would have in the same circumstances. And I have to admit to not liking the way the writers turned Boyd into a much less sympathetic character in the last season, including his late killing of a man who wasn't a part of the outlaw cast and had, in fact, had only helped him.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Has anyone else been watching AD? A very different take on Pilot and a lot of curious gap filling going on...didn't care for the fellow plaing Jesus, but I like the actor portraying Peter and I'm intrigued by the treatment of Saul.

Doesn't look like it's going to be another Noah.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm tired of locking into two year deals to get over priced television...thinking seriously about trying the Fire Stick in concert with Sling. Anyone done that? I could get what I'm interested in with Sling for twenty bucks. Twenty five if I add a kids' package for Jack, plus another eight bucks for Hulu Plus, could even add Netflix and be at less than half of what I'm paying Dish or would pay Directv.

I'll add an indoor HD antenna to pick up the local channels. All I'll lose is the DVR and, honestly, I can live without that if I have to. Saving fifty or better a month is more appealing. And I'm a bit off Dish anyway. Enjoyed it until the bill kept creeping up and then the DVR, which had performed better than my last Directv unit, died short of the two year window and right before Spring Break, with all the programming we'd saved up for it too...and then they charged me shipping on the defective unit replacement while doing nothing to compensate me for the inconvenience, lost programming and the four or five days I paid for but couldn't use their service.

I got them to wave the shipping ultimately, but it left enough of a sour taste to finally get around to considering my alternatives.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to miss imus
    a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,214 Times in 10,099 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like not having DVR. With my schedule I need to be able to record my shows.

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,809 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I tried Sling with my Roku for two days of the seven day free trial, but did not like not being able to record the content.

Over the air HD TV on my TiVo DVR works for me now for the past three years. Comes with built in Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netfix apps (and more) to access those services if a person subscribes to them for on-demand streaming. Also have a Roku 3 with much more app content than does my TiVo. The Roku seems to be more responsive with streaming video than my TiVo. Then again, I do not have one of the newer TiVo over-the-air models.

AMR
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.

Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The over the air TiVo model with no cable TV card option runs for about $50 with an integrated WiFi transceiver and a monthly $15 fee for the TiVo TV lineup menus and other software features. Not bad for a DVR and over the air services, that also include the usual streaming services one may subscribe to.

The same model with cableTV card options is four times that amount with an additional option to bypass the monthly fee with a one time $500 payment good for the lifetime of the TiVo unit. So, after around 34 months you are breaking even and getting things for free....assuming the TiVo unit does not fail or fail after only a few months.

AMR
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.

AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    Why?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    The over the air TiVo model with no cable TV card option runs for about $50 with an integrated WiFi transceiver and a monthly $15 fee for the TiVo TV lineup menus and other software features. Not bad for a DVR and over the air services, that also include the usual streaming services one may subscribe to.

The same model with cableTV card options is four times that amount with an additional option to bypass the monthly fee with a one time $500 payment good for the lifetime of the TiVo unit. So, after around 34 months you are breaking even and getting things for free....assuming the TiVo unit does not fail or fail after only a few months.

AMR
    We're looking at the Roku 2. My thinking is that it would mostly be for streaming services, like Netflix and Hulu Plus, meaning the DVR option wouldn't really matter for us. And the regular, network television we'll catch on a HD indoor antenna and/or bring up at network sites. For instance, weather killed the season finale for New Girl so I went to the show site on Fox and we watched the episode (with nominal commercial length, comparatively) online using my Samsung monitor.

We have the most popular Dish dvr package. It's under what you'd pay with Directv or comparable cable. We can get an indoor HD antenna for local programming, buy a Roku unit and subscribe to Netflix and Hulu Plus and absorb the cost and be into savings by month two. Thereafter it would be around 70 a month under, meaning that if the Roku broke every year it would still be several hundred dollars less expensive than Dish and the other pirates, I mean providers.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think you will be quite happy with the Roku.

For over the air performance see here for your local area.

My indoor antenna:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Ampl.../dp/B00APPDX86

AMR

AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    Why?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    I think you will be quite happy with the Roku.

For over the air performance see here for your local area.

My indoor antenna:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Ampl.../dp/B00APPDX86

AMR
    Saw those and they had good reviews. Went with an amplified Flatwave HD antenna by Winegard. It came today, hooked it up and turned on the channel search. Ended with 25 channels. Eliminated several non HD and a couple of Spanish channels, plus a couple of fleece the sheep religious channels and one QVC wanna be.

If anything the locals and PBS are even sharper...and free. I'm calling Dish to tell them to terminate service at the end of this billing. Then I'm ordering the Roku 2 and when it comes in adding Netflix and Hulu P.

By the 6th of next month I'll be watching HD tv for a grand total of sixteen dollars a month.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Is anyone else watching the Alamo revisit Texas Rising series on the History channel? It's been interesting television, despite interjecting whole cloth speculation as a part of the revisit, along with some distortions...like Santa Anna being almost indifferent and undecided about whether or not to spare the women and children of the Alamo. The fact is he actually offered to see to the education of one of those children and there's no reason to suspect he was the sociopathic near sadist the program makes him out to be. He was brutal and violated the proper treatment of prisoners, justifying it by declaring them terrorists, in essence, but he wasn't by any indication a man who killed for the sake of killing.

At nearly every possible moment the scripting makes simplistic villains of the Mexican army and that's unfortunate.

Take Mexican Lt. Col. José Nicolás de la Portilla's actions at Goliad, where prisoners were executed by firing squad. Portilla was deeply troubled by the act and there's even evidence that he released some of the men before he was given the direct order to shoot those he had. So no, he didn't rob the Texan commander and shoot him in the face from horseback while sneering. There are flashes of that across the series, along with goofery, even compelling goofery, like the mad survivor of the Alamo played by Ray Liota or an expansion of the whisper thin legend of the Yellow Rose.

There's also a lot of good acting and interesting characters to go around. While I had to get accustomed to Paxton as Houston, after seeing Dennis Quaid's more firely and vital portrayal in the failed movie Alamo, he does a serviceable job in the main role, while being upstaged by Jeffery Morgan's Deaf Smith, role model for the Texas Rangers and by the entertaining, villainous turn by Olivier Martinez as Santa Anna. A lot of terrific casting in this. Even Brandon Fraser manages an interesting add in as a mixed blood Indian-Ranger. Great, surprising cast.

If you can overlook the simplistic and inventive treatment the rest will pull you along with a Lonesome Dove reminiscent narrative feel, though one that reduces the lush green of farm lands where most of it occurred to the more familiar (to tv watchers and folks who don't know the topography) stark, near desert landscape of the traditional old west lore.

Pro-Life

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone else been watching AD? A very different take on Pilot and a lot of curious gap filling going on...didn't care for the fellow plaing Jesus, but I like the actor portraying Peter and I'm intrigued by the treatment of Saul.

Doesn't look like it's going to be another Noah.
    I've enjoyed it. The original Bible miniseries was far better, though

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kdall View Post
    I've enjoyed it. The original Bible miniseries was far better, though
    Haven't seen that one, though I believe it's on Netflix and if so I'll rectify that before long. Did you see the Exodus movie?

Pro-Life

Thread Information