Gotham
    Doctor Who
    The Mindy Project
    Person of Interest
    Madam Secretary
    Elementary
    The Strain
    Hell on Wheels
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sherlock is really good !!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,308 Times in 3,701 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uberpod1 View Post
    Sherlock is really good !!
    Funny thing is that I wasn't grabbed by it at first, watched a bit of the pilot and shrugged it off. Then BBC American picked it up to run from the beginning again this year and I had a completely different response.

You just never know. On your list...I don't go in for the darker bits, like Horror. And I'm a little concerned with the turn Hannibal took late. It was right on the edge for me and may be tipping over. Some shows have a caveat. Dexter up until the bathtub death of the Mrs. was interesting...partly because I'd written a short story in high school that I always meant to turn into a novel about a serial killer who hunts serial killers. The working title was Kingsnake. The inspiration drawn from that very reptile. Ah, well.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

So the next rounds of original programming are beginning...

Looking forward to the final season of Justified. Hope they don't kill off anyone I like. Sorry to see the series end but I'd rather they did that then limp along for ten years or more until the only reason most people are watching is habit.

Person of Interest has continued to carefully explore the original concept in a way that's more interesting than not, though the seemingly obligatory gay side bar romantic angle is as unnecessary as it is convoluted. Not sure how long the sub rosa battle of super machines can go on before it's more irksome than interesting.

Secretary of State...didn't know if I'd like it, thought I probably wouldn't, but I was wrong. It's managed to avoid a peculiar "what if the President was involved in a murder" opening gambit to emerge as a sort of West Wing lite. Which isn't all together bad and is more interestingly written than most of its competition. Real promise here.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is officially the smartest comedy running. It's not high brow, but it's clever and the casting is perfect and it feels fresh, the way Big Bang did about two or three seasons ago.

Gotham has returned and somehow managing to be interesting enough that I've stopped wondering how you make a Batman centered universe work before Batman.

The Black List will be back shortly and that's good news. Spader plays the role with just the right balance of pathos, humor and cold blooded vigor.

New Girl has enough of a heart to keep pumping blood, but it's fading. The Mindy Project, on the other hand, just keeps gathering steam. Really good little show with a great core and loads of comedic chemistry between the two leads.

Elementary may not be up to Sherlock, but it's close enough and well enough acted to enjoy the effort.

And that's about it for now...

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Watched a bit of the Golden Globes, mostly to hear Fey and Poehler take their shots. A fairly funny intro. I recorded it and haven't gone back for much of the awards, not being familiar with many of the films nominated and not really caring about tv awards. I'll likely fast forward for the humor later.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Watched a bit of the Golden Globes, mostly to hear Fey and Poehler take their shots. A fairly funny intro. I recorded it and haven't gone back for much of the awards, not being familiar with many of the films nominated and not really caring about tv awards. I'll likely fast forward for the humor later.
    I'd like to just say, that was a classic moment in TV. I know... the whole innocent until proven guilty principle but come on........ I would be shocked if Cosby is innocent and that was some good impressions there. Poehler's being superior. Maybe a little early to do that considering........ nah.

I was watching to see fellow Kentuckian Clooney be honored.... but yea. I also liked seeing greatest actor in his generation Kevin Spacey get an award.... come on..... you know it's true!!
    I'm not a sinner, or preacher, all I have is slight of hand.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

So in the past we had an American Idol thread. More than a few who took part in that have wandered off or are infrequent posters but I have to admit that the prelims have fielded some fairly interesting talent and I enjoy the repartee between Harry and Keith a little more than the Blake/Adam back and forth on the Voice.

Also, has the Voice managed to produce anyone who is being produced by anyone?

Pro-Life

Thanks
    Thanked 38,352 Times in 23,856 Posts

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am on antenna.
    They have been rerunning episodes of an old TV series called Evening Shade.
    It stars:
    Burt Reynolds
    Marilou Henner
    Ozzie Davis
    Michael Jeter
    Charles Durning

It was one of my favorite shows back in the day.

God Bless America

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    I am on antenna.
    They have been rerunning episodes of an old TV series called Evening Shade.
    It stars:
    Burt Reynolds
    Marilou Henner
    Ozzie Davis
    Michael Jeter
    Charles Durning

It was one of my favorite shows back in the day.
    MY parents loved that one. Strange story. It struggled the first year to find an audience, then by the end of that year was doing fine and went from 32 in ranking to 15th in year two, then fell a little in year three, but still found itself in the top twenty at 19, But year four continued the tumble to 27th and that, as they say, was that.

Reminds me of Greatest Hero in terms of dramatic falls, though Hero is the ultimate comet like tale of a show doomed by erratic scheduling and a novelty that wore off in a hurry. It began with an inaugural ranking of 13th, then in season two it fell dramatically to 35th and by its third and last season had bounced to 65th. I don't know if any show in the top twenty ever descended into irrelevance that fast.

I remember somewhere in season two thinking, "Seriously, how long can it take him to learn how to fly?"

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

So this got me thinking about popularity arcs in television. During the 80s it seemed that with rare exception a show had a viable life of around five or six years, with the last couple of years descending markedly.

Then I wondered how well the long running and much beloved series did in their day and started thinking of some of the more heralded of the lot.

Cheers: spawned the immensely popular Frazier series and the careers of a few tv and limited film favorites. It began it's first year (82) with a forgettable 74th out of 77 show ranking, climbing to 32nd in its second year and cusp of ratings gold 12th by season three. After that an amazing run. For the next 8 years it ranked in and never fell out of the top ten rated programs.

Here are the rankings in order from season three to eleven: 5, 3, 3, 4, 3, 1, 4, 8.

Remarkable to see that sort of popularity and even more impressive to think its most popular season came nine years in.

To give you a sense of just how remarkable that really is, the much heralded and classic Mary Tyler Moore Show ran for seven seasons, from 70-77. Here are its Neilsen ranking in chronological order: 22, 10, 7, 9, 11, 19, 39.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The Beverly Hillbillies: series ran from 62 to 71, but as with so many, it's strongest stretch was around a five year window.

Nine season ranking in order: 1, 1, 12, 7, 7, 12, 10, 18, before dropping out of the top 30 in its final year.

All in the Family: also ran for nine seasons. For some reason the first season's rankings aren't available, but the next eight run impressively enough with season two through six in 1st place. In fact, it was only out of the top ten once, it's next to last season when it placed 12th before bouncing back to finish with a 9th place showing in its final year. That's a rarity, going out on top (not counting Archie's Place, of course).

The Cosby Show: another ratings marvel. In nine seasons it placed 1st five times and was only out of the top five once, in the final season when it dropped to 18th.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

My hit list of late:

The Mentalist closed out nicely with a Job like restoration for the central character.

Castle had a great two parter that left last year's dangling serial killer frustration settled definitively.

The Big Bang Theory found an appropriately sentimental gesture for the passing of the unseen, but oft heard mother figure of the show. Sudden, understated and tastefully done.

The New Girl continues to lose relevance while The Mindy Project may have the best comedic ensemble and writing since 40 Rock...okay, outside of Nine Nine, which is also a very well crafted show.

Justified is nearly done and much of the humor that set the violence at angle has left with the passing of the founder of the feast, yet the acting and plot arc can't help but hold interest as we feel the whole of it gaining speed toward the inevitable end game for Boyd Crowder and Raylan Givens.

MTF...

Pro-Life

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 3,205 Posts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The first episode of 'The Walking Dead V' after the season break was very deftly done IMO and had a lot of depth to it and undercurrent. Surprising in more ways than one...
    Well this is fun isn't it?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,234 Times in 11,338 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    My hit list of late:

The Mentalist closed out nicely with a Job like restoration for the central character.

Castle had a great two parter that left last year's dangling serial killer frustration settled definitively.

The Big Bang Theory found an appropriately sentimental gesture for the passing of the unseen, but oft heard mother figure of the show. Sudden, understated and tastefully done.

The New Girl continues to lose relevance while The Mindy Project may have the best comedic ensemble and writing since 40 Rock...okay, outside of Nine Nine, which is also a very well crafted show.

Justified is nearly done and much of the humor that set the violence at angle has left with the passing of the founder of the feast, yet the acting and plot arc can't help but hold interest as we feel the whole of it gaining speed toward the inevitable end game for Boyd Crowder and Raylan Givens.

MTF...
    i like Justified quite a bit, and The Blacklist. obviously, The Mentalist
    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -

Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -

Thread Information