Nobody is free when others are oppressed Rusha's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,603 Times in 2,059 Posts

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    I wonder how many of you out there are Dish or Directv or cable subscribers and how that breaks down. I know some of you may be over the air and Netflix or Hulu folks. I'm considering my options in the coming year.

I was with Directv for a long while, but the quality kept declining as the price continued to rise. I've been with Dish a little over a year and have to say their DVR and pricing leaves Direct in the rear view, but I'm considering buying my own Tivo and using over the air and subscription to augment, given it appears I can get just about everything I'm getting now and for considerably less outlay, except for the start up.

Anyone else thinking about that sort of thing or have experience with it they'd like to share?
    I got annoyed with my cable company close to four years ago, so I cancelled my internet and cable with them and signed up with Dish. I liked their service okay with the exception of their the DVR. Also, I was able to purchase individual channels for $2.00 that were not included in my package.

I went to Direct TV with a bundle package that included phone and internet. I love the ease of the DVR though I don't care for the guide as much. So far, I am planning to keep Direct TV when my contract expires (and the DSL internet) though I may ditch the phone service.
    Before mass leaders seize the power to fit reality to their lies,
    their propaganda is marked by its extreme contempt for facts as such,
    for in their opinion fact depends entirely on the power of man who can fabricate it.
    Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Selaphiel View Post
    True Detective was fantastic.
    Yeah it was really great. Eight episodes, short, sweet and to the point; with stellar performances all around and a beautiful cinematography. One of the highlights for me technically speaking was the long tracking shot they did at the ending of the fourth episode. They went all Alfonso Cuaron there.

Looking forward to what they do next. It is going to be an entirely different cast and setting for the second season.

Evo

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't watched much series television in recent years, but when the kids invite me to watch (actually, to fall asleep watching), I've enjoyed Sherlock, Once Upon Time, and recently Psych (until I fall asleep ).
    "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks
    Thanked 6,324 Times in 3,711 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

With so much concentration on 20 somethings on American Networks (see the recent cancellation of A&E's Longmire and CBS's Vegas to make way) it's heartening to see not every production company or network is phobic about an aging population base as fans. Case in point, BBC America. More particularly on point, the newest incarnation of the immensely popular series Dr. Who, played this time around by 56 year old Peter Capaldi.

With two episodes under the broadcast belt let me be among many to declare the beloved staple is in more than competent hands. This Dr appears to be a more restrained (in terms of theatrics) grave and dark incarnation, but one with his own brand of humor and sufficient quirks to satisfy the anticipation of those familiar with previous avatars of the time lord. Clara, side kick of the previous Dr. actually works better with this one, being used more as the humorous foil to real effect. With eleven it sometimes felt like a competition.

Let's hope the rest of the season and series, long as Capaldi's reign lasts, is filled with similar stuff.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,214 Times in 10,099 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Longmire will not be renewed for a third season by the Arts and Entertainment network. The critically well received ensemble piece was the network's second most popular show, but the demographic skewed older and they apparently don't care for that audience.

So I say let's help A&E and tell them to go skew themselves by not watching any more of their programming. Let them see how many of those twenty somethings with attention deficit disorder will spend time and money on them.
    They also canceled The Glades, which upset me. But I watch Bates Motel, which is a great show. I didn't like Longmire. As for getting others to boycott A&E do you really expect people to give up Duck Dynasty?

With so much concentration on 20 somethings on American Networks (see the recent cancellation of A&E's Longmire and CBS's Vegas to make way) it's heartening to see not every production company or network is phobic about an aging population base as fans. Case in point, BBC America. More particularly on point, the newest incarnation of the immensely popular series Dr. Who, played this time around by 56 year old Peter Capaldi.

With two episodes under the broadcast belt let me be among many to declare the beloved staple is in more than competent hands. This Dr appears to be a more restrained (in terms of theatrics) grave and dark incarnation, but one with his own brand of humor and sufficient quirks to satisfy the anticipation of those familiar with previous avatars of the time lord. Clara, side kick of the previous Dr. actually works better with this one, being used more as the humorous foil to real effect. With eleven it sometimes felt like a competition.

Let's hope the rest of the season and series, long as Capaldi's reign lasts, is filled with similar stuff.
    Very enjoyable.

Did you know Peter Capaldi is older than any of the other actors were when they began the role? Matt Smith, before him, was the youngest.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hear good things about the new tv show about space

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    They also canceled The Glades, which upset me. But I watch Bates Motel, which is a great show. I didn't like Longmire. As for getting others to boycott A&E do you really expect people to give up Duck Dynasty?
    Probably not, but it irked me so...

Very enjoyable.

Did you know Peter Capaldi is older than any of the other actors were when they began the role? Matt Smith, before him, was the youngest.
    Really? I'd have thought at least the first would have been older. I have to admit not being sure about the choice, but the initial two episodes have exceeded my expectations and ended any concern I had about the his ability to take on the role. There's something vaguely Hugh Laurie about the way I see Capaldi taking on the role.

Happy to watch his run.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? I'd have thought at least the first would have been older. I have to admit not being sure about the choice, but the initial two episodes have exceeded my expectations and ended any concern I had about the his ability to take on the role. There's something vaguely Hugh Laurie about the way I see Capaldi taking on the role.

Happy to watch his run.
    Hartnell was about a year or two younger when he the show began in 1963.

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,800 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The Strain...as per my earlier nod, well acted and produced serial/limited run horror/vampire story, sort of.
    Love to watch this with the shades drawn and in the dark. A show that lingers with me afterwards creeping into daily reality. In retrospect I should have just waited for the entire season to conclude and binge watched it. That said, I probably would be creeping around the house all day jumping at every odd noise.

I am going to predict the eventual demise of Setrakian with Vasiliy taking up the mantle.

The Master - Who knew?

AMR
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.

Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?

Thanks
    Thanked 25,141 Times in 12,730 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Love to watch this with the shades drawn and in the dark. A show that lingers with me afterwards creeping into daily reality. In retrospect I should have just waited for the entire season to conclude and binge watched it. That said, I probably would be creeping around the house all day jumping at every odd noise.

I am going to predict the eventual demise of Setrakian with Vasiliy taking up the mantle.

The Master - Who knew?

AMR
    Who knew you'd be watching that stuff?

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,800 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Who knew you'd be watching that stuff?
    Heh! I like to watch shows with an occultic bent. My son goes bonkers every time I find a Jesus metaphor, lesson, example, etc., real or imagined, in them all. He absolutely refused to watch the latest Superman flick with me because of the rampant "my one and only son" themes in it. He groaned throughout the viewing of the Thor movies each time I chimed in about this or that Biblical analogy.

AMR
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.

Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Heh! I like to watch shows with an occultic bent.
    I'm curious about your reaction to Constantine then. I thought it was uneven, but the lead has something and the eye candy/potential romantic angle is interesting enough. And what's the deal with his oldest best friend's ability to get away with murder, after an inverted fashion?

What else...

Gotham has been surprisingly fresh.

The Mysteries of Laura...like why anyone thought this was a good idea.

Forever...not sure. I liked the lead better as Hornblower. And didn't we see this one before a few years ago on NBC?

Looking forward to Elementary returning on CBS.

Still enjoying Spader's turn on the ever murky Blacklist.

The new Doctor Who may just end up being my favorite incarnation in some time.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is the best comedic ensemble piece going.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious about your reaction to Constantine then. I thought it was uneven, but the lead has something and the eye candy/potential romantic angle is interesting enough. And what's the deal with his oldest best friend's ability to get away with murder, after an inverted fashion?
    I'll be watching that on DVR shortly.

What else...

Gotham has been surprisingly fresh.
    I'm enjoying it. DC is covering a lot of TV this year. Gotham, Constantine and The Flash all debuted this year, and Arrow is in it's third season. There is also talk of a Supergirl series, as well as live action Teen Titans. Now if they could get their heads back in the game with their animated series things might be really fun.

The Mysteries of Laura...like why anyone thought this was a good idea.
    Didn't even try it.

Forever...not sure. I liked the lead better as Hornblower. And didn't we see this one before a few years ago on NBC?
    I watched two episodes and while I liked it it wasn't enough to keep me.

Looking forward to Elementary returning on CBS.
    As am I.

[/quote]The new Doctor Who may just end up being my favorite incarnation in some time.[/quote]
    Capaldi is quite enjoyable in the role.

Thanks
    Thanked 27,010 Times in 18,177 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely love watching "Gunsmoke" reruns! I do like a few
    of the new shows but, I really enjoy the "bygone" era of Tele-
    vision! When I was a kid (in the 50s) I loved; Superman, Space
    Patrol, Science Fiction Theater, and ALL of the old scary movies