Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Don't know

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

On Fire

Guilty.

I like Trading Spaces, The Apprentice, Life in the E.R., and the occasional "Survivor" episode.

beanieboy

I used to. The idea of seeing how other people live, think, etc., was interesting. But then, it seemed to be scripted, and turn into cat fights. And if it isn't real, then you might as well watch a sit-com.

Has anyone seen the HBO Reality of Reality TV?

C

cattyfan

I enjoy American Idol, Survivor, the Apprentice, The Amazing Race, and some of the other shows...but things like The Bachelor, For Love or Money, fear Factor, The Swan, and other similarly themed low-rent knockoffs alternately repulse and bore me.

Like every other successful genre, T.V, execs think all imitations will appeal. But for every "Friends" they give us an American "Coupling" or (the original) "Ellen Degeneres" (the first season was built on the "Friends" model, with people sitting around a bookstore instead of a coffee house.)

We had "The Practice" and "Ally McBeal", so they gave us the show with the young lawyers (the name of which I can't even recall.) It lasted half a season.

For each "Everybody Loves Raymond" we are cursed with a "Yes Dear" "King of Queens" "According to Jim" and "Still Standing."

"The OC" was a hit, so now they trot out "North Shore." :yawn:

Now, with CSI and Las Vegas, they bring us Dr. Vegas...yippee. A doctor version of "Hotel."

Different year, same selection. And very little creativity.

ShadowMaid

But in all seriousness... we haven't had TV for six and a half years. I really don't remember shows like that. Not having TV gets you reading more. :D

Lucky

Hall of Fame
The first season of reality TV, which started with Survivor IIRC, was something fresh, new, and exciting. By the second or third season into the unreal world of reality TV, it had already gotten old. Fortunately for the networks and their sponsors :greedy:, many people were hooked. Reality TV isn't worth anything more than background noise. :down:

the Sibbie

Re: Do you enjoy reality TV shows

Originally posted by Knight

Such as...

Survivor, American Idol, Trading Spaces... etc.
Trading Spaces is about the best reality show there is...well as far as I know right now. I do like watching Survivor and American Idol sometimes too.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Lucky

Reality TV isn't worth anything more than background noise. :down:
Background noise for TOL?

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I like a couple of them....

American Chopper
American Idol
Monster Garage
Monster House

Basically anything with "Monster" or "American" in the title. :D

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cattyfan

But for every "Friends" they give us...
I've always considered Friends to be a cheap knock-off of Seinfeld.

For each "Everybody Loves Raymond" we are cursed ... "King of Queens"
Oh come on! King of Queens is funny. I think it's the third funniest show currently.

"The OC" was a hit...
The OC is a blatant rip-off of Saved By the Bell. Anyone can see that.

Crow

I like the ones that center around the E.R. and paramedics. I detest the shows that showcase the crassest and most self-serving of human behavior, and exploit back-stabbing and deceit for the sake of ratings. Some of the stuff I saw on "Survivor"--not the physical challenges but the conniving and "deals" that players made to advance themselves--make me want to :vomit:. I quit watching "Survivor" because I felt that it encouraged the participants to lie and manipulate one another. Yes, I know that such things are common enough behavior, but I don't enjoy watching human rottenness rewarded and exploited.

PureX

Re: Do you enjoy reality TV shows

Originally posted by Knight

Such as...

Survivor, American Idol, Trading Spaces... etc.
You know, I have to confess that I kind of did like them when they first showed up. I watched the first season of Survivor, and American Idol, and Big Brother, and really enjoyed them. But there's something about "real" TV that becomes boring very quickly. I find myself longing for a good weekly drama to watch. I like "Joan of Arcadia", "Gilmore Girls", "West Wing", and some of the CSI type shows basically because I'm just sick to death of "gay" sitcoms and reality shows. Broadcast TV is really hitting an all time low, these days. On the plus side, I watch it less and less. I buy DVDs of musical concerts and watch them instead.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Crow

I like the ones that center around the E.R. and paramedics. I detest the shows that showcase the crassest and most self-serving of human behavior, and exploit back-stabbing and deceit for the sake of ratings. Some of the stuff I saw on "Survivor"--not the physical challenges but the conniving and "deals" that players made to advance themselves--make me want to :vomit:. I quit watching "Survivor" because I felt that it encouraged the participants to lie and manipulate one another. Yes, I know that such things are common enough behavior, but I don't enjoy watching human rottenness rewarded and exploited.
Is it any different that bluffing in poker? :think:

On Fire

Re: Re: Do you enjoy reality TV shows

Originally posted by PureX

You know, I have to confess that I kind of did like them when they first showed up. I watched the first season of Survivor, and American Idol, and Big Brother, and really enjoyed them. But there's something about "real" TV that becomes boring very quickly. I find myself longing for a good weekly drama to watch. I like "Joan of Arcadia", "Gilmore Girls", "West Wing", and some of the CSI type shows basically because I'm just sick to death of "gay" sitcoms and reality shows. Broadcast TV is really hitting an all time low, these days. On the plus side, I watch it less and less. I buy DVDs of musical concerts and watch them instead.

:thumb:

PureX

Originally posted by Crow I like the ones that center around the E.R. and paramedics.
When "reality tv" first began, there were a couple of really good shows like that. One followed serious medical cases through their time in the hospital, and the other followed real criminal trials. I really liked both those shows, but they were really more like documentaries than they were like these weird "reality tv" things out, now.

You the show I really like to watch these days - is that one where a team of designers and carpenters go rebuild someone's house for them. hehe

beanieboy

Originally posted by ShadowMaid

But in all seriousness... we haven't had TV for six and a half years. I really don't remember shows like that. Not having TV gets you reading more. :D
That's amazing!

I have so much respect for that.
I got rid of cable, and now, when people ask me what's going on in my life, I don't say, "Rachel and Ross broke up..."

Lucky

Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PureX

I like "Joan of Arcadia", "Gilmore Girls", "West Wing", and some of the CSI type shows basically because I'm just sick to death of "gay" sitcoms and reality shows.
I like them CSI shows. How law enforcement gather evidence and the technology they use to process it nowadays is amazing.

Crow

There's a good one, "Little Miracles," that actually has a good bit of positive content--it shows how babies with serious medical problems are treated. I like "Rally around the House" and most of the others in that vein.