Proof from the Bible that God is In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Right, who changed?

10 Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.

God did not do that which He said He was going to do.

God said He was going to do something. As a result of their repentance, God did not do that which He said He was going to do. Just as He said He would in Jeremiah 18.

God reacted to mankind by not doing something which He said He was going to do.

Did God lie when He said that He was going to destroy Nineveh if He knew He was never going to destroy them?

sky.

BANNED
Banned

God said He was going to do something. As a result of their repentance, God did not do that which He said He was going to do. Just as He said He would in Jeremiah 18.

Did God lie when He said that He was going to destroy Nineveh if He knew He was never going to destroy them?

And why do you think God sent Jonah?

to warn them IF they didn't CHANGE THEIR WAYS. He was going to judge them. Are you people incapeable of understanding?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Right, who changed?

10 Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.
Because they turned He changed His mind and did not destroy them.

Thank you.

to warn them IF they didn't CHANGE THEIR WAYS. He was going to judge them. Are you people incapeable of understanding?
Clearly you're incapable of understanding, since God never gave them an option; He never said, "If you don't change I will destroy you." He said, “Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!”

There is no "if/then" in that declaration.

In a battle of wits between yourself and a box of rocks the smart money's not on you.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

Really? God sent Jonah to tell Nineveh that He was going to judge them if they didn't change their ways?

Or...did God tell Jonah to go to Nineveh and tell them in 40 days they were going to be overthrown?

Which is it?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Really? God sent Jonah to tell Nineveh that He was going to judge them if they didn't change their ways?

Or...did God tell Jonah to go to Nineveh and tell them in 40 days they were going to be overthrown?

Which is it?

My, my...you have never read the book of Jonah. Nineveh had 40 days to repent and THEN God was going to judge them IF they didn't change their ways.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
My, my...you have never read the book of Jonah. Nineveh had 40 days to repent and THEN God was going to judge them IF they didn't change their ways.
Really?

Okay, then, where does it say that?

I've provided the entirety of chapter 3 for you [which is the only portion that actually takes place in Nineveh, and has Jonah's words, from God, to Nineveh in it. So show us where God gave them an ultimatum.

Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time, saying, “Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and preach to it the message that I tell you.” So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three-day journey in extent. And Jonah began to enter the city on the first day’s walk. Then he cried out and said, “Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!” So the people of Nineveh believed God, proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest to the least of them. Then word came to the king of Nineveh; and he arose from his throne and laid aside his robe, covered himself with sackcloth and sat in ashes. And he caused it to be proclaimed and published throughout Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying,
Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything; do not let them eat, or drink water. But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily to God; yes, let every one turn from his evil way and from the violence that is in his hands. Who can tell if God will turn and relent, and turn away from His fierce anger, so that we may not perish?

Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.
-Jonah 3

sonictap01.gif

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Jonah 3

3 Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you.”

3 Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very large city; it took three days to go through it. 4 Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city, proclaiming, “Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.” 5 The Ninevites believed God. A fast was proclaimed, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Is the difficulty that the only true God, who threatened, also does not change in regard to His character?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Jonah 3

3 Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you.”

3 Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very large city; it took three days to go through it. 4 Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city, proclaiming, “Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.” 5 The Ninevites believed God. A fast was proclaimed, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.

10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.

Just what I thought; you're a moron.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I would say that applies. God did not change His mind. He fulfilled His promise.
He changed what He was going to do because the people changed. But God's character did not change.

You say He did not change His mind. I'm assumming the idea is that God's mind changes or that God changes His mind.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
He changed what He was going to do because the people changed. But God's character did not change.

You say He did not change His mind. I'm assumming the idea is that God's mind changes or that God changes His mind.

God put forth the terms. The people changed.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
God put forth the terms. The people changed.
God's terms express His love, justice, and mercy. When a person repents, they turn from their own ways to God's, and they receive the blessing of being counted among the people of God.

What specifically do you see as the terms in the passage you are examining?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
God's terms express His love, justice, and mercy. When a person repents, they turn from their own ways to God's, and they receive the blessing of being counted among the people of God.

What specifically do you see as the terms in the passage you are examining?

God sent Jonah to tell the people of Nineveh to repent. They repented as can be seen in these verses (below). What were the terms? I already posted that. Simply Jonah gave them the word of the Lord that the Lord gave him to give them. 40 days and if you don't repent you will be destroyed.

--------------------------------

6 When Jonah’s warning reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his royal robes, covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the dust. 7 This is the proclamation he issued in Nineveh:

“By the decree of the king and his nobles:

Do not let people or animals, herds or flocks, taste anything; do not let them eat or drink. 8 But let people and animals be covered with sackcloth. Let everyone call urgently on God. Let them give up their evil ways and their violence. 9 Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish.”

Status
Not open for further replies.