TOL at the Crossroads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOL at the Crossroads

It's amazing to think that TheologyOnline has been going strong since 1997! What started out as a place to meet with classmates of a theology class has turned into one of the longest running internet communities on earth.

As you may or may not know my life has changed a bit and I no longer have the time to devote to TheologyOnline that I would like to. That means the moderators end up having to do the bulk of the work Work which often times is not that pleasant.

Back in the day we promoted the fact that TOL was a place to smack some truth! But that fun strategy seems to have been replaced with merely taking pot shots and following people around on the forum merely to make a quick insult on every post they make. This is ruining the community.

Therefore.... TOL is at a crossroad. What to do I ponder. Should I...

1. Shut it down and put it out of it's misery?
    2. Sell it to someone else that would like to carry on the community?
    3. Sell it to a company that buys established domains to re-develop it into something else?
    4. Or... try and see if we can guide the community in a better direction.

I would like to start with option 4 guiding the community in a better direction. But frankly I will not be around much to help in that regard. Therefore the burden will fall on the TOL moderators namely Sherman and ebenz. All I can really do is empower them to make the hard decisions that need to be made.

We can no longer allow folks to follow others around the forum mocking them and disrupting their threads. If you don't like the topic of a thread or do not like the person who started the thread ignore it! Move on to something you are interested in. Please be careful if you are teasing or having fun with another member because if we mistake that for mean-spirited mocking you will get an infraction and possibly a TOL ban.

Please folks... TOL needs to be a place where people feel comfortable making a point or exploring ideas. That's the fun part of a community forum. If they feel like they cannot explore ideas without being mocked they will go elsewhere and TOL will end up being 6 or 8 members preaching to their own choir.

Therefore... infractions will fly fast and furious for those who do not add to the conversation but simply mocking and troll the forum. From here on out folks need to show other members a level of respect when responding to one another. That doesn't mean you can't vehemently disagree but you must do so in a way where you are actually engaging in the debate and not simply trolling.

Lets Make TOL Great Again. #MTGA

If we fail at this it will be indeed time to go a different direction with the website.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

I'll volunteer to be the axe, if new strict and simply stated guidelines are posted for all to see. Will be happy to consult with other mods first. No such thing as a hard decision when dealing with trolls and other drags on discussions.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Comment

If you need me to step up more, let me know. Right now, I pretty much stay online to make sure nothing outrageous is going on. I don't know a whole lot about the technical aspect of the site. But, I am willing to do what I can for TOL. If you end up shutting it down or selling it, I understand that. This site has lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. I love it and a lot of our members.
      They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as eagles. -- Isaiah 40:31

Vegetarian - Indian word for lousy hunter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ebenz47037 View Post
        If you need me to step up more, let me know. Right now, I pretty much stay online to make sure nothing outrageous is going on. I don't know a whole lot about the technical aspect of the site. But, I am willing to do what I can for TOL. If you end up shutting it down or selling it, I understand that. This site has lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. I love it and a lot of our members.
        Stepping up more would be great! We don't need help in any technical way just help guiding the community back to where people can have discussions without being trolled and mocked at every turn.
        Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
        TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

I won't hesitate to place members in the penalty box that stalk and harass. If they keep doing it I will punt them for good. It doesn't matter who they are. TOL needs to start growing again. The mocking and harassment is hurting this site. It is also a poor witness to non-Christians.
          sigpic

Comment

Not sure how this site runs as far as when someone "flags" a post. But was wondering if maybe the community itself could be more helpful in monitoring it? That is ... if a user is "flagged" 3 times (or more) ... they automatically are sent to the "penalty box" and those are then reviewed by the moderators and if determined as being "flaming" 3 strikes (or more)you're out? Do users get notified if they have been flagged?

Comment

'Flagging' is the same as reporting. There is a such thing as malicious reporting. There has been members that follow users around and report posts that are not violations. So reports are vetted by the staff to see if the report needs to be actioned or not.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TrumpTrainCA View Post
                Your first post in a few days is an insult. Is that wise?
                Originally posted by Arthur Brain View Post
                It wasn't an insult, it was an observation. Musty's comment was as stupid as this "Q" guy's output. What do you care anyway?
                Well, since you ask, there is a thread from the head honchos about closing down this forum, and your sort of insults and vitriol is one of the reasons. Thats why. Maybe you should lighten up a little
                I thought I would share.

Comment

This stuff isn't what we are talking about. There is going to be some back and forth. Arthur is talking about the comment not the member. This is the kind of post we are talking about:

Example:

Member X

Member X
                  You are a Coward

And said user follows X around the forums, drops into his threads and does this stuff.

sigpic

Comment

Posts that harass and denigrate the member without engaging in the discussion are the ones that will be targeted for pruning.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
                      Posts that harass and denigrate the member without engaging in the discussion are the ones that will be targeted for pruning.
                      Acknowledged

Comment

User X is me.
                        "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
                        Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
                        By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Comment

Awww - you deleted artie's epic flameout?

Into the memory hole, eh?

No, my bad - his sock account wasn't scrubbed.

So the new rules are that if you earn a short ban it's ok to make a sock account to flameout?

Cool!
                          Last edited by ok doser; March 3rd, 2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ok doser View Post
                            Awww - you deleted artie's epic flameout?

Into the memory hole, eh?

No, my bad - his sock account wasn't scrubbed.

So the new rules are that if you earn a short ban it's ok to make a sock account to flameout?

Cool!
                            Are you saying he was banned, then created a false account to keep yelling, and then his banned account was allowed to re-activate despite circumventing the ban with the false account? Thats fairly lenient.

Comment

Are you saying he was banned, then created a false account to keep yelling, and then his banned account was allowed to re-activate despite circumventing the ban with the false account? Thats fairly lenient.
                              others have received permabans for it in the past

apparently the rules have changed

Comment

Working...
                              X