Hello, Fundies! :)

Hi guys!

I was referred here by Alpha, from AF.org. (It took me a while, but I'm finally here.)

I am a nonbeliever. I am a member of several Christian forums and an atheist forum. I came in search of discussion with fundamentalists. There are fundies on every Christian forum, yes, but the population is dilute with those who accept evolution, the big bang etc., etc... I'm looking for "Six days is six days!" and "God stretched the light from Andromeda to Earth" hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists with which to exchange dialogue.

You'll find that I'm super respectful of others' beliefs, and (if I do happen to offend) I'm receptive to criticism on that account. I came here to discuss things--not to feel superior to anyone or score "in your face" points.

I've read and appreciate much of the Bible, and I find the Gospels (particularly the Sermon on the Mount) morally compelling. Anyway, there's plenty of time to discuss these things elsewhere in the forums. See you in the threads!

Vulcan

Who? :idunno:
Never heard of him/her.

If he wants to identify himself he can go ahead do it in this thread. I don't want to call him out. Besides, I don't know what his username is here. He's a conservative Christian I met on an atheist forum who recommended this site.

marhig

Hi guys!

I was referred here by Alpha, from AF.org. (It took me a while, but I'm finally here.)

I am a nonbeliever. I am a member of several Christian forums and an atheist forum. I came in search of discussion with fundamentalists. There are fundies on every Christian forum, yes, but the population is dilute with those who accept evolution, the big bang etc., etc... I'm looking for "Six days is six days!" and "God stretched the light from Andromeda to Earth" hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists with which to exchange dialogue.

You'll find that I'm super respectful of others' beliefs, and (if I do happen to offend) I'm receptive to criticism on that account. I came here to discuss things--not to feel superior to anyone or score "in your face" points.

I've read and appreciate much of the Bible, and I find the Gospels (particularly the Sermon on the Mount) morally compelling. Anyway, there's plenty of time to discuss these things elsewhere in the forums. See you in the threads!

Vulcan

Hiya! :)

Can I ask you, why don't you believe in God? Have you ever believed?

The reason I'm asking is because you say that you're on different Christian forums and I'm wondering why you are, if you don't believe in God? And why do you want to speak to only fundamentalists?

I do believe in God and Christ, but I don't believe in the 6 days being literal so I guess that's me out of your chats [emoji6]

Btw welcome :)

Hiya! :)

Can I ask you, why don't you believe in God? Have you ever believed?

Sure, ask me anything! I was raised Catholic, so I believed when I was very young. I became an atheist in my teens, had a brief brush with Hinduism in my twenties, and now in my thirties, I simply find nonbelief more plausible.

I don't believe in God, because it seems reasonable to conclude he's merely a myth that the ancients constructed to explain the world and keep order in their society. Yahweh isn't the only example of this. You have Zeus, Shiva, and others. Zeus makes the rain fall, Shiva maintains balance in the universe, Yahweh does it all. Whatever. None of them are real. At least, it seems reasonable to me to conclude this. Whether or not I'm wrong, doesn't that seem like a reasonable conclusion to you?

The reason I'm asking is because you say that you're on different Christian forums and I'm wondering why you are, if you don't believe in God? And why do you want to speak to only fundamentalists?
Yeah, I'm open to speaking to anyone. Lol. I hang out in Christian forums for a few reasons: debate (I love debate!), discussion of scripture, to learn from people who hold different beliefs... but mostly I'm fascinated by religion. And I admire Christian morality (basic "love thy neighbor stuff). I think it's pretty powerful. Powerful enough to change the world, maybe, if its adherents actually took Jesus's teachings and parables seriously once in a while. If you've ever read Leo Tolstoy, you know what I admire about Christianity.

Didn't mean to exclude non-fundamentalists. I'll chat with anyone. It's just that I love debate, and I'm most interested in crossing swords with them. I've lurked a bit here. Some of you guys are scrappy. I like that.

Thanks for the welcome.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Hi guys!

Vulcan
You came to the right place to learn how foolish and delusional the big bang and the 57 theories that prop it up are. Say when.

marhig

Sure, ask me anything! I was raised Catholic, so I believed when I was very young. I became an atheist in my teens, had a brief brush with Hinduism in my twenties, and now in my thirties, I simply find nonbelief more plausible.

I don't believe in God, because it seems reasonable to conclude he's merely a myth that the ancients constructed to explain the world and keep order in their society. Yahweh isn't the only example of this. You have Zeus, Shiva, and others. Zeus makes the rain fall, Shiva maintains balance in the universe, Yahweh does it all. Whatever. None of them are real. At least, it seems reasonable to me to conclude this. Whether or not I'm wrong, doesn't that seem like a reasonable conclusion to you?

I don't believe in any religion, I'm not a mainstream Christian and I don't believe in denominations, but I believe in God and Jesus Christ and I believe in his teachings, he speaks with wisdom that is above man. I know he speaks the truth.

What if you take the name of all those God's away, and look at creation itself, doesn't that tell you that a greater mind has to be behind everything? To put everything in its place perfectly, to clean the water and send it to the earth pure, the clean the air, to have the sun and the moon at the perfect distance from us for life. I look around and I know that there has to be a greater mind behind everything, it can't have exploded from nothing whatsoever. That's impossible.

What about our conscience, how can we have a mind that contradicts our own thoughts, one telling us to do wrong and the other right? I believe that God pricks our conscience to do right whilst Satan tempts is to sin.

Yeah, I'm open to speaking to anyone. Lol. I hang out in Christian forums for a few reasons: debate (I love debate!), discussion of scripture, to learn from people who hold different beliefs... but mostly I'm fascinated by religion. And I admire Christian morality (basic "love thy neighbor stuff). I think it's pretty powerful. Powerful enough to change the world, maybe, if its adherents actually took Jesus's teachings and parables seriously once in a while. If you've ever read Leo Tolstoy, you know what I admire about Christianity.

Didn't mean to exclude non-fundamentalists. I'll chat with anyone. It's just that I love debate, and I'm most interested in crossing swords with them. I've lurked a bit here. Some of you guys are scrappy. I like that.

Thanks for the welcome.

Well it's good that you think what Jesus taught was powerful, and it is, because it comes from God. Jesus isn't a denomination, they are made by men, he's the way and he's come and showed us how to live right before God, he's came to bare witness to the truth and he came as an example for us to follow. I hope that one day you'll see that God does exist. And talking about swords, I hope that the sword of God pierces you heart also one day :)

Btw, you can ask me anything too :)

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome to TOL, Vulcan. You should be right at home as long as you are respectful in your dialog. We welcome all types of posters, but being respectful and not opening thread after thread on the same subject is the key.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Hi guys!

Vulcan

Hey Vulcan!

Welcome to TOL.
Glad you stopped by.

If you are a non-believer, tell us about this non that you worship!
That's just my clever way of saying that there is no such thing as a non-believer!! :)
Actually, it sounds like you have become quite a 'fundie' about your faith.

Explanation: It is impossible for anyone not to have a belief system; and a belief system includes faith. The system you are describing is faith in something other than the God of the Bible and includes a rejection of it. My belief system includes faith in the God of the Bible and excludes your faith that He does not exist.

The fact that you have rejected Him because of certain information you believe is more important, simply proves that the Bible is accurate when it says: Rom 3:3KJV, Heb 3:19KJV.

So, good job! You are part of God's plan to witness to the world of His mercy and goodness.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
I simply find nonbelief more plausible.

Now there you go again! Proving the Bible true. 1Co 2:14KJV
Isn't it interesting how God knew how to respond to that before you came up with it?

If you want to talk about reasonable, do a study on the historicity of Jesus and His resurrection. Mind blowing. Unless, of course, you are afreid of what you might find. There is actually more historical proof that Jesus came back from the dead than that Benjamin Franklin was a real person. Reasonable people accept reasonable evidence.
For example; if anyone was going to write something that they knew was untrue, they would never, in that culture, have women finding the stone rolled away.
2Pe 1:16KJV

Yup, everyone requires answers to the big questions. It's not possible to leave them unsettled in our minds. Of course, because we are born sinners, our efforts always lean away from God because we are at enmity with Him. Rom 8:7KJV But once that gets solved, we are free to know the truth as Adam was before the fall, and as Jesus was.

fool

Hall of Fame
Welcome newcomer.
This place used to be a big deal but traffic has waned.
We have many variety's around with plenty of "hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists" in fact the site is owned by one. So do note that you are in the enemy camp.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So do note that you are in the enemy camp.
One does wonder why not a few seek out a venue to put themselves in harm's way rather than enjoying the comfort of the like-minded.

Experience teaches me that the motivations are inevitably self-serving rather than any claim to altruism.

Just sayin'. ;)

AMR

One does wonder why not a few seek out a venue to put themselves in harm's way rather than enjoying the comfort of the like-minded.

Experience teaches me that the motivations are inevitably self-serving rather than any claim to altruism.

Just sayin'. ;)

AMR

"One does wonder?" Well, let me ease your bewilderment...

1) I'm not a coward who needs to surround himself with people who agree with him. My beliefs are the same whether I'm around like-minded people or "the enemy camp." I'm also willing to admit when I'm wrong. I see it as a growing experience...something to be sought after rather than something to be avoided. So either way, I'm fine being around people who disagree with my assessments. They will either fail to prove me wrong, and I'll see that my views survive scrutiny. Or they'll point out an error in my reasoning and I'll learn from it. Seems like a win/win.

2) I didn't join the forum for altruistic reasons. Who does that?

"Guys"?

Really?

Are you a patriarchy-perpetuating, CIS identity assuming, misogynistic bigot? You owe every non-"guy" here an apology, xir, for your hurtful word choice.

Lol. I'm not politically correct. It's too hard. Too many rules. Besides, being offensive is unavoidable. If you try to avoid it at all costs, you'll end up not speaking your mind. I believe everybody should speak their mind, whether what they have to say is offensive or not. The PC folks are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to censor bigotry. The more we hear bigotry, the better we can identify it for what it is. "Speak up, David Duke, let everyone hear how UTTERLY STUPID you are!"

To the mod who said not to post redundant threads: Don't worry, man. That's not me.

Thanks for the welcome, everybody. I'll see you in the threads.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Experience teaches me that the motivations are inevitably self-serving..

AMR

I'm not a coward who needs to surround himself with people who agree with him. My beliefs are the same whether I'm around like-minded people or "the enemy camp." I'm also willing to admit when I'm wrong. I see it as a growing experience...something to be sought after rather than something to be avoided. So either way, I'm fine being around people who disagree with my assessments. They will either fail to prove me wrong, and I'll see that my views survive scrutiny. Or they'll point out an error in my reasoning and I'll learn from it. Seems like a win/win.

Q.E.D.

AMR

fool

Hall of Fame
Why argue with people on the internet at all? We got along just fine before it, we still argued but we had to do it in person or by mail which made it slower.

Just sayin'. ;)

AMR
You should read Rand.