Hello, Fundies! :)

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
So, your argument is that five Hebrew scholars missed the phrases that I highlighted?

Genesis 2:5-6
5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.​

:chuckle:

Maybe you should email them and ask them why them missed those phrases.

The embarassing thing is that what they said actually disproves his point!

Shhh! Don't tell him.

Lon

Spoiler
The five Hebrew scholars who translated Genesis for the NET Bible refute your error:

13 tn Heb “Now every sprig of the field before it was.” The verb forms, although appearing to be imperfects, are technically preterites coming after the adverb טֶּרֶם (terem). The word order (conjunction + subject + predicate) indicates a disjunctive clause, which provides background information for the following narrative (as in 1:2). Two negative clauses are given (“before any sprig…”, and “before any cultivated grain” existed), followed by two causal clauses explaining them, and then a positive circumstantial clause is given – again dealing with water as in 1:2 (water would well up).

14 tn The first term, שִׂיחַ (siakh), probably refers to the wild, uncultivated plants (see Gen 21:15; Job 30:4,7); whereas the second, עֵשֶׂב (’esev), refers to cultivated grains. It is a way of saying: “back before anything was growing.”

15 tn The two causal clauses explain the first two disjunctive clauses: There was no uncultivated, general growth because there was no rain, and there were no grains because there was no man to cultivate the soil.

https://net.bible.org/#!bible/Genesis+2

For your added information, the five translators:
Old Testament Translators and Editors

Pentateuch:

Richard E. Averbeck, Ph.D.
(Dropsie College)

Robert B. Chisholm, Th.D.
(Dallas Theological Seminary)

Dorian Coover-Cox, Ph.D.
(Dallas Theological Seminary)

Eugene H. Merrill, Ph.D.
(Columbia University)

Allen P. Ross, Ph.D.
(Cambridge University)

You can do a web search to see their credentials — they are excellent.

What is your background in ancient Hebrew translation?
Good enough. Look, 1) you are arguing in front of an atheist. He already said he isn't interested in your version. He already agrees with your version so you are just trolling this thread for an opportunity to hijack yet another thread for your uncontrollable urges. 2) The text doesn't really go into it. It could be the 'land of Eden.' The precedent is 'mist' not necessarily Adam and Eve. That too means you are interpreting 'figurative' off of a whim. 3) See that YOU are breaking thread rules:
There are fundies on every Christian forum, yes, but the population is dilute with those who accept evolution, the big bang etc., etc... I'm looking for "Six days is six days!" and "God stretched the light from Andromeda to Earth" hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists with which to exchange dialogue.

Vulcan
Vulcan isn't INTERESTED in your opinion. He said so, so you are in a thread that doesn't belong to you and is NOT your business. He stipulated it wasn't your business, but you can't help yourself. These are your uncontrollable urges and tongue. James says you can't handle it, but you don't even look like you are trying :plain:

This tradition, often identified as J...
:doh: An incredibly LIBERAL and incredibly detached from the Bible nonChristian theory. It was posited by liberal nonChristians and there you are spouting it off as if it is 'theology' gold.... :nono: There is no reason for you to be here, Cobra. It is all garbage, rubbish, and useless, counted for naught and worse. You just love to argue, and debate and have your concept of pride stroked. Anybody that reads this and knows about it, knows you are in bed with liberal nonChristian heathen. John 15:5 --> Without Him, you can't do anything. NOTHING. :plain:

2003cobra

So, your argument is that five Hebrew scholars missed the phrases that I highlighted?

Genesis 2:5-6
5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.​

:chuckle:

Maybe you should email them and ask them why them missed those phrases.
Apparently you did not read the translators notes.

2003cobra

The embarassing thing is that what they said actually disproves his point!

Shhh! Don't tell him.
Strange.

Apparently you did not read the translator notes either. The short version:

It is a way of saying: “back before anything was growing.”

15 tn The two causal clauses explain the first two disjunctive clauses: There was no uncultivated, general growth because there was no rain, and there were no grains because there was no man to cultivate the soil.

2003cobra

Good enough. Look, 1) you are arguing in front of an atheist. He already said he isn't interested in your version. He already agrees with your version so you are just trolling this thread for an opportunity to hijack yet another thread for your uncontrollable urges. 2) The text doesn't really go into it. It could be the 'land of Eden.' The precedent is 'mist' not necessarily Adam and Eve. That too means you are interpreting 'figurative' off of a whim. 3) See that YOU are breaking thread rules:
Vulcan isn't INTERESTED in your opinion. He said so, so you are in a thread that doesn't belong to you and is NOT your business. He stipulated it wasn't your business, but you can't help yourself. These are your uncontrollable urges and tongue. James says you can't handle it, but you don't even look like you are trying :plain:

:doh: An incredibly LIBERAL and incredibly detached from the Bible nonChristian theory. It was posited by liberal nonChristians and there you are spouting it off as if it is 'theology' gold.... :nono: There is no reason for you to be here, Cobra. It is all garbage, rubbish, and useless, counted for naught and worse. You just love to argue, and debate and have your concept of pride stroked. Anybody that reads this and knows about it, knows you are in bed with liberal nonChristian heathen. John 15:5 --> Without Him, you can't do anything. NOTHING. :plain:

I would like for all atheists to know that the insistence on a literal reading of the early chapters of Genesis is not a requirement of Christianity and it is not even consistent with the Biblical text.

You are arguing in front of an atheist, and you are arguing nonsense that makes Christianity look stupid. It turns people away from the gospel. It puts blood on the hands of its proponents.

As for arguing from pride, I don’t think I am a match for you.

I suspect you know George and genuineoriginal are wrong about the NETBible translator notes, but you won’t say so. Think about why that might be. Better yet, pray about it.

glorydaz

I would like for all atheists to know that the insistence on a literal reading of the early chapters of Genesis is not a requirement of Christianity and it is not even consistent with the Biblical text.

You are arguing in front of an atheist, and you are arguing nonsense that makes Christianity look stupid. It turns people away from the gospel. It puts blood on the hands of its proponents.

I suspect you know George and genuineoriginal are wrong about the NETBible translator notes, but you won’t say so. Think about why that might be. Better yet, pray about it.

Yes, Mr. Innocent.....just like your Gospel thread. :rotfl:

Lon

He ALREADY said he knows that. He acknowledges that (as do almost all atheists on TOL).
DON'T try to apologize for God. I will defend whatever is right or true DESPITE what man thinks is right or true against God. You read INTO the text, not out of it.

Galatians 6:3-8 Philippians 3:4-11

Matthew 7:4,5

Why are you 'speculating' about what 'you' suspect? You jump the gun more often than not in guesses and assumptions. As you do me, you do the scriptures as well :( Luke 4:23 I do pray, for you as well.

genuineoriginal

Apparently you did not read the translators notes.
Translator: "the first term, שִׂיחַ (siakh), probably refers to the wild, uncultivated plants"

It appears that the term הַשָּׂדֶ֗ה (haś·śā·ḏeh), which was translated as "of the field", contradicts the translator's supposition that the word שִׂיחַ (siakh), probably refers to the wild, uncultivated plants.

The translator's notes on the verse are misleading, but the words of the verse itself shows clearly that it is speaking about plants in cultivated fields.

Genesis 2:5 NET
5 Now no shrub of the field had yet grown on the earth, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was no man to cultivate the ground.​

Lon

Here is a thought: If you really are interested in their salvation, start a thread for them "Atheists, you don't have to be, Christians are wrong." Or something along that line of thinking. You may be entirely ineffectual on TOL, but I can watch from afar. It'd think it'd be MUCH more effective than simply jumping in and arguing with 'fundies' every thread. I'd read that thread, at the very least, so it wouldn't be a waste of your time AND I'd find it interesting if not edifying personally. -Lon

2003cobra

He ALREADY said he knows that. He acknowledges that (as do almost all atheists on TOL).

DON'T try to apologize for God. I will defend whatever is right or true DESPITE what man thinks is right or true against God. You read INTO the text, not out of it.

Galatians 6:3-8 Philippians 3:4-11

Matthew 7:4,5

Why are you 'speculating' about what 'you' suspect? You jump the gun more often than not in guesses and assumptions. As you do me, you do the scriptures as well :( Luke 4:23 I do pray, for you as well.

Apologize for God? The nonsense some Christians post is not God speaking.

2003cobra

Translator: "the first term, שִׂיחַ (siakh), probably refers to the wild, uncultivated plants"

It appears that the term הַשָּׂדֶ֗ה (haś·śā·ḏeh), which was translated as "of the field", contradicts the translator's supposition that the word שִׂיחַ (siakh), probably refers to the wild, uncultivated plants.

The translator's notes on the verse are misleading, but the words of the verse itself shows clearly that it is speaking about plants in cultivated fields.

Genesis 2:5 NET
5 Now no shrub of the field had yet grown on the earth, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was no man to cultivate the ground.​

I understand you disagree with the five Hebrew scholars.

The text of the second creation story is quite clear: man was formed before plants and animals.

2003cobra

Here is a thought: If you really are interested in their salvation, start a thread for them "Atheists, you don't have to be, Christians are wrong." Or something along that line of thinking. You may be entirely ineffectual on TOL, but I can watch from afar. It'd think it'd be MUCH more effective than simply jumping in and arguing with 'fundies' every thread. I'd read that thread, at the very least, so it wouldn't be a waste of your time AND I'd find it interesting if not edifying personally. -Lon
I think if you knew what would be effective then you would not be doing what you are doing.

Lon

I think if you knew what would be effective then you would not be doing what you are doing.
Apologize for God? The nonsense some Christians post is not God speaking.

YOU are the one interested in trying to prove Christians wrong in thread. :plain:

Try again. Don't you have ANY introspective ability??? That man is YOU!

Don't you have any ability to take a look at yourself? :doh:

Lon

Yeah, I guess you have a point. I can see how some people might actually do that. Maybe I should have just pointed out that it isn't commonplace, nor is it realistic to expect it from anyone.
There are altruistic posters on TOL. Even purportedly from some of our atheists on TOL.

:think: It has been almost a week. Did we lose you?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
I understand you disagree with the five Hebrew scholars.

The text of the second creation story is quite clear: man was formed before plants and animals.

I understand the five Hebrew scholars disagree with you that there are two creation stories.
Too bad.

Alan P. Ross - "What God created is here called “the heavens and the earth,” a poetic expression (merism) signifying the whole universe. Other examples of this poetic device are “day and night” (meaning all the time) and “man and beast” (meaning all created physical beings). “Heaven and earth” thus indicates not only the heaven and the earth but everything in them. Genesis 2:4 also uses this expression in a restatement of the work of creation throughout the six days."