Greetings from another PNW resident

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sadly, there are many still today, such as the above, who think that faith in Jesus is about believing some particular doctrines or keeping some particular set of laws.
Jesus died to set us free from that.
We have become sons, not subjects. Our faith does not consist in formulas but in relationship. Not words but power.

So that's why Jesus was called teacher?

Nihilo, glad you agree with me.
Jamie, yep you got it in one. Jesus taught that salvation could not be obtained by keeping the law. Just as Paul also taught.

Iason, welcome. I hope you enjoy your new relationship with the Lord. Being a disciple is not about whether or not you should tithe or if so whether you should tithe on your gross income or net. That kind of discussion is really about what is the maximum amount of money I can keep to myself. Being a disciple is about giving everything to the Lord. It is the same with divorce and remarriage, which are really about the limits of our selfishness. Discipleship doesn't ask these questions but rather concentrates on how we can be faithful people in all our relationships. There are also those here who debate whether it is right to keep the seventh day holy and whether that day is a Sunday or a Saturday. Discipleship demands that every day is a day of holiness.
All these people will try to attract your attention away from true faith to fruitless discussions that eventually indoctrinate you to ask all the wrong questions. They do this because they themselves have no faith and want to justify themselves by doing something (just like the rich young businessman who asked Jesus 'What must I do to inherit eternal life?' as if everything he did was already too easy and wanted to prove what a capable person he was - and then Jesus gave him something that would be quite difficult to do, namely keep the commandments, to make a point, but when that didn't work, Jesus gave him something that was humanly quite impossible to do and this persuaded him that he didn't want to be a disciple after all).
In the same way, many here and in the church will tell you that you have to absolutely believe this or that and if you do not, then you are not a true Christian. Don't let them take control of you. You have one Lord and that is Jesus - it is what he thinks of you that determines matters, not what all these others think.

PureX

Hello everyone,
I'm a husband to a beautiful wife and we have 4 wonderful boys. I'm a new christian and eager to learn all I can. Ive always believed in God but never took the time to learn about him or read his book, I'm well over due!

I've been poking around on this forum for a few weeks and I'm amazed at how divided Christianity really is and I ask you to take it easy on me if at all possible :)

I do study on a regular basis but I'm lacking in the history and context so may ask silly questions on things that I don't understand.

I have recently started going to a non denominational church, not many choices in my area. So far I have been very happy with the members and the pastor.

Anyway, that's enough about me for now, where would one recommend me starting on this massive site?

God bless you all!
Hello, and welcome.

I'm curious to know why you have decided to align yourself with religious Christianity at this time. If that's not too personal of a question.

Also, I know there'll be plenty of complaining about my saying so, here, but please keep in mind that neither God nor Jesus ever wrote any books. People wrote about them, of course, but people can make mistakes, and I think it's important to remember that so as to keep one's religious feet on the ground, so to speak.

iason

Thank you for the welcome PureX,

I'm a follower of Christ.
Yes the Bible was written by man but I truly believe it came from God, if he created everything and us is this to hard to believe?

On your premise, where do you stand with the bible/religion?

PureX

Thank you for the welcome PureX,

I'm a follower of Christ.
Yes the Bible was written by man but I truly believe it came from God, if he created everything and us is this to hard to believe?
Yes, it's very hard for me to believe. As it's a very ineffective way to convey information, especially for a deity. And it requires a determined manipulation of reality, which in effect would be God contradicting God's own plan for existence. It simply makes no sense, when it makes complete sense that men would write about their concepts and experiences of God, and passed them on to us in the form of poems, stories, parables, myths, symbols and allegory.
On your premise, where do you stand with the bible/religion?
Religion is a collection of ideals, rituals, practices, doctrines and traditions used to help people live according to their chosen theological beliefs. I make a point not to confuse religion with God, or Christianity with Christ.

IMJerusha

Hi there husband of beautiful wife and father of 4 what?...boys...whoa, you got your work cut out for you! Anyway, welcome to TOL! :wave:

IMJerusha

Thank you!
Yes I absolutely do, I love every minute of it too!

That's what good fathers are all about! :) With God at your side, Yeshua in your heart and the guidance of the Ruach, you will be a great father. A very blessed Sabbath to you, Brother! :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Hello everyone,
I'm a husband to a beautiful wife and we have 4 wonderful boys. I'm a new christian and eager to learn all I can. Ive always believed in God but never took the time to learn about him or read his book, I'm well over due!

I've been poking around on this forum for a few weeks and I'm amazed at how divided Christianity really is and I ask you to take it easy on me if at all possible :)

I do study on a regular basis but I'm lacking in the history and context so may ask silly questions on things that I don't understand.

I have recently started going to a non denominational church, not many choices in my area. So far I have been very happy with the members and the pastor.

Anyway, that's enough about me for now, where would one recommend me starting on this massive site?

God bless you all!

if you get done poking around, join in someday ! - :patrol:

btw, what is a PNW resident ?