Announcement

Collapse

Theology Club Rules

For years many TOL members have asked for a special set of forums where theology could be discussed without the distraction of troublemakers and other distractions. To post in the Theology Club forums you must apply for membership (yes even TOL subscribers must apply). Almost all memberships will be approved however your membership will be revoked if you engage in anti-Christian rhetoric, repeated cases of red-herrings, quibbling over terms (equivocation), strawmen, false allegations, and other devices contrary to honest debate. In short the Theology Club is a place for honest and friendly discussion regarding theological topics.
See more
See less

both in one Body by the cross

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaulToPaul View Post
    Today could be the day. I'm willing rather to depart and be with the Lord.
    Can I go?
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Comment

Originally posted by musterion View Post
      Is tolerating error, by showing charity toward those who err, really charity? Do we condone their error by maintaining our presence among them? I dunno...asking.
      No, I don't believe one condones error by being charitable to an unbeliever.

The story of the good Samaritan would be an example of one showing charity (love) to another without making religious belief a condition to administer charity.
      He saw a person in need, and he gave charity to that person in need without even delving into what religious or political views the stranger may have had.

If a person was lying at my door parched with thirst, I would give him drink whether he was a believer or Satan himself.
      And if I drove up on a car wreck, I would offer my help without even asking what their religious or political view was.

Showing charity to an unbeliever does not mean that you condone their unbelief.

We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
      They already know monsters exist.
      We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tambora View Post

The story of the good Samaritan would be an example of one showing charity (love) to another without making religious belief a condition to administer charity.
        He saw a person in need, and he gave charity to that person in need without even delving into what religious or political views the stranger may have had.

If a person was lying at my door parched with thirst, I would give him drink whether he was a believer or Satan himself.
        And if I drove up on a car wreck, I would offer my help without even asking what their religious or political view was.

That's right, very good

Comment

Originally posted by Tambora View Post

Sorry I wasn't clearer but I was speaking of other believers there. Feel free to chime in on that one too.
          "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
          Terence Mc Lean

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
          By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Comment

Originally posted by Danoh View Post
            You forget I said that to Jerry as well, may he be well.
            I haven't forgotten. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

Just means "talk to the hand" "get lost with that" "go try it on someone else."
            Well, it must be my problem, then, because "drop dead" sounds like there is some venom in there.

Just means get lost. Besides, if you are right in this mind read of yours would I not be taking your words to me about this personally as well.
            I think you ARE taking what I've said personally, but the "attack" you feel from me has only irked you a little.

I never have, and you know I have continued exchanging with you during our own few rough spots.
            Good, because I'm only speaking up in the hopes you'll not take these things so personally. I enjoy your posts, for the most part, and have to stop short when this stuff creeps in.

But, if that is what you believe, well; you're still fine by me, so have at it, if that makes you happy. A favorite of mine you remain o set in your ways one.

Please, have the last word on me.
            I'm not really that set in my ways, but that little "dig" sorta proves my point, doesn't it?

P.S. You're still fine with me, too, Danoh. I can see how frustrating it can be for all involved. When people start discussing the differences between "at" and "by" and what "fellowship" means in a particular verse, there is an "investment" that most people don't have. I'll leave it at that....

Comment

Originally posted by glorydaz View Post
              I haven't forgotten. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

Well, it must be my problem, then, because "drop dead" sounds like there is some venom in there.

I think you ARE taking what I've said personally, but the "attack" you feel from me has only irked you a little.

Good, because I'm only speaking up in the hopes you'll not take these things so personally. I enjoy your posts, for the most part, and have to stop short when this stuff creeps in.

I'm not really that set in my ways, but that little "dig" sorta proves my point, doesn't it?

P.S. You're still fine with me, too, Danoh. I can see how frustrating it can be for all involved. When people start discussing the differences between "at" and "by" and what "fellowship" means in a particular verse, there is an "investment" that most people don't have. I'll leave it at that....
              I just hope Danoh keeps this incident in mind (and the last one) the next time he's tempted to repeatedly call other believers "carnal" over doctrinal disagreements with him and label them as something he knows they're not.
              Terence Mc Lean

Comment

1 Corinthians 12:13-14 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by musterion View Post
                  I just hope Danoh keeps this incident in mind (and the last one) the next time he's tempted to repeatedly call other believers "carnal" over doctrinal disagreements with him and label them as something he knows they're not.
                  I've never been anything but kind to Danoh...so I don't get it.

Originally posted by Interplanner
                  They can't compete with a real writer and grammar scholar
                  You're too literal to get it.
                  The New Covenant preceded the Old Covenant.

Comment

Once he sees your new pic he will be very kind to you

Comment

Originally posted by Danoh View Post
                      Who do you understand the middle wall of partition was between and on what basis?

For the enmity between God and men was now with both Jew and Gentile, on man's part of the equation...
                      The middle wall of partition:

Acts 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved. 2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.

Acts 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: 14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

Acts 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: 20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Acts 15:27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

It was between the Gentiles to whom Paul was first sent (Greeks) in the Acts period and Gentiles like the Ephesians (to whom Paul wrote the letter/Gentiles such as we) and Colossians to whom Paul was later sent.
                      2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Paul defines the word of truth as the gospel of your salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Ephesians 1:13 KJV). Now, study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed by rightly dividing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Totton Linnet View Post
                        He is our peace who has made both [Jew and Gentiles] one and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us, having abolished in His flesh [by the cross] the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances.
                        still wrong.

It cannot be 1. Jews and 2. Gentiles as Paul was already going to the Jew first AND ALSO TO THE GREEK during his Acts ministry (Greeks are Gentiles). The first group are those to whom Paul was first sent (Acts 26:17), those who were being called at that time (Acts 13:26 KJV, 1 Cor. 1:24 KJV). The Jews AND Greeks are those who "first trusted in Christ" (the body of Christ beginning with the apostle Paul 1 Timothy 1:16 KJV). They are the "them that were nigh" (Ephesians 2:17 KJV). They were aligned with Israel. They HAD A HOPE as per Genesis 12:3 KJV!

It was not until Paul spilled the beans of something that he was holding back on before (2 Corinthians 12:1-6 KJV) and revealed that the Lord was going to send him far hence unto the Gentiles (Acts 22:17-21 KJV) that he became a prisoner of Jesus Christ for YOU GENTILES (Ephesians 3:1 KJV).

It was not known that the grace of God that bringeth salvation would be to ALL MEN (1 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV, Titus 2:11 KJV), including Gentiles like these Ephesians to whom Paul wrote the letter (people like you and me) who in time past were aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world. These were not the Gentiles that Paul was sent to during his Acts ministry. These Gentiles had NOTHING to do with Israel in time past! They had NO HOPE! That's what the scriptures say!
                        2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Paul defines the word of truth as the gospel of your salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Ephesians 1:13 KJV). Now, study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed by rightly dividing it!

Comment

Today could be the day. I'm willing rather to depart and be with the Lord.

Comment

Group One:

Acts 13
                            26 Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent.

Jews and Gentiles who feared the one true God.

Group Two:

Acts 19
                            28 And when they heard these sayings, they were full of wrath, and cried out, saying, Great is Diana of the Ephesians.

Pagan Gentiles.

What separated these two groups during Acts?:

Acts 15
                            19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Commandments contained in ordinances.

Very simple.

During Acts- Paul was sent to Jews/Gentiles in the promises.
                            Post Acts- Paul's message is sent even to Gentiles who were outside the promises.

Amen! Simple stuff, folks! Believe it!

Comment

During Acts, Paul went to the synagogue and reasoned with Jews and Greeks from the prophets.

He could show the God fearing Gentile that they were in line for a blessing, from the prophets.
                              He could show the pagan Gentile only that they were due a curse, from the prophets.

Post Acts, Gen 12:1-3 (KJV) is no longer in play, as Israel is cast away. This levels the field for everyone, including the pagan Gentile.
                              Yes!

Comment

That first assertion is your assertion, based on your obvious, first impression reading of your modern North American (incorrectly informal at that) English sense of words into the KJV's 500 years old, Early Modern English sentence structures. Your view is off.

Comment

Working...
                                X