OK who wants to battle????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I am ready to set up another battle royale.

Who wants to battle?

Who do you want to battle?

And what do you want to battle about?

If you don't know what a Battle Royale is click here.

bibliophile1954

OVER 500 post club
I don't know if this will qualify or not, but how about 'DOES THE MEDIA REALLY AFFECT CHILDREN? I know it isn't theological, but I might be willing to give it a try!

In His Name!
bib:thumb:

ibowatjesusfeet

Cosmic Redneck
I think we should do the evolution v. creationism or creationism (thousands of years) v. creationism (millions of years).

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bibliophile1954
I don't know if this will qualify or not, but how about 'DOES THE MEDIA REALLY AFFECT CHILDREN? I know it isn't theological, but I might be willing to give it a try!

In His Name!

Oooh! That's a good idea, bib! :thumb: I bet you would want to take the same side I would. :D

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by bibliophile1954

In His Name!
Bib can you be a tad more specific?

LostOne96

How about the compositionary nature of the Gospel of John as a heavily edited text? Arguing about the existance of a Signs Gospel and later editings/additions by a Jewish/Christian editor and then later by the Fourth Evangelist.

*ducks behind flame proof shield*

Paradõsis

How about the compositionary nature of the Gospel of John as a heavily edited text?

No no no, I think they want debates where it'd be fun to observe; the theory stated above is too easily disprovable :) Ever read anything by Fr. John Breck? His book Scripture in Tradition does a pretty good job of refuting this position, with the only shortcoming being his (IMO) over-usage of arguments relating to the chiastic literary device (chiasmus).

LostOne96

Paradosis: Too easily disprovable? I don't know how in the world you could believe that the gospel of John today is a coherent single work! Aside from geographic schizophrenia, there is idealogical disparities, linguistic differences, and stylistic shifts throughout.

Ever read Fortna's The Fourth Gospel and its Predecessor? Even without it, it's still possible to discern at least three different authors writing at three different times within the Gospel of John.

1)The Signs Gospel
2)The Jewish Christian Editor
3)The Fourth Evangelist (often called the Ecclesiastical Redactor)

Within the first chapter, there is enough evidence to say that there is more than one mind at work, or at least to suggest that, if there is only one author to the entire text, he's a terrible writer.

Paradõsis

I don't know how in the world you could believe that the gospel of John today is a coherent single work!

Because the god-bearing saints of the Church did, and they passed on the apostolic tradition down to me (as unworthy as I am). If I have to choose between them and modern scholarship which makes mountains out of molehills (e.g., ooooh look! he used a different word, this must be a different author!), I'll go with the members of the theanthropic body of Christ, the saints of God :)

LostOne96

So, you're refutation to the argument is . . . because my daddy told you?

Did it not ever occur to you to criticaly examine that which you accept as doctrinal? After all, questioning tradition (your defense for your own view of the unified Gospel of John theory) is what led to the protestant reformation and made your own religion possible.

Blind faith without the research to back it up (and obviously you haven't done any research because you don't know about the drastic differences among the three possible authors) is about is silly as those who refuse to read the Bible on the grounds that it is just a bunch of fairy tales.

EDIT: Just because I'm a bit of a masichist, I'm going to include here a link to Fortna's reconstructed "Signs Gospel."

Signs Gospel

There is also a lot of other information on the same page here .

Read and enjoy.:)

Last edited:

temple2006

Paradosis...(as unworthy as I am).

What drives you to be so self-deprecating. That is totally unnecessary and very wrong.

Aimiel

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Re: OK who wants to battle????

Re: Re: OK who wants to battle????

Originally posted by famousGandalf7
Cool.I do, I do.NuMessJew.Who is Jesus? Is He the Messiah prophecied in the Torah? If He is supposed to come back, when? Where is He?
I will consider this!

Does NuMessJew want to battle?

Aimiel

The proverbial wild horses couldn't drag him away from this one.

The proverbial wild horses couldn't drag him away from this one.

Or, so methinks.

ATAT

jjjg, how about with me?

I'm an Orthodox Jew, and Jesus never said you have to:

Believe he is God who died on the cross as your sin atonement sacrifice.

He DID say you have to forgive others to be forgiven. If you don't forgive others, you won't.

According to the NT.

ATAT8080@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.