This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK who wants to battle????

I am ready to set up another battle royale.

Who wants to battle?

Who do you want to battle?

And what do you want to battle about?

If you don't know what a Battle Royale is click here.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Bump.

Comment

I don't know if this will qualify or not, but how about 'DOES THE MEDIA REALLY AFFECT CHILDREN? I know it isn't theological, but I might be willing to give it a try!

In His Name!
      bib

Comment

I think we should do the evolution v. creationism or creationism (thousands of years) v. creationism (millions of years).

Millions of Galaxies, Billions of Stars, Trillions of Planets yet Jesus Christ died on this one for YOU!

-Grace and Peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ-

JCIMG--Jesus Christ Is My God

Comment

Originally posted by bibliophile1954
          I don't know if this will qualify or not, but how about 'DOES THE MEDIA REALLY AFFECT CHILDREN? I know it isn't theological, but I might be willing to give it a try!

In His Name!
          bib
          Oooh! That's a good idea, bib! I bet you would want to take the same side I would.
          They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as eagles. -- Isaiah 40:31

Vegetarian - Indian word for lousy hunter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bibliophile1954

In His Name!
            bib
            Bib can you be a tad more specific?

Comment

How about violence in the media? That's a hot topic now-a-days.

Millions of Galaxies, Billions of Stars, Trillions of Planets yet Jesus Christ died on this one for YOU!

-Grace and Peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ-

JCIMG--Jesus Christ Is My God

Comment

How about the compositionary nature of the Gospel of John as a heavily edited text? Arguing about the existance of a Signs Gospel and later editings/additions by a Jewish/Christian editor and then later by the Fourth Evangelist.

*ducks behind flame proof shield*

Comment

How about the compositionary nature of the Gospel of John as a heavily edited text?
                  No no no, I think they want debates where it'd be fun to observe; the theory stated above is too easily disprovable Ever read anything by Fr. John Breck? His book Scripture in Tradition does a pretty good job of refuting this position, with the only shortcoming being his (IMO) over-usage of arguments relating to the chiastic literary device (chiasmus).

"A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Paradosis: Too easily disprovable? I don't know how in the world you could believe that the gospel of John today is a coherent single work! Aside from geographic schizophrenia, there is idealogical disparities, linguistic differences, and stylistic shifts throughout.

Ever read Fortna's The Fourth Gospel and its Predecessor? Even without it, it's still possible to discern at least three different authors writing at three different times within the Gospel of John.

1)The Signs Gospel
                    2)The Jewish Christian Editor
                    3)The Fourth Evangelist (often called the Ecclesiastical Redactor)

Within the first chapter, there is enough evidence to say that there is more than one mind at work, or at least to suggest that, if there is only one author to the entire text, he's a terrible writer.

Comment

I don't know how in the world you could believe that the gospel of John today is a coherent single work!
                      Because the god-bearing saints of the Church did, and they passed on the apostolic tradition down to me (as unworthy as I am). If I have to choose between them and modern scholarship which makes mountains out of molehills (e.g., ooooh look! he used a different word, this must be a different author!), I'll go with the members of the theanthropic body of Christ, the saints of God

"A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants." - Schopenhauer

Comment

So, you're refutation to the argument is . . . because my daddy told you?

Did it not ever occur to you to criticaly examine that which you accept as doctrinal? After all, questioning tradition (your defense for your own view of the unified Gospel of John theory) is what led to the protestant reformation and made your own religion possible.

Blind faith without the research to back it up (and obviously you haven't done any research because you don't know about the drastic differences among the three possible authors) is about is silly as those who refuse to read the Bible on the grounds that it is just a bunch of fairy tales.

EDIT: Just because I'm a bit of a masichist, I'm going to include here a link to Fortna's reconstructed "Signs Gospel."

Signs Gospel

There is also a lot of other information on the same page here .

Read and enjoy.
                        Last edited by LostOne96; April 22nd, 2003, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Paradosis...(as unworthy as I am).

What drives you to be so self-deprecating. That is totally unnecessary and very wrong.

Comment

Your silence speaks volumes.

Comment

Re: OK who wants to battle????

Originally posted by Knight (Administrator)
                              I am ready to set up another battle royale.
                              Cool.
                              Who wants to battle?
                              I do, I do.
                              Who do you want to battle?
                              NuMessJew.
                              And what do you want to battle about?
                              Who is Jesus? Is He the Messiah prophecied in the Torah? If He is supposed to come back, when? Where is He?
                              If you don't know what a Battle Royale is click here.
                              "That man of sin must first be revealed." -- Jesus

If you haven't tried: you've already failed. -- Aimiel

Comment

Working...
                              X