Battle Royale X Critique thread - Does God Know Your Entire Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I have to agree with novice on this one. This is at least the second time the Dr. Lamerson has attempted to reset the debate by insisting that his argument has not been responded too. I really don't get it.
Could it be that the Dr. really doesn't understand the substance of what Bob has said?
Perhaps so.
Oh well. That’s all the better for Bob really. It gives him another 6000 words to establish his argument for the audience using the remaining material that the Dr. is obviously not going to let go as having been responded to until Bob addresses it directly.
Either that or Bob could take the Dr. up on his challenge and win the debate without the needless repetition. I hope that this does not happen but that's just because I love reading Bob's material on the subject. Regardless of what Bob does with this challenge he as at minimum won round 4 already.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

elected4ever

Clete said:
I have to agree with novice on this one. This is at least the second time the Dr. Lamerson has attempted to reset the debate by insisting that his argument has not been responded too. I really don't get it.
Could it be that the Dr. really doesn't understand the substance of what Bob has said?
Perhaps so.
Oh well. That’s all the better for Bob really. It gives him another 6000 words to establish his argument for the audience using the remaining material that the Dr. is obviously not going to let go as having been responded to until Bob address it directly.
Either that or Bob could take the Dr. up on his challenge and win the debate without the needless repetition. I hope that this does not happen but that's just because I love reading Bob's material on the subject. Regardless of what Bob does with this challenge he as at minimum won round 4 already.

Resting in Him,
Clete
I went back and reread the post. I must have just skimmed over it. I made a mistake. Mr Enyart did address the issues of my concern. I apologize for my misstatements. I'll pay better attention next time.

Z Man

Sam only gave Bob what he asked for. Bob does not believe a debate should be held by the traditional arguement-then-respond way. Rather, Bob made it clear that if Sam wanted him to answer his arguments, Sam should put them in questions.

Sam's 4th post is clear and concise. It's straight to the point of this debate, again. He has not confused anything about what his argument is about. Sam has clearly brought forth convincing arguments for his case that God does know the future by presenting 3 proofs from Scripture. I have yet to see Bob directly confront them. In all of Bob's post, he has done nothing but argue a case against the Settled view. That's not what this topic is about! I feel that Bob has ignored Sam, and has been talking, instead, to the audience.

Sam's post is stripped to the bare minimum to rid the debate of as much 'murky water' as possible. He has gotten directly to the heart of this topic. It will be interesting to see Bob's reponse. Will he finally follow Sam's lead, or again, ignore the topic and continue to explain to us why the Settled view is wrong?

Livewire

I was very disappointed in Dr. Lamerson's post. I found it to be almost childish at times in the way he insists that Bob hasn't explained what he meant by utter immutibility and in his suggestion to end the debate. In suggesting that if he decides to go on it will only mean that Bob must not really feel he won the debate seems to be a shallow way of setting Bob up to look bad either way he goes. I find this very unfair.

Concerning utter immutability.

It should be obvious what it means but Bob went the extra mile with the following:

Bob Enyart said:
Regarding a clarification for immutibility, the word utter is the clarification! Immutability means unchangeable, and utter immutability means unchangeable in any respect (in being, in relationship, in any way).

To suggest that he's still not clear as to what Bob means by utter immutability after such a detailed explanation was given, causes one to think that Dr. Lamerson is trying to avoid answering the question.

If Dr. Lamerson said to his children, "I expect utter obedience and respect this house" I doubt that he would accept his children saying that they just couldn't comply with this without knowing exactly what he meant by "utter respect and obedience".

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Yikes, do I smell a repeat of Battle Royal VII? Is Sam going to pull a Zakath?

For me, I hope that you do not, Sam. The debate had been very informative and I would love to see you stick it out to the end. But, I’m getting worried, I mean how many times do you try and get Bob to quit?
Here is my challenge to Rev. Enyart: If you are really sure that you have already won the debate then let us stop now. I will promote the debate as I have opportunity, you can package and sell the debate as you see fit. Bob, If you really believe the debate is over you should have no problem with this. As a matter of fact I would think that you would jump at this chance particularly with the claims that you make in that last post of yours. So, what about it? Are you that confident that you have finished me off?

If you decide to continue on, you must not be quite as confident as your last post claims.

At any rate here is the first challenge. If Bob really believes that he has won the debate he should have no problem ending the debate here. If he continues, it is evident that he does not believe that he has won.

Boy, it really sounds like you want it to end here and now. Instead of just trying to get Bob to stop now, why don’t you try and answer his statements, that’s how debates usually work.

And as for your accusing Bob of just trying to “win” the debate, come on, now. Bob has shown how your argument is contradictory and wrong, judged on your own words and arguements.

I fail to see why Calvinists can’t stick to their stated position and be brave enough to call it what, and how, it is.

With all respect, Sam, you have tried to play both sides of the settled view in this debate, switching from foreordination to simple foreknowledge at will (no pun intended). Why not have the guts to stand up and say that God makes everything happen every time, period. After all if there are no maverick molecules, then there can certainly be no maverick actions or even thoughts of humans. So, while you say that you are apprehensive about your daughter going to college, but that you shouldn’t be since you know that God will protect her, you scream your contradictions with every word. Because in your real worldview, you aren’t apprehensive at all, it’s just God’s finger moving your synapses to create a feeling that He is directing. And if she is safe or harmed, either one, it is completely God’s doing. Not hers, not yours, not the thug who steals her purse, but ultimately just God’s. And you can’t get upset at all about what I’m writing because this is just God moving my thoughts and fingers to say these things. In fact from your theology one must state that that we are like a population of God’s toys—GI-Joes and Barbies, that God moves around and speaks through their mouths for His amusement (I’m sorry, I mean His Glory).

That is your true belief about the God of the universe, isn’t it? So why not admit it? Because it is too terrible for even you to really allow it to sink into your consciousness. Because it is an affront to what the Bible reveals the real Living God’s attributes and character to be.

Sam, Bob asked if you could show how scripture could falsify the settled view, and you completely evaded the question. I can not believe you didn’t understand it, he stated it quite plainly, however if you did misunderstand this then you are not giving enough attention to this discussion. All you would have had to of said is something like: “Yes, the settled view could be shown to be proven wrong if a scripture clearly showed that God changed His mind/or/ if the scripture clearly showed an instance of God as having been wrong in an assumption or thought.” Of course you can’t do that, can you? Because if you show any criteria where scripture could prove the settled view to be wrong, you are afraid that Bob will show you scripture saying just that. Instead you totally obfuscate by stating that you don’t think that the three examples Bob gave are the only ones (hint: neither does Bob, but three examples is plenty, why won’t you give even one?). Sad.

Then:
BEQ12: Are foreordination and foreknowledge the same thing?

SLA-BEQ12-I agree with the Westminster Confession here.

The Westminster Confession states it this way: III.1 “God, from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass: yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures, nor is liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.”

Are you really so afraid to just say, “Yes” or “No”? It is apparent that you are. Instead you have to state that you agree with an obviously contradictory view that someone else has postulated for your answer. You could have just said, “No, Bob, they are not. Foreordination means making things happen before they happen, and Foreknowledge means just knowing what is going to happen before it happens.” Wow, that was easy. Maybe you should try that approach once in awhile.

SLA-BEQ16-No. God cannot divest himself of any of his attributes, therefore the Son did not divest himself of knowledge or power.
Hmmm, what about this verse?
Luke 2:52And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Great, a real answer. Oh man are you going to get clobbered now. I shudder to think of the uppercut Bob is swinging even as I type this. Maybe I was wrong and you should just go back to ducking the questions.

Here’s a little jab.

So, little baby Jesus already knew, at His birth, or rather at His conception, all the future and all the past. Hmmm.
Luke 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Sam, I really wish you would try and give yes and no answers more often (as you just did on this last question), please feel free to explain and expound on them after that, but at least let us know what your answer is instead of just obfuscating so often.

I will pray for both sides in this debate that you both may be humble and seek what is really the truth, rather than just a win.

JanowJ

A few observations:
I think Bob was a little premature in delarin victory, although I understand his reasoning. And, of course Dr. Lamerson was using the same type of response to Bob by declaring that if Bob continues he doesn't really believe he won the debate. Nothing like a little grandstanding to make things interesting.
Now, the important point. I think Bob did us all a favor in his last post, and Dr. Lamerson also did us a favor in his reply. By asking Dr. Lamerson to specifically ask the questions in the numbered sequence, and Dr. Lamerson specifically doing so, we know have more clarity as to what the focus is on. All of the other extraneous stuff can be pushed out of the way. I think this will only make for a better and clearer debate.
Thanks to both participants for there efforts.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
I think that everyone should be able to tell from the demeanor of this post, that this Dr. Lamerson, is a good and decent man. He is trying to keep to the main goal that he stated in his first post! He wants the truth of God to win out, and for God to be glorified!
I think it was correct of him to point out that winning a debate is not his main goal, and if it was Bob's goal, then he need not respond anymore since he has declared himself the victor!
I personally think that Bob has won one of the three rounds, and should easily win this one to tie it up. That is, if we were scoring this debate, in a more traditional style, by traditional rules.
The reason that Bob should win this one is because Dr. Sam had to reset the debate and reframe it so that we could answer the question of this debate. Does God know our entire future? I applaud him for refocusing the debate on the topic at hand and hope that Bob will attempt to as well. He has in effect forfeited this round so that future rounds can center around each sides three strongest scriptural arguments. I think that is an excellent plan and I hope that the self declared victor, can now easily afford to join in this challenge, since he has nothing further to lose.
Along those lines my personal three greatest problem passages in regard to God,s omniscience are: 1. Satan and God's "wager" concerning Job! If I "know" that God knows the future, why doesn't Satan? 2. God's genuine sorrow and repentance over having created man. 3. God saying that he was not completely sure that Abraham feared God until He had him put to the test.

Sam has already chosen his three?, and I do not accept Bob's answer to the Judas betrayal as overly convincing. Neither did I find the thrice denial of Peter formidably answered.
Again I will restate what the Dr. said in his second ?post. The problems raised by the open view are greater than the answers given. How can we be assured that the uncontrolled free will choices of the created beings, will not someday "catch" God by surprise, and lead to the victory of evil over God. {Afterall that would truly be an "open" and "unsettled" future.}

Personally I think it has a lot to do with God denying Man access to the tree of life after having eaten of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. I think that the tree of life had more to do with man attaining the omni's of God, rather than "just" an immortal body.
Perhaps toward the latter rounds the debaters could speculate about the nature of an eternal being and-or, a Being outside of time.

Last edited:

RightIdea

First of all, I agree with some other posters that the two combatants need to let go of a lot of this whiny, accusatory blather and focus more on the debate. I hope that Bob, in his next post, will make a quick comment to that effect and then get straight to the issues. They both have limited space here, and at this point, too much space is being wasted arguing about who broke what rules and yadda yadda yadda. That's the job of the mod, not the combatants.

That said, let's get to bidness...

SLam complains again that Bob hasn't answered his arguments (comprised of the aforementioned 61 questions), and yet he's not going to give Bob the proposed 7 day period to answer them. Well, that's a nice kettle of fish. I realize the doctor has his own more concrete restraints in his life, and I respect that. But then don't complain about Bob not answering every specific argument with an individual, distinct response for each and every one. Some responses must span multiple arguments, and Bob has already said more than once that his Judas response applies to the Peter issue and numerous other arguments that SLam produced in the very first post! Those arguments have been answered. Don't like the answer? Big surprise; you're a Calvinist and he's Open. LOL But, Sam, Bob did respond. Disagree with his response, but don't pretend it isn't there. We all read it.

So, since SLam isn't going to make any new arguments (which I don't really mind, personally), he only responds to Bob's questions.

BEQ1: The "utter immutability" question. SLam somehow thinks that this phrase or term is not self-defining? How on earth is this not self-defining? It is UTTER immutability, Sam. Bob obviously isn't telling you to speak or "utter" the word "immutability," so that's ruled out, leaving only one possibility -- total and absolute immutability. There are indeed many Calvinists, including theologians, who hold to a total and absolute immutability of God. I've personally spoken with some of them, people who claim God experiences no emotion at all, does not love of have joy or feel emotional pain or anything else, that He is like a giant block of granite and everything bounces off of him, affected by Him but having no effect on Him. Bob wants to know if you believe that definition should be redefined so as to allow for relationality. This is the easiest and most straightforward question Bob has put to you in this entire debate up to this point. For you to say that the term is "not self-defining" is ridiculous, with all due respect, sir. The term is "utterly" self-defining.

SLA-BEQ9: SLam thinks that the concept of a "timeless" God needs to be redefined or updated. Nice! I think the atemporal God concept is preposterous on its face, totally fallacious, and its logical conclusion is either deism or Process Theology.

SLA-BEQ11: SLam makes an intriguing challenge, one that could change the tone of the debate from here on out if Bob accepts. However, I don't know if Bob should or not. I dont' say that out of fear, but out of genuine concern for hermeneutical approach, and here's why.

Giving just small snippets of scripture is usually a bad idea (it's called "proof-texting"), but in the issue of God's foreknowledge it's even more problematic because this issue requires looking over large passages and multiple passages just on single questions, tying multiple chapters and evne multiple books together to show context. So, to ask Bob to just throw out three snippets for the doctor to prove wrong... I don't know. I'm on the fence as to whether he should take that challenge. I think he can do it, so long as it's understood they can both go anywhere outside that passage to back up that passage. Taking the passage itself strictly without any other support is a big no-no.

If Bob is interested in the possibility, I strongly suggest the two of them discuss the rules for such a proposed challenge OUTSIDE the debate forum, so as not to waste any time or writing space. I hope this can be facilitated as it would be in everyone's best interest.

Bob asked: BEQ12: Are foreordination and foreknowledge the same thing?

Sam answered with the Westminster Confession, an opinion voted upon by democratic process by a bunch of fallible and very dead men who aren't here to discuss this with us. Not only is this a cop-out, but it didn't directly answer the question. Yes, Sam, we know you believe God foreordained everything before creation. But Bob asked you if foreordination and foreknowledge are the same thing. You didn't answer that.

BEQ13: Is my conclusion above (from FDR) true that, “prophecies of future events do not inherently provide evidence of foreknowledge?”

SLA-BEQ13-Not if the prophecies are known by God without possibility for error. That is if they must come to pass exactly as expected without any chance for change or error.
Another cop-out. Didn't directly answer the question. Bob provided an example of a "prophecy" that came true, given by someone who obviously doesn't have EDF. Why can't Sam concede logically that just because someone says something will happen and it comes true... doesn't mean they had EDF? This should be obvious to anyone? No need to tap dance or cop-out. We all know it, just agree so we can move on.

BEQ14: Is it theoretically possible for God to know something future because He plans to use His abilities to bring it about, rather than strictly because He foresees it?

SLA-BEQ14-There is a logical problem here. I am not sure that one can separate the two. Specifically, if a perfect being who is incapable of holding a false belief foresees something, that event must come to pass regardless of who causes it.
Yet another cop-out. The commonly-used Michael Jordan analogy obviously applies here. Jordan can obviously know for certain that he'll beat a 10-year-old in a one-on-one match on the court. He knows this not because he has EDF but because he has the power to bring it about. This proposition is entirely valid. He can prophecy the outcome of the match with "utter" accuracy.

(Personally, I prefer the analogy of Neil Young. If Young enters into a singing contest with an untrained, tone-deaf stutterer with a strong German accent, clearly the outcome is "utterly" predictable, and I wouldn't need EDF to predict that perfectly. It's obvious that Neil Young would lose such a contest every time, simply because his opponent would have the greater skill and natural ability. But just because I can predict it for certain doesn't mean I have EDF.)

Bob asks if NOAH is a clear and specific hermeneutical method regarding God's foreknowledge. Sam cops out yet again by writing:

"SLA-BEQ15-No. This is not a clear and specific method of interpretation. I asked in my second post about how this interprets God’s command to Joshua to kill women and children in the battle of Jericho. I have not seen an answer. This method assumes the very question that is open for debate by rejecting the attribute of omniscience."

Jericho? What on earth does that passage have to do with God's foreknowledge??? That's an issue of theodicy, not foreknowledge! Talk about going off topic! LOL Where did that come from? This qualifies as a bona fide non sequitor.

Bob asks Sam to concede that the Son divested Himself of the omnis during the incarnation. Amazingly, Sam denies it! He denies the Kenotic view! Wow, how is he going to defend that? I gotta see this... Oops, wait. Sam doesn't bother to actually explain why he denies this. He doesn't try the least bit to respond to Bob's argument. He wastes an entire 96 hours by simply denying it and then moving on to the next question. Sam, surely you can foresee that you'll have to explain this??? What are you thinking? You know you'll have to delve into this; why are you forcing everyone to wait a full round before doing so? Big waste of time. I'm very disappointed, Dr. Lamerson. I know you're better than that. (And that's intended as a compliment, not an insult.)

Finally, Sam gets to his own questions... after copping out, ignoring or sidestepping all of Bob's.

SLQ8 - This tired old question? It's obvious on its face that the presentist view answers this passage. One of the all-time weakest passages for supporting EDF. Asked and already answered.

SLQ9 - The Peter thing again. Asked and answered, but I'm sure Bob can cover it again if SLam needs.

SLQ10 - Decent question, I look forward to Bob's response. If he's in error, I trust he'll say so; he's an honorable man. We'll see.

SLQ-11 - "Would you please respond specifically to the exegesis showing that Jesus based proof of his deity on the correct prediction about Judas?" Another fair question, I look forward to Bob's response.

SLQ12 - "Would you please respond specifically to the exegesis showing that Judas did not have the ability to choose otherwise, particularly the exegesis found in Post III." -- Fair question, look forward to Bob's response.

SLQ13 - "Would you agree that if Peter and/or Judas did not have the ability to choose otherwise then your definition of free will (or will as you put it) is flawed? If not, why not?" Bob has already answered this. Even if both Peter's and Judas' free wills were interfered with and overpowered in these specific situations, it doesn't prove SLam's case the least bit! Bob has already pointed out that we agree God sometimes supercedes the free will of some people. If SLam wants to go this route, he'd have to prove every action in the entire Bible is the same, on a case-by-case basis, which he obviously cannot. He's trying desperatel to prove something the Open View freely concedes! ... So what?

SLQ14 - "Would you explain (given your response in Post II) how it is possible for Jesus (whom we both agree is God) to be wrong and yet for God to hold no false beliefs?" Good question and I know Bob has a great answer.

Nice conclusion. 'Nuff said!

theo_victis

I think a lot of the debate is being refocused. I didnt like the fact that Enyart did what he did in round 1 by posting an almost stand alone post with little rejoinder (dont get me wrong though, i loved the arguments, just they were not in conjunction with Sam whom he is debating). I would have loved to have seen Enyart analyze and respond to Sam's opening post back in round 1 because after i have spent a few hours carefully looking through his post it is apparent to me that Sam set up how his argument would unfold:

First, Jesus is, in the words of John Sanders, “the ultimate anthropomorphism.” Thus an attempt to determine Jesus’ view of his own, and his Father’s foreknowledge is very important for this debate.

So Sam was looking to prove foreknowledge by demonstrating Jesus' foreknowledge and his Father's foreknowledge (atleast that was part of the plan). He obviously was obstructed by Enyart's first post that truly did not seek to look forward to these claims but rather (amazingly i will add) refute the Settled View on his own accord. That is where Sam became less than hesitant to point out common debate rules. Niether really obeyed the rules that were actually set forth before the coin toss. After reviewing much of this debate i am a little distraught over the fact that the debate has flipped sides and now Enyart has forced Sam to refute Enyart's posts rather than Sam's posts be refuted by Enyart. And what i mean by refute is not a stand alone refutation of the Settled view but rather the refutation of the pressupositions that Sam carries in his ideas about the Settled view that have been or were trying to have been laid out for possible rejoinder.

I am most pleased now, having seen how this debate has gone, with Sam's last post. His post was great for redirecting us to the present task. I hope that his arguments that he has carefully proposed may be laid out for i beleive that they are something of interest. Maybe Enyart will allow Sam to propose his view on the Settled View more thoroughly then just one post. I really like Sam's last post! Less jargon than what has been seen!

Overall what i would like to see in this debate is Sam developing more of his arguments and Enyart carefully critiquing them and then throwing back his own arguments that Sam could critique. That is just my take. Maybe i am wrong.

mamatuzzo

Who Was The Worse Sinner:

Who Was The Worse Sinner:

Who was the worse sinner?????

While I am quite certain that Dr. Lamerson loves all his children, I would love to know if he believes God gives his children special protection? I am saddened by the fact that Dr. Lamerson did not mention Brian Rohrbough's message. I would love to hear the answer to this question. Is the Rohrbough family somehow worse sinners than the Lamerson's? Is this possible? Jesus asked that very same question. Why is it that most Christians that I personally know that hold the Settled View seldom live their life like they believe it???

In His Service,

Michael Amatuzzo

elected4ever

theo_victis said:
I think a lot of the debate is being refocused. I didnt like the fact that Enyart did what he did in round 1 by posting an almost stand alone post with little rejoinder (dont get me wrong though, i loved the arguments, just they were not in conjunction with Sam whom he is debating). I would have loved to have seen Enyart analyze and respond to Sam's opening post back in round 1 because after i have spent a few hours carefully looking through his post it is apparent to me that Sam set up how his argument would unfold:

So Sam was looking to prove foreknowledge by demonstrating Jesus' foreknowledge and his Father's foreknowledge (atleast that was part of the plan). He obviously was obstructed by Enyart's first post that truly did not seek to look forward to these claims but rather (amazingly i will add) refute the Settled View on his own accord. That is where Sam became less than hesitant to point out common debate rules. Niether really obeyed the rules that were actually set forth before the coin toss. After reviewing much of this debate i am a little distraught over the fact that the debate has flipped sides and now Enyart has forced Sam to refute Enyart's posts rather than Sam's posts be refuted by Enyart. And what i mean by refute is not a stand alone refutation of the Settled view but rather the refutation of the pressupositions that Sam carries in his ideas about the Settled view that have been or were trying to have been laid out for possible rejoinder.

I am most pleased now, having seen how this debate has gone, with Sam's last post. His post was great for redirecting us to the present task. I hope that his arguments that he has carefully proposed may be laid out for i beleive that they are something of interest. Maybe Enyart will allow Sam to propose his view on the Settled View more thoroughly then just one post. I really like Sam's last post! Less jargon than what has been seen!

Overall what i would like to see in this debate is Sam developing more of his arguments and Enyart carefully critiquing them and then throwing back his own arguments that Sam could critique. That is just my take. Maybe i am wrong.
I think this is what through me off in the first place. Although Bob did address some of Dr. Lamerson's subject matter, he did so from an entirely different venue making it a stand alone post. This is Bob's way of high jacking the discussion and turning the advantage to himself. He cannot be accused of ignoring the subject matter but he now defines the terms of how that subject matter will be discussed. Bob is quite adapt at this. Control then goes to Bob. Bob then defines the argument.

RightIdea

Btw, forgot to cover Lamerson's proposition of ending the debate because of Bob's declaration of victory. Apparently, Bob did't read everything Bob has said about that, because Bob pointed out that while this was the defining moment that assured victory, it still must be played out to the end.

In WWII, the Battle of Midway won our war against Japan. We never won a major battle before that point, and we never lost a major battle afterwards. But that doesn't mean that either side was going to stop. It had to be played out to its natural conclusion, in order to show that the war indeed was won by us at that point.

Such is the case with this debate, and that's what Bob was driving at. He was making a prediction based on that post. What Bob probably didn't count on (and which I pointed out before Sam's latest post) was that Bob appears to have assumed Sam is kenotic. Turns out he is not, and that complicates matters. (How anyone can not be kenotic is beyond me, but plenty of folks are.)

So, this debate will go on. No one's going to end this here. Lamerson's suggestion is a bit silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

genuineoriginal

Samuel Lamerson said:
I see now one of the strategic errors that I have made. I was using a formal understanding of what constitutes a debate (a disciplined discussion in which arguments are answered and/or extended upon). Bob on the other hand sees the debater as only needing to answer the questions of the opposition, rather than the arguments and then only when he gets to them and feels them worthy of his attention.

As of now, I will make sure that I place any argument that I have in the form of a question and that I make sure to number them in sequence. I will not simply put forth arguments (as I have in every other debate that I have participated in), and expect my opponent to deal with the arguments. In every debate that I have engaged in the cross examination time (questions) were used to clarify arguments, not to make them. That is the reason that I quoted from the textbook (Argumentation and Debate) in the last post. That work is a standard text in college debate classes and is in no way viewed as idiosyncratic in its views. Be that as it may, I will attempt to be clear in what I would like Bob to answer.
I am glad to see that Dr. Lamerson has decided to follow the rules of Battle Royale instead of the Argumentation and Debate textbook rules. He is upset that Bob was able to state his own opening arguments instead of being limited to only responding to Dr. Lamerson's opening arguments, even though the rules stated clearly that the first post by each person was to be their opening arguments.
Knight said:
Once a topic has been chosen (by the ringmaster or moderator) The moderator will choose one of the combatants to post his opening argument (all posts must follow existing TOL guidelines regarding length, language etc.). Then the next combatant will make his opening argument via a post. After that each combatant will take turns responding to each others posts until all rounds in the battle are complete.

I may be reading this debate wrong, but to me Dr. Lamerson appears to be singularly unable to state his position on any part of the debate after his initially clear statement that, "God does indeed know the future actions of free agents".

Dr. Lamerson does not appear to be willing to debate his own position, but instead wants to pit authors and theologians against each other in violation of the Battle Royale rules:
Knight said:
Furthermore.... let's keep in mind that the "BATTLE ROYALE" is a debate between participants at TheologyOnLine, NOT a debate between external authors, or theologians so let's attempt to use external sources sparingly. The obvious exception might be The Bible (Gods true word), due to the fact that many theology debates will be centered around the Bible in the first place.
This is especially true in the confusing response to one of Bob's questions:
Samuel Lamerson said:
BEQ12: Are foreordination and foreknowledge the same thing?

SLA-BEQ12-I agree with the Westminster Confession here.

The Westminster Confession states it this way: III.1 “God, from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass: yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures, nor is liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.”
Really, Dr. Lamerson, I don't believe you could have made a more confusing answer if you tried harder. I understand the first part, God determined everything that will happen and not even He can change it. It is the second part that doesn't make any sense. I have read it again and again, and the double talk still doesn't have any meaning. God predetermined everything, but sin was not predetermined? God ordained everything that will happen but is not taking away free will by doing it? Because God ordered that everything happen the way He said, he is not taking away our freedom to cause those events to happen but is establishing that it is our freedom that causes them to happen? Talk about a non-answer. Where in that confusing mess of verbage does it say whether you believe that forordination and foreknowledge are the same thing?

Is Dr. Lamerson unaware of the special rules for this Battle Royale?
Knight said:
Specific BR X Rules

Rule 1:
Apposite: For Battle Royale X, the debate is about the actual nature of God, and not our perceptions of God. Therefore unless we indicate otherwise, we will focus on God’s nature from His perspective. So if asked a question about God, we will try to not answer from other perspectives, but to the best of our ability, we will respond based upon what we believe of God from His perspective. Apposite means strikingly appropriate and relevant. For example, if asked, “Is God aloof?” we will not answer, “Yes,” if we really don’t believe that He actually is aloof, requiring an unnecessary additional iteration of questioning and clarification, only to later admit to the audience that we actually believe God only “appears” aloof. Never ambiguously confuse actualities with perceptions, and try to avoid unnecessary obfuscation, by focusing on God from His perspective, since that is what this debate is about.
Where is God's perspective in Dr. Lamerson's answers?

I have problems with other non-answers from Dr. Lamerson. I really wanted to read a real answer from him on this question:
Samuel Lamerson said:
BEQ14: Is it theoretically possible for God to know something future because He plans to use His abilities to bring it about, rather than strictly because He foresees it?

SLA-BEQ14-There is a logical problem here. I am not sure that one can separate the two. Specifically, if a perfect being who is incapable of holding a false belief foresees something, that event must come to pass regardless of who causes it.
The question is not a logical problem. It is specifically asking if God can know that something will happen in the future because He is able to make it happen instead of because He looked in a crystal ball and saw it happen.

I would like to see both Dr. Lamerson and Bob Enyart return to the topic of the Battle Royale:
Knight said:
Pastor Bob Enyart of Denver Bible Church and KGOV.com will defend the Open View, that the future is not exhaustively foreknown. Associate Professor of New Testament at Knox Theological Seminar in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, Dr. Samuel Lamerson, will oppose the Open View, and maintain that God has exhaustive knowledge of the future.
I believe that Bob will win this debate because all he has to do is prove that there is even one thing that happened without God knowing about it first, while Dr. Samuel must prove that there is nothing that can happen without God already knowing it will happen.

I think the best passage for showing that God does not have exhaustive knowledge of even current events, much less the future, is this one:
Genesis 18:20And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; 21I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

If God had exhaustive knowledge about the future, He would not have to go down to see if the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah is as bad as He heard, He would have already known.

Shadowx

The pagan Greek culture viewed misfortune (even the word reeks of Hellenism) as being hurled at them by God for inexplicable and often arbitrary reasons. Augustine imported this into Christian theology by way of utter immutability (Arminians please note, as it turns out, this is what demands an entirely settled future). Thus Augustine interpreted his “toothache” (Confessions, 9, iv) as coming from God, rather than from excessive sweets and poor hygiene; whereas for an unfathomable reason, God today desires less glory from cavities from those who floss. And speaking of the Reformed Aristotelian God, though His reasons for having plagued modern sailors with scurvy may elude human comprehension, the use of vitamin C has stopped the practice. For the Greeks thought Zeus threw lightening bolts as divine judgments, and after thousands of years of homes being hit, Benjamin Franklin devised the lightning rod, which has succeeded in foiling the aim of the Calvinist God.
:chuckle:

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
The Saga of Enyart's Fourth Round Posting

The Saga of Enyart's Fourth Round Posting

I want to explain the formatting difficulty with my fourth round post. The TOL user options allow us to select one of three different editors for composing a post. Trying to make a long post look good and readable with indents, etc., and inserting graphics and hyperlinks is EXTREMELY TIME CONSUMING. For me, that has always translated to about two hours of messing with formatting and codes, and then proofreading the post, all as the deadline approaches! So after all the time I wasted posting round three, I switched to TOL’s more powerful editor (wysiwyg, for What you see is what you get). Well, I hear wysiwyg works great for short posts! But apparently, when I copy a 6,000-word post from a Microsoft Word document into the Reply box, bugs appear in the functionality. The formatting was weird, the wysiwyg inserted all kinds of smiley faces (of all things), and weird codes in the post. Well, I fought this for about two hours, editing and constantly previewing (but even just clicking preview would cause the post to revert and again mess up repeatedly fixed parts of the post)! Finally, I decided to re-format the WHOLE post in one pass, and forgo previewing (a TOL no-no except that now, just previewing was repeatedly making things worse), and then pray, and hit the Submit Post button. I didn’t pray hard enough.

Well, it wasn’t too bad, and I still had about ten minutes to go to the deadline. Cheryl and I checked the post on different computers in our home, and we saw that the font was one size larger than the rest of the debate, and there was some weird spacing, but otherwise, it seemed ok!

That’s when the real trouble began. Knight phoned me to say that there were serious formatting problems, strange codes, weird smileys, etc., that appeared to different people using browsers other than Internet Explorer, and so he would go in and try to edit the post as he had also done with Dr. Lamerson’s fourth round post.

Fine. I’m taking my family out for lunch. I’m exhausted.

Well, I’m out in the driveway, and Knight called back. “Bob, there’s a problem. Trying to edit this makes it worse.” (I could of told him that :) ). “Can you switch back to the Standard Editor, and re-format and re-post?” (That’ll only take a couple hours or so, with checking all the formatting, and all.)

“Sure. I’ll just copy the post with the Edit button, and start formatting by hand.”

Knight: Silence. Then: “You can’t do that.”

Bob: “Why not?”

Knight: “Because I just deleted the post… You did save your post right?”

Well, as it turns out, the last 45 minutes of editing and formatting that I was doing on TOL I had not saved. And I’ve recorded all this to say that, over the next two hours, I furiously inserted formatting codes by hand, and tried to bring wording in my older version back up to where the post had been when I posted it. I know that I introduced some extremely minor edits, but ABSOLUTELY CHANGING NO CONTENT. So, if anyone has a copy of my original post (which of course I wanted to REMAIN POSTED), we can compare the two and whatever alterations we find, if Knight wants to change the wording back exactly as it was, that’s wonderful by me.

That’s it. I’m going to have lunch with the family. -Bob

BChristianK

I hope that we will see a greater degree of focus on the following interchange that, as of yet, does not have a great deal of update.

In Post #9 Bob responded…
SLQ7: Does God hold any beliefs that are or might prove to be false?
No. But belief speaks of knowledge. Remember that words have spheres of meaning, and beliefs, expectations, prophecies, and knowledge all have ranges that overlap; and belief also means trust, faith, religion, etc. But to answer, I am using the core meaning of belief for the context of your question. For example, hope is different than knowledge. For knowledge is the correct understanding of raw data, whereas hope is the desire for good which can persevere even against a mountain of foreboding knowledge. Love “hopes all things” (1 Cor. 13:7), while exhaustive foreknowledge cannot. Yet God is love. So when God describes what He hopes or expects that men will do, love influences that expectation. So He hopes for the best (even if that hope is delivered as a threat of destruction). Love can function, and God can hope because the future is Open, whereas the Settled View must wrestle to accommodate biblical expressions of God’s hope.
This might prove to be a problematic answer for Bob and for OV in general if Sam chases after it.

Was it that Jesus hoped Peter would not deny Him that He gave a prophetic statement that he would, in fact, deny Him 3 times?
Was the prediction of the denial of Christ delivered in hope of its invalidity or in confidence of its validity?

What Bob and Sam seem to be butting up against is the rhetorical intent of the prophecy, yet they seem to be doing that by debating whether or not Jesus really knew Peter would deny Him. Sam, of course, is appealing to Jesus’ access to the exhaustive foreknowledge of God and Bob is appealing to a new form of hermeneutic that focuses on God’s desire for repentance over and above His desire for prophetic accuracy.
The key question for this particular issue in my mind, after having read Bob’s last reply is…

Were Jesus words designed to show Peter that He (Christ) was able to foretell the future and as a result was truly God incarnate, the Messiah? How does John 13:18-19 fit in with this as it appears in this Johanine verse that Jesus is staking His reputation (either as God incarnate vis-à-vis ego eimi statements or at the very least as the messiah) on the accuracy of the prediction.

Or were Jesus words to Peter designed to warn Peter that he had a very good chance of denying Him and therefore Jesus was issuing warning to him (Peter) not to do so through a prophetic statement (as seems to be the case with the OV interpretation against Ninevah in the book of Jonah)?

Or was it, as seems to be an OV’ers employ periodically, the fact that when God needs to, He can make exceptions and step in to override free will (either of Peter’s interlocutors, or of the farmer who owns the rooster or of Peter Himself).

If (and it is indeed an ‘if’) Sam can adequately show that Jesus meant His words to be a prophetic prediction of Peter’s denial regardless of His desire that Peter would repent then it is a real problem for Bob because, were Peter to decide to affirm his knowledge of Jesus rather than making denial number 3, everyone may well have been happier for Peter’s repentance but that does not negate the fact that Jesus still would have uttered a false prophecy.

To conclude the Jesus made a false prophecy has some pretty disastrous consequences for the Christian faith given the precedent set by the OT scriptures for the treatment of false prophets.

That being said, Sam’s apparent vacillation on the nature of Christ’s Kenosis in the incarnation is, to borrow a phrase from Tommy Boy, going to leave a mark, a big one, and I think Bob is going to show us all just how big a mark that inconsistency can make…

This is a pretty huge, grand canyon like, gaping hole in Sam’s position and based Bob’s last post. I really don’t think Sam is going to get out of it without eating a fair amount of crow.

Great Debate so far though. Both show themselves to be men of integrity, knowledge and humility.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
e4e, please . . . this thread is for stand alone critiques of the posts being made in BR X. We have deleted almost 20 of your posts in this thread because you are not following the rules.

We want to be as cordial as possible with you but there does come a point when enough is enough. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Wham! Whap! Pow! The blood is flying folks, so keep a towel handy.

Sam looked strong in round three, coming out with jabs and hooks, forcing the fight to Bob, but Bob fought back, slipping in an uppercut that almost put Sam on the canvas. But he was saved by the bell.

As the fourth round started it was obvious that Sam hadn’t had time to recover. he ducked and evaded, trying in vain to slip the massive blows leveled by his opponent. But a right hook clipped his jaw and he had to resort to Rope-A-Dope tactics to try and survive.

Bob feinted left with a quick jab, then caught poor Sam in the ribs with a meaty hook that took his breath away, followed immediately with another right hook slamming against Sam’s head and knocking him to the matt.

It was obvious that Bob smelled blood and was going for the knockout.

The ref gave Sam a standing eight count, checked his eyes and then sent him back into the battle.

Bob rushed in, swinging powerful punches that landed time and again. There was the sound of bones cracking and flesh jarring, and then down went Sam--dowN WENT SAM--DOWN WENT SAM!

The bell rings and the crowed is on its feet, their cacophony thunderous in the Coliseum.

Will Sam make it out for round four? Or is this the end?

Viewing the blood on the pale white canvass, the exhaustion and confusion and damage on the challenger’s face, the concerned look in the eyes of those in his corner, I think it may well be over.

Is the fight of the century finished? Has it ended here at the end of round four? Stay tuned loyal posters and see if the bedraggled fighter can pick himself up and push himself back into the fight. :eek:

novice

Who is the stooge now?
Wow. :BRAVO:

Round 4 was Bob's best round and I had stated earlier on this thread that round 4 wasn't especially strong for Sam.

Round 4 was clearly Bob's.

Bob's section entitled "On How to Make a Rooster Crow" is awesome! It is so easy to follow and understand. And so perfectly illustrates what novice hacks such as myself have tried to express for years.

And by Bob giving a detailed treatment of Jesus prediction of Peters denials simply makes the objection from settled view look so silly! To think that they argue God MUST ordain the future because how else could He be sure a rooster would crow? :ha: Just typing that makes me giggle, how must they feel having to argue it?

Bob ask rhetorically, "Did God predict Israel’s escape through the Red Sea because He just happened to foreknow that it would suddenly part that day?"

Yet rhetorical or not isn't that a fair question?

What God is more powerful? The one who has intervenes in real time in such a majestic way? Or the one who writes the script in every detail and then brags that he knows how the story ends?

Sam. will need to be more responsive to Bob's questions in round 5 since Bob has carefully responded to each and every question Sam has thrown at him.

I truly hope that Sam takes a stab at proposing a falsification for the settled view.

Amazing round for the OV, amazing!

phil121

Thank you

Thank you

Bob and Sam,

Thank you for a very fine round 4. I appreciated the clarity of arguments, which is helping me get a better grasp of the issues that separate the 2 sides. I also appreciated the tone of both posts which seemed to have fewer personal jabs.

Thanks again.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.