Battle Royale VIII applicants wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrimshaw

OK

OK

Hi Knight,

I am a proponent of the closed-view position and would be interested in participating in this BR.

Thanks,
Scrimshaw

Berean Todd

Knight, actually I'm going to withdraw my name from this topic, and hope for taking part in the next BR. I'm retiring, for the time, from debate on this issue here at ToL. I do support anyone who will argue for the closed view, but also offer a caution - many people here at ToL are strict adherants of Mr Enyart, and as such are set in their ways of Open Theism, so it will be nigh-impossible to "win" any votes as to who won the debate, but the closed view does need to be presented so I support and encourage you to go for it if you feel so led.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Berean Todd but also offer a caution - many people here at ToL are strict adherants of Mr Enyart, and as such are set in their ways of Open Theism
Oh please....

You have got to be kidding me Todd!

The open view has no more to do with Bob Enyart than opposing abortion has to do with Bob Enyart.

Bob is an open theist so what? Bob isn't even going to be the opponent in this debate.

If your arguments cannot stand up to the test then your arguments will lose on their own merit or lack thereof.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: OK

Re: OK

Originally posted by Scrimshaw

Hi Knight,

I am a proponent of the closed-view position and would be interested in participating in this BR.

Thanks,
Scrimshaw
OK... great! I will put you on the list! Can you give me a link to any TOL thread where you have argued your side on this topic?

I would like to review your position so we know where you are coming from.

add yasaf

debate

debate

I recommend Clete Pfieffer, for the open view and myself, for what you guys call the closed view. Did you already have somene in mind for the open view?

adajos

For the open view side it would be interesting if you could get Greg Boyd, or one of the people affiliated with his organization Christus Victor ministries. Boyd was a theology professor at Bethel College in St Paul, MN and I had many opportunities to hear him speak. His Open Theism was quite controversial on campus when I attended.

He's a very intelligent man and an extremely passionate and articulate....it'd be cool if him or some other scholarly person would take the Open View side of a Battle Royal.

If anyone is interested in trying to get him his website is www.gregboyd.org

It might be worth a shot. I'd feel sorry for whoever had to debate him, even though I personally am not necessarily a proponent of the Open view.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by adajos

For the open view side it would be interesting if you could get Greg Boyd, or one of the people affiliated with his organization Christus Victor ministries. Boyd was a theology professor at Bethel College in St Paul, MN and I had many opportunities to hear him speak. His Open Theism was quite controversial on campus when I attended.

He's a very intelligent man and an extremely passionate and articulate....it'd be cool if him or some other scholarly person would take the Open View side of a Battle Royal.

If anyone is interested in trying to get him his website is www.gregboyd.org

It might be worth a shot. I'd feel sorry for whoever had to debate him, even though I personally am not necessarily a proponent of the Open view.
Hey adajos do you know the folks at Greg Boyd's website personally?

If so... we would love to be linked in their "other ministries" links section located...

http://www.gregboyd.org/gbfront/index.asp?PageID=542

We at TOL have been defending the open view on the internet since 1996!

Scrimshaw

Re: Re: OK

Originally posted by Knight

OK... great! I will put you on the list! Can you give me a link to any TOL thread where you have argued your side on this topic?

I have not engaged this topic on these forums yet, however, I can offer an overview of my position......

The God of the Bible is described as being infinite, and whose existence transcends the physical properties of the universe. Time is one of the physical properties of matter. Its a physical dimension that directly correlates to a state of matter. Since God transcends matter (and therefore time), his knowledge is unbound by temporal delineations of matter/time (past, present, future). The only thing that delineates the present from the future is a variation in the state of matter. For example, our earth has not yet spun 4.4 degrees, so it is not yet 5pm. But God's existence transcends all states of matter, and therefore, his knowledge of universal events transcends all states of time. This is what "omniscience" means. Consequently, God possesses knowledge of everything we call "future" events. There is nothing that has ever occurred in this universe that God didn't know would happen. If God's state of knowledge ever changed, he would be a temporal being whose state of existence is in some way subject to the state of matter. (Since time is a variable that is directly attached to matter) If this were so, this obviously would demote God's sovereignty, and make God's knowledge (and therefore divine attributes) subordinate to the universe. But if any aspect of God's being (such as his knowledge) is subordinate to something else (such as the state of matter/time), then God cannot be considered all-knowing, all-powerful, or immutable.

Open theism relegates God to a mutable, temporal being whose knowledge is in some way bound to the dictates of time/matter, which means he could not accurately possess the characteristics described in the Bible. (ie, Open theism contradicts James 1:17.)

There is much more I could say, but I think this is enough information to give you a general overview of the position I would be representing.

Thanks,
Scrim

Last edited:

Berean Todd

Originally posted by Knight

Knight, there is a reason that 4 out of 5 theologians strongly reject open theism, and probably at least 3 out of 5 serious Christian posters here are adherants to it. You can chalk it up to whatever you want, but the strict adherance to Mr Enyart and his book "the Plot" comes up over and again from your side of the debate here, so I do see it as a major factor in the belief patterns here.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: OK

Re: Re: Re: OK

Originally posted by Berean Todd

...the strict adherance to Mr Enyart and his book "the Plot" comes up over and again from your side of the debate here...
A lot of times, it's those on the other side who bring up Enyart and "the Plot."

IYGTTUAS

Knight....I might be able to get a really big name for the closed view side of this debate. I would really appreciate it if you could hold the spot open until I get this person's response. It will be a surprise...:D

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Re: debate

Re: debate

Originally posted by add yasaf

I recommend Clete Pfieffer, for the open view and myself, for what you guys call the closed view. Did you already have somene in mind for the open view?

Originally posted by Turbo
Clete is awesome on this topic!

While I very much appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm not sure that I'm qualified for such a debate. I basically consider myself just a hack and have zero formal education or training.

add yasaf

premature

premature

IYGTTUAS quote - Knight....I might be able to get a really big name for the closed view side of this debate. I would really appreciate it if you could hold the spot open until I get this person's response. It will be a surprise...

I would like to be informed of that decision. Why? Because I have read most of the closed views theologies. More than closed viewers do. And I know which ones would be or would not be good. For instance, any Calvinist would not as good as Arminians on the subject, simply because they will end up with the answer that it all is a mystery a lot more prematurely then an Arminian would.

Not that mystery is a bad thing, but every one I have read, simply ignore obvious verses in the Bible. One of the reasons I am an Arminian is because I feel it does the best justice to all of Scripture, and feels no complusion to hide behind certain texts, and ignore other ones. I can deal with Acts 13:48 as well as I can deal with I John 2:2 which supports an Arminiain understanding.

adajos

Knight

Hey adajos do you know the folks at Greg Boyd's website personally?

If so... we would love to be linked in their "other ministries" links section located...

http://www.gregboyd.org/gbfront/index.asp?PageID=542

We at TOL have been defending the open view on the internet since 1996!

No I'm afraid I don't know them (or Greg) personally--I was never lucky enough to have a class with him, although I attended many a chapel service as well as quite a few of his church services.

I'd suggest going to http://www.gregboyd.org/gbfront/index.asp?PageID=260
and having a look at the two email addresses that are provided for contact info. Through them you may be able to get TOL added to their links page, and possibly entice Greg or somebody else to argue for the open view in a Battle Royale.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by IYGTTUAS

Knight....I might be able to get a really big name for the closed view side of this debate. I would really appreciate it if you could hold the spot open until I get this person's response. It will be a surprise...:D
Sweet!

When will you know?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: premature

Re: premature

IYGTTUAS quote - Knight....I might be able to get a really big name for the closed view side of this debate. I would really appreciate it if you could hold the spot open until I get this person's response. It will be a surprise...
Well, have you found out yet? huh, huh, huh?? Well, have ya?:D
You got me in suspense. :think:

add yasaf

huh

huh

Uh Poly, that wasn't me, that was IGGY.

You don't need a big name, just one who knows all sides, in which I qualify. Calvinists, esp, look at Arminianism and Open Theism as a joke, and don't even bother to study their take on everything, so most of them are very ill-equipped to deal with it.

LightSon

Re: huh

Uh Poly, that wasn't me, that was IGGY.

You don't need a big name, just one who knows all sides, in which I qualify. Calvinists, esp, look at Arminianism and Open Theism as a joke, and don't even bother to study their take on everything, so most of them are very ill-equipped to deal with it.

Calvinists have not cornered the market on being closed minded, entrenched and prejudiced.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

You don't need a big name, just one who knows all sides, in which I qualify. Calvinists, esp, look at Armenianism and Open Theism as a joke, and don't even bother to study their take on everything, so most of them are very ill-equipped to deal with it.

I would say they are ill-equipped because its difficult to give a Biblical apologetic for something based in Greek philosophy. This may also explain why there isn't a great deal of Bible study going on the Body of Christ. It's difficult to keep interested in a Bible study when everything you've been taught by those who are supposed to know what they are talking about is contradicted on nearly every page of the Bible.

And please don't be offended by my saying so, but while I don't doubt that you are knowledgeable enough to play devil's advocate and argue the closed view effectively, I must say that it seems to me that someone who actually held that view would make a more passionate and therefore more interesting argument.

Your brother in Christ.
Clete

Status
Not open for further replies.