X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask the promoter

So you wanna battle eh???

Well, tell me what topics you would be interested in debating and we will consider your request. Keep in mind only the toughest combatants battle in the TheologyOnLine Battle Royale's and you look kinda weak and skinny!

Now get out of my office kid your bothering me!

<goes back to smoking cigar and reading the horse racing results>
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

I'll battle on OV vs. Arminianism

Should the KJV be the only English translation in use? (I say no)

Is God in time? (I can argue either side)

I think this is a good starting list. Let me know what you think.
    For Greek conversion,

Comment

Is God in time?
      Well, of course. God's punctual.
      "To deny Calvinism is to deny the gospel of Jesus Christ." - Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Paul, LOL!

Comment

I think God is more like Gandalf.

"Wizards are never late, Frodo Baggins, nor are we early. We always arrive exactly when we mean to."
          For Greek conversion,

Comment

So now you're saying Gandalf is God?

hmmm

eeeeenterestink
            Show me someone who is expressing in anger his views of God, and I will show you someone who is deeply afraid of losing control of God- Peter Enns

Comment

"Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

I'd love to see a debate on the nature of Scripture, either on general philosophies of inspiration, on principles of translation, or on the KJV-Only debate specifically. (Seems like that's kind of where the other thread in this folder is heading.)

Some possible questions to pose:
              • Why do we regard the Bible as the inspired Word of God? Is its own testimony about itself sufficient?
              • Why is the Bible regarded as authoritative for Christian life? What role does tradition play in the Christian's view of spiritual authority?
              • What is the most "correct" method of translating Scripture? (Formal equivalence, dynamic equivalence, or paraphrase?)
              • Is the King James Bible the only Bible for English-speaking Christians?

Just some suggestions for others. I don't think I'm prepared to enter this particular fray yet. But now that I look at this list, I see that only the last one has a clear Yes/No line.

Ath

Comment

I am kind of new here but I would be interested in debating. I have read the rules and understand them.

Here are three topics that I would be interested in:

1) Is the gift of tongues for today? (I would like argue that it is)

2) Does the Ontological Argument prove that God exists? (I would say so)

3) According to the Old Testament, was Jesus Christ the messiah? (altough I most certainly think he was the messiah and more, I could go either way on this one for debate purposes)

Anyone interested?

Comment

you should probably do some debating in the theology areas first for some warmups. Then you can see who you clash with, and then challenge them.

We are currently in the midst of another battle right now, but you could be next in line.
                  For Greek conversion,

Comment

Originally posted by Jaltus

We are currently in the midst of another battle right now, but you could be next in line.
                    I have witnessed Jaltus use such a term so loosely, "battle".

Rather more a slau<cough>ghter! Excuse me. A lil fly umm...nevermind.

Comment

perceptions that have been reinforced by opinions that have been constructed by perceptions and further reinforced by opinions about those perceptions and yadda yadda yadda. you wont have much ground to debate on but it sounds like fun for me. how about:

divine assurance of absolute truths- real enough to validate all of
                      existance or fallible human chemical response

religion- safe haven for all or global corporation

the bible- reliable beyond personal opinion or sliced spliced diced and edited beyond the ability to hold it as a referance for absolute truth

Comment

How about.... should first time posters be required to have training wheels??

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren
                          How about.... should first time posters be required to have training wheels??
                          The answer is.... "no."
                          "Servetus has just sent me a long volume of his ravings. If I consent he will come here, but I will not give my word for if he comes here, if my authority is worth anything, I will never permit him to depart alive ("Si venerit, modo valeat mea autoritas, vivum exire nunquam patiar").[3]

Comment

And why not??

Comment

"your answer was randomly selected based on customer information gathered from independent credit surveys. You may write to:

Random Yes/No Answer House
                              11 Because I said so Street
                              NoneYa, Business 10110

to recieve a copy of our request and their reply. Thank you."
                              "Servetus has just sent me a long volume of his ravings. If I consent he will come here, but I will not give my word for if he comes here, if my authority is worth anything, I will never permit him to depart alive ("Si venerit, modo valeat mea autoritas, vivum exire nunquam patiar").[3]

Comment

Working...
                              X