No announcement yet.

Is mental illness a punishment for sin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is mental illness a punishment for sin?

The Old Testament tells us that God punished King Saul by allowing an evil spirit to torment him. In what way, it is not very clear, but from Sault's erratic behavior, I conclude that it was some sort of mental illness (paranoia, schizophrenia, OCD etc.).

Can we take this incident as an example that mental illness could be a punishment for our sinful actions, and if so, is any attempt to treat mental illness through other means than seeking Gog's forgiveness futile?

Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
    The Old Testament tells us that God punished King Saul by allowing an evil spirit to torment him. In what way, it is not very clear, but from Sault's erratic behavior, I conclude that it was some sort of mental illness (paranoia, schizophrenia, OCD etc.).

Can we take this incident as an example that mental illness could be a punishment for our sinful actions, and if so, is any attempt to treat mental illness through other means than seeking Gog's forgiveness futile?
    There's a person here who went by the name of Capricorn. This person is REALLY mentally ill.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Comment

Mental illness is a feeble attempt by medical science to dismiss the effects of the prince of the power of the air working in the children of disobedience.So-called mental illness is a manifestation of the misery brought about by tribulation and distress upon the workers of iniquity.
      I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

"Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm".

I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
      A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
      If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

Comment

PS "There is no peace unto the wicked".

There is no peace because there is enmity.
        I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
        A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
        If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Truster View Post
          Mental illness is a feeble attempt by medical science to dismiss the effects of the prince of the power of the air working in the children of disobedience.So-called mental illness is a manifestation of the misery brought about by tribulation and distress upon the workers of iniquity.
          In many cases, i would agree. But I've known many children like this, even very young ones, every one of whom are damaged in one way or another by wicked adults. Are they troubled? Yes. Are they capable of their own wickedness? Yes. Do they need Christ? Yes. But I cannot call them unqualified iniquitous for being first and foremost VICTIMS, more sinned against than sinning, resulting in their being as they are. No, there's something else to factor in.
          "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
          Terence Mc Lean

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
          By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Comment

Then why do therapy and pills work on healing some mentally-ill people who continue to live in sin while failing to heal other people who repent and try to live righteous lives (there have been documented cases of monks, nuns, pastors, preachers etc. who struggled with mental illness)?

Comment

Originally posted by musterion View Post
              In many cases, i would agree. But I've known many children like this, even very young ones, every one of whom are damaged in one way or another by wicked adults. Are they troubled? Yes. Are they capable of their own wickedness? Yes. Do they need Christ? Yes. But I cannot call them unqualified iniquitous for being first and foremost VICTIMS, more sinned against than sinning, resulting in their being as they are. No, there's something else to factor in.
              The unregenerate are under law and therefore under wrath. The sins of the fathers is visited upon the sons. You seem to be suggesting that all children are innocent and are deserving of the peace that only comes by grace.

As for factoring in "something else" you seem to suggest that there is something/someone above and beyond the First Cause. Dangerous ground indeed.

Comment

The unregenerate are under law and therefore under wrath.
                No, they're under grace. Wrath is in abeyance, pending their repentance.

The sins of the fathers is visited upon the sons. You seem to be suggesting that all children are innocent and are deserving of the peace that only comes by grace.
                That's not what I said.

As for factoring in "something else" you seem to suggest that there is something/someone above and beyond the First Cause. Dangerous ground indeed.
                That's not what I said.
                Terence Mc Lean

Comment

Then why do therapy and pills work on healing some mentally-ill people who continue to live in sin while failing to heal other people who repent and try to live righteous lives (there have been documented cases of monks, nuns, pastors, preachers etc. who struggled with mental illness)?
                  "The Eternal Almighty works all things together for good unto those that love Him, those that are called according to His purpose".

There is only one reason for salvation but many purposes. One of the purposes is to humble His people. He has each and every means at His disposal and He is soverign in their disposal and application. "Who can say why madest me thus"?

Comment

Originally posted by musterion View Post
                    No, they're under grace. Wrath is in abeyance, pending their repentance.

That's not what I said.

That's not what I said.
                    I'm not wasting another moment on your blind stupidity.

Comment

This message is hidden because musterion is on your ignore list.

Those that oppose the truth, despise the truth and dismiss the truth are in effect being hardened by the truth. The judgement they are sent is the powerful delusion and in fact they are caused to believe their lies.

Comment

I'm not
                        Not won't.

Can't.

You may go.
                        Terence Mc Lean

Comment

As someone I know says:

"Stupid doesn't make you sin. Sin makes you stupid."

Comment

Because mental illness is real and the only ones who deny it tend to be religious zealots.
                            Well this is fun isn't it?

Comment

AB is the classless halfwit drunk on malt liquor who shows up uninvited to a party just to make racist comments while having diarrhea in his clown pants.
                              Terence Mc Lean

Comment

Working...
                              X