This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knight View Post
    Of course. It's always sad to see someone struggle. Especially when they are being fed crappy theology.

But ultimately each man and woman is responsible for their own decisions and there is typically not much you can do about it other than give your opinion or guidance if they ask for it.

I never really had much to do with Zoo. Don't know why he turned into a weirdo. I'm sure there was a lot more to the story than him occasionally posting on an internet forum.

Because while you're saying it's sad to see someone struggle, it's always so helpful and loving and Christian to call him a weirdo.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
      Come on, really? I feel like it is a genuine question relevant to the OP.
      Maybe you are as dumb as Anna?
      Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
      TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
        Is it heavy lifting to be concerned for the souls of people who encounter a damaging witness to Christianity on your forum?
        Originally posted by Knight View Post
        Were you born this stupid or do you have to practice at it?

Does that mean you don't want to answer the question?

Comment

.. a damaging witness to Christianity ...
          give an example

Comment

Originally posted by ok doser View Post
            give an example

You.

Comment

Because while you're saying it's sad to see someone struggle, it's always so helpful and loving and Christian to call him a weirdo.
              because calling him a mean name just might hurt his feelings, so of course it has to hurt your feelings, right?

Comment

This attitude is astounding to me. Does it reflect your views as a Christian as well? If I could post a poll, I would. I'm interested in what other Christians have to say, and why.

It's an important topic to me, and your answers are important to me.

Also, for those who fixate on my "Other" designation: this thread isn't about what I believe, it's about what you believe.
                The idea of one "losing one's faith" is a bit complicated, for me. Because I view the term "faith" as having two distinctly different meanings at the same time.

There is "faith" as in a collection of beliefs that we choose to hold about the nature and purpose of existence, and there is "faith" as in choosing to trust in an unknowable outcome in spite of it's unknowability. So that as a taoist, for someone to lose their faith (as in religion) is of little actual consequence. So long as they don't lose faith by that other meaning.

The truth of reality runs far deeper and is for more complex than we humans can discern. So we need to employ faith in the face of our profound ignorance, to live. Part of that application of faith involves these religious and philosophical conceptual paradigms that we use to create the illusion that we 'understand reality', and so can live in it with some degree of freedom and courage. And we will, from time to time, choose to drop one paradigm in favor of another. Which is perfectly normal and reasonable to do if we find that the paradigm we currently hold is no longer working so well for us. Then by all means we should switch to another, and see if it works better.

This kind of "loss of faith" is not meaningless, and I'm not as pitiless as Knight apparently is about it, but at the same time, it's just a normal aspect of human growth and change. So I feel no special pathos for those who are experiencing it.

The loss of that other kind of faith, however, is serious. Because that involves losing the ability to trust in the unknowable when doing so becomes necessary for forward motion in life (which is a good deal of the time). That kind of loss of faith becomes debilitating, and can cut people off from the joy and adventure of living. To the point of suicide, by all manner of self-abuse.

Here on TOL, we discuss, argue, and debate about faith in terms of our conceptual paradigms, and it stands to reason that some of us will come to realize that we no longer want to hold the paradigms that we do. And I actually believe that's a good thing, regardless of what paradigm is being let go, and what is being adopted. Because from my perspective, NONE of them are the truth, and different ones work better for different people at different times.

The other type of loss of faith, however, is a more serious matter. But is also quite rare, even here on TOL. And I'm not sure we can attribute that sort of loss of faith to others. That's something we each need to mind, for ourselves. The world becomes one nasty, scary place when we lose that aspect of faith!

Comment

You.
                  specifically

bear in mind that i remind everyone, when the opportunity arises, that accepting Christ as your Savior is the only way to salvation and that ultimately, nothing else matters

Comment

When I really like someone, and I really like Zoo, it is hard to hear unkind things said about them.
                    Yet, truth be told, snide comments about the people for whom I have little or no respect tickle me. My bad! I suppose....

Comment

• Originally posted by Knight View Post
                      Maybe you are as dumb as Anna?
                      Am I hitting too close to home, Knight, and all you're left with is insults?

Comment

• Originally posted by bybee View Post
                        You are being unnecessarily harsh in my opinion. She is questioning. That is not hate.
                        She said Knight's attitude makes him anti-Christian. Every time there is a chance for her to side with scripture, she chooses to promote lies.

I think I'm right on the money.
                        Where is the evidence for a global flood?
                        E≈mc2
                        "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
                        -Bob B.

Comment

• Originally posted by ok doser View Post
                          specifically

bear in mind that i remind everyone, when the opportunity arises, that accepting Christ as your Savior is the only way to salvation and that ultimately, nothing else matters
                          Specifically?

You.

Comment

• Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
                            Am I hitting too close to home, Knight, and all you're left with is insults?
                            -Q
                            "The Man. The Myth. The Legend!"

Comment

• Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
                              Specifically?

You.

no

what specifically do i do that distresses you?

Comment

• Originally posted by ok doser View Post
                                no

what specifically do i do that distresses you?

Is it too difficult to look at yourself as the stumbling block that you are?

Comment

Working...
                                X