X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knight View Post
    As I told Anna in the other thread.....

TOL is no different than the water cooler at the office. It's a place for people to talk. If someone loses their faith after talking with a fellow employee at the office water cooler I doubt the Deep Rock guy feels guilty about it.
    The difference is you perpetuate and actively promote "truth smacking" or, as I see it, "brow beating only to cease upon assimilation".

Or, to put in terms others can understand: BELIEVE WHAT WE DO OR ELSE.
    -Q
    "The Man. The Myth. The Legend!"

Comment

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
      Belief in God.
      Well, that's awfully generic, isn't it? Some people think the spirit of God inhabits nature, wildlife, trees, plants, etc. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if they were to lose their faith in that drivel. Or "everyone is a little god". Or "all paths lead to Heaven". Ditto for all the other wacko viewpoints on TOL.

Yes, it does sound heartless. It sounds unChristian.
      Let's try an analogy. I don't know your political persuasions, but would you care if someone switched from being against your viewpoints? Probably not. There is a parallel here with Knight not caring about someone dropping a erroneous belief.

He does believe in OSAS, but many Christians don't. For them, a loss of belief in God is by definition, eternally fatal.
      Again, losing something that was nothing to begin with--what's the loss?

But Knight relies on the no true Scotsman fallacy by saying that if they lose faith, either they're still saved, or they weren't really a Christian anyway.
      The no true Scotsman fallacy does not apply to eternal souls. On this issue there is no wiggle room. You either are a "true Scotsman" or you're not.

His indifference to their fate (if they're saved), in that context, is more understandable. But if they weren't really a Christian by his definition, then his attitude is callous and unChristian.
      I think you've got the logic reversed.
      "Auto correct has become my worst enema."

Comment

Originally posted by Mocking You View Post

You see, if Knight believes in OSAS (and I think he does) then true believers cannot "lose their faith". That means from Knight's viewpoint other people "losing their faith" in whatever extra-Biblical, man-made doctrine is a good thing, doubly so if they come to believe in Jesus, and Jesus alone, for their salvation (which comes by grace through faith.)

So from where I'm sitting Knight could have said "losing one's faith" was a good thing instead of merely saying it didn't bother him. He might have been diplomatic. But of course to you it sounds heartless .

i was thinking something similar as i walked next door for more coffee - losing one's faith in a false Christ is a good thing

and we seem to have no end of those on here - people who want to remake Christ according to their own imaginations

Comment

Originally posted by chrysostom View Post
          the problem with anna's question is that it is a compound one
          and
          because of that
          anna doesn't know
          if
          knight cares if someone loses their faith

all she knows
          is
          that knight doesn't care if someone loses their faith because of the forum

a valid distinction
          You have a point... to a point.

However, Knight had the opportunity to make a distinction, and he didn't.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
            The difference is you perpetuate and actively promote "truth smacking" or, as I see it, "brow beating only to cease upon assimilation".
            Lol.... if someone doesn't like TOL or me, they should find another forum to participate on. There are literally thousands to choose from.

We have been around for almost 20 years now. Apparently some people like the TOL style so we don't plan on changing it any time soon.
            Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
            TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

Salvation through faith is God's responsibility, not anyone else's.

We should encourage and exhort one another but each person is responsible for their life.

Comment

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
                However, Knight had the opportunity to make a distinction, and he didn't.
                You want me to do all of your heavy lifting?
                Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
                TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post

Or, to put in terms others can understand: BELIEVE WHAT WE DO OR ELSE.
                  turn to Christ or suffer eternal damnation?

but we have plenty so-called "Christians" here who don't even believe that

and they're allowed to stay and post

how about that?

Comment

Originally posted by jamie View Post
                    ... each person is responsible for their life.
                    not according to liberals

according to liberals it's always somebody else's fault

Comment

Originally posted by ok doser View Post
                      turn to Christ or suffer eternal damnation?

but we have plenty so-called "Christians" here who don't even believe that

and they're allowed to stay and post

how about that?
                      Damnation is not within your power.
                      Rather, you are called to behave in Christian, that is to say, in Christlike Love for others.

Comment

Apparently some people like the TOL style so we don't plan on changing it any time soon.
                        Yay!
                        I just love this place!

We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
                        They already know monsters exist.
                        We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

Comment

Originally posted by bybee View Post
                          Damnation is not within your power.

i can't imagine why you'd think i believe it is

Rather, you are called to behave in Christian, that is to say, in Christlike Love for others.
                          was Christ being loving when he said "go and sin no more"?

Comment

not according to liberals

according to liberals it's always somebody else's fault
                            I would append that to "some" or "almost all" liberals often place blame everywhere but on the perpetrator.
                            This is a serious problem in America today.

Comment

Lol.... if someone doesn't like TOL or me, they should find another forum to participate on. There are literally thousands to choose from.

We have been around for almost 20 years now. Apparently some people like the TOL style so we don't plan on changing it any time soon.
                              do you care
                              if
                              someone loses their faith?
                              a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

was Christ being loving when he said "go and sin no more"?
                                If every awful thing you've ever said (and don't get me wrong, I also think you're hilarious, but you do say really crappy things to people) was just an extrapolation from "go and sin no more" I will eat my hat.

Comment

Working...
                                X