This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Thank you, you've got most of it in a nutshell, I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from. It's discouraging.

And yes, and that's exactly what Knight said to someone else in the thread yesterday, that he believes in OSAS, so someone was either still a Christian or he never was.
    It's also a convenient way of washing one's hands, not taking any responsibility for one's behavior, and essentially shrugging off the repercussions of your actions. A classic "tough, not my problem" sort of trump card. Essentially, a lot of Christians refuse to acknowledge the possibility their behavior's capable of leading anyone astray, or even damaging the faith of another. That's...potentially quite dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Totton Linnet View Post
      What Knight means is that if somebody's faith is firmly in Jesus nobody can shake it...and I think if it can be shaken it needs to be shaken to encourage them onto firmer ground.

Knight doesn't care. Where are the Christians who care?

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

I'm asking the members.

Would it bother you if your actions or words were a factor in someone losing his faith?
        I would question if I was at fault but the mere fact of my words causing someone to lose their faith doesn't mean that I am to blame. When a person loses their faith it is usually associated with some external event, whether it is some accident or circumstance, some interaction with others or whatever. But that is just a truism - it has to be associated with something. It doesn't mean that that something is to blame.
        Total Misanthropy.
        Uncertain salvation.
        Luck of the draw.
        Irresistible damnation.
        Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
        (The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

RevTestament: It doesn't matter to me too much that the "New Testament wasn't written in Hebrew.
        Dialogos: Calvin, as a sinner, probably got some things wrong.
        Brandplucked: I'm shocked that other people disagree with me.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick jane View Post
          I wonder how somebody fakes their faith. And why would somebody do that.
          That is an excellent question.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite View Post
            It's also a convenient way of washing one's hands, not taking any responsibility for one's behavior, and essentially shrugging off the repercussions of your actions. A classic "tough, not my problem" sort of trump card. Essentially, a lot of Christians refuse to acknowledge the possibility their behavior's capable of leading anyone astray, or even damaging the faith of another. That's...potentially quite dangerous.
            I'm seeing that play out right on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Caledvwlch View Post
              That is an excellent question.
              But not quite for the reasons some people think.

Comment

I'm seeing that play out right on this thread.
                Absolutely. I swear it's like there's a script involved. They hit every beat very predictably.

Comment

classic liberal victim thinking
                  there is always someone to blame
                  woe is me
                  a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

So I get it, I used to believe that faith couldn't be lost, but then I lost it. So it can be a little insulting when somebody tells me (and it's happened, and I'm sure not just to me) that I was never a believer.

It sure felt like belief.

But on the other hand, I don't consider a loss of faith to be a bad thing, so I wouldn't have laid any responsibility on any actions by Christians I knew ten or eleven years ago.

Comment

I'm asking the members.

Would it bother you if your actions or words were a factor in someone losing his faith?

If the actions or words of members of your faith community were a factor in someone losing his faith?
                      No. My words and/or actions can't be the root cause of a loss of faith. I just don't see how it's even an option. Everything is a factor.

Comment

great thread anna
                        we don't agree
                        but
                        we can talk about it
                        a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

Originally posted by chrysostom View Post
                          classic liberal victim thinking
                          there is always someone to blame
                          woe is me
                          chrys gets it

Comment

Originally posted by patrick jane View Post
                            No. My words and/or actions can't be the root cause of a loss of faith. I just don't see how it's even an option. Everything is a factor.
                            Does Matt: 18:6 mean anything to any Christian here?

If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

Comment

That's the point of this thread, Desert Reign. He clearly doesn't care.

I'm not relating it specifically to the existence of the forum or his ownership of it.

Leadership, yes.

Example, yes.

Christian witness on both an individual and a community level, yes.

I'm asking the members.

If the actions or words of members of your faith community were a factor in someone losing his faith?
                              I am respectful of the faith walk of others here and everywhere. People come here for a variety of reasons and stay for a variety of reasons.
                              The words of my mouth are intended for comfort, instruction or praise. Sometimes they are to express scorn for posts that strike me as worthy of scorn. Occasionally I am outraged and express my outrage vehemently!
                              I do not feel responsible for the reaction of others to my words unless they tell me how they were affected by them for good or ill.
                              If I am shown to be wrong I apologize.
                              Years ago there was a poster who went into orbit over something I said and this person never really forgave me for it. Yet, I would have said it again because I believed it to be so.
                              I have been both praised and reviled here. If I begin to wonder about how every single other poster is going to receive my words I will no longer be able to post at all.
                              I hope that I am helpful. If someone told me that I had caused him/her to lose faith I would be heartbroken but I would not feel guilty because my intent is to build the faith. The response of others dwells within their own thought processes.
                              I must respect that.

Comment

Originally posted by chrysostom View Post
                                she has already left the republican party
                                This seems relevant

Comment

Working...
                                X