X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elia View Post
    Bs'd

I don't accept Luke as being a non-Jew.
    Well there are scholars on both sides of that issue and I have seen reasonable sounding points from both sides though the best arguments I have read have been for him being a gentile which is the generally accepted view of church history (something I love to study, I am a history nut). May I ask your particular reasons?

I like it rough.

Eliyahu
    Good

Comment

Originally posted by EMETH View Post
      I may bother to go through it in detail at a later time when I have time to make a project of doing research of my own. Right now though I have other things on my plate. By the way you may want to do a little correcting on your introduction since it gets a very basic fact about the NT wrong in the first & second sentence. Two books of the NT were written by Luke who is generally accepted to have been a gentile. *I know it's not really a big detail in the scheme of things*

P.S. I also want to welcome you to TOL but I hope you have a thick skin. If you hang around here for long your going to need it. The debate here can get a little rough.

What debate / Argument? -- I haven't found anyone with the brass to argue anything but their own doctrine.

Paul -- 012411
      ---Gal. 4:16.
      ---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

Comment

Originally posted by Letsargue View Post
        I haven't found anyone with the brass to argue anything but their own doctrine.

Paul -- 012411
        Isn't that what you do, Paul?
        Funny how threads morph.

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." ~ Paul

"You should never wave to someone you don't know. What if he doesn't have a hand? Then he'll just think you're being cocky!" ~Mitch Hedberg

__.._

Comment

Originally posted by Letsargue View Post
          What debate / Argument? -- I haven't found anyone with the brass to argue anything but their own doctrine.

Paul -- 012411
          I have witnessed more than a few heated debates/arguments on TOL. I even have been involved in a couple though they usually cooled down because I don't (normally) run hot for long.

Comment

Originally posted by EMETH View Post
            Well there are scholars on both sides of that issue and I have seen reasonable sounding points from both sides though the best arguments I have read have been for him being a gentile which is the generally accepted view of church history (something I love to study, I am a history nut). May I ask your particular reasons?
            Bs'd

If I accept him as a non-Jew I'll have to change my home page.

Eliyahu
            Please be advised that everywhere in your translation of your OT when it is written "the LORD" with all capitals, then in the original Hebrew it says the four lettered name of God: Y-H-W-H. That name appears almost 7000 times in the Hebrew Bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Elia View Post
              Bs'd

If I accept him as a non-Jew I'll have to change my home page.

Eliyahu

Comment

Originally posted by chickenman View Post
                Hmmm...
                So in summary: Elia says it's so; Elia wouldn't make it up; So we need to believe Elia.

I never thought about it that way. Verrrrrry compelling stuff you got there, Elia.
                Hmmm...
                So in summary: you say the Bible says it's the word of god; the writers of the Bible wouldn't make it up; so we need to believe the Bible.

I never thought about it that way. Verrrrrry compelling stuff you got there, chickman.

"The more scientifically literate, intellectually honest and objectively skeptical a person is, the more likely they are to disbelieve in anything supernatural, including god."

Comment

Actually, I didn't say that, Hunter. But I'm glad you gave yourself a good laugh.

And it's chickENman. I haven't been chickman for 20 years.
                  Funny how threads morph.

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." ~ Paul

"You should never wave to someone you don't know. What if he doesn't have a hand? Then he'll just think you're being cocky!" ~Mitch Hedberg

__.._

Comment

People like Elia want some OLD RABBI with a long beard to be the HUMAN Messiah and yet that goes against the Torah on worshipping anyone else
                    but God.

Elia needs to study his Torah and GROW UP .
                    GOD HAS PROMISED US IMMORTALITY

Comment

Originally posted by OMEGA View Post
                      People like Elia want some OLD RABBI with a long beard to be the HUMAN Messiah and yet that goes against the Torah on worshipping anyone else
                      but God.

Elia needs to study his Torah and GROW UP .
                      Bs'd

Yes the messiah will be totally human, and no, we are not going to worship him. The only one that we worship is the one and only God Y-H-W-H who is one.

There is no indication whatsoever in the Tanach that the messiah is going to be divine or God himself.

It are the Christians who are the idol worshipers, because they do worship somebody else then Y-H-W-H, namely JC.

Eliyahu
                      Last edited by Elia; January 24th, 2011, 02:32 PM.
                      Please be advised that everywhere in your translation of your OT when it is written "the LORD" with all capitals, then in the original Hebrew it says the four lettered name of God: Y-H-W-H. That name appears almost 7000 times in the Hebrew Bible.

Comment

Exo 25:8 And let them make me a sanctuary, that I may dwell in their midst.
                        Exo 29:45 I will dwell among the people of Israel and will be their God.
                        Exo 29:46 And they shall know that I am the LORD their God, who brought them out of the land of Egypt that I might dwell among them. I am the LORD their God.

Was GOD speaking allegorically or literally, when He said that He would dwell among the people of Israel?
                        Jer 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD[YHVH], that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
                        Jer 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he[the Branch] shall be called, THE LORD[YHVH] OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Comment

Originally posted by chickenman View Post
                          Actually, I didn't say that, Hunter.
                          . . . not in exactly those words, no. It's the same difference weather you wish to admit it or not . . .
                          "The more scientifically literate, intellectually honest and objectively skeptical a person is, the more likely they are to disbelieve in anything supernatural, including god."

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
                            . . . not in exactly those words, no. It's the same difference weather you wish to admit it or not . . .
                            Well...I certainly do believe the Bible is the word of God. But I've never told anyone they should believe that just because I say so. I've never even suggested anything like that. Sounds like you've got a [pretty dull] axe to grind, Hunter. Not sure why you chose me, out of the blue, to do so. But...whatever. Have fun with it.
                            Funny how threads morph.

__.._

Comment

Originally posted by steko View Post
                              Exo 29:46 And they shall know that I am the LORD their God, who brought them out of the land of Egypt that I might dwell among them. I am the LORD their God.

Was GOD speaking allegorically or literally, when He said that He would dwell among the people of Israel?
                              Bs'd

Let's first get the verses straight:

Exo 29:46 And they shall know that I am Y-H-W-H their God, who brought them out of the land of Egypt that I might dwell among them. I am Y-H-W-H their God.

And about God dwelling in the sanctuary:

"But will God really dwell on earth with humans? The heavens, even the highest heavens, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!" 2 Chron 6:18

Eliyahu

Comment

Eliyahu,

Welcome to TOL.

Shalom,

Jacob

Comment

Working...
                                X