toldailytopic: Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Ow I've studied revivals ALL of them, there is so-oo much to learn from revivals my dears...study them and you too may find yourself in a revived state.

I learned this...whatever revivals become, by way of controversy, yelling and shouting and jumpings up and down and uproar...they start with the utmost gentleness so that oft times those who become the principle characters associated with them do not at first realise that God is working in their midst in an unusual way.

The Holy Spirit comes as a Dove among His people....you say ah but sometimes He is dramatic, yes He is...it is because He has been present working away in a gentle fashion and unnoticed. Moses had NO IDEA that God was at work, that He was come down to deliver His people...already He had visited Aaron and sent him out into the wilderness with gladdened heart to meet Moses.

That's why He appeared in the bush which Moses saw burning but which was not consumed...God does hextraordinary things to get our attention BECAUSE He is gentle and we would not know He is with us in some special way.

When we understand He is present with us in an unusual way we do as Moses and worship Him with awe...the revelation comes first.

George Whitefield had been fasting, laying out in the frost, doing extraordinary things in seeking to serve God [under John Wesley's mentorship] but one day he met a poor Oxfordshire woman who had been pulled from the Thames, a failed suicide. Her husband was in jail and she was desperate.

Whitefield hardly knew how to counsel her but he said "you need to be born again"...he himself was not born again.
The next time he met her was when he visited her husband in jail and she was with him, but she was beaming with joy, they both were. George Whitfield was astonished. "But sir" she said "you told me I must be born again and I have been and my husband too"

This was the very beginning of the great Wesley/Whitefield revival...Whitefield himself soon after was born again.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

I've read some about some of the revivals that came to western culture, some lasted for quite a while others were just as they happened and that was it. I read in a book titled, "This Is That", where revivals had lasted not only for months but a couple of years and it would die down, but effects of of such a revival were long lasting.

I've always believed there would one more great awakening not only for western culture but around the world, before the last days begin to increase.

I believe there will be an outpouring of the Holy Spirit like there has never been before, and the spreading of the Gospel of salvation in effort like has been in past but on a greater world wide scale than has ever been seen or accomplished, a God given, Holy Spirit driven, Jesus uplifted world wide revival — No I do not not believe in a universal plan of all salvation — For all who would be saved must come by John 14:6 and put Romans 10:8-14 in to action.

Aimiel

I've read some about some of the revivals that came to western culture, some lasted for quite a while others were just as they happened and that was it. I read in a book titled, "This Is That", where revivals had lasted not only for months but a couple of years and it would die down, but effects of of such a revival were long lasting.

I've always believed there would one more great awakening not only for western culture but around the world, before the last days begin to increase.

I believe there will be an outpouring of the Holy Spirit like there has never been before, and the spreading of the Gospel of salvation in effort like has been in past but on a greater world wide scale than has ever been seen or accomplished, a God given, Holy Spirit driven, Jesus uplifted world wide revival — No I do not not believe in a universal plan of all salvation — For all who would be saved must come by John 14:6 and put Romans 10:8-14 in to action.
:thumb: =)

Aimiel

Ow I've studied revivals ALL of them, there is so-oo much to learn from revivals my dears...study them and you too may find yourself in a revived state.

I learned this...whatever revivals become, by way of controversy, yelling and shouting and jumpings up and down and uproar...they start with the utmost gentleness so that oft times those who become the principle characters associated with them do not at first realise that God is working in their midst in an unusual way.

The Holy Spirit comes as a Dove among His people....you say ah but sometimes He is dramatic, yes He is...it is because He has been present working away in a gentle fashion and unnoticed. Moses had NO IDEA that God was at work, that He was come down to deliver His people...already He had visited Aaron and sent him out into the wilderness with gladdened heart to meet Moses.

That's why He appeared in the bush which Moses saw burning but which was not consumed...God does hextraordinary things to get our attention BECAUSE He is gentle and we would not know He is with us in some special way.

When we understand He is present with us in an unusual way we do as Moses and worship Him with awe...the revelation comes first.

George Whitefield had been fasting, laying out in the frost, doing extraordinary things in seeking to serve God [under John Wesley's mentorship] but one day he met a poor Oxfordshire woman who had been pulled from the Thames, a failed suicide. Her husband was in jail and she was desperate.

Whitefield hardly knew how to counsel her but he said "you need to be born again"...he himself was not born again.
The next time he met her was when he visited her husband in jail and she was with him, but she was beaming with joy, they both were. George Whitfield was astonished. "But sir" she said "you told me I must be born again and I have been and my husband too"

This was the very beginning of the great Wesley/Whitefield revival...Whitefield himself soon after was born again.
Awesome God we serve, isn't it? :thumb:

Aimiel

If you're talking about the churches that scatter accross our land, I'll say NO, because the "religionists" in them now outnumber the body of Christ. I believe we're in the day when the true church (the body of Christ) must come OUTSIDE THE CAMP. The camp has become polluted (in general), and small NT style assemblies are springing up everywhere you look....in homes and rented buildings. A revival in the true church, the body of Christ, is happening right now all across this land, and it will increase as the day of the Lord draws near. We will have no choice but to wake up as persecutions sweep over us.

Hebrews 13:10-13
We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.​
Amen!

Revelation 18:4
And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

faramir77

how come none here have spoken to me of the Gospel?

TOD. -do you, have you, _Bought a soul to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ?

glorydaz

how come none here have spoken to me of the Gospel?

TOD. -do you, have you, _Bought a soul to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ?

We're just about the business of planting and watering. ;)

1 Corinthians 3:7
So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Not in the way the Pentecostals and Charismatics think it is; all they ever have is times of emotional hype that don't have any lasting effect.

The only thing that will revive the Body is the truth and their recognition of it.

In theory I would say yes. Let me qualify by saying what revival is and isn't. Revival isn't God moving people against their will like chess pieces or emotional falling all over the floor. Revival is totally dependent on the choices of the individual members of the Body of Christ. Will the Body in the West choose the submit itself to praying for their country and voting for godly leaders? Will they choose to get involved in evangelistic efforts? Will they choose to educate their kids in a godly manner? True revival changes the culture around it. It all boils down the decisions made by the Christians themselves. America is turning into a cesspool because the Church has fallen down on its job and taken up a live and let live attitude. Revival cannot happen under these conditions.
:thumb:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
It is the pentecostals and charismatics who are multiplying on every continent and almost nobody else...so they must be doing something more than just holy rolling.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is the pentecostals and charismatics who are multiplying on every continent and almost nobody else...so they must be doing something more than just holy rolling.
The International Church of the Foursquare Gospel has been growing slowly but steadily, the ICFG (a very conservative pentecostal denomination) main focus is on Salvation and Missions and it always has been. I think that Pastor Jack Hayford and The Church On The Way are a fine example of what and how ICFG is doing. I believe most of the ICFG churches are small with congregations of 250 or less. (Yes, we're members of the ICFG.)

Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

I believe for such a western or national revival to happen, it has to start with me and you, a revival of one with a fervent desire to have a revival within ourselves and then watch it begin to spread take hold, yes I believe it's possible, but it must begin with someone and somewhere ... Someone? Me. Somewhere? Here. Let's let it begin with us, Amen!
Lord put that desire within us, ignite that desire and let that desire become a reality for revival, true revival that You send and that You increase and that we decrease, and that the things of the world grow dim in the light of Your glory and grace.
More importantly, the scriptures tell us in the OT that the Lord would or will pour out His Spirit Joel 2:28-29 and reaffirmed in Acts 2:17-18, I believe it will begin with the individual, and when we let the fires of revival begin to burn within us and become a flame like the lamp that is lit and revival will take hold and spread through the Church for not only a holy spiritual revival in the Church but also for a real strong surge of the Gospel being delivered to a lost world without Christ, may it be so with me that I'm a spark to the world's third great awakening, and Praise the Lord, many will be revived and many will come to know Jesus as their Savior, Amen!
"Lord lay some soul upon my heart,
and love that soul through me,
and may I faithfully do my part
to win that soul to the Thee."

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Beloved, our crusty tempers and sour faces will never be evangelists."

Charles Spurgeon - The Prince of Preachers

June 19, 1834 – 31 January 31, 1892

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The International Church of the Foursquare Gospel has been growing slowly but steadily, the ICFG (a very conservative pentecostal denomination) main focus is on Salvation and Missions and it always has been. I think that Pastor Jack Hayford and The Church On The Way are a fine example of what and how ICFG is doing. I believe most of the ICFG churches are small with congregations of 250 or less. (Yes, we're members of the ICFG.)

Is general revival at all any longer possible in the western church?

I believe for such a western or national revival to happen, it has to start with me and you, a revival of one with a fervent desire to have a revival within ourselves and then watch it begin to spread take hold, yes I believe it's possible, but it must begin with someone and somewhere ... Someone? Me. Somewhere? Here. Let's let it begin with us, Amen!
Lord put that desire within us, ignite that desire and let that desire become a reality for revival, true revival that You send and that You increase and that we decrease, and that the things of the world grow dim in the light of Your glory and grace.
More importantly, the scriptures tell us in the OT that the Lord would or will pour out His Spirit Joel 2:28-29 and reaffirmed in Acts 2:17-18, I believe it will begin with the individual, and when we let the fires of revival begin to burn within us and become a flame like the lamp that is lit and revival will take hold and spread through the Church for not only a holy spiritual revival in the Church but also for a real strong surge of the Gospel being delivered to a lost world without Christ, may it be so with me that I'm a spark to the world's third great awakening, and Praise the Lord, many will be revived and many will come to know Jesus as their Savior, Amen!
"Lord lay some soul upon my heart,
and love that soul through me,
and may I faithfully do my part
to win that soul to the Thee."

Yuss it is the much maligned pentys and charismatics who speak thus.

bybee

"Beloved, our crusty tempers and sour faces will never be evangelists."

Charles Spurgeon - The Prince of Preachers

June 19, 1834 – 31 January 31, 1892

Amen Brother. And I would humbly add our "judgmentalism" will not draw people to the Living Waters of Christ's sacrifice!

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
@Psalmist Poor Spurgeon of course was not the prettiest of men to look at, he was of melancholy disposition, which he never tried to hide [in the way I see many christian leaders do] he never tried to hide it because he had learned to live victoriously despite it...when he spoke of deep and abiding joy no one could doubt but that he meant that joy which comes from the Presence of the Lord. As it is written "Lord in thy Presence is fulness of joy and at thy right hand pleasures evermore"

It was oft remarked that although he was of melancholy features yet when he stood forward to preach his face lifted up into an almost angelic smile.

He looked much better when he grew a full beard.

View attachment 17912

bybee

Poor Spurgeon of course was not the prettiest of men to look at, he was of melancholy disposition, which he never tried to hide [in the way I see many christian leaders do] he never tried to hide it because he had learned to live victoriously despite it...when he spoke of deep and abiding joy no could doubt but that he meant that joy which comes from the Presence of the Lord. As it is written "Lord in thy Presence is fulness of joy and at thy right hand pleasures evermore"

It was oft remarked that although he was of melancholy features yet when he stood forward to preach his face lifted up into an almost angelic smile.

He looked much better when he grew a full beard.

I've worshipped in the Anglican Communion for most of my life and Charles Spurgeon has been oft cited and quoted in numerous sermons over the years.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I've worshipped in the Anglican Communion for most of my life and Charles Spurgeon has been oft cited and quoted in numerous sermons over the years.

Now there is a thing about Spurgeon for nobody was so hard on the Anglicans as he was...but they loved him. Nobody castigated the Roman Catholics quite like Spurgeon...yet when he visited Ireland they came out in droves to hear him. He savaged the Brethren for their unbrotherliness...but hardly anyone loved Spurgeon or still do than the Breths

He was derisory of the Salvation Army [while funding them mind] their trumpets and drums and clattering...but they loved him.

He rebuked the Queen upon the throne and yet Queen Victoria read a transcript of his sermon every week.

They all felt that he loved them and only desired their wellbeing.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Oh Spurgeon, Spurgeon...there hardly has been one who loved God's word as he did.

It was his own Baptist friends who turned on him at the last...he is the last of the Puritans.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yuss it is the much maligned pentys and charismatics who speak thus.
We had been members of the AoG...

But alas it seemed they were just content about complaining and roaming around in their own stew pot of do nothing and not fix the problems they have but to tend to the swill of the denominations of the same standing and state, and then realigned their missions program. It was like it was more about Springfield and the powers that be than uniting a body of believers, they had upper staff and some known pastors who were nothing but rude; the fellow I think in AoG that is worth his salt is Dan Betzer, he had a program called Revival Time that he took of from C. M. Ward, and continued do well with the program.

So we left AoG and joined ICFG. It has it's problems but what denomination doesn't.

Last edited:

bybee

Now there is a thing about Spurgeon for nobody was so hard on the Anglicans as he was...but they loved him. Nobody castigated the Roman Catholics quite like Spurgeon...yet when he visited Ireland they came out in droves to hear him. He savaged the Brethren for their unbrotherliness...but hardly anyone loved Spurgeon or still do than the Breths

He was derisory of the Salvation Army [while funding them mind] their trumpets and drums and clattering...but they loved him.

He rebuked the Queen upon the throne and yet Queen Victoria read a transcript of his sermon every week.

They all felt that he loved them and only desired their wellbeing.
You know Totton, he is proof that one person, man or woman, willing to speak the truth and challenge the comfort level of any and all who think to rest on the laurels of their historic practices, can make a difference.
It is being willing to not only confront that which does not build up the Body of Christ, but to take revilement and isolation as the price for such words and deeds.
The honorable person earns his/her place in our hearts and minds as we turn to them for inspiration and support.
In the long run truth will win.
Thanks be to God!