Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Islamic religion encourage or discourage t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Islamic religion encourage or discourage t

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 3rd, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Islamic religion encourage or discourage terrorism by it's adherents?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

history shows that it encourages it
    a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Islamic religion encourage or discourage terrorism by its adherents?

It encourages it, it makes space for it and downright advocates violence.

toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Christian religion encourage or discourage terrorism by its adherents?

Encourage

toldailytopic: Generally speaking does the Hindu religion encourage or discourage terrorism by its adherents?

Encourage

--

You can probably see where this is going.

Comment

so much for your credibility

Comment

the history of Islam

Comment

Originally posted by chrysostom View Post
            Because you're worth it! Oh wait, darling - you must now cover your hair!

If insulting Islam ruins your credibility then the future is frightening.

Comment

Encourages for sure. As I've said on here before, the moderates may take it and turn it into a religion of peace, cherry picking out the verses that support their doctrine of peace. I think the fundamentalist understand it best though. I feel that way about every religion, they are all divisive and while not all violent they all seem to have their elements of malice sprinkled throughout.
              I'm not a sinner, or preacher, all I have is slight of hand.

Comment

I don't know much about Islam, but I don't think the content of a religion is relevant when discussing the pathology of its adherents. Extreme Islamists today cultivate intolerance, violence, and hate. Unfortunately, there are a lot of extremists. Whether or not Islam truly teaches these things is secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by Chalmer Wren View Post
                  I don't know much about Islam, but I don't think the content of a religion is relevant when discussing the pathology of its adherents. Extreme Islamists today cultivate intolerance, violence, and hate. Unfortunately, there are a lot of extremists. Whether or not Islam truly teaches these things is secondary.
                  If you read the Quran straight through you might come up with a different conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by bybee View Post
                    If you read the Quran straight through you might come up with a different conclusion.
                    have you?

Comment

Originally posted by Quincy View Post
                      I feel that way about every religion, .

Comment

Originally posted by Quincy View Post
                        Encourages for sure. As I've said on here before, the moderates may take it and turn it into a religion of peace, cherry picking out the verses that support their doctrine of peace. I think the fundamentalist understand it best though.
                        What is your basis for stating that fundamentalism is a more true version of any religion? Fundamentalism is primarily a modern phenomenon, so how can you state that a true version of old religions first emerged within modernity?

I find that people here make a whole lot of statements, however I see no indication the same people have any understanding of the religion(s) they criticize with those statements.

I feel that way about every religion, they are all divisive and while not all violent they all seem to have their elements of malice sprinkled throughout.
                        They are divise in the sense that they attempt to say something that is true about the human condition. In other words, it is no more divisive than politics, philosophy or any other form of ideology. Of course, one can pretend to be one of those people that do not hold to any ideology at all. In my experience, those people are the ones you really need to watch out for. Because the only difference between them and the rest is that they think their own ideology is so correct that it is a self-evident truth.
                        "By the tender mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace." (Luke 1:78-79)

The Light Eternal, breaking through,
                        the world to gleam anew;
                        His beams have pierced the core of night,
                        He makes us children of the light.

-Martin Luther

Comment

Originally posted by bybee View Post
                          Have you read the Old testament? I seem to recall some rather hideous passages within it, like saying that those that are dashing children against the rocks should be blessed. Not to mention records and bragging about genocide in the name of God.

Of course, the church fathers found those passages to be absolutely horrible and thus read them allegorically as refering to the war against sin within ourselves. However, you cannot deduce that from reading the Bible alone. You seem to dismiss Islam as a religion of violence based on a superficial reading of their scriptures, would you do the same with Christianity?

There may very well be things are worth to criticize within Islamic theology and religion. However, we must be careful and try to understand their religion as a system, which means understanding the scriptures as it was understood by the teachers of Islam.

One issue I would have with Islam is that an allergorical reading of some of the passages would be troublesome for them. Primarily because the Quran is the ultimate revelation within Islam. Early Christianity read the atrocities of the Old testament allegorically because the Bible is not the revelation of Christianity, Christ is, and the Bible was only useful insofar as its scriptures were opened and Christ held the key to the scriptures.
                          "By the tender mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace." (Luke 1:78-79)

The Light Eternal, breaking through,
                          the world to gleam anew;
                          His beams have pierced the core of night,
                          He makes us children of the light.

-Martin Luther

Comment

Originally posted by chrysostom View Post
                            have you?
                            Yes.
                            And have read some commentaries both negative and positive.
                            Interestingly Karen Armstrong has written quite movingly in a positive sense about the best aspects of Islam.

Comment

Pugh Report just out:

Among U.S. Muslims, 81% say suicide bombing or other forms of violence against civilians in the name of Islam are never justified. And the new study finds the global median for Muslims who agree on that is 72%.

However, the report finds, "substantial minorities in several countries say such acts of violence are at least sometimes justified, including 26% of Muslims in Bangladesh, 29% in Egypt, 39% in Afghanistan and 40% in the Palestinian territories.
                              Atheism is a advertising nightmare as in what you see is what you get and when you die that's it. - DaveDodo007

Totally depraved doctrine.
                              Uncertain salvation.
                              Luck of the draw.
                              Irresistible damnation.
                              Persecution of the saints.

Courtesy of Desert Reign

Comment

Working...
                              X