Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are all our righteousnesses filthy rags or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECT: Are all our righteousnesses filthy rags or not?

When we look at the verse that phrase comes from in context, we see that there are two different groups of people being compared to each other, not a single group that represents all of humanity.
    I highlighted the two different groups in different colors, the righteous in YELLOW and the wicked in GREEN:

Isaiah 64:4-7
    4 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.
    5 Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou art wroth; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we shall be saved.
    6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
    7 And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

So, how did the righteousnesses of the second group become like filthy rags?
    The righteous turned away from their righteousness and sinned (Isaiah 64:5), which means that all the righteousness they did when they were righteous will no longer count as righteousness.
    By sinning, the righteous became the wicked and lost all claim to their righteousnesses, meaning those righteousnesses are now as useful as "filthy rags" in God's sight.

Ezekiel 18:24
    24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

The wicked group was part of the righteous group before they sinned.
    The wicked can change groups and be in the righteous group again by repenting.
    By repenting, the wicked can have their righteousnesses counted and they will no longer be as useless as "filthy rags" in God's sight.

Ezekiel 18:21-22
    21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
    22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.

Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Originally posted by genuineoriginal View Post

When we look at the verse that phrase comes from in context, we see that there are two different groups of people being compared to each other, not a single group that represents all of humanity.
    I highlighted the two different groups in different colors, the righteous in YELLOW and the wicked in GREEN:

Isaiah 64:4-7
    4 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.
    5 Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou art wroth; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we shall be saved.
    6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
    7 And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

So, how did the righteousnesses of the second group become like filthy rags?
    The righteous turned away from their righteousness and sinned (Isaiah 64:5), which means that all the righteousness they did when they were righteous will no longer count as righteousness.
    By sinning, the righteous became the wicked and lost all claim to their righteousnesses, meaning those righteousnesses are now as useful as "filthy rags" in God's sight.

Ezekiel 18:24
    24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

The wicked group was part of the righteous group before they sinned.
    The wicked can change groups and be in the righteous group again by repenting.
    By repenting, the wicked can have their righteousnesses counted and they will no longer be as useless as "filthy rags" in God's sight.

Ezekiel 18:21-22
    21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
    22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.
    What you should learn from the scripture is there is none righteous but Christ, even now your righteousness is still filthy rags. So, tell me what it is that you have done to claim righteousness. Your righteousness does appear yellow.

Comment

I cannot work my way into heaven. However, I believe in living a Chrisitan Life. I give all glory to my Lord Jesus and God the Father. I take no credit whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Cntrysner View Post
        What you should learn from the scripture is there is none righteous but Christ, even now your righteousness is still filthy rags. So, tell me what it is that you have done to claim righteousness. Your righteousness does appear yellow.
        So then refute his argument!
        sigpic
        "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley D View Post
          I cannot work my way into heaven. However, I believe in living a Chrisitan Life. I give all glory to my Lord Jesus and God the Father. I take no credit whatsoever.
          Why?

I'm not trying to say you're wrong. It's just that those four sentences, rather than being the whole thing, seem more like they should be the introduction to something more substantive than just a quick statement of your personal opinion.

For example...

We are told that we will be given rewards in Heaven based on what we've done during our physical lives. Do you intend to refuse these rewards? If not, then isn't, "I take no credit whatseover.", overstating your case?
          sigpic
          "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

Originally posted by Clete View Post
            So then refute his argument!
            Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
            Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Comment

Why?

I'm not trying to say you're wrong. It's just that those four sentences, rather than being the whole thing, seem more like they should be the introduction to something more substantive than just a quick statement of your personal opinion.

For example...

We are told that we will be given rewards in Heaven based on what we've done during our physical lives. Do you intend to refuse these rewards? If not, then isn't, "I take no credit whatseover.", overstating your case?
              The rewards we collect belong to Christ. All righteousness is Christ working in us.

I believe the day this sinner meets Christ I will fall on my knees and give Him all the credit.

Comment

The rewards we collect belong to Christ. All righteousness is Christ working in us.

I believe the day this sinner meets Christ I will fall on my knees and give Him all the credit.
                If I give my son a baseball for his birthday, is it my baseball or his? He might say "thank you" and appreciate that he would not have it if it weren't for me. I can accept his thanks and appreciation and tell him "you're welcome" but the baseball is his, not mine. Otherwise it wouldn't be a gift.
                "The most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

Check out the "rightest" of all right wing moms. FarRightMom

Upgrade your TOL membership.

Comment

Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
                  Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
                  Are you incapable of making an actual argument or are you just lazy or simply not interested in do so or what?

The point wasn't for you to find three verses to quote out of their context. The point was for you to stop being a waste of bandwidth, apply yourself and produce something that is actually interested and worthwhile both for you to produce and for us to read.
                  sigpic

Comment

Are you incapable of making an actual argument or are you just lazy or simply not interested in do so or what?

The point wasn't for you to find three verses to quote out of their context. The point was for you to stop being a waste of bandwidth, apply yourself and produce something that is actually interested and worthwhile both for you to produce and for us to read.
                    You need to address the scripture I provided since you challenged me first when I did not address you at the beginning, meanwhile I will stand on your righteousness is filthy rags. So, educate me and I will give you the honor that you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Poly View Post
                      If I give my son a baseball for his birthday, is it my baseball or his? He might say "thank you" and appreciate that he would not have it if it weren't for me. I can accept his thanks and appreciation and tell him "you're welcome" but the baseball is his, not mine. Otherwise it wouldn't be a gift.
                      There is no gift that a true receiver can claim ownership even if he possesses it for a time because the receiver should know he did not earn the gift, and if the receiver accepts the gift he must pass it on or give it back to the will of a giver, it's called heritage. If the revived doesn't abide by this rule of gifting then all will be lost.

Edit: We should not be children.
                      Last edited by Cntrysner; October 9th, 2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

If you receive the gift of eternity that is in Christ and someone sees the gift in you then you should immediately educate the seer that it is not truly yours, proclaim that the gift is Christ's alone and you will do well for the learning of the potential seer lest he stubble in self righteousness.

Edit: Christ considered the Father in such a way. The gift is God's alone and only He deserves the glory as the author and finisher.

Comment

My father in law left a sizable amount and I am incharge of his willed. I know why he willed it to my wife and me being the head of part of his family must pass it on and to honor him for it I intend to leave more and if I don't, I did not honor my father in law's original intent. Even though what he willed is mine now by law as head, I truly can never claim it and will by all my power honor the intent of his will to his lineage and if I don't what kind of man am I if I don't add to it? I took ownership and gave some gifts from it to my adult children but with this stipulation.... use it and enjoy it but you should pass it on. Honor the original giver with all as men should do.

Comment

You need to address the scripture I provided since you challenged me first when I did not address you at the beginning, meanwhile I will stand on your righteousness is filthy rags. So, educate me and I will give you the honor that you deserve.
                            So you want to start by ignoring Genuine Original's argument and now you want me to sanction your having done so by engaging your non-argument?

That isn't going to happen.

Genuine Original has made an argument. A good one at that. I'm not saying he's right or wrong but if you want an argument to respond to, then read the opening post and refute the arguments that he made.
                            sigpic

Comment

There is no gift that a true receiver can claim ownership even if he possesses it for a time because the receiver should know he did not earn the gift, and if the receiver accepts the gift he must pass it on or give it back to the will of a giver, it's called heritage. If the revived doesn't abide by this rule of gifting then all will be lost.
                              So when Jesus gives the gift of salvation, we should give it back to Him? I think he'd say, "That's silly. You keep it. I don't need it. I'm perfect and don't need my own salvation to save myself."

We should not be children.
                              "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God." Romans 8:16

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name." John 1:12

"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:26

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." Romans 8:14
                              "The most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

Check out the "rightest" of all right wing moms. FarRightMom

Upgrade your TOL membership.

Comment

Working...
                              X