ECT The Calvinist 5 Solas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Oh, no it isn't. Your persistence in either making hasty generalizations or misrepresenting Calvinists for years shouldn't really impress anyone. The reason they don't "put it in those terms" is because they don't agree to the straw man you have been accustomed to pushing down. Calvinist doctrine, clearly teaches that all men merit condemnation and that God's predestination is to save some from the just consequences of their sins. Sproul addresses this in "Chosen by God." page 119 says this..

Speaking of the differences between, infralapsarian, sublapsarian and supralapsarian forms of Calvinism, you said:

You said:

I assure you the differences are just as valid as the distinctions. Yes, we all believe that God chose specific individuals (as do Arminians). There are those who argue that God predestined a “plan” but not individuals, but that silly idea is quickly dispelled by the scriptures. Second, Calvinists do not believe there is a “why” that is any of your or my business. God did not choose who He would predestine based on any merit or value in the objects of His predestination. Nor did God do based on His foreknowledge of how we would respond when we heard the gospel. Thus, God did so for his own glory, by His own secret counsel of His will, which all of the quotes you happened to lift from the institutes are conveying.

Nevertheless, I see where you are erring here. You fundamentally misunderstand the gospel.

The entire gospel is predicated upon the fact that, were God to execute justice, all would perish. The gospel is necessary because all men deserve hell. Get this wrong and you telegraph that you either haven’t read the book of Romans or you still don’t get it.
The gospel is necessary because the cross satisfied the just condemnation for all who Jesus said the Father would give to Him, and all who the Father has given to Jesus will come to Jesus. (John 6:37). All of them, every single one. The rest die in their sins (John 8:24).

Yes, the reason there is no reasoning or communication to be realized amongst free willers and/or dispensationalists, is their ignorance of the doctrine of Total Depravity.

Adam, as federal head of the human race, corrupted the human nature of all mankind by his unbelief and sinful act. Corruption is the result of human failure and continues to be so until the end of time.

What is also greatly missing in the questions put forth by others, is any mention of Godly pardon.

Being absolutely sovereign over His creatures, and King of heaven and earth, God has the power to pardon guilty persons, condemned to a death sentence. The doctrine of Election when presented and taught, does not condemn souls already condemned. John 3:18-19

The doctrine of Unconditional Election reveals that God has chosen to save many through the means of forgiveness & legal pardon, based upon the righteous obedience and vicarious death of Jesus Christ.

Attempts to discuss the pardoning worked through Solus Christus is almost always interrupted and opposed by proponents of free will choices.

The natural man wants to save himself and mistakenly thinks his witness can overcome the condemnation already issued against others . . he wants to be Savior through the power of his will . . rather than believing, resting, trusting, and glorifying the power of the will of Sovereign God.

Sigh.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Your question about the fire rescue.
How does that question not answer itself?!

Listen Nang, seriously. If you think that the answer to that question is anything but completely obvious then you really really really need to do some serious soul searching concerning just what this poisonous doctrine you believe in has done to your ability to discern right from wrong!

I wouldn't allow someone to watch my kids who didn't have any more ability to tell right from wrong than that!

A person who sets your house on fire and then runs to your rescue is worthy of death, not your thanks and certainly not praise as a saving hero!
We're talking sociopath level stuff here, Nang! What sort of perverted sick-minded fool would think otherwise and yet that is precisely what you think God has done to you!

Your continual attitude of showing ire over the fact that Calvinists honestly witness to the fact that salvation is not universal.
Well that's just stupidity! Good grief Nang are you actually stupid, as in, do you have brain damage or a congenital mental impairment?

If so, you might have an excuse for the hideous things you say about God on this forum.

Those who believe that God became a man, lived a perfect (sinless) life, died the death that they deserve and rose from the dead will be saved.

Those who do not believe that will not be saved.

John 3:18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”​

Nang

TOL Subscriber
How does that question not answer itself?!

Listen Nang, seriously. If you think that the answer to that question is anything but completely obvious then you really really really need to do some serious soul searching concerning just what this poisonous doctrine you believe in has done to your ability to descern anything?

I wouldn't allow someone to watch my kids who didn't have any more ability to tell right from wrong than that and they're teenagers!

A person who sets your house on fire and then runs to your rescue is worthy of death, not your thanks and certainly not praise as a saving hero!

What sort of perverted sick-minded fool would think otherwise and yet that is precisely what you think God has done to you!

Well that's just stupidity! Good greif Nang are you actually stupid, as in, do you have brain damaged or a congenital mental imparement?

If so, you might have an excuse for the hidious things you say about God on this forum.

Those who believe that God became a man, lived a perfect (sinless) life, died the death that they deserve and rose from the dead will be saved.

Those who do not believe that will not be saved.

John 3:18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”​

Why do you blame God for Adam's sin?

genuineoriginal

Why do you blame God for Adam's sin?
John Calvin is the person blaming God for Adam's sin.

“The first man fell because the Lord deemed it meet that he should.”
~John Calvin

“I freely acknowledge my doctrine to be this: that Adam fell, not only by the permission of God, but by His very secret, the counsil and decree …”
~John Calvin

“God not only foresaw the fall of the first man, and in him the ruin of his posterity; but also at his own pleasure arranged it.”
~John Calvin

“I again ask how it is that the fall of Adam involves so many nations with their infant children in eternal death without remedy unless that it so seemed meet to God? Here the most loquacious tongues must be dumb. The decree, I admit, is, dreadful; and yet it is impossible to deny that God foreknew what the end of man was to be before he made him, and foreknew, because he had so ordained by his decree.”
~John Calvin

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Oh, no it isn't.
I quoted it right out of the horses mouth.

Your persistence in either making hasty generalizations or misrepresenting Calvinists for years shouldn't really impress anyone.
I know that you do not impress me in the slightest.

I have a thread with hundreds of posts in it where I couldn't get a Calvinist to part ways with Calvin's direct statement that God is arbitrary. No matter what I said, they would not step one inch away from a word of it.

Will you?

The reason they don't "put it in those terms" is because they don't agree to the straw man you have been accustomed to pushing down.
No it isn't. The reason they won't put in those terms is because a 3rd grade mental retard would know that it was false if they did!

It doesn't change the meaning of the words, it doesn't change what they actually believe! They absolutely do and would not ever deny that God is in meticulous control of every single event that occures, that those who are saved are saved because of God's choice which has no reason or cause other than God's will itself. People are not saved, according to the Calvinist, because they believe, in fact they only believe because they won the biggest comic lottery in all of existence, God's sovereign uncaused choice. They believe that if you are going to Hell it isn't because you were evil but rather because you're evil because God created you to be so and for NO OTHER REASON!

Now, that's what they believe whether you want to acknowledge it or not!

Calvinist doctrine, clearly teaches that all men merit condemnation and that God's predestination is to save some from the just consequences of their sins. Sproul addresses this in "Chosen by God." page 119 says this..
This is how we must understand double predestination. God gives mercy to the elect by working faith in their hearts. He gives justice to the reprobate by leaving them in their own sins. There is no symmetry here. One group receives mercy, The other group receives justice. No one is a victim of injustice. None can complain that there is unrighteousness in God. (R.C. Sproul, "Chosen by God" page 119

I just want to vomit! :vomit:

GOD IS NOT UNJUST!

Mercy is NOT the opposite of justice!

How can anyone worship such a twisted sick perverted disgusting god as Sproul espouses!

OMG! I want to punch him in his face!

-------------

Calming down.....

-------------

Sproul is a typical Calvinist heretic who speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

Remember what I said about how the Calvinist brain is compartmentalized to the point that they do not notice when they contradict themselves. This is a terrific example of that except you can't see it because you didn't bother to quote anything he said about why God predestines some to Heaven and others to Hell or what he has to say about whether those who do evil do so because they choose to or whether God predestined that they would.

I'd quote them myself but it wouldn't move you an inch if I did and I'm short on time. Suffice it to say that Sproul believes that your will is both free and determined. That you always choose according to your strongest desire and that human beings always desire evil and are incapable of doing rightly unless and until God regenerates you which is done by His choice and not your own. He (Sproul) effectively preaches the same as Augustine (Calvinism is nothing really other than Reformed Augustinian doctrine) that “We still have free will, but not liberty,” which is to say that man makes choices but has no moral liberty. Thus God's sends people to an eternal torment for actions that they could not have avoided performing. In other words, moral liberty, when discussing whether God's punishment of sin is just, is the only sort of liberty that counts! People aren't sent to Hell because they chose to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead of cheese and crackers. They're sent to Hell because they chose to rebel against the living God, which is a moral choice! The reason that's just is because they could have chosen otherwise, an ability which Sproul rejects entirely.

So, again, a rose by any other name is still a rose. They can dress their doctrine up in all kinds of fancy words and sermons that tickle the ears and sound reasonable but at the end of the day, they believe that every single thing that happens does so because God planned it, predestined it, ordained it and ordered it to happen and for no other reason - period. If your house is on fire its because God wanted it to be. If you soul is damned - same reason.

Speaking of the differences between, infralapsarian, sublapsarian and supralapsarian forms of Calvinism, you said:

I assure you the differences are just as valid as the distinctions.
Saying it doesn't make it so and that wasn't what I was saying anyway. It was your point that made a distinction without a difference, which I explained quite clearly and won't do so again.

Yes, we all believe that God chose specific individuals (as do Arminians).
You are delusional.

There are those who argue that God predestined a “plan” but not individuals, but that silly idea is quickly dispelled by the scriptures.
He predestined neither.

Second, Calvinists do not believe there is a “why” that is any of your or my business.
Repeating your doctrine does not count as a rebuttal to the argument I've already made against it.

God did not choose who He would predestine based on any merit or value in the objects of His predestination. Nor did God do based on His foreknowledge of how we would respond when we heard the gospel. Thus, God did so for his own glory, by His own secret counsel of His will, which all of the quotes you happened to lift from the institutes are conveying.
The quotes convey what they say and they mean precisely what the seem to mean, as you have just conceded.

You are a Christian in name only. No man can be saved by believing blasphemy.

Nevertheless, I see where you are erring here. You fundamentally misunderstand the gospel.

The entire gospel is predicated upon the fact that, were God to execute justice, all would perish.
No it isn't!

That's your hideous doctrine, not the gospel!

God had His Son die as a propitiation. Do you know what that word means? It's basically synonymous with the word "atonement". It's a reparation or restitution; a payment of a debt owed.

Christ, by his own choice, was penalized in the place of sinners, thus satisfying the demands of justice so God can justly forgive sin and save people from Hell by applying Christ's payment to their account.

Otherwise, there was no need for Christ to die.

The gospel is necessary because all men deserve hell. Get this wrong and you telegraph that you either haven’t read the book of Romans or you still don’t get it.
The gospel is necessary because the cross satisfied the just condemnation for all who Jesus said the Father would give to Him, and all who the Father has given to Jesus will come to Jesus. (John 6:37). All of them, every single one. The rest die in their sins (John 8:24).
You Calvinists disgust me!

You want to limit the value of God's life!

God's life is of inestimable, infinite, inexhaustible value! He died for the entire world (John 3:16). Those who believe, God is able to justly forgive because the store house of payment for sin is filled to overflowing with the blood of Christ.

Now, let me quickly address your attempt at interpreting Ezekiel in order to try and contradict Paul in Romans.
I have not interpreted anything. I simply told you to read it. It means precisely what it seems to mean. Literally any third grade child could read that chapter and understand what it means. It's takes a Calvinist fool to get it wrong.

Lets start with a few observations.

[*] Ezekiel 18 is not in contrast or contradiction to Romans 5:12.
You wouldn't know Romans 5 from indigestion caused by week old pizza.

[*]Paul’s statements concerning the guiltiness we all have before God still stands despite your attempts to brush them aside (Romans 2:1, 3:9. 3:23, Galatians 3:22).
When did I ever make any such attempt? You flatly have no idea at all what you're talking about.

Ezekiel 18 blows Calvinism to pieces not the Apostle Paul! It's the totally unbiblical notions of original sin and total depravity that God directly contradicts by His own words in Ezekiel 18, not the notion that all of have chosen to rebel against God and it is that rebellion and not Adam's which condemns us (Romans 5:12-21).

[*]Nobody gets to heaven apart from the forgiveness of their sins through the shed blood of Jesus.
[/LIST]
This single point is generally true and in an important sense it is universally true but not everyone who makes it to Heaven will have ever heard of Jesus Christ prior to their natural death (Romans 2:12-15).

Which of these points do you disagree with?
I don't think you have any idea what one tenth of the book of Romans is talking about. You couldn't possibly. Practically every concept in the English language that has any religious connotation to it has been twisted and perverted into what it very often it's opposite by the Calvinist delusion that pervades and poisons your mind.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

~John Calvin

“I freely acknowledge my doctrine to be this: that Adam fell, not only by the permission of God, but by His very secret, the counsil and decree …”
~John Calvin

“God not only foresaw the fall of the first man, and in him the ruin of his posterity; but also at his own pleasure arranged it.”
~John Calvin

“I again ask how it is that the fall of Adam involves so many nations with their infant children in eternal death without remedy unless that it so seemed meet to God? Here the most loquacious tongues must be dumb. The decree, I admit, is, dreadful; and yet it is impossible to deny that God foreknew what the end of man was to be before he made him, and foreknew, because he had so ordained by his decree.”
~John Calvin

Exactly!

Do you by chance have the references for those quotes? Which book, chapter, etc?

Are they all Institutes book three chapter 23?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Are you drunk?

Explain to me how on God's Earth you came to the notion that I blaim anyone other than Adam for Adam's sin?

Go ahead! Explain it to me!

You deny that Adam is to blame for all human corruption, so if Adam is not to blame, who is left?

And why the need for God to provide the 2nd Adam, Jesus Christ, if not to reverse the damage the first Adam caused.

IOW's failure to understand the fruits of the first Adam, cause you to fail to comprehend the benefits provided in the last Adam, Jesus Christ.

Your arguments are not studied or well thought out, but only emotional and superficial as usual.

And Sproul is no longer . . he passed on quite some time ago now.

genuineoriginal

Exactly!

Do you by chance have the references for those quotes? Which book, chapter, etc?

In order:
Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book III, Ch. 23, Sect. 8.
Calvin, On the Secret Providence of God, 267.
Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book III, Ch. 23, Sect. 7.
Ibid, Book II, Ch. 23, Sect. 7.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

~John Calvin

~John Calvin

~John Calvin

~John Calvin

Foreknowledge, and willful permission do not equate cause.

Calvin nor any Reformer declares God to be the author of Adam's sin.

God gave Adam choice. Isn't that what you believe?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
You deny that Adam is to blame for all human corruption, so if Adam is not to blame, who is left?
Death spead to all men BECAUSE ALL SINNED.

That's not my opinion, that a quote of Romans 5

And why the need for God to provide the 2nd Adam, Jesus Christ, if not to reverse the damage the first Adam caused.
Jesus was not the 2nd Adam, He was the Last Adam. There is a difference. You and you're sola scriptura!

And it was precisely the curse that Adam brought that Jesus did undo and much more than that! It is precisely Jesus' death that enables God to say "The soul who sins shall die. But if a man is just, he shall surely live!"

And, once again, that isn't my opinion nor did I make that quote up. It comes solely from scripture itself!

IOW's failure to understand the fruits of the first Adam, cause you to fail to comprehend the benefits provided in the last Adam, Jesus Christ.
Who is IOW?

And you talking to me about what I don't comprehend is an actaul laugh riot! I actually did laugh outloud! :rotfl:

Your arguments are not studied or well thought out, but only emotional and superficial as usual.
Then refute them!

I dare you to try!

And Sproul is no longer . . he passed on quite some time ago now.
He is no longer a Calvinist either.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
In order:
Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book III, Ch. 23, Sect. 8.
Calvin, On the Secret Providence of God, 267.
Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book III, Ch. 23, Sect. 7.
Ibid, Book II, Ch. 23, Sect. 7.

Anyone following this conversation, please avail yourself of the actual and complete text (it is online) of the Institutes in order to see that what has been quoted here are portions of arguments and stated opposition against Calvins' beliefs. His answers are exempted from GO's post.

genuineoriginal

Foreknowledge, and willful permission do not equate cause.
"ordained by his decree" does equate cause.
Calvin nor any Reformer declares God to be the author of Adam's sin.
It sounds like it to me.

“I admit that in this miserable condition wherein men are now bound, all of Adam’s children have fallen by God’s will.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 4)

God gave Adam choice. Isn't that what you believe?
I believe God gave Adam and all of mankind free-will: the ability to choose whether to obey God or disobey God.

Jerry Shugart

My point is that you are trying to force something on scripture that isn't there. You are saying that because someone is blind, that means they have eyes and so they should be able to see.

That is not what I am saying. Instead, I said that Satan blinded those who are perishing to the truth of the gospel. That can only mean that those who are perishing had the ability to see the light of the gospel because it is impossible to blind someone who is already blind.

This directly contradicts the Calvinist's teaching about their idea of a so called "effectual calling."

Dialogos

Clete:

Clete:
I quoted it right out of the horses mouth.
You are very good at misquoting Calvin.

Clete:
I know that you do not impress me in the slightest.
Don’t care.

Clete:
I have a thread with hundreds of posts in it where I couldn't get a Calvinist to part ways with Calvin's direct statement that God is arbitrary. No matter what I said, they would not step one inch away from a word of it.

Will you?
How many of those hundreds of posts contain Calvinists telling you that you are misrepresenting Calvinism?

I’m fine disagreeing with Calvin, I’m a Reformed Baptist. Calvin was strongly paedo-Baptist.

Clete:
No it isn't. The reason they won't put in those terms is because a 3rd grade mental retard would know that it was false if they did!
In other words, you have been confronted with the truth that you are misrepresenting Calvinism and have made a practice of pushing down straw men and you prefer that to actually doing the intellectually honest work of accurately representing the system you aim to critique.

Clete:
It doesn't change the meaning of the words, it doesn't change what they actually believe! They absolutely do and would not ever deny that God is in meticulous control of every single event that occures, that those who are saved are saved because of God's choice which has no reason or cause other than God's will itself.
Of course God is in meticulous control of every event. Name me the events where you think God fell asleep at the wheel.

Clete:
People are not saved, according to the Calvinist, because they believe,…
False.

.. in fact they only believe because they won the biggest comic lottery in all of existence, God's sovereign uncaused choice.
You think something or someone caused God to choose?

Who?

What?

For what reason?

Clete:

They believe that if you are going to Hell it isn't because you were evil but rather because you're evil because God created you to be so and for NO OTHER REASON!
I’m sure there are some non-compatibilist Calvinists that believe this but most affirm the sentiments of the Westminster Confession.

Westminster Confession of Faith:
God, from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass: yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.
That’s the confession of faith held to by scores of Calvinists throughout for centuries. I’d bet the Clete Online Calvinistic Confession isn’t subscribed to by a single Calvinist.

Have fun pushing down the straw man.

Mercy is NOT the opposite of justice!

How can anyone worship such a twisted sick perverted disgusting god as Sproul espouses!

OMG! I want to punch him in his face!
Spare us all your tantrum, virtually no one cares about your inability to manage your anger.

Try and focus.

Who said they were opposite? But even the third grader you referenced above can understand that the innocent don’t need mercy.

Clete:
Remember what I said about how the Calvinist brain is compartmentalized to the point that they do not notice when they contradict themselves. This is a terrific example of that except you can't see it because you didn't bother to quote anything he said about why God predestines some to Heaven and others to Hell or what he has to say about whether those who do evil do so because they choose to or whether God predestined that they would.
First, your assessment of a “Calvinist brain” is inconsequential. No one should care. Second, you make the foolish assumption that God’s decree and man’s agency is somehow mutually exclusive despite the fact that you appear to have a rudimentary understanding of compatibilism.

In reality, whether you are a strong determinist predestinarian or a Greg Boyd style open theist, man's agency is always subordinate to God's decree. Everything that comes to pass is always in accordance with God’s decree, and it is frankly, dumb to state otherwise.

Clete:
He predestined neither.

For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. (Romans 8:29-30 ESV)
Clearly, the bible says “people” are the object of God’s predestination.

Clete:
Repeating your doctrine does not count as a rebuttal to the argument I've already made against it.
You’ve yet to make an argument against my doctrine.

Clete:
Christ, by his own choice, was penalized in the place of sinners, thus satisfying the demands of justice so God can justly forgive sin and save people from Hell by applying Christ's payment to their account.
Mostly right. But God doesn’t owe anyone forgiveness. Forgiveness isn’t a matter of justice.

“And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience-- among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ-- by grace you have been saved-- and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. (Ephesians 2:1-7 ESV)”

It was God’s mercy that made us alive together with Christ. We were justly, objects of God’s wrath. We have been made, mercifully, alive together with Christ.

Clete:
You want to limit the value of God's life!

God's life is of inestimable, infinite, inexhaustible value! He died for the entire world (John 3:16).
You completely misunderstand John 3:16. It isn’t a statement on the breadth of Christ's atonement, common, rookie mistake. It’s a statement on the way God chose to love the world.

The Holman Christian Bible translates “ουτω” best.

“For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. (Joh 3:16 CSB)”

In reality, you are the one limiting the value of the death of the Son of God. Your atonement doesn't save anyone, it merely makes men savable by themselves.

Clete:
Ezekiel 18 blows Calvinism to pieces not the Apostle Paul! It's the totally unbiblical notions of original sin and total depravity that God directly contradicts by His own words in Ezekiel 18
Wrong.

“For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous. (Rom 5:19 ESV)”

Case closed.

Ezekiel isn't disputing original sin in Chapter 18. God is saying that I'm responsible for my own sinful actions, not the sinful actions of my father. But I wasn't born Tabula Rasa, capable of living a perfect, pristine life that never needed the blood of Christ. No, both my father and I are sinners. We both were born with a sin nature inherited by our first parents that eventually rears its ugly head in both of our lives. He dies for his sinful actions, I die for mine. We were both born sinners because of Adam. Romans 5:19 isn't erased by Ezekiel 18.

Clete: This single point is generally true and in an important sense it is universally true but not everyone who makes it to Heaven will have ever heard of Jesus Christ prior to their natural death.
So?

By the way, Romans 2 does not teach that some gentiles earned their way into eternal salvation by obedience to a law they knew by instinct, this is a perverted doctrine of your own mind and you should repent of it. The whole point of Romans 2 was to preface the conclusion of Romans 3:23.

Last edited:

nikolai_42

That is not what I am saying. Instead, I said that Satan blinded those who are perishing to the truth of the gospel. That can only mean that those who are perishing had the ability to see the light of the gospel because it is impossible to blind someone who is already blind.

This directly contradicts the Calvinist's teaching about their idea of a so called "effectual calling."

But why would that person believe to begin with? Paul says the vail is taken away in Christ. But that means they have to be in Christ to have the vail taken away. Which means they have to choose to not be blind. But it's Satan that blinded them, then it isn't of their own free will...right? You either believe or you don't. You don't decide one day to believe. Those that don't believe are condemned already. But if Satan has blinded these unbelievers (because they are unbelievers), then you must believe they are irrevocably lost. Because if believing is a choice, that's clearly not their situation now (because Satan blinded them - they aren't blind by their own wills).

Dialogos

Jerry,

You said:
I said that Satan blinded those who are perishing to the truth of the gospel. That can only mean that those who are perishing had the ability to see the light of the gospel because it is impossible to blind someone who is already blind.

When do you think Satan blinds those who can otherwise see? Everyone all at once at a certain date? What about those who are born after Satan did his blinding? Maybe Satan blinds everyone at a certain age, what age is that?

The way you are contorting that passage robs it of its plain meaning.

But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God's word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God. And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:2-6 ESV)

The emphasis isn't that Satan, on a particular calendar date, blinded everyone who was able to see the gospel beforehand. The clear emphasis is that the minds of unbelievers has been blinded by Satan and that's what keeps them from seeing the light of the gospel. The only solution is God shining in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Jerry Shugart

But why would that person believe to begin with?

Because people were told that in order to be saved they must believe:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"
(Acts 16:30-31).

Paul says the vail is taken away in Christ. But that means they have to be in Christ to have the vail taken away. Which means they have to choose to not be blind. But it's Satan that blinded them, then it isn't of their own free will...right? You either believe or you don't. You don't decide one day to believe.

No, a person has to hear the gospel first before they can believe (Ro.10:14-15). And Paul made it plain that even those who are perishing have the ability to believe the gospel. And that directly contradicts the Calvinist's teach of a so-called "effectual calling."

Calvinists also teach that regeneration precedes faith but John made it plain that life comes as a result of believing and it does not precede believing. He wrote:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31. But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."
(Jn.20:30-31).​

Confusion reigns supreme in the Calvinist community!

Status
Not open for further replies.