ECT Food Sacrificed to Idols

nikolai_42

I don't reject any book of the book of the Bible. I understand them all in their proper context.

Blah, blah, blah....

If you cannot understand what I wrote, there is no use in me continuing.

Sorry...that was my shorthand...I don't think you reject it (i.e. outright) either. But if I understand correctly, you don't believe it's meant for you. Rather, it's meant for Israel. Your response was a one-liner, which led me to believe that the answer was really that simple (i.e. what was for the Corinthians does not carry over to what was for the churches at Pergamos and Thyatira because they were two different audiences written in two ENTIRELY different contexts and so no comparison can be made). If it's more complex than that, then I hope you can expand on it.

nikolai_42

I think part of that goes to what Paul experienced in Thyatira. Acts 16 goes into some of what he experienced there and a description of the spiritual condition of the area itself. I don't think we can speak to the characterization without going into the details of the wickedness in each city. Jesus called Thyatira the seat of Satan. That's pretty wicked. I would call it immersed in evil as the businessmen there who owned a devil possessed woman tried to use her to make money off of Paul's and Cyrus' missionary efforts. They got mad enough when Paul stopped her to throw him in jail.

In relation to evil there are things that a person just can't unsee or unknow once they know them, even if they wish they didn't know what they now know. An example would be Adam and Eve. There are things I got into during my lifetime before I met Jesus that I don't like to go into for just that reason. With relation to knowledge of evil ignorance is bliss. It's a huge mistake to go looking for it to try to understand it.

I completely agree with that approach.

As to the differences between Balaam and Jezebel, I think, and this is at least partly supposition on my part, that as evil as Balaam was in his greed, Jezebel was far worse. She used Ahab to corrupt the entire nation of Israel. In other words, between the two of them she was the one wearing the pants, so to speak. If you read those stories she was the one that talked Ahab into murdering Naboth for his vineyard. That was extremely serious as a family's land was to stay in that family forever. Her brand of pagan worship was extremely evil. The temple rites were all about sex and they had priestesses as well as priests. From my understanding all of them, priests and priestesses, were prostitutes. That religion also involved the worship of the dead. All of these things are things God said were an abomination to Him. In my mind Balaam sold out his integrity. Jezebel, the daughter of a pagan king, was just pure evil and most likely had a close connection to the devil himself. I say that partly because of Jesus' comments on Thyatira being the seat of Satan, and the rest on just how evil Jezebel really was.

I hope this helps. I have to admit to a fair amount of ignorance in this area as I have not studied this in depth nor spent any real amount of time on it like I have in many other areas of Bible study. Your questions were good for me as they have prompted me to study this area in much greater detail than I ever have before. You piqued my curiosity.

One more thing just occurred to me. Paul called the worship of Diana the worship of demons. She was, as a goddess, a spiritual descendant of Ashtoreth. Ashtoreth was one of Jezebel's gods. Therefore she was directly involved in demon worship. Now you won't find the name of Jezebel directly linked to Ashtoreth, but she was the daughter of the king of the Sidonians. One of the heathen practices of Solomon was the worship of Asthoreth, who the Bible says was the goddess of the Sidonians. 1Kings 11:5 and 1Kings 16:31

Thank you. I will have to search that connection out.

Right Divider

Body part
Sorry...that was my shorthand...I don't think you reject it (i.e. outright) either. But if I understand correctly, you don't believe it's meant for you.
The entire Bible is for everyone's learning... but it does NOT all describe everyone... nor is it ALL for everyone's obedience.

Rather, it's meant for Israel.
I showed you a number of distinctly and explicitly Israeli things.

Your response was a one-liner, which led me to believe that the answer was really that simple (i.e. what was for the Corinthians does not carry over to what was for the churches at Pergamos and Thyatira because they were two different audiences written in two ENTIRELY different contexts and so no comparison can be made). If it's more complex than that, then I hope you can expand on it.
Just read chapters 2 & 3 of the book of Revelation without bias and it's very easy to see the context.

Gary K

Banned
The entire Bible is for everyone's learning... but it does NOT all describe everyone... nor is it ALL for everyone's obedience.

Just read chapters 2 & 3 of the book of Revelation without bias and it's very easy to see the context.

The problem with that idea is that both chapters 2 and 3 are within the context of the rest of the book of Revelation. And nowhere in Revelation does it say that the apostles are the judges. It clearly shows that that God is the judge. John is just relaying a message from God as that is the duty/job of a prophet, and he portrays himself as an observer who is learning about what is going on throughout the book . To get what you do out of chapters 2 and 3 it must be read into the passage for it is clearly not within the overall context of the book of Revelation.

Right Divider

Body part
The problem with that idea is that both chapters 2 and 3 are within the context of the rest of the book of Revelation. And nowhere in Revelation does it say that the apostles are the judges. It clearly shows that that God is the judge.
Indeed, God is judging the whole world there. But in the end, there are twelve foundations with the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Twelve is the number associated with Israel and the twelve apostles will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

It is things like this that make people come up with the crazy idea that the body of Christ is "spiritual Israel".

John is just relaying a message from God as that is the duty/job of a prophet, and he portrays himself as an observer who is learning about what is going on throughout the book .
John is ONE of the TWELVE apostles that will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

To get what you do out of chapters 2 and 3 it must be read into the passage for it is clearly not within the overall context of the book of Revelation.
I only used chapters 2 and 3 as examples. The WHOLE book is FULL of many, many more such examples.

Rev 21:9-14 KJV And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife. (10) And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, (11) Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal; (12) And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel: (13) On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. (14) And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Where is Paul in all of this?

Gary K

Banned
Indeed, God is judging the whole world there. But in the end, there are twelve foundations with the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Twelve is the number associated with Israel and the twelve apostles will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

It is things like this that make people come up with the crazy idea that the body of Christ is "spiritual Israel".

John is ONE of the TWELVE apostles that will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

I only used chapters 2 and 3 as examples. The WHOLE book is FULL of many, many more such examples.

Rev 21:9-14 KJV And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife. (10) And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, (11) Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal; (12) And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel: (13) On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. (14) And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Where is Paul in all of this?

You're reading this into the verses. The churches in Revelation chapters 2 and 3 are Gentile churches planted by Paul and his fellow missionaries for they are the churches found in Asia along the routes of Paul's journeys. Revelation 1:11 Paul's main mission was to the Gentiles so the churches he planted were composed mainly of Gentiles. Yet you want to make them Jewish churches. From what scripture do you get that idea?

Right Divider

Body part
You're reading this into the verses.
No, I am not.... I'm reading the verses and can see what they say.

The churches in Revelation chapters 2 and 3 are Gentile churches planted by Paul and his fellow missionaries for they are the churches found in Asia along the routes of Paul's journeys.
And just how did you come up with that idea?

Revelation 1:11 Paul's main mission was to the Gentiles so the churches he planted were composed mainly of Gentiles. Yet you want to make them Jewish churches. From what scripture do you get that idea?
I simply let the scripture speak for itself.

Please explain how this applies to a church of gentiles.

Rev 2:9 KJV I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Why would you think that a synagogue has anything to do with the body of Christ?
Why is claiming to be a Jew when you are not such a BIG issue that you are called the synagogue of Satan?

There are SO many references to Israel's history in chapters 2 and 3 and yet you just brush it off like it's nothing.

Just how does "the key of David" relate to the body of Christ? (HINT: It doesn't, it's about Israel's kingdom).

nikolai_42

I have a two-part question for you :

Do you believe spiritual promises are made to national/natural Israel? And do you believe those promises are ever of any direct application to the (Gentile) church?

You have said that the Bible does not describe or enjoin everyone universally, but the MAD context makes a division such that there appears to be little or no cross-application (i.e. to both Jew and Gentile) unless explicitly indicated. But it seems to me that there are several scriptures that at least imply that such a stark division is not warranted. Romans 2:29 and Ephesians 2:14 being two examples. I can see national Israel being given national promises that can not be ported over to anyone else, but what you seem to be doing in Revelation is using the OT imagery and certain wording to limit the scope of application. Paul called the church the temple of God. Stephen refers to the church in the wilderness in Acts 7:38. Paul frequently reasons and debates with Jews and Gentiles. The term synagogue refers to a gathering. In the LXX it is used in a Gentile context in several places.

My point (and I hope you will answer the question) is that seeing OT imagery should not be surprising since the things in the OT were shadows of the real (e.g. Heb 8:5) and unless there is actually Jew and Gentile in Christ, those spiritual things are not simply intended in a Jewish context.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Truster

In all the years I've been posting on here I have never read a post in which the word Yisra El (Israel) has been used in context and correctly applied.

"desiring to be teachers of the Law, understanding neither what they are saying nor that about which they confidently assert". Paul to Timothy.

Gary K

Banned
No, I am not.... I'm reading the verses and can see what they say.

And just how did you come up with that idea?

I simply let the scripture speak for itself.

Please explain how this applies to a church of gentiles.
Rev 2:9 KJV I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Why would you think that a synagogue has anything to do with the body of Christ?
Why is claiming to be a Jew when you are not such a BIG issue that you are called the synagogue of Satan?

There are SO many references to Israel's history in chapters 2 and 3 and yet you just brush it off like it's nothing.

Just how does "the key of David" relate to the body of Christ? (HINT: It doesn't, it's about Israel's kingdom).

Do you really think that is hard to explain? Let's go see what Paul said about that. You do accept Paul don't you?

Romans 2:24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.
[SIZE=+0]25[/SIZE] For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
[SIZE=+0]26[/SIZE] Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
[SIZE=+0]27[/SIZE] And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
[SIZE=+0]28[/SIZE] For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
[SIZE=+0]29[/SIZE] But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
[SIZE=+0]27[/SIZE] For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
[SIZE=+0]28[/SIZE] There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
[SIZE=+0]29[/SIZE] And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
[SIZE=+0]9[/SIZE] Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
[SIZE=+0]10[/SIZE] And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
[SIZE=+0]11[/SIZE] Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Ephesians 2:11 [FONT=&quot]Wherefore remember, that ye [/FONT][FONT=&quot]being[/FONT][FONT=&quot] in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]12[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]13[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]14[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition [/FONT][FONT=&quot]between us[/FONT][FONT=&quot];[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]15[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]even[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the law of commandments [/FONT][FONT=&quot]contained[/FONT][FONT=&quot] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]so[/FONT][FONT=&quot] making peace;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]16[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]17[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]18[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]19[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]20[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [/FONT][FONT=&quot]stone[/FONT][FONT=&quot];[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]21[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+0]22[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit. [/FONT]

I find my position to be fully supported by scripture.

Right Divider

Body part
I have a two-part question for you :

Do you believe spiritual promises are made to national/natural Israel? And do you believe those promises are ever of any direct application to the (Gentile) church?
Give some examples and we can discuss.

You have said that the Bible does not describe or enjoin everyone universally, but the MAD context makes a division such that there appears to be little or no cross-application (i.e. to both Jew and Gentile) unless explicitly indicated.
I have said NO SUCH THING.

God chose Israel for a purpose. Gentiles were ALWAYS welcome to JOIN with Israel.

Israel has a destiny to have a kingdom on the earth. That was a promise that God made to them.

The body of Christ has NO such promise. We, the body of Christ, have a different role to play. Paul explains this throughout his epistles.

But it seems to me that there are several scriptures that at least imply that such a stark division is not warranted. Romans 2:29 and Ephesians 2:14 being two examples.
Ah... the old "spiritual Israel" fix... Paul was actually talking about actual JEWS in that passage.

In the body of Christ there is no distinction between Jew and gentile. When God takes the body of Christ out of the world and comes again to establish His kingdom, there will once again be a distinction. The book of Revelation makes that clear. In the new Jerusalem ....

Just read it. It's quite clear.

I can see national Israel being given national promises that can not be ported over to anyone else, but what you seem to be doing in Revelation is using the OT imagery and certain wording to limit the scope of application.
Duh... that's exactly how it works. Just like James writes to the "twelve tribes scattered aboard"... you cannot ignore that and expect to actually understand what he is writing... Same with the book of Revelation written by ONE of the TWELVE apostles that will sit in TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of Israel.

Mat 19:28 KJV And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Luk 22:29-30 KJV And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; (30) That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Paul called the church the temple of God.
Please QUOTE the scripture that you are referring to so that we can discuss it.

Paul called individuals believers in the body of Christ the temple of God. 1 Cor 3:16

Stephen refers to the church in the wilderness in Acts 7:38.
The church in the wilderness is Israel.

Church is a very generic word. You cannot just say "church", you have to qualify it.

Paul frequently reasons and debates with Jews and Gentiles. The term synagogue refers to a gathering. In the LXX it is used in a Gentile context in several places.
Distractions....

Once AGAIN... why is it SO bad that someone who calls themselves a Jew when they are not that they are called the synagogue of Satan?

Rev 3:9 KJV Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

My point (and I hope you will answer the question) is that seeing OT imagery should not be surprising since the things in the OT were shadows of the real (e.g. Heb 8:5) and unless there is actually Jew and Gentile in Christ, those spiritual things are not simply intended in a Jewish context.
You try so hard to blur everything in to one that you cannot see any of the details. The Bible is a book of details.

Israel and the body of Christ are two things that God created.

Lon

The questions are these :

1. What is meant in these instances by eating things sacrificed to idols? (Please give a reasoned answer)
1 Corinthians 8:8-12; 10:6-13,14-33
Galatians 5:17

2. How does that square with Paul's word to the Corinthians (I Cor 8) about eating food sacrificed to idols?
The same: the concern, I believe, is indulging the flesh. Note the clear connection between 'eating' and sexual sin. Both are indulgences of the flesh to the disregard of the spirit. The Reformed believe in a sense of "Christian Hedonism" vs. unspiritual hedonism. We believe Paul and the Lord Jesus Christ are not condemning pleasure/pain in the flesh. Ice cream is good. Instead, these are guidelines for what is good and profitable in spiritual ways, vs. what may be good and pleasurable but hold no spiritual benefit and worse, may harm self and others. The world culture is bent upon the physical form of men and women by example, in movies, magazines, products etc. Paul says that while physical attention (exercise, looking good and healthy) is of some benefit, the spiritual is more important. The dichotomy is always that we are not just flesh, but spiritual beings and need to keep our intents always on spiritual things. "Football" discussion after church may be done with spiritual intent BUT we have to be careful that it isn't just an indulging of whims of the flesh (not sure if its a good example, but I'm trying to think of a few items that I know become idols (flesh, not spiritual, not God-focused or honoring).

3. How about with the Jerusalem Council's conclusions for the Gentiles in Acts 15:19-20?
To me, same idea: a man/woman focused on his/her spiritual man needs little instruction: They are trying to live for and through that nature 'naturally.' The problem is backsliding and inattention to the spiritual man. It leads to death, Paul says. He gives Christians warning in 1 Corinthians 3:15

"If a person is saved, what's the problem?" Simply this: We are wasting time and not living as if the goal is the Lord Jesus Christ and Holiness. It reaches further: Such causes another to stumble as well. A believer? His/her life is spent on things burned in the fire and gone with little to show. The unbeliever we 'help into the grave.' Paul goes further in 1 Corinthians 3 to say that doing such is destroying what is God's then in Chapter 13 says "And now I will show you a more excellent way."

4. How do the spiritual conditions of these two churches compare?
Same concern, perhaps greater extent of one and the other fleshly indulgence. What difference do you see?

nikolai_42

@Lon:

My reading of the letters to Thyatira and Pergamos is that the "Balaam" and "Jezebel" mentioned were essentially introducing their teachings covertly. Balaam seemed to make people stumble into the sin and Jezebel taught some to sin - but did so in such a way that they were caught up in it maybe before they were aware of what was going on. So Jezebel (more than Balaam) was initiating people into this eating of meat sacrificed to idols. By definition, I think, that is what the occult is. So it's my belief based on that (and the Lord's stopping short of exposing the dark doctrine any further to spare undefiled consciences) that Jezebel's following was really and actually being brought into some very deep and sinister idolatry. Even if just by the way it was denounced, the Balaam in Pergamos didn't seem to be as insidious as Jezebel (who led people to know "the depths of Satan"). I see this as far more spiritual than physical. There may have been physical working out - but in at least Thyatira, I think it was more wrapped up in spiritual filthiness than in Pergamos.

So when looking back to Acts and Paul's admonition to the Corinthians, I'm left with the impression that the Jerusalem council was trying to warn Gentiles against even the hint of involvement with physical idolatry. Not that they disagreed with Paul (I can't imagine they did) but rather that the chief dangers of the day involved pagan idolatry and sexual immorality (often directly connected one with another). Paul - I guess - was trying to avoid the nearsightedness associated with legalism and making the food itself sinful AND recognizing that those that fall into THAT trap are probably just as unbelieving as the idolaters (Titus 1:15).

Right Divider

Body part
@Lon:

My reading of the letters to Thyatira and Pergamos is that the "Balaam" and "Jezebel" mentioned were essentially introducing their teachings covertly. Balaam seemed to make people stumble into the sin and Jezebel taught some to sin - but did so in such a way that they were caught up in it maybe before they were aware of what was going on.
What people?

nikolai_42

What people?

But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Rev 2:14

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
Rev 2:20

Those that hold the doctrine of Balaam (in Pergamos) and those that were seduced by "Jezebel" (in Thyatira).

Right Divider

Body part
But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Rev 2:14

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
Rev 2:20

Those that hold the doctrine of Balaam (in Pergamos) and those that were seduced by "Jezebel" (in Thyatira).
"Those people" are Israel.

Right Divider

Body part
Even if I were to accept that as true, what difference would that make? Is it any less applicable to the church?
The book of Revelation is primarily to and about Israel.

If you try to apply it directly to the church which is His body... the body of Christ... you will be very confused.

Many prominent Christian teachers try to "teach" the book of Revelation and make an incredible mess out of it.

But, if you rightly divide as Paul commands, it's all very clear.