ECT Why Was Paul Baptized With Water?

Jerry Shugart

Paul's shows baptism was unnecessary by only baptizing 2 people & also the household of Stephanas

You still ignore the fact that Paul was saved prior to the time when he received the gospel of grace, the same gospel which he preached to the Gentiles.

He was saved on the road to Damascus when he believed that the Lord Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. That is the heart and soul of the gospel of the kingdom. And under that program a person must first believe and then after that that same person was baptized with water (Acts 8:36-37).

Again, Paul didn't receive the gospel of grace on the road to Damascus. Not long after Paul was converted on the Damascus road he preached the following message to the Jews:

"And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.....proving that this is the very Christ"
(Acts 9:20,22).​

At that time Paul had not yet received the gospel which he was to preach among the Gentiles. He wrote the following:

"But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus"
(Gal.1:15-17).​

When Paul believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, on the Damascus road he immediately went to Damascus (Acts 9:6-8). But when he received the gospel which he preached among the Gentiles he went immediately into Arabia.

That can only mean that Paul didn't preach the new program of God at the beginning of his ministry but instead at the beginning of his ministry he was preaching the gospel of the kingdom and a part of that program was submitting to the rite of water baptism.

That explains why Paul was baptized with water and why he baptized believers with water.

way 2 go

You still ignore the fact that Paul was saved prior to the time when he received the gospel of grace, the same gospel which he preached to the Gentiles.

He was saved on the road to Damascus when he believed that the Lord Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. That is the heart and soul of the gospel of the kingdom. And under that program a person must first believe and then after that that same person was baptized with water (Acts 8:36-37).

Again, Paul didn't receive the gospel of grace on the road to Damascus. Not long after Paul was converted on the Damascus road he preached the following message to the Jews:

"And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.....proving that this is the very Christ"
(Acts 9:20,22).​

At that time Paul had not yet received the gospel which he was to preach among the Gentiles. He wrote the following:

"But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus"
(Gal.1:15-17).​

When Paul believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, on the Damascus road he immediately went to Damascus (Acts 9:6-8). But when he received the gospel which he preached among the Gentiles he went immediately into Arabia.

That can only mean that Paul didn't preach the new program of God at the beginning of his ministry but instead at the beginning of his ministry he was preaching the gospel of the kingdom and a part of that program was submitting to the rite of water baptism.

That explains why Paul was baptized with water and why he baptized believers with water.
Paul was baptized with water because they were doing what they always had done.

Ananias was sent to lay his hands on him, the baptism was from doing what they had always done.

Act 9:11 And the Lord said to him, "Rise and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold, he is praying,
Act 9:12 and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight."

Act 9:17 So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

Jerry Shugart

You didn't even attempt to answer my point about when Paul received the gospel which he preached to the Gentiles.

All you continue to say is that every instance of water baptism associated with Paul was unneccesary.

way 2 go

You didn't even attempt to answer my point about when Paul received the gospel which he preached to the Gentiles.

All you continue to say is that every instance of water baptism associated with Paul was unneccesary.

Ananias was sent to lay his hands on him, the baptism was from doing what they had always done.

Act 9:11 And the Lord said to him, "Rise and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold, he is praying,
Act 9:12 and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight."

Act 9:17 So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

Paul's shows baptism was unnecessary by only baptizing 2 people & also the household of Stephanas

Jerry Shugart

If it was unnecessary he wouldn't have baptized anyone with water. At the time when he first began baptizing with water he had not yet received the gospel which he was to preach among the Gentiles. He wrote the following:

"But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus" (Gal.1:15-17).​

way 2 go

If it was unnecessary he wouldn't have baptized anyone with water. At the time when he first began baptizing with water he had not yet received the gospel which he was to preach among the Gentiles. He wrote the following:
"But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus" (Gal.1:15-17).​

nice story , just conjecture , Paul went to Arabia therefore baptism ?

fact is

Paul shows baptism was unnecessary by only baptizing 2 people & also the household of Stephanas

fact is

Ananias was not sent to baptize Paul

Jerry Shugart

nice story , just conjecture , Paul went to Arabia therefore baptism ?

I quoted Paul's own words and you call it conjecture! Paul did baptize people but according to you those baptisms were unnecessary.

Too bad you were not living back then so you could have told Paul not to waste his time baptizing anyone because those baptisms were not necessary.

I have nothing more to say on this subject. Have a nice day1

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I quoted Paul's own words and you call it conjecture! Paul did baptize people but according to you those baptisms were unnecessary.

Too bad you were not living back then so you could have told Paul not to waste his time baptizing anyone because those baptisms were not necessary.

:up:

way 2 go

Your conclusion of Paul went to Arabia therefore baptism is conjecture .

Correct the baptisms Paul did were unnecessary .

Paul didn't spend even .00001 % of his life baptizing 2 people & also the household of Stephanas

:carryon:

Jerry Shugart

Correct the baptisms Paul did were unnecessary .

Those who preached the following gospel which Paul also preached baptized those who believed:

"Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead"
(Ro.1:1-4).​

That is the gospel Paul preached in the synagogues to the Jews. That gospel was based on what the OT prophets foretold but the gospel Paul preached to the Gentiles was kept secret and wasn't revealed in the OT:

"Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began" (Ro.16:25).​

Things that differ are not the same.

Right Divider

Body part

Those who preached the following gospel which Paul also preached baptized those who believed:

"Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead"
(Ro.1:1-4).​

That is the gospel Paul preached in the synagogues to the Jews. That gospel was based on what the OT prophets foretold but the gospel Paul preached to the Gentiles was kept secret and wasn't revealed in the OT:

"Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began" (Ro.16:25).​

Things that differ are not the same.
Bad boy Jerry, going back on your word.

Why did those of Israel need to repent AND be baptized with water? Why is there only ONE non-water baptism for the body of Christ?

Things that differ are not the same!

Jerry Shugart

Bad boy Jerry, going back on your word.

I didn't go back on my word. As usual you cannot understand spiritual things and that explains why you can't see the difference between a gospel which was foretold by the OT prophets and one which was kept secret since the beginning of the world.

Why did those of Israel need to repent AND be baptized with water?

So that the Israelites could serve the Lord Jesus in holiness and righteousness. They were to have a change of mind (repent) in regard to the sinful lifestyles they had been living. That is why Paul was baptized and that is why he baptized some believers.

Why do you think that Paul was baptized and why do you think that he baptized some believers?

Right Divider

Body part
I didn't go back on my word. As usual you cannot understand spiritual things and that explains why you can't see the difference between a gospel which was foretold by the OT prophets and one which was kept secret since the beginning of the world.
You're lying about both what you said (and then did) and what I believe.

So that the Israelites could serve the Lord Jesus in holiness and righteousness. They were to have a change of mind (repent) in regard to the sinful lifestyles they had been living. That is why Paul was baptized and that is why he baptized some believers.

Why do you think that Paul was baptized and why do you think that he baptized some believers?
It's been explained already by me and others. You must not even read our posts.

Jerry Shugart

You're lying about both what you said (and then did) and what I believe.

Prove that I lied! All you do is make false accusations against me in the hope that no one will notice that you really have no answer to the Scriptures which contradict your ideas.

It's been explained already by me and others. You must not even read our posts.

So you must agree with the idea that when Paul was baptized with water that baptism was unnecessary?

You must also agree with the idea put forth on this thread that when Paul baptized believers that baptism was unnecessary!

I am sure that you think that the gospel which was promised in the OT is the same gospel which was kept secret since the world began.

Jerry Shugart

Yep, different households.

Since you know so much about households then it will be an easy thing for you to explain why the household of the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved apart from works despite the fact that the Lord Jesus said the following to them:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life"
(Jn.6:47).​

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6:63).​

According to you the Lord Jesus' words were not sufficient to result in spiritual life to the household of the Jews who lived under the law because they could not be saved until they believed and then did works.

Right Divider

Body part
Prove that I lied! All you do is make false accusations against me in the hope that no one will notice that you really have no answer to the Scriptures which contradict your ideas.
I already showed the post where you said you had nothing more to say and THEN a post where you said more :dizzy:

So you must agree with the idea that when Paul was baptized with water that baptism was unnecessary?
Yep. It's clear from the fullness of all scripture put together.

You must also agree with the idea put forth on this thread that when Paul baptized believers that baptism was unnecessary!
Was it?

I am sure that you think that the gospel which was promised in the OT is the same gospel which was kept secret since the world began.
You're LYING again Jerry.

Just LOOK (for a change) at my SIGNATURE and you'll SEE this:
Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

glorydaz

Since you know so much about households then it will be an easy thing for you to explain why the household of the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved apart from works despite the fact that the Lord Jesus said the following to them:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life"
(Jn.6:47).​

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6:63).​

According to you the Lord Jesus' words were not sufficient to result in spiritual life to the household of the Jews who lived under the law because they could not be saved until they believed and then did works.

You're becoming a thread pest.

Was it sufficient for the Jews to merely look at the serpent on the pole? Was following the Law no longer required of them? Jesus pointed you to that example, but you refuse to believe Him. In fact, you refuse to believe many things our Lord said.

You refuse to believe Him when He says to keep His commandments, to teach obedience to the Law, to forgive in order to be forgiven. You, Jerry, are a cherry picker, and not a very good one at that.

Working righteousness in order to be accepted by God is from the beginning. Obedience always came first, even with Abraham, the Father of Faith.

Genesis 12:1 Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:​

When Jesus spoke to the Jews, He was speaking to those of the Circumcision....obedience to the Law was understood by everyone but you, Jerry. Just because obedience wasn't mentioned in one particular verse you have gotten hung up on, doesn't mean it isn't there (understood by those addressed and the one addressing them).