ECT The content of faith, required to be believed, in Mt.-John, prior to the dbr

Danoh

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Are you saying that to convince these Jews that Jesus was the Christ, Paul explained to them the kingdom Jesus said was at hand but didn’t establish?

He showed them out of the Law and the Prophets that He Whom they had crucified had been the Christ.

He attempts to get that settled.

He did that in Acts 17, for example.

IF he is allowed to get that settled in their minds, he THEN proceeds to lay out that Daniel's 70th Week has been interrupted.

You see his having done just that in Acts 17 when you read his reminding them of this in his writings to them - 1st and 2nd Thessalonians.

In 2nd Thessalonians 2, for example, he reminds them he had taught about said delay "when I was yet with you."

He lays all that out WHEN speaking to JEWs and they receive the first part of THEIR equation - that Jesus had been their PROPHESIED Christ.

In 1st and 2 Thessalonians he also reminds them of his having taught them what part of God's Kingdom they are a part of.

That they have been delivered from that wrath to come in which the Lord returns to restore David's throne on the Earth. They are not part of that part of God's kingdom.

Those who will be a part of that, will be going through its Tribulation FIRST, see Peter's preaching to Israel, in Acts 3.

When Paul meets with unbelief on the part of Jews, he does not go into all that.

Instead, he moves on after relating he that "lo" he will go to the Gentiles - that "they will hear it."

Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks. 18:5 And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ. 18:6 And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.

As for the "church" in Matthew 16, that "church" is Messianic. Look at its required belief - "Thou art the Christ."

Matthew 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

In John 1:47, that is tied to "thou art the Son of God...the King of Israel."

John 1:45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. 1:49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

This Messianic assembly is Matt. 21:43's "another nation."

It awaits the Lord's return to Israel, in His wrath.

Luke 12:31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. 12:32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. 12:33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth. 12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 12:35 Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning; 12:36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. 12:37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them. 12:38 And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. 12:39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. 12:40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.

Acts 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 1:7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. 1:10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Notice verse 23 below - both Israel's are on the Earth when He returns - to clean house.

Acts 3:18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. 3:22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. 3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. 3:24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. 3:25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

That is NOT Paul's gospel.

1 Thessalonians 1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake. 1:6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost: 1:7 So that ye were ensamples to all that believe in Macedonia and Achaia. 1:8 For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad; so that we need not to speak any thing. 1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

Verse 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

turbosixx

"but they were looking forward to it"-you

I see where I steered this slightly off track, my apologies. When I said “they” were looking forward to Jesus’s DBR I meant to say Jesus was looking forward to it. Jesus told them about it but they didn’t fully understand. Matt. 16:21

What I’m trying to understand from your viewpoint is if the kingdom and the church are not the same thing, why Jesus would tell them to preach the kingdom was at hand when he knew it wouldn’t be established for thousands of years.

turbosixx

It's not that I want them to be different, they just are.

Acts 3 speaks of a future blotting out of sins, so the remission of Acts 2 is not the same as forgiveness of sins in Acts 13, and the atonement of Romans 6.

How far in the future is Peter telling them that "your sins" will be wiped away?
Acts 3:19 Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;
It looks to me like once they repent and return their sins are forgiven because they will be Christians.

Now is the time the OT prophets looked forward to not something still in the future.
Acts 3:23 And it will be that every soul that does not heed that prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.' 24 And likewise, all the prophets who have spoken, from Samuel and his successors onward, also announced these days.

Is it possible that you really want them to be the same? Have you asked yourself why?

I just want to know the truth. That's why I test things I hear.

Last edited:

turbosixx

Thanks for your explanation.
The main problem I have is a supposed future for Israel. It doesn’t make sense to me when as Romans points out, the Jews are no better than the Gentiles because the problem is sin. Having the law, having the priesthood, having the temple, having the oracles of God and everything else that goes with it didn’t remove what separated them from God. A physical kingdom wouldn’t remove the barrier separating the Jews and Gentiles from God but Christ’s church does. The Jews were looking for a kingdom based on the law and the OT prophets. Just as the law was a shadow of faith so was the nation of Israel and it's physical kingdom. God uses earthly things to help us to understand spiritual things.
Jn. 3:12 If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?

I'd like to look at a couple of the passages you use here and the verse you bolded. Here Peter is trying to convince them to believe in Jesus and gives them a warning. You mention Jesus’ return but when does a soul have the opportunity to “hear that prophet”? While they’re still living. He's not talking about a nation but individuals. The time was now for them to believe in Christ. They’re future hope is based on the decision they make while they still had breath. Look at the next verse. The prophets from Samuel on spoke of “these days” not some day in the future.

Notice verse 23 below - both Israel's are on the Earth when He returns - to clean house.

Acts 3:18 3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. 3:24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. 3:25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Paul on the other had is preaching to those who have already been convinced and believe in Jesus and have been delivered from the wrath, both Jew and Gentile.

That is NOT Paul's gospel.

1 Thessalonians 1
Verse 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

The Jews were looking for the Messiah based on the OT prophecies. According to them the Messiah was to set up his kingdom (assumed physical) and conquer the Jews enemies and establish peace. Since Jesus said the kingdom was at hand and upon them but didn’t set it up, were the Jews justified in killing him?

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote Originally Posted by Lazy afternoon View Post

Paul was not greater than the apostles before him--

2Co 11:5 For I suppose I was not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles.

but Paul was not one of the chiefest Apostles.

LA

Paul was the best !!

He was more chiefish

The text reads that Paul was not the a whit behind the very chiefest apostles, and therefore the equal of them,

and not superior to them, but he was not referring to himself as one of the chiefest apostles in that verse.

LA

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I see where I steered this slightly off track, my apologies. When I said “they” were looking forward to Jesus’s DBR I meant to say Jesus was looking forward to it. Jesus told them about it but they didn’t fully understand. Matt. 16:21
Luke explicitly states the meaning was kept from them. So, we can 100% verify they did not preach he would die for their sins. That was first revealed to Paul. So what did they preach?

john w

Hall of Fame

You made up this "didn’t fully understand"-they were clueless-it was hid from them.

1 Cor. 15:1-4 KJV "gospel"

Death
Burial
Resurrection

Survey the book...

1.The 12 did not know of the impending dbr-it was hid from them, until later in the Lord's ministry-and yet, prior to them knowing, they were preaching "the gospel of the kingdom:"

"For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day. But they understood not that saying, and were afraid to ask him." Mark 9:31-32 KJV

"Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again. And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken." Luke 18:31-34 KJV

"For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead." John 20:9 KJV

2. Peter tried to prevent the Lord Jesus Christ's death, and His death was a key component of 1 Cor. 15:1-4, by which we are reconciled:

"From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee" Mt. 16:21-22 KJV

"And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him." Mark 8:31-32 KJV

Peter’s response was to rebuke the Lord Jesus Christ. Today, in this dispensation, when someone rebukes the gospel of Christ, what do we call that someone? Lost.Peter certainly wasn’t “looking forward" to the dbr.

3. Even after the Lord's death, burial, and resurrection, the 12 initially did not believe it:

"And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted." Mt. 28:17 KJV

"And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not. After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country. And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them. Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen." Mark 16:11 KJV

"And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest. It was Mary Magdalene and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles. And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not." Luke 24:9-11 KJV

What do we call someone who “believes not” the resurrection? You got it-lost! If Peter and the 10 were “looking forward to" the dbr, they certainly would not have denied the resurrection after it happened.

" And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?" Luke 24:41 KJV

Therefore, they were not preaching the dbr, "the gospel" of 1 Cor. 15:1-4 KJV, as a basis of justification, at least prior to its occurrence, but they were preaching the gospel of the kingdom. They certainly were not "looking forward" to it, and this "didn't fully understand it" jazz is made up-they knew NADA about it, as it was hid from them. They initially denied the resurrection.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Therefore, they were not preaching the dbr, "the gospel" of 1 Cor. 15:1-4 KJV, as a basis of justification, at least prior to its occurrence, but they were preaching the gospel of the kingdom. They certainly were not "looking forward" to it, and this "didn't fully understand it" jazz is made up-they knew NADA about it, as it was hid from them. They initially denied the resurrection.

Excellent.

turbosixx

You made up this "didn’t fully understand"-they were clueless-it was hid from them.

1 Cor. 15:1-4 KJV "gospel"

Death
Burial
Resurrection

Survey the book...

1.The 12 did not know of the impending dbr-it was hid from them, until later in the Lord's ministry-and yet, prior to them knowing, they were preaching "the gospel of the kingdom:"

"For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day. But they understood not that saying, and were afraid to ask him." Mark 9:31-32 KJV

"Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again. And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken." Luke 18:31-34 KJV

"For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead." John 20:9 KJV

2. Peter tried to prevent the Lord Jesus Christ's death, and His death was a key component of 1 Cor. 15:1-4, by which we are reconciled:

"From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee" Mt. 16:21-22 KJV

"And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him." Mark 8:31-32 KJV

Peter’s response was to rebuke the Lord Jesus Christ. Today, in this dispensation, when someone rebukes the gospel of Christ, what do we call that someone? Lost.Peter certainly wasn’t “looking forward" to the dbr.

3. Even after the Lord's death, burial, and resurrection, the 12 initially did not believe it:

"And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted." Mt. 28:17 KJV

"And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not. After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country. And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them. Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen." Mark 16:11 KJV

"And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest. It was Mary Magdalene and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles. And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not." Luke 24:9-11 KJV

What do we call someone who “believes not” the resurrection? You got it-lost! If Peter and the 10 were “looking forward to" the dbr, they certainly would not have denied the resurrection after it happened.

" And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?" Luke 24:41 KJV

Ok, I agree with your point, it was hid from them. I don’t see how that changes anything. Who told them what to preach?

After Peter’s confession, Jesus begins to show them his DBR.
Matt. 16:21 From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

If Jesus was showing them his DBR and his DBR was to establish his church, where do we see Jesus preparing the people for its coming? From your viewpoint why does he continue to preach the kingdom? I believe he continues to preach the kingdom because the church and kingdom are the same.

john w

Hall of Fame
Ok, I agree with your point, it was hid from them. I don’t see how that changes anything. Who told them what to preach?

After Peter’s confession, Jesus begins to show them his DBR.
Matt. 16:21 From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

If Jesus was showing them his DBR and his DBR was to establish his church, where do we see Jesus preparing the people for its coming? From your viewpoint why does he continue to preach the kingdom? I believe he continues to preach the kingdom because the church and kingdom are the same.

You missed it. Don't confuse your lack of reading comprehension skills, and your missing the point of the thread, with any alleged failure on my part, to be nothing but brilliant, and humble, while exhibiting stunning brilliance.

Take your seat.

turbosixx

You missed it.

That's why I'm asking you. I'm trying to understand from your viewpoint. Yes it was hid from the 12 but not Jesus. Everything preached is from Jesus. Even after his DBR they were still preaching the kingdom.

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike.

Why is God still preaching good news about the kingdom if it isn't to be established for thousands of years in the future?

Danoh

What I’m trying to understand from your viewpoint is if the kingdom and the church are not the same thing, why Jesus would tell them to preach the kingdom was at hand when he knew it wouldn’t be established for thousands of years.

In my own understanding - from running all the passages within their particular scope and context - anytime the Twelve would attempt their own reasoning as to what the Lord was talking about, His actually intended sense through His words, would end up "hidden from them."

They were too much about walking by sight together with thinking a thing out through their own reasoning.

Read all the chapters where this happens, not just the passages isolated from their overall narrative.

What you are doing, Turbosixx, is using the Twelve's same kind of reasoning where theirs was faulty in that same way.

For example, they board that fishing vessel without bread. He just so happens to go Kwai Chang Cain on them by spouting a thing in the way He often did - in parables. Here, about the need to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees.

Reasoning within themselves, they conclude He is talking about their having not brought bread for the journey or some such.

His actually intented sense "hidden from them" by their own hand; by their own reasoning about what the heck He was talking about now.

Lol, there must have been times when He must have just scratched His head at their ways.

Of coarse, that last comment is my speculation - but one I am well aware of.

Meaning, every so often question what you have come to hold to - every so often, revisit an issue, trying to reevaluate it with new eyes...through the Scripture, of coarse.

Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Nehemiah 8:12 And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them.

Note the same principle, centuries later...

Luke 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

They failed to believe His words - to simply take Him at His word, end of doubt.

Whenever they would do that, His intended sense would end up "hidden from them" by their own hand.

Read that passage again - notice...

Luke 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

Luke 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

You see that? They SHOULD HAVE known, but had failed to believe Him when He told them.

Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" - case closed.

Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

So He does a Bible study with them that they might believe the written Word about the Living Word...

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

See that - He points out the things in all the Scriptures concerning Himself.

Note the same result related centuries earlier in Nehemiah:

Luke 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Another example...

Luke 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

He opened up the Scriptures unto them simply by pointing to the pasages and saying "these are the words which I spake unto you...concerning me..."

Paul does the same thing...

Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures, 17:3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

Its is the standard principle...

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

It is the pattern..

2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak; 4:14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.

Do that, and you won't be wondering why Christ preached the kingdom this, if the Church that...

turbosixx

I think I understand what your trying to get across to me. What I see is Jesus speaking about spiritual things and they think physical things, like the bread.

Do that, and you won't be wondering why Christ preached the kingdom this, if the Church that...

That doesn’t help me see it from your viewpoint. The kingdom was preached before and after his DBR. Why if it wasn’t to be established and where was it offered to them for them to reject it?

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike.
What was to good news of the kingdom if it hasn’t and wasn’t going to happen?

Danoh

Their aspect of God's spiritual kingdom, or rule one day - is physical "IN Earth."

Matthew 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

The Body's aspect of God's spiritual Kingdom IN Heaven is literal in Heaven NOW...

Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: