REPORT: TOL Statement of faith

Aimiel

Greywolf said:
Maybe there could be a TOL Certified Christian™ option. :think:
Or, perhaps, Bona fide Believer, for someone who subscribes to the TOL Statement of Faith.

Aimiel

Crow said:
I'm saved by the grace which came from Him with my belief in Christ as my Savior, not in how I interpret the length of the days referred to in the Genesis account, nor in Aimiel's interpretation of what constitutes a Christian.
I'm not trying to say anyone isn't saved, merely want to allow those who don't have any glaring 'red flags' to be able to be designated as such.

Crow

Aimiel said:
I'm not trying to say anyone isn't saved, merely want to allow those who don't have any glaring 'red flags' to be able to be designated as such.

So which of these categories would you OECs post under?

Mormon - Jehovah's Witness - Jewish - Muslim - Hindu - Buddhist - Agnostic - Atheist - Wiccan - Satanist - Pagan

SOTK

Crow,

He already said that he doesn't see OECs as non-christians. I think you have misunderstood him from the beginning.

Charity

Aimiel said:
Maybe we should have all members who wish to 'profess' Christianity take the TOL Statement of Faith seriously enough to agree with it. Anyone who doesn't shouldn't be allowed to pretend that they are Christian, at least on TOL.

SOTK

Aimiel said:
I don't see that as an issue, neither do I see what you believe to be un-sound doctrine. I'm pretty much in the 'who cares' ballpark on that one. I believe what God said, although He never told us what (exactly) the terms 'without form and void' mean. It could mean that the earth was created, but not pressed into His 'cookie-cutter' yet, and we don't know how long before He began creation that it was 'void.'

Crow

SOTK, the TOL statement of faith states that the God created everything in six literal days. Aimiel advocated using this standard for who can post as Christian or not. That would exclude many OEC.

I'm a OEC. I disagree with that, although I can understand and respect those who believe it.

But Aimiel should really understand what he is saying when he advocates restricting who can be called "Christian" to anything other than those who have accepted Christ as Savior and received His Grace.

Incidentally, the TOL statement of faith does not profess to be a litmus test for what is and is not Christian. It is stating the beliefs of the owners of this site.

Aimiel

You pass my litmus test, by professing faith in Christ. Those who don't demonstrate any, and don't endure sound doctrine ought not to be allowed to. Mormons don't fit into the Christian category, any more than Satanists or those pagans who claim to be Christian but aren't; such as David2, who claims that Christ 'faked' His Death.

SOTK

Crow said:
SOTK, the TOL statement of faith states that the God created everything in six literal days. Aimiel advocated using this standard for who can post as Christian or not. That would exclude many OEC.

But Aimiel should really understand what he is saying when he advocates restricting who can be called "Christian" to anything other than those who have accepted Christ as Savior and received His Grace.

Yes, I understand that one has to be careful when going down that road, however, I understand Aimiel's frustration with "wolves in sheep's clothing" around here. I also understood what he meant and what he was driving at.

I'm not stating I agree with Aimiel, but I do share his frustration.

You lost me when you posted this:

Crow said:
I'm a OEC. I disagree with that, although I can understand and respect those who believe it.

You are OEC but disagree with it?

Crow said:
Incidentally, the TOL statement of faith does not profess to be a litmus test for what is and is not Christian. It is stating the beliefs of the owners of this site.

I know that I do not think it professes to be a litmus test nor do I believe that Aimiel thinks it does.

julie21

Isn't all that matters is when asked on that glorious day of the Lord, "What did you believe regarding my Son, Jesus?" that we answer "Believed on Him, totally and so acted accordingly."?
It may matter to some here what one believes re OEC v YEC and the matter of 'literal' days, but how does your view on that make you any less a Christian? Personally, I can't imagine Christ popping that particular question to us on His return.We know He created it all...and that is all that some Christians need to know. The 'basic fact' of His creating it as opposed to some imagined creation theory. We have the fundamental Truth of who He is in all His glory and that is the basic tenet we need to base being Christian on.
Thank goodness it is not a litmus test for being a true follower of Christ, but as Crow said, merely the stated belief [re the Earth creation length] of the owners of TOL.
"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror ; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part ; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

Aimiel

I'm fine with that, on THAT DAY. 'Till then, we ought to not allow someone who isn't Christian to proclaim that they are, in a bald-faced lie. That's all I'm saying. We appear to condone their actions, when we do.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Give them a test and then....

Give them a test and then....

Aimiel said:
I'm fine with that, on THAT DAY. 'Till then, we ought to not allow someone who isn't Christian to proclaim that they are, in a bald-faced lie. That's all I'm saying. We appear to condone their actions, when we do.

Just Hammer em when ya see em Aimiel and I'll do the same!

Crow

SOTK said:
Yes, I understand that one has to be careful when going down that road, however, I understand Aimiel's frustration with "wolves in sheep's clothing" around here. I also understood what he meant and what he was driving at.

I'm not stating I agree with Aimiel, but I do share his frustration.

You lost me when you posted this:

You are OEC but disagree with it?

I know that I do not think it professes to be a litmus test nor do I believe that Aimiel thinks it does.

I disagree with the YEC position. I believe that God chose to create the universe and life in a manner which spans much longer than the 6000 to 10,000 years over which most YEC Christians believe that these have existed.

I respect their position, but I disagree with it.

julie21

Aimiel : I'm fine with that, on THAT DAY. 'Till then, we ought to not allow someone who isn't Christian to proclaim that they are, in a bald-faced lie. That's all I'm saying. We appear to condone their actions, when we do.
Amiel, I do not believe for one minute that this,"We appear to condone their actions, when we do" is so...if you read a post that does not have any of the Gospel truth within, or is a distortment of the Gospel in any shape or form, it will become evident from those who are truly in Christ posting replies howling it down and so will plainly show up the "wolves in sheep's clothing'" for what they truly are.
Do not forget that there will be a time when one comes who will proclaim to be a Christian and many will follow him...but if he posted on here, I am sure that he would be shown by those who are true followers of the Lord to be just what he is...a deceiver, no matter what he proclaims under his avatar.
In that same vein, I believe that the posting is the thing which shows what a person on TOL truly is, not what appears under their avatar.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Crow said:
I disagree with the YEC position. I believe that God chose to create the universe and life in a manner which spans much longer than the 6000 to 10,000 years over which most YEC Christians believe that these have existed.

I respect their position, but I disagree with it.

Crow, you probably have heard all this before, but... Have you read "In The Beginning" by Walt Brown?, (you really should if you haven't) and... Taking the Bible literally (as in "six days") just gives you a great sense of confidence.

Your friend no matter how you respond, :D Jeff

(did I mention I am a Young Earth'er?) :)

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Aimiel said:
I would guess that on THAT DAY most of us will be surprised about a few things. Those of us that ended up inside Heaven will likely be glad to learn the truth about the extent of our error. Those in Hell.. not so much!

Aimiel

It just bothers me that someone can proclaim Christ and then also proclaim that Jesus faked His own death, because there might be people who read such garbage and think that it might be valid.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Aimiel said:
It just bothers me that someone can proclaim Christ and then also proclaim that Jesus faked His own death, because there might be people who read such garbage and think that it might be valid.
"Proclaiming Christ" doesn't exempt humans from exercising their free will to propose and discuss ideas you consider outrageous, does it?

Aimiel

When they proclaim that they believe in Jesus out of one side of their mouth and then call Him a liar out of the other, it merely proves who they believe and who they don't.

julie21

Aimiel said:
But you and I lots of others are here to show them the falsehood of that, aren't we?
As believers,we are called upon to make the truth known to others and where someone is proclaiming such an untruth as that mentioned, then that is what you do.
I really believe that someone, even a non-Christian, reading a post such as the one you refer to, would have to have some idea of the true nature of the person who posted it, and see it for the garbage that it is.